Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:36 am

Artorias wrote:The bad things out of the way first:

1) Obviously, the end wish is totally predictable. That's not really a negative by itself, but combined with the fact that the wish renders this entire arc completely inconsequential is certainly something worth bringing up.

2) The episode definitely feels rushed and probably should've been split into 2.

Other than that...this was INCREDIBLE in my opinion. The fighting in last week was a bit better, but I think I enjoyed this one just as much. The direction and animation in particular was just astounding, as was the writing. Man, the WRITING. Just great stuff all around. Whoever wrote this episode should be responsible for every key episode of Dragon Ball. The dialogue was just SO on point throughout.

And obviously, the team effort from Goku and Freeza was a fantastic moment that strayed the line of making Freeza and ally without him turning good PERFECTLY.

And this episode, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, made me kind of like Jiren. In the end, he still isn't a very good character overall, but man, this episode came close to making me actually care a LITTLE bit about him. Almost. And any episode that can make me feel anything for a character that is as terrible as Jiren deserves massive praise. Why the hell did we have to wait till the very end to see this side of him? Such a shame.

Lastly, that ending bit with Goku and Vegeta doing their classic poses, while shameless fanservice, was in my opinion the right kind of shameless fanservice. It just makes sense to end the show on that frame.
The script writer for this episode, whose been pretty much the unofficial head scripter writer for this arc, was Atsuhiro Tomioka. His pretty much delivered on all the major action episodes of this arc with the exception of a few.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:50 am

damkylan wrote:Astonishingly bad ending to an already deplorable arc. I'm gonna go watch some GT to get this bad taste out of my mouth. The English version with the rap.

...Okay, not really.
I don't buy for a second that anyone actually believes this when they say it. For you to find this "astonishingly bad", you're either being hyperbolic for the sake of attention, or your standards are just completely out of whack. I'm not saying you have to like the episode, not by any means, but for you to find an episode this well put together and presented "astoundingly bad" strikes me as totally insincere.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:00 am

Yeah, though the end was predicted since day one and I actually expected them to do something else instead, the execution was really good and the direction was the best. It obviously doesn't feel like an ending since we know that there's more coming up, but Super really ended on a high note here.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 am

Beautiful ending of the series , this last two chapters were great in art and content . Happy about mvp 17 .
Good decision to make him the last guy standing , his performance was cool since the very beginning, he wasn’t the most powerful , but survival is not only about power .
Toppo did his best appearance in just 3 seconds
Happy ending , of course , but very well done , and open for the future .
I don’t want freeza in a long time , never Saiyan friendly , please move him to universe 13 .
T.o.p first 25 chapters had up and downs , lack of battle Royale feeling , time unreal feeling etc etc ..
But men this last chapters buried all of that and really made a sense for this tournament and his environment
:clap:
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Android350

Post by Android350 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 am

omg best ending ever!!! Krillin, goku and piccolo saving 18, after which she saves 17 who turns out to be the last one standing!
They should've given him 3 wishes though.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:18 am

The real key point was that the ending wish HAD to be the wish, or else it was goodbye forever. The irony is that we all thought Zeno was cruel, and yet he had the ultimate faith in mortals. He is definitive proof that everything Zamasu believed in was garbage, however compelling his argument might have been. It was very smart.
Last edited by avasatu on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:22 am

Anyone notice how a chunk of Frieza's tail went missing at the end?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:23 am

Amazing episode. The Goku Frieza team-up delivered, and we got a mega-super-happy ending. #17 winning surely made his fanboys squeak with joy.

Frieza pulled a DB Piccolo in the end of classic DB, further cementing his new status as an anti-villain or not-giving-too-many-fucks-hero. We'll see. His last scene is without music, assuring us that he is not a good guy and still has plans for this world. Well you better train, my boy, because you're currently outclassed. He needs a 5th-Cooler-esque form, like yesterday. With diamond plating, to boot.

An awesome ending. And definitely not the end. The show assured us, and I believe them.

Till we meet again, everyone!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:28 am

Bullza wrote:Anyone notice how a chunk of Frieza's tail went missing at the end?
Yep, did anyone notice when it went missing?

Because I did.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:33 am

JazzMazz wrote:Yep, did anyone notice when it went missing?

Because I did.
Looking at the episode on YouTube, it happened immediately after Frieza's​ failed pile drive on Jiren...for some reason.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:35 am

Bullza wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Yep, did anyone notice when it went missing?

Because I did.
Looking at the episode on YouTube, it happened immediately after Frieza's​ failed pile drive on Jiren...for some reason.
Yep, it just comes off like some kind of lizards tail.

Its a small detail, but it only serves to make that scene all the more brutal because of it.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:39 am

Whis is so broken.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:39 am

You know, if you replace Frieza with Uub, that finale would have been so incredibly fitting. They kind of dropped the ball by not making this the first EoZ arc, imo.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:45 am

Fantastic episode! They went all out and everything looked spectacular.

The arc itself is not among my favorite, far from it I'm afraid, but it's the best Super has had IMO. The highlights are some of the best DB ever had.

Freeza returning to life to be the Galatic emperor again. I'm happy, yet frustrated at the same time.

By far the greatest annoyance is how they actually wrote 18 genuienly asking 17 if he is alright with choosing to save the universes instead of having his cruise ship . What's with her characterization in this arc, it's been all over the place and mostly not good.

Well, guess that's that.

Hope we see a new series soon (and maybe give other characters the love they gave 17, I mean, seriously, woah,,talk about a comeback.)

Was hoping we'd get something about the movie, but it's fine either way.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:48 am

When Dragon Ball Super first began we all asked ourselves two questions...1) Why are they redoing the movies? 2) Why is the story presented in BoG now taking place on a boat for seemingly no reason? Even after watched the initial arcs to completion the purpose didn't seem clear. But our questions have been answered with this masterful finale. The boat that 17 is given for his selfless wish is the very same boat that has been with us from the start. Bravo Toriyama. Bravo Toei. Bravo Toyotaro.

Also important to note that fan favorite Yurin appears in the finale. It is safe to predict we'll be seeing a lot more of her as her relationship with Tenshinhan grows in stories to come.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:56 am

Makaioshin wrote:When Dragon Ball Super first began we all asked ourselves two questions...1) Why are they redoing the movies? 2) Why is the story presented in BoG now taking place on a boat for seemingly no reason? Even after watched the initial arcs to completion the purpose didn't seem clear. But our questions have been answered with this masterful finale. The boat that 17 is given for his selfless wish is the very same boat that has been with us from the start. Bravo Toriyama. Bravo Toei. Bravo Toyotaro.
That’s a good point :thumbup:
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

lord turbo
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:56 am

Michsi wrote:By far the greatest annoyance is how they actually wrote 18 genuienly asking 17 if he is alright with choosing to save the universes instead of having his cruise ship . What's with her characterization in this arc, it's been all over the place and mostly not good.
To be fair, 18 was always a shallow character so her line here wasn't out of place despite being bizarre since she's been characterised as a materialistic person in general.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:03 am

BEST EPISODE IN SUPER!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:10 am

Fantastic episode. And I liked the part at the end where the narrator's saying this is a brief parting. I don't think Dragon Ball Super's over.
Last edited by sangofe on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:10 am

Michsi wrote:By far the greatest annoyance is how they actually wrote 18 genuienly asking 17 if he is alright with choosing to save the universes instead of having his cruise ship . What's with her characterization in this arc, it's been all over the place and mostly not good.
She's honestly written like a complete sociopath asshole. Won't participate in the tournament that decides the fate of her universe unless she gets paid, basically calls her husband pathetic after he gets knocked out (even though he saved her ass), and now she prioritizes a cruise ship over restoring billions of lives. Very strange.