Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Post by Extreme_kai » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 pm

First off, I'm surprised I was actually able to get on to Crunchyroll without much trouble this week. Now on to the episode itself, If I'm to be honest, I was not very impressed. The episode dragged on a lot more than it should have and considering there are now only 2 more episodes to wrap things up, It's not a good sign imo. I'll go into some of the positives first. The artwork in this episode looked amazing, as well as many of the visual effects. Goku's new instinct attack looked really cool, so did the transformation into mastered. The best part of the episode had to be when all the God's stood up in reverence to Goku, that was a very powerful scene. Beerus implying Goku has surpassed him is was also a great character moment for him.
My main gripe with this episode is that they dragged out the fight with Goku in unmastered UI way too long, It reminded me a lot of Vegeta's unnecessarily long elimination in 128. I think Goku should have transformed at least 10 mins into the episode, they could have easily cut a lot of the bleacher commentary. The reuses animation got very annoying as well. The first time you see the punch and dodge animation from Goku and Jiren it looks great, the fourth time around it get's annoying and downright tedious to watch. Another thing I absolutely hate, stop treating the audience like we're stupid. We all know that Freeza is still in the ring. They had the nerve to show the Zeno's only showing attention to Jiren and Goku's life bar as though they were the only two left. Same with U7 team, they act like Freeza doesn't even exist anymore. Like guys, I'll give you props if you're trying to throw off the other team that you still have another member, but outside of that explanation, it's just dumb. I give the episode a 5/10, not as bad as last weeks but still not as hyped as it should have been. They really need to deal with the issue of Freeza already. Stop pretending he's not there and utilize him for whatever purpose you intended by keeping him around to the end. With the rate that things are going, a cliffhanger ending doesn't sound so absurd anymore.

AnAverageJoe1998

Post by AnAverageJoe1998 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:27 pm

While the amount of reuse was rather unfortunate considering this episode place in this arc, I loved just about everything else. The direction and storyboard were fantastic. Beerus and Vegeta's character moments were really well done. And the final five minutes were sensational. I'm so glad that Mastered Ultra Instinct had such a strong debut. And if for nothing else, the new animation that did show up in this episode was great.

So while it might not live up to my exceptions, this was still a very strong episode. Here hoping that the climax delivers. :thumbup:

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 pm

Man, people here give this show so much shit.

I thought it was a pretty great episode, and afterwards I came here to discuss it and all I read is complaints about the animation. When I watched it I didn't even notice anything reused except for that bit from the OP of the exchanging of punches. Yet apparently there was SO MUCH reused animation enough to trigger people. I guess there is an unfortunate downside to being a super hardcore fan that people notice stuff like that to trigger them.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the episode, animation wise. I loved it and the next one looks even better.

Plot wise, however. That's another story.
I really hope that the mastered UI gives Goku some sort of character. The main reason I dislike this transformation right now is because it has turned him Jiren. A robot. He has no emotion, other than screaming every now and then. I want my main characters to have character to them; to react to things, to talk, to struggle, to laugh... you know, the things that make them relatable. I don't mind his ascension to godhood as long as he doesn't turn into an emotionless uninteresting character. Hopefully during next week's episode we get to see that Toriyama and Toei haven't taken away Goku's humanity for the sake of another hair color.
Last edited by 8bitdee on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:34 pm

I think that this episode was a fine one. I didn't like the reused animation in the first half. It was like they were combining episode 110 and 116 together. The second half was better and really had my attention. Karasawa's work was great and I like Nii's work on Mastered Ultra Instinct. The writing and direction of this episode was good as well. I did like how Beerus told everyone to shut up and watch at the end. Vegeta's moment of telling U11 to not underestimate Sayians was great as well. I hope that Episode 130 is better though and we do see in the NEP Jiren without a shirt as well.
Rating: 7 out of 10
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Man. I have to catch my breath after that episode

This was insane! This was beyond what I expected at the start of it all and this looks to just be the halfway point of things. The choreography of the fight was some of the best the series has had. And when Goku masters the form, the gods all stand up, and Jiren is swatted away...damn that was amazing.

But I will say all the reused animation really took me out of it at points. Especially the Kefla Kamehameha again. I expected the intro animation at some point, but the rest was too much.

And the big finale will be next week. This is the Dragonball I know and love. I cannot wait.

chickensguys
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chickensguys » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:38 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Holy shit, I am hype as fuck for next week. That was fantastic.

I think my favorite part, even over the last 5 minutes, was Vegeta shutting Belmod up by telling them all that they're idiots for not realizing Saiyans have plot-power. That was fucking great.

And Beerus' face when he realized what had happened...I really, really want the series to end in a short, fast Goku vs Beerus fight.
My thoughts exactly, I would add that the reuse of animation was done much better than in times passed.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:And Beerus' face when he realized what had happened...I really, really want the series to end in a short, fast Goku vs Beerus fight.
I would love that too! Beerus was the first antagonist and the first rival of Goku in this series, it would be the perfect closure of Super, a fight between them.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 pm

I heard a lot of negative buzz going into this one, and I'm actually somewhat glad about it, because I ended up being pleasantly surprised. The reused animation was a definite sore point, but everything else was great on the art and direction front. Aesthetically, it was amazing and very different from a usual episode.

On the writing side, interesting concepts and some good subtle moments all around, but I can't help but feel like this could have been covered in half the time. You wouldn't think this was a series literally two episodes away from ending.

Also, Vegeta's speech about Saiyans breaking their limits was a nice way to address the constant powerups and what-not while also reaffirming his support for Goku (this is good stuff, why'd you have to be so shit for 90% of the arc Geets?), but the fact that it specifically showed Gohan during the montage was kind of funny. Literally the only Saiyan not to get a transformation or significant powerup in the tourney, and he was the one who said he would!

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm glad Daisuki updated their page.

-It is unfortunate that they reused animation on several parts of the episode since some of the newly animated ones are nice, specially those on the second half with Yuya Takahashi-like artwork and spectacular visual effects.

-The peanut gallery took over half of the episode again. Most of the track "Desperate Assault" or whatever it is called now played during their talking segments instead of the action ones. On the bright side, I'm glad Vegeta managed to shut Belmod up for a bit.

-I surprisingly found the Zenos cute for the second time ever when they imitated Goku's kamehameha. The first time was when they imitated some character's rapid fire punching on an earlier episode.

-Suddenly, the arena was visibly sliced in half from afar once Jiren attacked Goku with the ki attack shower, despite it was already sliced in half since episode 125.

-I find it funny that in this fight, Goku, in his ultra instinct state and its completed form, shows less emotion than Jiren, while Jiren becomes more emotional.

-What is it with all the last ToP characters losing their top clothing? Why not the bottom one as well?

Would it be possible to reopen the discussion thread for episode 128?

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:48 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: On to the episode itself, If I'm to be honest, I was not very impressed. The episode dragged on a lot more than it should have and considering there are now only 2 more episodes to wrap things up, It's not a good sign imo. I'll go into some of the positives first. The artwork in this episode looked amazing, as well as many of the visual effects. Goku's new instinct attack looked really cool, so did the transformation into mastered. The best part of the episode had to be when all the God's stood up in reverence to Goku, that was a very powerful scene. Beerus implying Goku has surpassed him is was also a great character moment for him.
I agree. This episode did not live up to it's hype. There was so much reused animation that I was so bored out of my mind. I was only beginning to gain interest again once Vegeta begun his speech about Saiyans breaking their limits throughout the tournament. I thought that was such great writing on their part, glad he wasn't boasting about his pride for the 100th time. The last 5 minutes as well was great.

I can get past the reused animation. I don't know if its just me, but the aura effects for UI, SSB, and Jiren are so god damn ugly. I can barely see the characters through those eye-sores which is frustrating to deal with when they fight and being unable to see their movements through those effects.
Extreme_kai wrote: My main gripe with this episode is that they dragged out the fight with Goku in unmastered UI way too long, It reminded me a lot of Vegeta's unnecessarily long elimination in 128. I think Goku should have transformed at least 10 mins into the episode, they could have easily cut a lot of the bleacher commentary. The reuses animation got very annoying as well. The first time you see the punch and dodge animation from Goku and Jiren it looks great, the fourth time around it get's annoying and downright tedious to watch. Another thing I absolutely hate, stop treating the audience like we're stupid. We all know that Freeza is still in the ring. They had the nerve to show the Zeno's only showing attention to Jiren and Goku's life bar as though they were the only two left. Same with U7 team, they act like Freeza doesn't even exist anymore. Like guys, I'll give you props if you're trying to throw off the other team that you still have another member, but outside of that explanation, it's just dumb. I give the episode a 5/10, not as bad as last weeks but still not as hyped as it should have been. They really need to deal with the issue of Freeza already. Stop pretending he's not there and utilize him for whatever purpose you intended by keeping him around to the end. With the rate that things are going, a cliffhanger ending doesn't sound so absurd anymore.
That's what I thought was going to happen as well. This way we would get to see more of Mastered Ultra Instinct. The form doesn't look that bad looking at it in this episode. It looks beautiful.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Despite the reused animation, which was really in-your-face with how it was handled, the script and direction of the episode as whole made up for the shortcomings, and in turn, somehow made this an awesome episode. This episode was about the debut of Mastered Ulta Instinct, and they fucking nailed it. The final five minutes were just... jaw-droppingly awesome.

This will be the longest two weeks ever.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 pm

Only the last 10ish minutes were good, there was not much going on in this ep in terms of fighting and the peanut gallery repeat the same things over and over. Beerus, "shut up and watch" made me laugh.

And yeah, it's now obvious they're purposely hiding Freeza. Didn't even show Zeno look at him on his pad. So nobody notices Freeza not in the stands?

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Stuff I liked:

-Direction
-Aesthetics
-the choreography was a lot better than Super normal has
-Action

Stuff I didn't:

-Episode was bottom-heavy with dialog

Overall the episode was very engaging no doubt with the aid of the art and animation. Though, it seems that this'll yet another community-splitting one due to the heavy talking and the mastering of UI used as a cliffhanger.
Feels over Reals.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:59 pm

I really have no words to describe how good this episode was. They way it made me feel is what enjoying good television should be like. When Goku mastered Ultra Instinct it put me on the edge of my seat and I wanted to stand up and cheer. Vegeta’s speech had me choked up because he believes in Goku, I’m DEFINITELY gonna shed a tear during the last episode because this is it man. This is what it’s all about, you can’t ask for anything more as a fan of the series. I hope everyone else who loves this series could enjoy it as much as I did.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Beerus's "shut up and watch" bit gave me actual chills. Any character that essentially gave a monologue here has had some of the best writing in Super for a while. Completely pinpointed Whis and Beerus's development over the course of Super, and that's something absolutely commendable. I'm genuinely looking forward to next week's episode, especially with the opening stare-down and closing transformation punctuating the spectacle of the Tournament. Who wrote this episode, and who told him to put actual substance in a Jiren episode?

.... but, the actual fight wasn't much for spectacle. You can't genuinely hype your audience up with reused fluff, especially if the fluff doesn't lead anywhere? I'm used to Super, and even Z's greatest moments having visible seams when reaching their climaxes, but 118 had plenty of reuse in its first half and I consider it the best episode of this Tournament thus far. Karasawa's contributions were lovely though, especially with the gorgeous effects work with his explosions. I don't find this episode as offensive as opinions in the Animation Catalogue have made it out to be, but it's undeniable that it's somewhat of a shame. Lot of gross Yamamuro corrections as well. These are concerns of mine that I hope the eventual hiatus will help for Super, but as with anything I've hoped for in Super, I... well, I can't say I can get my hopes up. We've been in a bit of a rough patch since 126, so here's hoping these last two leave us off with a bang; there's only so much Goku vs. Jiren work they can reuse, right?

Also, shirtless Jiren in two weeks! Maybe he's been hiding his personality under his shirt this entire time! ...r-right? C-can you make Jiren appealing now, Toei? The response line was a decent start!
Last edited by MegaBossMan on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 pm

It was a pretty good episode I suppose. The first half wasn't great, the fight with Omen was disappointing and not even comparable to the fight from Episode 110.

Thankfully the ending did save it.

Unfortunately for me though, ever since they announced the series was going to end my interest in the whole show has really dropped considerably.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Great episode. Exciting, and exhilarating. The music was epic too. So don't want Super to end, fingers crossed it's coming back after Kitaro finishes. The reused scenes don't really offend me to be honest, I'm not going to let it spoil for me what was 20 minutes of great Television.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:06 pm

I enjoyed it, but the even I could spot the reused animation. I felt that the fight itself was fine, but I would be lying if I said that it lived up to my expectations. I was expecting more from one of the final 3 episodes.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 pm

I agree. This episode did not live up to it's hype. There was so much reused animation that I was so bored out of my mind. I was only beginning to gain interest again once Vegeta begun his speech about Saiyans breaking their limits throughout the tournament. I thought that was such great writing on their part, glad he wasn't boasting about his pride for the 100th time. The last 5 minutes as well was great.

I can get past the reused animation. I don't know if its just me, but the aura effects for UI, SSB, and Jiren are so god damn ugly. I can barely see the characters through those eye-sores which is frustrating to deal with when they fight and being unable to see their movements through those effects.
The character moments for me were really what kept the episode afloat, it's just a shame they had to be forced into a final battle that will only span possibly less than 2 whole episodes. I think the show could have afforded to rush it's pacing and have worked out better for it. I have no clue what the showrunners have in store for the finale if they feel so comfortable moving the plot along at a snail's pace.

As an amateur animator, I do understand the necessity of reusing animation, I'm guilty of it myself. My problem was mainly that one punch dodge scene between Jiren and Goku (that I believe is an episode exclusive). While beautifully animated and illustrated it just kept getting shoved into our face during Whis commentary. First it was the normal sequence, then zoomed in, and eventually, Goku had his eyes closed. I personally don't have a problem with their aura's but I could see them becoming a strain on the eyes after awhile. I actually love the UI Aura, in particular, it gave Goku a very ethereal /angelic vibe it almost lowkey had me on the Goku is an angel train for a second.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Upon rewatch my opinion on the episode has risen...but that first half really just drags down what should have been absolutely stellar. We get a par for the course first half, and a second half that really shines with Beerus, Vegeta, and of course Goku. Not really Jiren and that's no surprise. I hope he gets lolstomped honestly. I couldn't care less about him if I tried. I didn't think the complete state would have so much more to add, but it did. It kinda makes Goku like Hit....sorta in attack. Just less time skip and more flowing like a coursing river. Glad to also see the new state looks great. I already am close to if not preferring it to black hair.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!