Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Post by precita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Vegeta should have been knocked out in 5 minutes, not half the episode. Nor did we need another flashback, and Jiren just doing mindless punching on Goku and Vegeta.

Stamina issues still were poor here, the last bit of energy Vegeta gave let Goku power up to Blue again? Instead it should have just let him walk around in his base stage. I also dislike how Ultra Instinct seemingly heals Goku 100% but whatever

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 pm

-Jiren: "No more playing around.", okay, explain how he was able to stay more than half the episode. Someone should give this idiot a watch or something, does he even realize how many minutes are left (in-anime time).

-Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely satisfied with Vegeta's overall performance, I didn't expect him to do more or anything, his last moment was nice and a bit emotional, but it was dragged too much with repeated lines, became really annoying especially considering that everyone know how it's going to end already. ( so please don't include me in your fanboy wars or whatever, it's not like I even have particular liking to Vegeta over other characters or something). They took it to another level with Vegeta -seemingly unconscious- hanging on some rubbles and even made Belmoud ask the Grand Priest if he's out or not lol. I legit thought Jiren is going to fight Goku while Vegeta's hanging there for a moment but nah. We need 23 minutes for this episode after all and it has to end on that exact cliffhanger.

-Things I liked: Goku's "Vegeta, I'll take your feelings!", or "love" if you want lol. Although it's cliche as hell, I liked when Goku remembers everyone last second. Maybe because of the (new?) soundtrack.
Also this:

And lol they're trying so hard to make us forget about Frieza, I feel this show thinks we're stupid or something. Even the characters themselves forgot about him even though he didn't appear in the audience seats nor did question his whereabouts in anyway. Pretty sure when he shows himself, all of them will be surprised like a bunch of idiots.
Last edited by OverHeaven on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 pm

WTF happened to Freeza? So nobody notices he hasn't been ringed out?

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Lame.

-I usually don't comment on animation, but this episode was lacking in the Vegeta half. The punches lack impact, and coming from a strong fighter like Jiren, they don't convey the feel that a lot of damage is being dealt with. It may have been the video quality I watched it with, but I strangely got the impression that Jiren's punches didn't connect to Vegeta's body at all, as if there was an inch/few centimeter-long gap between them. Also, Vegeta kept reminding me of Broly with his steroids-powered build from this episode. The Goku half of the episode was marginally better, at least, but nothing special.

-The Vegeta half was a complete waste of time. Vegeta could have been eliminated within a single minute of episode time (not ToP time) since nothing of interest was presented. We didn't need to be reminded once again that he was fighting for his family and Princess Cabba, and even if Vegeta's beatdowns are always a highlight for me, this one wasn't. It was simply boring.

-I'm glad Freeza didn't show up in this episode at all. His recent appearances since episode 125 have been handled terribly, ranging from inconsistent characterization episode to episode to forced Namek saga references. Shame, considering he was my favorite U7 member.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:04 pm

I have to admit I liked seeing Roshi say, "I can't take Goku being beat up like this."

It actually hold impact, because Roshi has never seen Goku's fights in DBZ. He doesn't know the hell he went through.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 pm

People don't seem to know about dramatic irony. We the audience know something the characters dont. Which is what is happening with Freeza. The characters are very focused on this that they arent paying attention to him. Nothing wrong with that.

Great episode. Cried a bit. Vegeta is such a great character and has come a long way from even the Boo arc. I loved how Goku knew what Vegeta wanted the moment he gave him energy and how Vegeta wasnt afraid and way more easy going about relying on Goku. Thing about his character is how organically he changes. He may do something similar especially before like in the original manga, but its with much less restraint and more want than ever before. Really like how Goku isnt thinking about himself anymore and it was Vegeta that had helped him on that too. Just goes to show how well and great both of these characters are together and why it was an excellent decision to make them a duo. Hopefully people shut up about Vegeta getting beat down when both Goku and him got their shit rocked equally.

Next ep looks fantastic. Jiren is shown to beat pre mastered UI and my god that tease to masteted was glorious.

Little note. I dont think Supers end is as clear cut as people think its gonna be. Toei know about franchise fatigue and its what led to GTs cancellation. Super was planned to end for a while and I'm sure fatigue was factored in. DB has been going strong for 8 years with a new series over twice as long as GT. Not to mention AT's name and its official status in the story. But fatigue will set in and i think ending the series now is a good business move. Let some time pass and its what leads to hunger and itll affect the film hard especially with DBs popularity being at an all time high.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 pm

This is the type of action I've been missing in the ToP for a while. So flashy and over the top.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 pm

It was OK, but it felt a bit too slow paced.

amuroray
Not-So-Newbie

Post by amuroray » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 pm

The inconsistency's and stupidity has reached new heights. This is awful.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 pm

The art was average, but Vegeta cheering Goku on, and Goku taking Vegeta's feelings (shouldering his load) was good.

I couldn't help thinking "they're padding for time behind the scenes" during all the flashbacks. It was nice to hear Hiromi Tsuru one last time. I'm not a VegeBul fan though so it didn't really hit me the way I think they meant for it to hit. I thought it was just nice.

I'm more convinced Freeza's gonna pull something over the next 3 episodes. Somehow Jiren and Goku will ring each other out, and Freeza will be left standing, but because the series is ending he won't get his wish for some reason or another, and it'll be used instead to bring back the other universes. I don't know who started the theory, but I'm definitely in agreement on it at the moment.

Full UI looks much better in-episode; crisis(?) averted. Also it looks like I might get my "Goku destroys his shirt through sheer force of his transformation sequence" after all? I'm cool with that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Well...that was a bit of a drag, to say the least. None of the emotional moments really landed for me, probably due to the terrible direction. Hell, when ULTRA FREAKING INSTINCT feels dry and bland in your episode, you know you've messed up royally. If you want an example of what bad direction is, watch that entire Ultra Instinct section again. No impact whatsoever.

Also...THIS is how Vegeta is going to go out in this show? Crying and completely failing to do anything useful in the plot or have any meaningful character change? This just felt so bizarre to me. Usually, when this sort of moment happens in a show, there's some sort of resolution with the character, where they either help move the plot forward or go through a major character shift. But nope, nothing happened here. He just got the shit beat of him, heard some inspirational speech from Bulma that amounted to nothing, and lost. Dear god, I wasn't even expecting much and I'm let down.

This was typical Super, with interesting ideas being presented with just TERRIBLE execution. They were clearly going for the whole Rocky vibe of the hero getting the shit beat out of them as everyone looks on in despair, but the direction just could not convey that idea like it should have. And this is unfortunately ANOTHER instance where people will give the show credit for the ideas it's presenting, but they'll ignore the mediocre execution of what ACTUALLY happened in the episode.

The only real positive for me was the fighting itself, which I quite enjoyed due to having ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY for once. That was refreshing. Other than that, it was just whatever I guess. I enjoyed some sections, and found myself pretty bored in others. And the fact that such a mundane episode like this is coming this late in the arc makes it even worse.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:14 pm

It did feel fairly fillerish, but this was emotional as well.

Vegeta's final stand went about how I expected. Especially with Hiromi Tsurus passing, it really had a lot more weight behind it. Loved the call backs with Vegeta crying and leaving things to Goku

And that awakening of Ultra Instinct was insane! I loved it! Sucks that we have to wait 2 weeks to actually see it in action but I'm hyped!

This was a fairly average episode in my eyes. Lots of good but slow paced. We had to get rid of Vegeta and set the stage for the finale

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 pm

If Jiren managed to land a hit against mastered UI, does that mean he is angel level or above?

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:19 pm

This, with an emotional music. Try to think about it for a minute.
Last edited by OverHeaven on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:19 pm

I liked the episode even if it "shits" on Vegeta. Never giving up, trust, and so on, it was one of the very good episodes in my opinion.
precita wrote:WTF happened to Freeza? So nobody notices he hasn't been ringed out?
That's obviously the chekov's gun so Freeza can win the tournament. Though like it's been said for the past 3 weeks, Freeza should've stayed down after Toppo defeated him instead of reappearing in all episodes.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 pm

I was actually enjoying the regurgitated Vegeta content until that Final Flash(any one counting how many he did this arc?), that was like a bucket of cold water to the reality that was the unimaginative and repetitive Vegeta storyline - the promise to Cabba is the only glimmer.
Surprisingly they were being consistent with the stamina issue until the supposed drained Vegeta(any one counting? :P) gave his power to Goku.

The second half was classic Dragon Ball going through the motions very slow to reach the obvious.

Ultimately it was a bland episode with the exception of Goku's gut punch to Jiren and maybe the whole trust talk, opposite view of Jiren, yadayadayda. It's just really hard to care for that little hope of substance at this point.

Hoping for good action next episode.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 pm

amuroray wrote:The inconsistency's and stupidity has reached new heights. This is awful.
My thoughts exactly. At this pointy Toei can just show us a plot point checklist scribbled on a napkin for 30 min and I'd barely notice the difference.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Wow. Toriyama/Toei have done it again. I'm speechlees.

We are in such a great string of amazing episodes, each one topping the last.

I knew Toriyana/Toei were going to hit the ending out of the park : )

Thank you Toriyama/Toei.

Episode 128 is now one of my all time favorite episodes in Super, joining 110, 116, 118, 121, 123, 125, 126, 127.

And man was it an emotional episode too. Probably one of the most emotional episodes yet. Where do you even begin with such an amazing episode like this. Just wow.

I will give my expanded thoughts in a few.

Truly amazimg and emotional episode

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY6YlpJz-e4
This scene was perfection, despite how cliche it is. Music and voice acting can affect me easily.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 pm

What was the purpose of this episode? What was its usefulness in the plot?

Goku awaken the UI? Well, he could do it on EP 129 himself.

Half of the EP was Vegeta being beaten in base form. Jiren could have defeated him with a punch.

The flashbacks were not as motivational as they should be. This whole story of promise should have propelled him far more than what was shown.
It could just happen to the same thing that happened against Toppo.
Beerus did not tell Vegeta anything he had not said to all the U7 warriors.

Vegeta had a good participation in the tournament, but a pathetic and disappointing farewell