Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Re: Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Asura wrote:So haven't heard anyone bring it up yet buuuuuut, what's the deal with Jiren's aura being exactly like Goku's Ultra Instinct aura but red? I'm almost 99% sure they gave it to him because it looked cool and contrasted with Goku, and not for any actual reasons to do with Ultra Instinct.
I think they gave Jiren that aura for the same reason Trunks' SS Rage aura is exactly like SS Blue and SS Rose - no reason, it just looks cool in contrast :lol: :lol: :lol:

Notice how Jiren has had four different auras in the time he's been here?
All I can say to why he has different auras is: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:But, people don't seem to understand that just because he lived, it doesn't mean his sacrifice was worthless.
Yes it was. The emotional investment was gone and I can't believe in what I gonna say: I never though I would dislike any other character like I did with Trunks in the previous arc because of his asspulls, but I gave a pass since the arc has his name... But is ToP called Android #17 arc? No. If he stayed death it would be heroic and iconic.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Nero<>Akira wrote:But, people don't seem to understand that just because he lived, it doesn't mean his sacrifice was worthless.
Yes it was. The emotional investment was gone and I can't believe in what I gonna say: I never though I would dislike any other character like I did with Trunks in the previous arc because of his asspulls, but I gave a pass since the arc has his name... But is ToP called Android #17 arc? No. If he stayed death it would be heroic and iconic.
17 is being the smartest on the top, truethat death reinforce some icons but , that statement doesn’t convince me
17 is a living legend
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 pm

I swear, if I see another generic shonen trope in this generic shonen anime based on a generic shonen series, I will quit illegally watching Dragon Ball Super after next week's last episode.

I promise.

No, really, this time, I DO mean it.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I swear, if I see another generic shonen trope in this generic shonen anime based on a generic shonen series, I will quit illegally watching Dragon Ball Super after next week's last episode.

I promise.

I see what you did there.

But, its weird, really. Considering Dragon Ball started/made famous a lot of these tropes. And then people come in and try to reference series that were inspired by Dragon Ball.
Ninja Goku- Naruto
Pirate Goku- One Piece/Luffy
Magic Goku- Fairy Tail/Natsu

etc.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:51 pm

prince212 wrote:17 is being the smartest on the top, truethat death reinforce some icons but , that statement doesn’t convince me. 17 is a living legend
I'm not intending to convince you. In my point of view he was a decent character in this arc, but with forced screentime. You disagreeing wouldn't change my mind about that.
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:And Saint Seiya is the anime Rival of Dragon Ball since 1986. :D
You can't be serious. Even though I enjoy a lot Saint Seiya it doesn't come close to rivaling DB.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
prince212 wrote:17 is being the smartest on the top, truethat death reinforce some icons but , that statement doesn’t convince me. 17 is a living legend
I'm not intending to convince you. In my point of view he was a decent character in this arc, but with forced screentime. You disagreeing wouldn't change my mind about that.
Be happy I’m sure neither you were trying to convince me and I wasn’t trying to change your mind
Just talking , just different opinions , just thoughts , peace
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:05 pm

I just realized but didn't 17 blow himself up in 127? Cause Vegeta did something similar in 126 and his shirt was off and yet when 17 returned this episode his shirt wasn't off. Like damn I can tolerate the amount of inconsistencies in the writing to a certain extent but this I just can't man. Honestly I dislike this episode a lot now and it's easily the worst episode in all of Super. If they don't give 17 his boat in 131 then screw this garbage show and I think I might just drop it!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Comments on this episode:

- So wait, everyone can still see them fighting? Does that make them both slower than Dyspo?
- That was a neat effect there
- The animation is also very good here
- I've wondered this before, but why not try to counter Ultra Instinct with a huge blast that hits everywhere? No room to dodge. Or would that be too weak due to being spread out so much? I mean it was effective for Piccolo and Vegeta though.
- If you lose Jiren, it will be entirely your fault. You had so many opportunities to win before this.
- I do like how they had Jiren gain a power boost that he didn't have access to before as opposed to just holding more power in reserve
- Is it just me, or does that red aura make his skin look pink which sort of makes him look like Majin Buu? I mean if you showed us a picture of this 2 years ago and said it was a powered up form of Buu I bet most of us would have believed it
- If Jiren is getting annoyed now and no longer wants a further challenge, then he should just knock him out while he's down instead of waiting for him to get back up
- Did Goku just spoil that 17 is still alive?
- His speed has increased even more, yet they can still see him... inconsistencies abound
- Not only that, but apparently Roshi is watching them approach each other in slow motion while giving a speech. It's confirmed then, Roshi's speed is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jiren and MUI Goku. LOL.
- The nakama powerup is kind of lame, cliche, and an asspull if you ask me
- Are those some kind of ki shockwaves like the ones Hit used or are they supposed to be punches?
- Jiren's backstory is really not fleshed out well. A group of his friends got killed so he can never accept having friends again... except he's a member of a group of superheroes who are all his allies and he fights together with them. Sure, that makes perfect sense.
- Oh come on, attacking the audience has to be against the rules. The Zenos should have erased him for that.
- I also like how the attack is slow enough for everyone to see it coming
- Now this part is pretty cool
- Okay, now this has to be the most powerful Kamehameha ever seen in the franchise
- The same reason you didn't finish him all the times you had the chance - to drag out the fight
- Showing a sense of fair play now is a bit too little, too late, and inconsistent with his earlier actions attacking the audience...
- 17 surviving was a well-kept secret, I don't recall any of the spoilers mentioning it before the episode came out
- So is Jiren weakened enough for 17 and Freeza to beat him or is Goku going to miraculously recover and beat him? Because the latter would just be too much IMO

Good episode despite its several problems, although many of them were problems with the arc in general
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:33 pm

lord turbo wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:Goku suddenly gaining the power of friendship and family after being so initially selfish all the time, really doesn't do much for me in the "feels" department. :problem:
By that account why didn't that trope work for Ribrianne or Heck... Vegeta if that were the case?
The message here is that those characters simply didn't care or try hard enough giving the unfortunate implications the only right way is F&F Goku's "I got family..." way.
For Vegeta it did work for him against Toppo to uses I Got Family Power and it lead him to Punching threw Toppo's God Power cause of that, so for a time it did work for him it seemed. I did not like it was written like that, seemed lazy just to say if you have more power you can punch threw Haiki Energy, but Toei has to answer that one.

But when it comes to Ribrianne it is only Cause of undercuting of writing and mythos that Toei Created themselves.

To Explain further what I mean ~~~~~ In Magical Girl Shows the showing of Combining of Love, Teamates and even citizen's Support from all around you, in this case it seemed ALL of U2 was behind U2's final 3 Warriors, is always the Greatest of Powers the Warriors in Magical Girl Shows can show and honestly an honorable showing that one can't win alone in all battles that I like being Honored allot in their Mythos. Heck, this is a Formula that Toei has Perfected Themselves in it own Magical Girl Shows with Precure and Sailor Moon Cool and Epic Effects! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXtceaZyMU

But Toei did not seem to Honor its own Formula when it came to the Fight with Goku and just his plane Solo-Raw-Power?!

While Goku honor's U2 ideals the Power of Love saying he was impressed by it in 118, he Honors at that Moment his ideal at that time which is Guts for some reason, which seems odd for him it was always training harder and focusing his skills that got him threw most things and believing in those he cared about.

But, this leads into this battle he does not even needed any of that, not even his Friends and Family to power him up, just his Raw Power at Blue Level to beat a WHOLE Universe's Hopes in their Warrior's and Their Genki-Dama like attack.

It honestly raises the Debate that Goku can be seen at times becoming Way OP and even Broken in power if he is able to do this now and not even lose Stamina or get tired for to long over this. But also the writing with how these levels in the ToP has been SO MESS and Mis-Manged that I add it up to Toei just did not caring to explain his level of power their.

I have nothing against Goku and Wish the Best for his Fans, but I Rather better writing follow him being able to Defeat a WHOLE Universe then just Raw Power or the Fact that it might seem cause he is Goku that he is able to do it while other characters, even Vegeta's defeat of Toppo was this, was a Struggle for others.

It is Important to Honor Goku, but Others Like me, in this cause Ribrianne, U2 and Magical Girl Mythos, would like to Keep the Honor and Ideals of what makes the Characters and concepts we like and support to be Honored as well.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Nguyenkim

Post by Nguyenkim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Nice episode for me, except they forget Daishinkan and the two Zenos. Lol i miss the the thing "Ooh, Goku is super super super amazing!!" or "Jiren is super super super.................. amazing!!"

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I swear, if I see another generic shonen trope in this generic shonen anime based on a generic shonen series, I will quit illegally watching Dragon Ball Super after next week's last episode.

I promise.

When did Dragon Ball start using friendship speeches? I'm asking because it first started on Super as far as I know. It's stupid to assume DB was like this from the start. That stupid "I'm all tired, but I can stand up infinitely" didn't happen too. Remember Goku vs Piccolo or Goku vs Oozaru Vegeta? Super is just like the likes of Fairy Tail and Saint Seiya. This isn't Dragon Ball anymore.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:You look at the script of any other major DB conflict, and you absolutely cannot mistake it for any other show. It has its own identity. It's original. It's a conflict that builds on what's inherent to the Dragon World itself. It stands on its own two feet without relying on tropes popularized by lesser series.
Master Xar wrote:...So? What’s the problem in Goku announcing it? They weren’t even being melodramatic about it, it’s two conflicting ideals being brought out in the open, melodramatic would be Goku giving a whole minute speech, Jiren breaking down to crying like a baby or talking about killing everyone then himself or some crap, but instead he is reasonably upset that he is losing again due to being too weak to win over somebody who has all the power he has, has the happiness that he doesn’t, and has people cheering him on because they actually like him for being him unlike Jiren who is cheered on for his power, not himself. He is a traumatized man and shows signs of PTSD. You don’t call a vietnam veteran having flashbacks and having a breakdown being “melodramatic”

Goku never gave a “cheesy speech” he said one line, that he is not a hero and he will not forgive those that bring harm to his friends, he also announced earlier that he would show Jiren than having allies and trust is a good thing. The power-ups were negligible and adrenaline fueled at best as well

Cheesy/cliché =/= objectively bad. There’s a said reality that years down the line that everything in media will be “cheesy/cliché” yet still well done.
l think Doctor is stating [Correct me when I'm wrong Doctor], for Dragonball standards, the friendship theme was focused on too much.
Usually in Dragonball things like that are just mentioned in passing. Not being the sole purpose or the main "moral" of the story.
For example, check out Majin Vegeta's motives. I thought Toriyama did a good job at giving Vegeta an internal struggle between Vengeance on Goku or fighting for his family.

Here, we have Super taking the time having characters explaining Goku's friend card as his reason for his strength. Vegeta's hopes being Goku's power up for victory instead of some logical plot point where Goku is already that strong without having to resort to friendship giving Goku power. I agree also with you Master Xar that the exposition on the trope wasn't melodramatic or extensive compared to most Shounen. But for Dragonball Z it was. I think that is Doctor's point.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Miracles wrote:I think Doctor is stating [Correct me when I'm wrong Doctor], for Dragonball standards, the friendship theme was focused on too much.
Usually in Dragonball things like that are just mentioned in passing. Not being the sole purpose or the main "moral" of the story.
For example, check out Majin Vegeta's internal struggle. I thought Toriyama did a good job at giving Vegeta an internal struggle between Vengeance on Goku or fighting for his family.
Pretty much. It felt entirely un-Dragon Ball.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Acetona wrote: When did Dragon Ball start using friendship speeches? I'm asking because it first started on Super as far as I know. It's stupid to assume DB was like this from the start. That stupid "I'm all tired, but I can stand up infinitely" didn't happen too. Remember Goku vs Piccolo or Goku vs Oozaru Vegeta? Super is just like the likes of Fairy Tail and Saint Seiya. This isn't Dragon Ball anymore.
DBZ had a lot of this. Also there were some BS moments like Father-son kamehameha, #16 speech triggering Gohan (it made no sense as Gohan never developed a bond with #16), and you can count also Goku becoming SSJ by seeing Krilin being killed by Freeza (why exactly THIS triggered Goku, and not other deaths or tortures he saw?). These moments are nothing new in Dragon Ball.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Kanious wrote:
Acetona wrote: When did Dragon Ball start using friendship speeches? I'm asking because it first started on Super as far as I know. It's stupid to assume DB was like this from the start. That stupid "I'm all tired, but I can stand up infinitely" didn't happen too. Remember Goku vs Piccolo or Goku vs Oozaru Vegeta? Super is just like the likes of Fairy Tail and Saint Seiya. This isn't Dragon Ball anymore.
DBZ had a lot of this. Also there were some BS moments like Father-son kamehameha, #16 speech triggering Gohan (it made no sense as Gohan never developed a bond with #16), and you can count also Goku becoming SSJ by seeing Krilin being killed by Freeza (why exactly THIS triggered Goku, and not other deaths or tortures he saw?). These moments are nothing new in Dragon Ball.
Because, umm, Kuririn is Goku's best friend. He has literally been with the guy since the beginning.

I think some of you are missing the point here.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:48 pm

Kanious wrote:
The Father-Son Kamehameha was metaphoric and Goku never actually contributed his strength to the beam. #16's speech didn't trigger Gohan, it was his death in conjunction with the circumstances Gohan was in. Super Saiyan had been foreshadowed the entire arc; Vegeta specifically points out that you need to have surpassed the limits of a normal Saiyan to become a Super Saiyan (he says this when Goku beats Recoome). Goku only surpassed normal Saiyan limitations by the time he arrived on Namek and Kuririn's death was his first trauma since.

Entirely different situations to what happened here.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Miracles wrote:
Doctor. wrote:You look at the script of any other major DB conflict, and you absolutely cannot mistake it for any other show. It has its own identity. It's original. It's a conflict that builds on what's inherent to the Dragon World itself. It stands on its own two feet without relying on tropes popularized by lesser series.
Master Xar wrote:...So? What’s the problem in Goku announcing it? They weren’t even being melodramatic about it, it’s two conflicting ideals being brought out in the open, melodramatic would be Goku giving a whole minute speech, Jiren breaking down to crying like a baby or talking about killing everyone then himself or some crap, but instead he is reasonably upset that he is losing again due to being too weak to win over somebody who has all the power he has, has the happiness that he doesn’t, and has people cheering him on because they actually like him for being him unlike Jiren who is cheered on for his power, not himself. He is a traumatized man and shows signs of PTSD. You don’t call a vietnam veteran having flashbacks and having a breakdown being “melodramatic”

Goku never gave a “cheesy speech” he said one line, that he is not a hero and he will not forgive those that bring harm to his friends, he also announced earlier that he would show Jiren than having allies and trust is a good thing. The power-ups were negligible and adrenaline fueled at best as well

Cheesy/cliché =/= objectively bad. There’s a said reality that years down the line that everything in media will be “cheesy/cliché” yet still well done.
l think Doctor is stating [Correct me when I'm wrong Doctor], for Dragonball standards, the friendship theme was focused on too much.
For example, check out Majin Vegeta's motives. I thought Toriyama did a good job at giving Vegeta an internal struggle between Vengeance on Goku or fighting for his family.

Here, we have Super taking the time having characters explaining Goku's friend card as his reason for his strength. Vegeta's hopes being Goku's power up for victory instead of some logical plot point where Goku is already that strong without having to resort to friendship giving Goku power. I agree also with you Master Xar that the exposition on the trope wasn't melodramatic or extensive compared to most Shounen. But for Dragonball Z it was. I think that is Doctor's point.
Hmm... fair enough I guess, more for the dialogue sake than anything, but there have definitely been times in the franchise where the will to protect those that you love will drive you further, heck Goku saved the Earth from destruction by visioning his Friends and Family desperately cheering him on, I could say that it was SLIGHTLY more melodramatic than the Dragonball norm.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Because, umm, Kuririn is Goku's best friend. He has literally been with the guy since the beginning.

I think some of you are missing the point here.
i'm not missing the point. I was just saying that "friendship moments" isn't something exclusive to Dragon Ball Super. Goku got triggered on episode 130 because Krilin, Gohan and the others were targeted. Usually i don't like these shonen clichés, but they were always present in Dragon Ball, that was what i meant to say to the other guy that said that only Super had this "bs"

Doctor. wrote: DBZ had a lot of this. Also there were some BS moments like Father-son kamehameha, #16 speech triggering Gohan (it made no sense as Gohan never developed a bond with #16), and you can count also Goku becoming SSJ by seeing Krilin being killed by Freeza (why exactly THIS triggered Goku, and not other deaths or tortures he saw?). These moments are nothing new in Dragon Ball.
The Father-Son Kamehameha was metaphoric and Goku never actually contributed his strength to the beam. #16's speech didn't trigger Gohan, it was his death in conjunction with the circumstances Gohan was in. Super Saiyan had been foreshadowed the entire arc; Vegeta specifically points out that you need to have surpassed the limits of a normal Saiyan to become a Super Saiyan (he says this when Goku beats Recoome). Goku only surpassed normal Saiyan limitations by the time he arrived on Namek and Kuririn's death was his first trauma since.

Entirely different situations to what happened here.[/quote]

Different situations but... it's "shonen bs". All of it, be it in Super, or in Z. There are many more examples... you can dislike Super for it's "shonen clichés" but saying that Z doesn't have these is bs...

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Kanious wrote:Different situations but... it's "shonen bs". All of it, be it in Super, or in Z. There are many more examples... you can dislike Super for it's "shonen clichés" but saying that Z doesn't have these is bs...
If you want to claim that simply being an emotional or inspirational scene is "Shounen bs" then so be it, but my argument is that there's a difference in subtlety and nuance between the execution of the scenes in the two series, not that the two series are genres apart.