Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:40 am

TobyS wrote:
precita wrote:Is it just me or was Yamcha not shown in the ending?
In the ending montage he was wiggling a toy bear at Bulla while everyone stood around smiling and chatting/Vegeta stood off to the side like a grumpy douche. Iirc
I still don't understand how he can hang around his ex and his ex's daughter without feeling super awkward.
Get Fucked, C_unt

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:09 am

Great episode!

Highlight for me, though, was Goku & Freeza fighting together. Not only was it superb, but it was deeply ironic too! Let it sink in for a moment; Goku & Freeza fighting in perfect synch - something that Goku didn't seem to be able to do with Vegeta.
Last edited by SonReggie on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:10 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:So if ALL and I say ALL Universes are restored back I will see if my theory of Triplet Universe works, and if my theory is correct there should be Saiyan on Universe 18.
YES! I've been saying this. I think your theory might be right. Combine that with the fact that 17 brought back Universes 13 to 18 and i think the movie will tie into this.
I think that's wishful thinking for now.. But it can turn out to be true(I also hope it is)!
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:17 am

Very satisfying conclusion. The wish was expected, however, Zeno's reaction was NOT. Happy that all the "grand priest is evil" theories will be burished by now. Highlight of the episode was goku and frieza battling jiren for sure; those raditz vibes all over again. Until the new series airs.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:20 am

Have to say, Goku and Freeza's co-op fight had me genuinely excited - particularly since neither were in their most powerful forms - and I loved that Goku was flicking in and out of his SS form! Truly edge of the seat stuff! I don't usually get THAT into it!

I really enjoyed that it was 17 who got the wish - his character development has been absolutely superb!

Ideally would have stretched to two episodes, but sadly there was no time for that. Still, ended on a high in my opinion.

sunkensheep

Post by sunkensheep » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:22 am

10/10. It's awesome that in the end Jiren was taken down by Goku going on and off his SSJ form along with Freeza. The final wish may be predictable, but it couldn't end any other way.

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:26 am

Asura wrote:
Michsi wrote:By far the greatest annoyance is how they actually wrote 18 genuienly asking 17 if he is alright with choosing to save the universes instead of having his cruise ship . What's with her characterization in this arc, it's been all over the place and mostly not good.
She's honestly written like a complete sociopath asshole. Won't participate in the tournament that decides the fate of her universe unless she gets paid, basically calls her husband pathetic after he gets knocked out (even though he saved her ass), and now she prioritizes a cruise ship over restoring billions of lives. Very strange.
Isn't that kind of 18's thing though? Outside Marron who or what isn't she a dick to or a dick towards. And why should she care? She doesn't know them. Hell up until the U6 tournament she didn't even know there were other universe's. It's a "tree falls in the woods" scenario, man. I mean, do you seriously care for every single person and their plight in the world? Does it keep you up at night that right now as i type this and as you read it(if you do) someone is either dying, just died or is begging for death. Whether it be by the hands of another, their own, or just by natural causes.

I mean i get it, empathy and what not, but 18 doesn't even show that kind of emotion for people on earth or in her own universe; why in the blue hell should she care about universe's she doesn't live in or people she doesn't know? Especially in a series where shit like this is just another Tuesday.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 am

I thought it was interesting that 17 wished for all Universes that had been erased to be restored... Could that also bring back the 6 universes that were originally erased by Zeno before the ToP?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:43 am

Sin wrote:I thought it was interesting that 17 wished for all Universes that had been erased to be restored... Could that also bring back the 6 universes that were originally erased by Zeno before the ToP?
Yeah, that was something a lot of people speculated months ago. The fact the wish was so worded in this generic way makes me thing that 17 indeed also brought back the other 6 universes, as they were erased too.
We may also finally get the reason why Zeno decided to erase those 6 universes, and the next enemy may probably be from those universes and possibly be the person who angered Zeno.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 am

Android 21 wrote:Well, the episode was bad, no surprise there. But the last scene with Goku and Vegeta was awesome.

Did...did Vegeta just end Super more powerful than Goku? He looked to be as strong as SSJBKK x20 Goku, but he got even more powerful when he fought Toppo. Since Goku can’t use Ultra Instinct anymore, that would make Vegeta stronger.
What I'm most interested in is whether or not Vegeta can use that form at will or if it's a one time thing we won't see again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:52 am

Like many have said, it's a great ending to the series, very satisfying and heartwarming, and with plenty of promise for the future. My own observations:
- The predictability of having all the universes restored was nicely counterbalanced by the fact that Zen-oh actually wanted it to happen, and should it not, he'd have "erased everything". Makes you feel like the stakes were there all along, since if the wrong person ended up the last one remaining, everyone'd have been fucked up the ass forever
- 17 indeed ended up being the MVP, or at least portrayed as one until the end. Whether he was one is arguable IMO - Goku did defeat Kefla and softened up Jiren enough for the others to take care of him, which were arguably the two most important things to do in the tournament. Still, lovin #17, he was given way more importance than any of us could have expected.
- Goku wasn't the one remaining for the wish - really cool. He's the main char, but it doesn't mean he's the one who has to always have all the agency.
- They did manage to contain everything required of this episode in its regular runtime, which I was afraid they'd have a hard time doing. They succeeded, and it didn't even feel too rushed. Kudos.

Looking forward to the continuation of the series. Many people said they liked the ending of GT because of how emotional it was. But it also did have that illogical element of Goku having to leave in a weird and borderline unsupportable in-universe way. Here there are no such contrivances, just an uplifting and fun ending to a satisfying series. I would also give Super at least 7/10 overall. Please keep 'em coming, Toriyama sensei :D
sintzu wrote:
Android 21 wrote:Well, the episode was bad, no surprise there. But the last scene with Goku and Vegeta was awesome.

Did...did Vegeta just end Super more powerful than Goku? He looked to be as strong as SSJBKK x20 Goku, but he got even more powerful when he fought Toppo. Since Goku can’t use Ultra Instinct anymore, that would make Vegeta stronger.
What I'm most interested in is whether or not Vegeta can use that form at will or if it's a one time thing we won't see again.
Well, we did see him re-assuming the form at will from base one time during the tournament, I guess based on that we can assume he can do it. I think the intended state of affairs right now is that SSjBE Vegeta = SSjBKKx20 Goku, making them equals for the time being.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:55 am

Freeza getting wished back was all I wanted. Glad it happened. Pretty cool team up fight too. More teases for the movie, pretty exciting all around.

Did anyone else find it weird when everyone started wearing clothes again at the end? Lol.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:03 am

This arc was both expected and some of it unexpected.

The expected:
The fairytale no lasting consequences ending.
The Vegeta gets pummelled and defeated episode (because Vegeta will always end behind Goku in a fight)
Freeza playing the anti hero and having a big role in the end.
The humans played no role of significance (aside from Roshi)

The unexpected:
17 winning the TOP was definitely unexpected and a welcome twist.
The fact that the whole TOP was actually a test of worthiness for mortals.
Vegeta being outlasted by 17 which probably start causing a fit with the Vegeta fans out there, but 17 fans will probably be very happy with this arc. 8)
I had high expectations of both Gohan and Piccolo but they didn't deliver for me.

This last episode was okay, a 7 out of 10. But unfortunately the whole arc only gets a 5 out of 10 from me.
An arc should start strong and stay strong throughout it's course, not start weak becoming mediocre and end decent.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:11 am

[quote="SsjCookie"]This arc was both expected and some of it unexpected.

[u]The expected:[/u]
The fairytale no lasting consequences ending.
The Vegeta gets pummelled and defeated episode (because Vegeta will always end behind Goku in a fight)
Freeza playing the anti hero and having a big role in the end.
The humans played no role of significance (aside from Roshi)

[u]The unexpected[/u]:
17 winning the TOP was definitely unexpected and a welcome twist.
The fact that the whole TOP was actually a test of worthiness for mortals.
Vegeta being outlasted by 17 which probably start causing a fit with the Vegeta fans out there, but 17 fans will probably be very happy with this arc. 8)
I had high expectations of both Gohan and Piccolo but they didn't deliver for me.

This last episode was okay, a 7 out of 10. But unfortunately the whole arc only gets a 5 out of 10 from me.
An arc should start strong and stay strong throughout it's course, not start weak becoming mediocre and end decent.

,[/quote]

Well, Vegeta actually ends up stronger than Goku, this time around
He's literally GoD or beyond level with a full manageable form, while Goku can only get to that level with the terribly draining kaiohken

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:21 am

So... Since the Super Dragon Balls are infinite in power, do we think that Zamasu is back in his destroyed universe? Not that I'd expect to hear from him again...
But it would be nice to think that Future Gohan gets to exist in the afterlife.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 am

Just want to say that part of the reason why Super's been such a rollercoaster is because of this whole community experience. I always look forward to coming to these forums and discussing the episode I just watched. It's been a lot of fun and seeing so many different views of the show all on this one site made for lots of interesting discussions. Thanks guys!

I just want to quote Sam Leach of AnimeNewsNetwork.com on his Episode 130 review, as he summarised why he enjoys the show so much compared to other series, and he basically described exactly how I feel about Super.

"There is no shortage of ways to nitpick the quality of the story, but what Dragon Ball Super has given me in the past few months is an incomparable community experience. I've had a blast freaking out with fellow fans over the big moments, and I can't think of another show that's been able to tap into feelings like that with the regularity and intensity of this series. I'll be sad when it finally has to end, because it became such a reliable source of entertainment week-to-week."

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 am

sintzu wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:Haven’t seen the episode yet but I’m super confused.
What we jirens wish?
How did this resolve the issue of too many universes?
Told you they wouldn't erased all of Super with a wish. Jiren lost. All universes came back.
Thank God for that. Turning the clock back would've been the worst thing they could do.
No this was absolutely worse. The series is incomplete.

The entire point of the ToP was that there were too many universes in general and they would get rid of the low mortal levels universes. The problem wasn’t the low mortal levels it was too many universes to begin with. “Supposedly”

Further we are led to believe that Zeno is a destructive child like entity who doesn’t think before he acts hence the entire Trunks arc ending, who then suddenly at the end is revealed to be this wise sage foreseeing the outcome.

So to get this straight.
Everyone categorizes Zeno as someone who erases things on a whim like he did with the previous 6 universes and Trunks timeline.
So much so that even asking him to not destroy the universes or change the rules could result in destruction.

He then puts all these universes through the anguish of going through being erased in the first place and fighting in a somewhat savage tournament to prove they shouldn’t be destroyed.

Then reveals he is actually very wise and he didn’t really want the universes destroyed...
But what about all the other stuff he destroyed like the 6 universes and Trunks timeline and all the people on it.

Having seen it is makes ZERO sense with Zenos character. It wasn’t even a clever wish or ending and feels like it was completely changed at the last minute from its original ending. It is totally inconsistent with the entire build up to the ToP.

Now beyond that for he future we have even less tension
We now have a Zeno that cares about them and universes existing and who is God of everything, three sets of Dragonballs, Gokus two ultimate forms, and a Whis that can rewind time and raise the dead.

Ugh, the ending needed to be an intelligent solution to there predicament not a 6 year old level cope out.

This just amounted to “wish everyone back” and all that stuff Zeno did to build his characterization well he was just kidding as he clearly cares about the universes but not all the other things he erased on a whim.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:30 am

The fight in this episode was a lot better than last weeks, mostly because I thought the narrative was good for once to back it up, making Goku, Freeza and #17 vs Jiren worthwhile beyond the most basic of spectacle level.

The second half of the episode is where I kind of take issue with things, firstly, #18 actually seeming sad that her brother wished back entire universes instead of getting a boat is probably one of the most retarded things I've ever seen in fiction, ever, of all time. The plot point was idiotic already but bringing it back now and trying to treat it as a thing that might've actually happened is just... wow, that's a spectacular way to murder a lot of your audiences brain cells through sheer idiot writing.

But going past that, once again, I do not get the focus on #17. From the outset, his character felt really weird in that he cares about fighting for a boat over saving nature and his family and I guess this is supposed to be an arc for him but that whole thing at first was already wonky and weird and this being a sort of resolution to that just confuses me. Much like Future Trunks, it feels like this is a guy who's role was probably needlessly exploded into something it wasn't meant to be because he's an old character making a come back.

Also, the twist about the Zeno's using this as a test of character just seems off. I have no idea what Zeno is now. Is he a dangerous man-child who doesn't understand the moral implications of what he's doing, is he a well-intentioned troll? Something in-between? The whole premise of them caring about the development of civilizations already felt OOC but now them concocting some grand tournament just to see if people are nice to each other feels equally right the fuck out of nowhere.

Then again, credit where its due, it's better than Zs ending. That isn't saying much since the only way to make less of an ending than Zs was is if this episode crashed to desktop halfway through by design.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:36 am

ekrolo2 wrote:The fight in this episode was a lot better than last weeks, mostly because I thought the narrative was good for once to back it up, making Goku, Freeza and #17 vs Jiren worthwhile beyond the most basic of spectacle level.

The second half of the episode is where I kind of take issue with things, firstly, #18 actually seeming sad that her brother wished back entire universes instead of getting a boat is probably one of the most retarded things I've ever seen in fiction, ever, of all time. The plot point was idiotic already but bringing it back now and trying to treat it as a thing that might've actually happened is just... wow, that's a spectacular way to murder a lot of your audiences brain cells through sheer idiot writing.

But going past that, once again, I do not get the focus on #17. From the outset, his character felt really weird in that he cares about fighting for a boat over saving nature and his family and I guess this is supposed to be an arc for him but that whole thing at first was already wonky and weird and this being a sort of resolution to that just confuses me. Much like Future Trunks, it feels like this is a guy who's role was probably needlessly exploded into something it wasn't meant to be because he's an old character making a come back.

Also, the twist about the Zeno's using this as a test of character just seems off. I have no idea what Zeno is now. Is he a dangerous man-child who doesn't understand the moral implications of what he's doing, is he a well-intentioned troll? Something in-between? The whole premise of them caring about the development of civilizations already felt OOC but now them concocting some grand tournament just to see if people are nice to each other feels equally right the fuck out of nowhere.

Then again, credit where its due, it's better than Zs ending. That isn't saying much since the only way to make less of an ending than Zs was is if this episode crashed to desktop halfway through by design.
Thank god I'm not the only one trying to reconcile what Zeno is suppose to be with all the characterization we’ve been given of him up to the point. This does not seem like how this was originally supposed to end given our setup of Zeno even back in the Champa arc and feels incredibly lazy and half assed.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:07 am

Farewell, Super! Until we meet again!