Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 131, aired 25 March 2018

奇跡の決着!さらば悟空! また会う日まで!!
Kiseki no Ketchaku! Saraba Gokū! Mata Au Hi Made!!
A Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

Summary:

With Goku out of commission, Freeza has appeared again to challenge Jiren, bringing No.17 with him. Jiren thinks this is a futile display of trust, but Freeza assures him that his only goal is to obtain the Super Dragon Balls; he’s only brought 17 along as insurance. Freeza doesn’t think Jiren seems as strong as before, and vows to defeat him. After the three of them battle for a little while, Freeza reaffirms that Jiren has indeed grown physically and mentally weaker, terrified at the possibility of returning to the weakling he once was. This spurs Jiren to fight back harder, but 17 intervenes and blasts Jiren at point-blank range.

Jiren falls to his knees, panicking Belmod and the others of Universe 11. 17 in on his knees too, having been caught up in the explosion from his own blast, but he knows that Freeza is there to finish the job for him. “Honored” at 17’s trust, Freeza steps forward to finish Jiren off. Pointing his finger at Jiren’s head, he charges up a finger blast. Jiren seems to lack the spirit even to look up, much to Freeza’s regret (he had wanted to see Jiren’s pathetic face at the end). From the bleachers, Toppo shouts out for Jiren to stand back up, saying he believes in Jiren’s strength even if Jiren himself doesn’t.

While Toppo’s sentimental speech makes Freeza feel sick, it motivates Jiren to indeed stand back up. Shrouded in a fiery aura, he counterattacks Freeza, forcing him and 17 to desperately combine their power to hold back his blast (with Freeza reverting from his Golden form to regular form in the process). As the two struggle, Goku returns to his feet and comes to their aid. 17 is surprised Goku can still move, but Goku thinks 17 is in the same boat; he tells 17 to watch their backs while he and Freeza go confront Jiren head-on. Freeza asks if Goku should stay back too, but Goku says all three of them need to cooperate to prevent Universe 7’s destruction.

Seeing that Goku has once again arisen to face him, Jiren gathers more energy. Goku is amazed that Jiren became so strong on his own; even the three of them together might not be enough to defeat him. Still, he assures Freeza that he’ll keep his promise (to restore Freeza to life) so long as Freeza upholds his end of the bargain. Indeed, it’s that naïve aspect of Goku that makes Freeza so sick, though he’s grateful for it at the moment. Goku, Freeza, and 17’s combined blast breaks through Jiren’s wall of energy, and Goku and Freeza rush forward to fight him together.

In the bleachers, Kuririn and Vegeta are both agog at the sight of Goku and Freeza fighting side-by-side against a common foe. While the two of them engage Jiren in hand-to-hand combat, 17 supports them from behind with a volley of energy blasts. Jiren finally breaks through Goku and Freeza’s assault and goes after 17, so Freeza has Goku throw him at Jiren. Freeza tackles Jiren and flies downward, trying to ring them both out, but Jiren overcomes him. Goku catches up with them and joins Freeza in pushing Jiren out of the ring, briefly managing to become regular Super Saiyan once more. As Beerus and the Universe 7 team cheer them on, the combined might of Goku and Freeza at last succeeds in pushing Jiren out of bounds.

Goku, Freeza, and Jiren all materialize in the bleachers. While Goku tries to thank Freeza, Freeza says that all he wants is for Goku to keep his promise. With Jiren eliminated, the Great Priest formally announces the defeat of Universe 11. As they prepare to be erased, Toppo thanks Jiren for all he did, though Jiren can’t understand why; after all, he treated Toppo and the rest of the Pride Troopers with contempt throughout the tournament. Goku expresses his desire to fight Jiren again; he thinks they both got stronger by fighting one another and is eager to meet Jiren again sometime. Jiren looks shocked, but smiles just before he vanishes.

Now only 17 remains in the arena, and the Great Priest descends to ask him if he has decided on a wish. The Super Dragon Balls appear in the sky above, and the Great Priest speaks the “language of the gods” to summon forth Super Shenlong. While 17 hesitates at first, he looks over at Goku and then wishes to restore all the destroyed universes. The Great Priest repeats this wish in the divine language, and Super Shenlong departs. In the newly restored Universe 6, Caulifla and Kale rejoice to find themselves alive again, while Cabba sees that his master Vegeta kept his promise. Caulifla forces Cabba to help her and Kale train to reach Super Saiyan 3. Off on his own, Champa refuses to thank his brother.

Universes 10, 3, 2, 9, 4, and 11 are likewise restored. In Universe 11, Jiren reflects on Goku’s desire to meet again, but believes himself too hung up on his past to ever form a bond with Goku or anyone else. However, Toppo wonders if Jiren is really so cowardly; in the tournament when Jiren rose to his feet that final time, he was doing it in response to the hopes of all the Pride Troopers, forming a bond with them for the first time. His confidence restored, Jiren vows along with Toppo that they will triumph the next time they battle Goku and the others.

Back in the World of Void, 18 asks 17 if he’s OK with this wish; what about his dream of travelling the world with his family? 17 though is happy to have saved multiple universes; he can surely take care of his job and family on his own. As 18 says that 17 and Goku are becoming more like one another, Freeza asks to be taken back to Hell. His time hasn’t run out yet, but he’d rather be in Hell than stick around and watch everyone else’s happy ending. In response, Whis gives Freeza something to be happy about, using his staff to bring Freeza back to life. This is a present from Beerus, in return for Freeza’s fine performance at the end. While Freeza says he will continue his evil ways, Goku vows to defeat him if he tries anything.

The Omni-Kings fly down and greet Goku, saying that the tournament was a lot of fun. Shin says that 17’s wish was unexpected, but the Great Priest explains that the Omni-Kings had foreseen that the warrior left out the end would be virtuous enough to consider the other universes. On the flipside, if the last warrior standing had made a selfish wish, the Omni-Kings would have erased “everything”. Whis thinks that this perhaps shows that the Omni-Kings expect Goku and the others to change things. The Omni-Kings ask Goku what they should do next, but Beerus and Shin panic and say that they will have to be heading home now. The Great Priest congratulates Universe 7 on their splendid fight and wish, while Goku promises to come back and see the Omni-Kings again sometime.

And so, the Tournament of Power concludes, and everyone returns to the daily lives. The gang all celebrate Bra’s birth some more, and Bulma even lets 17 use her cruise ship (from her birthday party) to travel around the world. Freeza returns to the remains of his army out in space, while Goku and Vegeta spar against each other in the wastelands on Earth. The two both use their Super Saiyan Blue forms, since it turns out Goku is unable to activate Ultra Instinct at will; it seems that it was something that only happened accidentally in the harsh conditions of the tournament. Hearing this, Vegeta vows to obtain an even greater power. Goku says they can both get stronger and stronger, and Vegeta agrees that a Saiyan’s strength knows no limits.

Goku and Vegeta continue to challenge their limits, but their adventure will begin again once a new powerful opponent appears. Until then, a brief parting.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm

The best thing about this episode is that while it's pretty damn predictable, the direction itself was rather powerful. While I will admit the series epilogue was something we've already saw across the border, I did like that there was a little twist to it such as No.17 being the one to do it rather than Goku or Vegeta doing the wishing. Not only is it a unique way of utilizing a character that was long since forgotten ever since the Cell Arc (well aside from his little contribution to the Genki Dama in the Boo Arc), but it's an impressive way to show Goku's influence to every character he's ever interacted with.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:27 pm

Ugh, I don't have wifi and won't be able to get it for a couple of weeks, so I can't watch the episode yet. :cry: :cry:

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:The best thing about this episode is that while it's pretty damn predictable, the direction itself was rather powerful. While I will admit the series epilogue was something we've already saw across the border, I did like that there was a little twist to it such as No.17 being the one to do it rather than Goku or Vegeta doing the wishing. Not only is it a unique way of utilizing a character that was long since forgotten ever since the Cell Arc (well aside from his little contribution to the Genki Dama in the Boo Arc), but it's an impressive way to show Goku's influence to every character he's ever interacted with.
What was predictable about it though. The only real things I saw people predict were either Goku wins as usual, Freeza wins on a cliffhanger to set up a future arc someday, or time expires with Goku and Jiren fighting and because Freeza is there he wins. Nobody even knew 17 was in the tournament until last week. And nobody predicted Goku and Freeza sacrificing themselves to defeat Jiren so 17 could get the win.

The only predictable thing was bringing back the universes', which was obvious since it was highly unlikely they were going to create all these universes worth of characters only to erase them forever.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:31 pm

I thought Freeza didn’t have followers any more and he killed the last of them back on Earth ?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 pm

That was very heartwarming. The ending was very predictable, but the way it was presented made up for it. This episode had fantastic direction.

I'm surprised that it didn't feel as rushed as I thought it was going to be. Really loved the music placement throughout it. Goku and Freeza working together to eliminate Jiren was amazing.

I really really liked how they wrapped up Jiren's character. That was definitely the best way to do it. I was not expecting Freeza to be resurrected by Beerus of all people. Seeing him with his ship and army already is crazy since they were all destroyed back in Resurrection 'F'.

That whole ending sequence with Limit Break x Survivor playing in the background was perfect. The Goku and Vegeta scene that followed it damn near killed me with nostalgia.

This sure as hell isn't the end of Super. I am so convinced that it's going to return a year from now. Until then, I'll be looking forward to this new movie. It's been a crazy ride so far.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 pm

17 definitely deserves the hype Toei gave him before he made his repppearance in the series. Wow, talk bout MVP

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:34 pm

One of the best directed episodes of Super if not the best. Don't think it's in my top 5 of the series but for an ending episode it was pretty ok. Sure they could have ended the TOP in the second to last episode but it's ok.
Now as a whole series, all i gotta say is it was enoyable. Sure it has flaws and sometimes it pissed me off, but Saturdays/Sundays were fun (most of the time) while Super was on.
Bye Goku and friends and see ya in December. :D

(The 1 month waiting for the manga is gonna kill me now) :D

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 pm

MasterVampire wrote:I thought Freeza didn’t have followers any more and he killed the last of them back on Earth ?
It's amazing what a short spree of cold blooded murder can get you. A nice new ship, some knew solders etc.

He's not talking to his men, he's talking to the universe, I'm back!

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:37 pm

lancerman wrote:What was predictable about it though.
Well, here you go. You've said it yourself:
lancerman wrote:The only real things I saw people predict were either Goku wins as usual, The only predictable thing was bringing back the universes', which was obvious.
Indeed, they way in which the writer have decided to handle Universe 7's Victory was different from what many fans have expected with No.17 still remaining on the stage, the whole crux of it still boils down to Universe 7 winning and wishing min'na back.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Just Like I said on the New Thread............All I Want to Say............All I Need to Say..............& And All That SHOULD be Said as the Most Important Part from ME About Episode 131 is;

[spoiler]THANK YOU ANDROID #17!!!! :clap: :thumbup:

I am Beyond Happy Right NOW!!!! :D

Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Not much surprises except Freeza's resurrection (I still would have loved to see Earths dragon refuse the wish coz he cant do it) but that was everything i could have asked in an ending that basically had 10 minutes to wrap up the series. I had a smile the whole time.

No wrap up into z is interesting I'm guessing they want to ride this train as long as possible. And awesome that we got a ultra instinct explanation I was hoping we would, but will he just transform any time hes backed into a corner now?

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 pm

I feel extremely vindicated as a Kale fan. Despite what her detractors thought, she ended up coming back in the end! Fantastic episode in that sense at least.
Feels over Reals.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Wow they found a way to make this feel like a climax/series finale.

Spoiler warning:

Good:
-STORYBOARDS, STORYBOARDS,STORYBOARDS. 100% Elevated this episode to God Tier heights.
-There is real sense of tension as they explain basically everyone is out energy.
-Freeza and #17 play so well of each other since they have no history.
-Jiren's arc comes full circle with Toppo saying that Jiren fights for his comrades even if he doesn't realize it.
-AMAZING CLIMACTIC BATTLE SCENE by Yuya Takahashi that has Freeza and Goku teaming up with combos
-So the #17 ended up winning. Was there anyone more deserving than the MVP?
-I for one am happy the universes are back as there is more Dragon Ball stories and spinoffs possible than ever before.
-Beerus making the call to revive Freeza was a good call as he doesn't fear Freeza or what Freeza will do. Freeza is just another mortal in his eyes and a useful one at that.
-Ending montage was great as they didn't voice bulma

Bad(bad, not series destroying plot holes)
-The way the universes were brought back was expected(so much so that even GP expected LOL) but the fact that #17 did made it a bit if a twist as many were worrying(me included) is this guy actually gonna wish for a boat.
-Ending the series with Goku and Vegeta was ridiculously fanservicesy and unrelated to the arc that ended by highlighting the wildcards #17 and Freeza yet the last panel is Goku and Vegeta show.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 pm

nato25 wrote:Not much surprises except Freeza's resurrection (I still would have loved to see Earths dragon refuse the wish coz he cant do it) but that was everything i could have asked in an ending that basically had 10 minutes to wrap up the series. I had a smile the whole time.

No wrap up into z is interesting I'm guessing they want to ride this train as long as possible. And awesome that we got a ultra instinct explanation I was hoping we would, but will he just transform any time hes backed into a corner now?
Yeah that is in no way going to be a factor in the upcoming movie, no sir not a chance :roll:.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Android C-17 MVP Of Dragon Ball Super redeeming the trash thingy that was the Super Android 17 from Dragon Ball GT 8)
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:46 pm

We never found out what Jiren wanted to wish for if he had won the Super Dragon Balls. That was something I really wanted to know before the arc wrapped up. I guess we can just assume that he wanted to become even stronger?

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Honestly that was a perfect finale. No better way to end DBS. And 17 continues to be the best character of this series.

The Goku and Frieza vs Jiren parts were choreographed so amazingly. I got hyped when Goku went SSJ cause I hadn't seen it in ages.
I felt for Jiren too kinda, but his character still needs a lot of work. I found Toppos speech cringy as hell though.
Feel glad for the wish. Nice to see Champa and gang back.

Overall I'll give DBS a 7 out of 10. I loved the Goku vs Vegeta positions reference in comparison with the first battle they had in the Saiyan arc.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Not a bad episode but pretty weak for a finale, especially in comparison to 130. Everything was extremely predictable except for Goku and Frieza eliminating themselves to take Jiren down. It would have been much better if Frieza and 17 really had to struggle more and end up knocking out Jiren, as it was he was basically just overpowered by all 3 because he was out of energy. More comments from the revived universes would have made a huge difference , all in all it was rushed as hell but that was expected.

The best part about it was someone other than Goku contributing greatly to the win, and Beerus reviving Frieza. Also Toppo showing Jiren he does have friends. As someone else said I want to know what Jirens wish was, especially when they made it a point to show us he wants the Dragonballs.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 pm

So that was a pretty great episode, the fight was actually way better looking and just better choreographed than the previous episode and the overall writing was better in that episode than most episodes of this arc. Great way to end the show (for now).
Last edited by Kokonoe on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.