Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Re: Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:I am worried about Jiren in the next episode. He looks quite frustrated and mad at Goku. I hope he won't turn into a sore loser, as is tradition amongst Dragon Ball's main antagonists.

In Zamasu's case, it is obvious why he turned into a screeching monster towards the end of the arc. He was not sane, he was a ticking bomb waiting to explode. But Jiren? He always gave me the impression of a character who maintains his calm and composure even in face of problems. But in the preview of the next episode, it looks like he will lose it and go insane in face of Goku's resistance; which would be out-of-character for Jiren to act in such a bratty and childish manner.
Good interesting post

I study psychology. When some one is use to always being in control and they are no longer in control or fear that they are losing control of a situation panic can set in.

You actually see it with fighters in a variety of ways

Fighters who are use to always getting the KO, mentally crumbling when they face the first opponent who doesnt go down

Fighters who are use to being the hammer, losing it once they become the nail.

It fits Jiren so well.

He's had such overwhelming strength, he's hardly had to react with being in a losing situation. His belief in his strength has been his greatest assest. Imagine for Jiren to realise that his strength wasn't enough. To be put in situations hes not accustomed to. Especially to someone like Goku who he believed wasn't ever supposed to stand a chance..

Very interesting. I love the direction Toriyama/Toei are going with it. All though episode 130 spoilers make it sound like MUI Goku will outclass Jiren and that when Jiren losses it, he unleashes his "dormant power"....
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote: I really do feel that when the next iteration of Super returns, the plan is for Toriyama/Toei to work their way up to the end of Z from after the tournament, and then completely write over GT with canon
And I feel the exact opposite. What you think is harmful for Toei's purse.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Can people stop with the triple posts? Either edit stuff in, write your full post to begin with, or sit back and take a Prozac. There's no need for one person to make up 75% of half the pages in this thread.
Just report and hope the mods do something, thats what I did. People asked him to stop before and he just continues. I think he's on a mission to make his opinion the majority opinion by reposting and reposting and copy/pasting opinions from youtube.
This just sounds like bullying and false reporting. How many times did I actually post 3 times in a row? My posts were responses to others and responses to others who quoted me. Not once did I just post 3 straight times without a quote. And none of the quotes I posted were from youtube btw. I was just trying to give people a wide range of differing opinions, instead of the usual negativity. In fact, you could be reported for making false reports
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 pm

The problem with the eps or how it should be improved is that the eps shouldve started after the commercial break. The first half was useless. If the eps started at the halfway point we wouldnt of missed any of the setup, the eps would've ultimately been the same but we would've been able to get 15 mins more of story (lol who am I kidding, 15 mins of fighting).

I also hated how Beerus told them to shut up and watch, they are his friends and knew him longer than Beerus, it shouldve been the other way around. Them just doubting them the whole time takes away from moments like the Final Cell showdown when they're all helping Gohan and state how much of an influence Gokus been and how they believed in him.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:46 pm

As much as it was an enjoyable episode... I'm pissed they left MUI for the next episode. Sigh, shoulda known how fucking Toei works.

And those overused animation shots, really? That shit exceeded DBZ ones

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:47 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:One of the most alpha scenes ever in Dragon Ball with a hilarious photoshop

Hahahaha

I really do feel that when the next iteration of Super returns, the plan is for Toriyama/Toei to work their way up to the end of Z from after the tournament, and then completely write over GT with canon
This even surpasses Goku's first SSJ1-transformation in badassery, which i thought wasn't feasible within the same franchise. Same feeling, but different concept altogether aside from Goku surpassing his limits completely.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:One of the most alpha scenes ever in Dragon Ball with a hilarious photoshop

Hahahaha

I really do feel that when the next iteration of Super returns, the plan is for Toriyama/Toei to work their way up to the end of Z from after the tournament, and then completely write over GT with canon
This even surpasses Goku's first SSJ1-transformation in badassery, which i thought wasn't feasible within the same franchise. Same feeling, but different concept altogether aside from Goku surpassing his limits completely.
100%

I don't know why, but I also got the same feeling of when Beerus was first shown in how untouchable they made Beerus look. They made mastered UI Goku feel even more impressive and badass then that. Really was incredible. And as for as transformations. Easily the best one ever in Dragon Ball IMO
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:02 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:I am worried about Jiren in the next episode. He looks quite frustrated and mad at Goku. I hope he won't turn into a sore loser, as is tradition amongst Dragon Ball's main antagonists.

In Zamasu's case, it is obvious why he turned into a screeching monster towards the end of the arc. He was not sane, he was a ticking bomb waiting to explode. But Jiren? He always gave me the impression of a character who maintains his calm and composure even in face of problems. But in the preview of the next episode, it looks like he will lose it and go insane in face of Goku's resistance; which would be out-of-character for Jiren to act in such a bratty and childish manner.
Good interesting post

I study psychology. When some one is use to always being in control and they are no longer in control or fear that they are losing control of a situation panic can set in.

You actually see it with fighters in a variety of ways

Fighters who are use to always getting the KO, mentally crumbling when they face the first opponent who doesnt go down

Fighters who are use to being the hammer, losing it once they become the nail.

It fits Jiren so well.

He's had such overwhelming strength, he's hardly had to react with being in a losing situation. His belief in his strength has been his greatest assest. Imagine for Jiren to realise that his strength wasn't enough. To be put in situations hes not accustomed to. Especially to someone like Goku who he believed wasn't ever supposed to stand a chance..

Very interesting. I love the direction Toriyama/Toei are going with it. All though episode 130 spoilers make it sound like MUI Goku will outclass Jiren and that when Jiren losses it, he unleashes his "dormant power"....

Jiren in 130, goodness me, looks like he has escaped from the demon realm. :evil:

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:11 pm

"Full power Jiren" has basically become a meme now lol.

But honestly, I imagine it's more so going to be like Frieza on Namek.

Frieza went to his final form. You thought that was his full power, but then there was a Frieza at 100%, but Goku was still superior.

Or at least I hope it's like that. I hope it's not just "Jiren reveals more of his full power and starts beating Goku up" That would be disappointing

But I trust in Toriyama/Toei. Toriyama/Toei have been hitting it out of the ballpark. I think it will be one of the most epic battles in DB. Can't wait. Still so pumped. Let's go Son Goku. Hype hype hype! People want to see Goku and his awesome new form just wreck Jiren. Let's see it put to use !

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:20 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:You know, I just realized that 18 was the only member of team Universe 7 who couldn't potentially break her limits by losing her shirt :lol:
That's a shame. It could have been perfect if it happened back in episode 118 against Super Ribrianne.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Onibaku wrote:As much as it was an enjoyable episode... I'm pissed they left MUI for the next episode. Sigh, shoulda known how fucking Toei works.

And those overused animation shots, really? That shit exceeded DBZ ones
:lol:

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:02 pm

The beginning of this episode: the hardest toei´s attempt to make us think there are only two warriors left, so to me it´s pretty clear that the outcome of this fight will be a draw and u7 wins by having more numbers.

It´s a pitty that this fight will be over the next episode, that full power shirtless Jiren looks awesome, i´ve never felt this feeling of DB´s greatness since namek arc.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:06 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Brettjr25 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Can people stop with the triple posts? Either edit stuff in, write your full post to begin with, or sit back and take a Prozac. There's no need for one person to make up 75% of half the pages in this thread.
Just report and hope the mods do something, thats what I did. People asked him to stop before and he just continues. I think he's on a mission to make his opinion the majority opinion by reposting and reposting and copy/pasting opinions from youtube.
This just sounds like bullying and false reporting. How many times did I actually post 3 times in a row? My posts were responses to others and responses to others who quoted me. Not once did I just post 3 straight times without a quote. And none of the quotes I posted were from youtube btw. I was just trying to give people a wide range of differing opinions, instead of the usual negativity. In fact, you could be reported for making false reports
A recent example is last page.
Posts 2, 3 & 4 are yours, all posted within 8 minutes of each other.
You are basically spamming the thread and I also told you to just edit the post instead of constantly doble posting or triple posting, as it's not that hard.
It isn't bullying to point out you are doing this and apparently refuse to heed the advice of fellow users(my post went completely ignored) and at some point the mods will intervene. You have already been warned before, so you should know shouldn't you?
In either case just edit your posts, it really is that simple.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:12 pm

lord turbo wrote:I was the one that mentioned that, I have my own circle of friends that confirm that mindset too.
May I have permission to join? :D I want to discuss the episodes more in-depth, but most of the replies here are just "it's awful" or "it's so good, I'm hyped for the next EP."
lord turbo wrote: The problems with DBS is episodes like this that are mostly mediocre, but a few stand out moments such as Beerus telling the peanut gallery to shut up, Vegeta roasti g Belmond (thr first half, the second half of it was typical "we saiyans are the master race" unneeded crap, Goku farting out a galaxy, the GoDs standing up for complete UI, and the last few minutes of photo-negative silhouette like complete UI Goku punking Jiren are great.

The rest of the episode like Whis stating the obvious that doesn't enhance what we see and is needless padding, the peanut gallery stating the obvious word for word (in fact this episode feels like they wanted the VAs to due something so the dialogue between 2, mayne 3 characters was literally spreaded out among the U7 cast, basically one person says a sentence and the next person finish what they said, rinse and repeat), Zeno needless padding moments, and bare minimum stock rerused animation from literally previous episodes, the glaring eyesore auras that hide low quality mistakes, worthless generic explosions left and right and you have a lot of cons that outweigh truly stand out epic moments.
God yes, the aura's are incredibly annoying to look at. And yes so many unneccesary explosions occuring when I barely recall Ki Blasts being shot at one another.

lord turbo wrote:
Firebolt wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote: If you loved this episode like the majority did, don't let the vocal minority bully you, dissuade you, or distort things for you. Many have been calling 129 one of the best episodes in Dragon Ball. I agree. It's been overwhelmingly more then well received. Dont worry: ). There's always going to be "haters" for everything I guess. Beat that with positivity: )
Hating is completely different from criticizing.

We are 3 episodes to the series' end, and we get this, an episode filled with lackluster action at the beginning, outrageous amounts of reused/redrawn animation throughout the middle, and an amazing, albeit short scene at the end.

What's more, this episode could be the penultimate battle of the entire series, and it's filled with an abundance of technical issues. Again, this close to the finale, an episode like this is unacceptable.

Even more so, this episode was hyped up by Toei to be the best episode and battle of Super so far, after a seemingly endless string of mediocre to outright bad episodes. Yet as most people have noticed, this is not the case.

Most people, especially here on Kanzenshuu are not mindlessly hating over insignificant details, we are dissapointed because these final episodes could've been so much more, because of just how poorly executed these final episodes were.

I don't mean to be rude, but just because some people did not personally enjoy an episode as much as you did, it does not mean they are "haters", and they are perfectly entitled to express their opinions on forums such as this very website.
You hit the nail on the head with this post my friend.
Agreed. ZenkaiBoosts seems to ignore almost everyone else who says they're dissatisfied with the Super Episodes. He/She thinks everyone needs to agree them and seems to be trying their best to convince us the WHOLE fandom is just ecstatic about this episode.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Absolutely wonderful episode.

Reused animation is always par for the course though, not sure why it's worth complaining about now.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Okara wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Okara wrote: We already knew that because they showed us in the preview. It’s in the episode title. These guys can’t keep the plot hidden to save their lives. They don’t need to dedicate the first half of the episode to telling us Goku is about to do what they outright told us will happen; most of it was just reused animation. The first ten minutes all could’ve taken place in a minute or two. The second half spent WAY too much time on the scene with Goku get pummeled and struggling to overcome it. This also could’ve been cut down (seriously, it’s almost like Toei was taking a shot at themselves by having Beerus tell Krillin to shut the fuck up. But I highly doubt they’re even aware of how bad it is).

I guarantee you 2/3 of the first half of next episode will be spent talking about how “awesome” mastered Ultra Instinct is and telling us stuff we can plainly see, as if the show is marketed towards blind people. That should’ve been in the second half of this episode.
Just because its been shown in the title and preview doesn't mean it doesn't need to be shown. Thats like saying you didn't need to see the defeat Freeza in the Namek arc because it said so in the preview and episode title. Its still stuff that needs to be visually communicated and demonstrated to the audience, and taking time with that sort of thing is important in order to really sell that idea to the audience. We didn't get instantly told that Freeza was losing steam and becoming more and more outmatched by Goku as the fight progressed, we were visually shown it.
The only real negative about your first point that I definitely agree with you with is that there was too much re-used animation, that really diminshed the scale of a fantastic storyboard and distracted from the fight instead of engaging us in it.
The scene of Goku getting pummelled was given that much time for a good reason, and that was visually show Goku mastering the offensive aspect of UI, and considering how that weakness of the form was played up, devoting a decent amount of time to Goku learning that aspect of the form was essential progression for the character. Its also a scene that allows the severity of the situation to sink in. Rushing over essential scenes like that would only harm the plot, and in my opinion it didn't overstay its welcome like the spirit bomb in 109 and 110 did.

Though I would prefer if they cut out that dialogue to focus on the scale of the fight as well as the fighters themselves, this is Dragonball, characters have always played up awesome other characters are when they reach a new plateau of strength. It comes with the genre.
Goku defeating Frieza was the resolution to the conflict; we obviously needed to see it.

This we did not. Goku mastering any aspect of Ultra Instinct has absolutely no meaning. This is just another Super Saiyan form. The writers put no time and effort into showing us Goku and Vegeta’s struggle to reach this level, so there’s no meaning behind Goku “finally” mastering it. I was laughing my ass off as Beerus was saying Goku “finally” did it as if he didn’t just start doing this 20 minutes ago (honestly, the “finally” from Beerus is dumb either way. Vegeta should’ve said it, and it would’ve had meaning if we’d seen their struggle). And no, Whis had not been training them for this off-screen; Vegeta’s flashback to Resurrection F ironically proved it. Even if they had, that’s not enough to make it feel like Goku’s achieving something he’s struggled for. The audience should’ve seen that.

Basically, we don’t need to watch the process of Goku slowly pulling this out of his ass. They’re just wasting time. That all could’ve been cut down into a few minutes. ESPECIALLY since this all happened in 30 seconds of real time or less anyway, so there’s no point in dragging it out. The whole arc is a mess and the concept of Ultra Instinct was wasted.
Just because you keep on saying this is another Super Saiyan form doesn't make it true, I like how you say that we didn't need to see Goku master any aspect of UI while at the same time saying the writers didn't show any of the struggle of Goku earning. This has pretty much been the entire freaking point of the tournament and this episode. This tournament is over 30 episodes long, for at least 19 of those episodes, Goku and Vegeta have been pushing themselves to earn UI, we didn't need to see any training with Whis specifically for this form, because this arc served as Goku's journey to earn and master UI. I don't understand how you cans say otherwise.

Narratively, espicially in relation to Goku, everything that happens in order to achieve UI is of the most utter importantance, and thats why we had so much of Goku trying to achieve UI in this arc and episode. Its because this arc is about Goku earning that form in the course of this tournament.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Episode 130, Right before the midway break : Goku is fires a kamehameha at a seemingly defeated Jiren which should end it, however the smoke clears and jiren is shrouded in a brand new aura. Marcarita explains " IN order to survive, jiren broke through his shell" Jiren proceeds to eliminate. Your reaction?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:37 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I really do feel that when the next iteration of Super returns, the plan is for Toriyama/Toei to work their way up to the end of Z from after the tournament, and then completely write over GT with canon
Forget about it, Toriyama has no intentions on writing a new story after EoZ, he expressed that in one interview, that's why BoG, RoF and Super are not in this time frame.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Loved the episode. Honestly though, I think I'd love anything with that awesome music that plays for Ultra Instinct Goku.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Episode 130, Right before the midway break : Goku is fires a kamehameha at a seemingly defeated Jiren which should end it, however the smoke clears and jiren is shrouded in a brand new aura. Marcarita explains " IN order to survive, jiren broke through his shell" Jiren proceeds to eliminate. Your reaction?
I wouldn't be surprised. After Trunks utterly defeated Fused Zamasu with the power of friendship and love, there is nothing that may surprise me anymore.

But you bring up an interesting point. Goku broke through his shell several times in Super. During his fight against Hit, during his fight against Fused Zamasu, thrice in the Tournament of Power (against Jiren and Kefla), so why can't Jiren do the same thing? Jiren is cornered and outnumbered, so he should be able to break through his shell like Goku did in the past.