Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:32 am

Did anyone else think that it would of been better if the universes were restored in the void? I personally wanted them to come back to the area and see 17, their saviour lol. Only U6 seem to know why they were brought back.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 am

LightBing wrote:Some quick thoughts since I'm pretty tired, I'll be re-watching the last two episodes for a more robust opinion.
The good:
- #17 winning the tournament. It's a nice little surprise.
- Excellently directed.
- Cool little fight.

The neutral:
- The final wish as certain as the morning sun. It just had to happen.

The bad:
- Toppo's speech. More shounen crap for a character I don't care about.
- Zeno-chan redemption, it could have been a cool twist, a depraved way how Gods push Universes to better themselves. Except it's absolutely out-of-character, we literally saw him destroy a Universe in the previous arc for no goddamn reason. Besides all the others before and the fear they instill on someone like Beerus and you want to take that all away?
- Ultra Instinct is gone, why? Just..., why?

- Nostalgia at the end, bleh sick and tired of it.

First impression wasn't great, obviously at this point is hard for me to ignore Super's anime baggage.
Just for the bolded

1) no reason? Zamasu spread throughout the entirety of that timeline and was spreading into another one. I’d say that he had a reason for destroying everything

2) what’s wrong with Ultra Instinct being gone for now? It once again showed goku that there’s still more barriers to go through?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:39 am

WittyUsername wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Asura wrote:Just imagine the type of character we could have gotten had Jiren had the type of characterization we saw in 130 and 131.

130 and 131 made him look like a really good character, but unfortunately that's just two episodes and as an overall product, Jiren was shit.
I feel like Jirens big character change would have been more effective if they established his character before 127, because up to that point, he was pretty much just a big strong silent type. Hell, he didn't even have any cool quips or abilities like say Hit, he was just really strong.

I think showing his true selfish nature earlier, could have helped make his turn to the light side have more impact.
I still maintain that making Jiren a selfless hero would’ve been far more interesting than making him an edge lord who subscribes to the really cliched philosophy of “friends are meaningless and only strength matters”. I really hope the manga is different in that regard.
I think that would be a more interesting route as well.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:41 am

I really dont know how I feel.

The end of the fight was awesome. Freeza and Goku double KOing along with Jiren was a surprise. The universes being revived was something everything saw coming but if Zeno expected it to happen it makes the arc even more pointless.

And Ultra Instinct being gone is something I had a feeling would happen but its obvious it'll come back.

The ending montage while nice it feels like something was missing. idk.

I can't say I'm gonna miss Super. But I can't say I didn't enjoy watching it despite all the bullshit.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:I really dont know how I feel.

The end of the fight was awesome. Freeza and Goku double KOing along with Jiren was a surprise. The universes being revived was something everything saw coming but if Zeno expected it to happen it makes the arc even more pointless.

And Ultra Instinct being gone is something I had a feeling would happen but its obvious it'll come back.

The ending montage while nice it feels like something was missing. idk.

I can't say I'm gonna miss Super. But I can't say I didn't enjoy watching it despite all the bullshit.
I think the idea is that Zen-Oh wanted to see if someone from one of the lower universes could prove that they’re worth saving by demonstrating an act of selflessness. In other words, the whole tournament was basically a test.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
LightBing wrote:Some quick thoughts since I'm pretty tired, I'll be re-watching the last two episodes for a more robust opinion.
The good:
- #17 winning the tournament. It's a nice little surprise.
- Excellently directed.
- Cool little fight.

The neutral:
- The final wish as certain as the morning sun. It just had to happen.

The bad:
- Toppo's speech. More shounen crap for a character I don't care about.
- Zeno-chan redemption, it could have been a cool twist, a depraved way how Gods push Universes to better themselves. Except it's absolutely out-of-character, we literally saw him destroy a Universe in the previous arc for no goddamn reason. Besides all the others before and the fear they instill on someone like Beerus and you want to take that all away?
- Ultra Instinct is gone, why? Just..., why?

- Nostalgia at the end, bleh sick and tired of it.

First impression wasn't great, obviously at this point is hard for me to ignore Super's anime baggage.
Just for the bolded

1) no reason? Zamasu spread throughout the entirety of that timeline and was spreading into another one. I’d say that he had a reason for destroying everything

2) what’s wrong with Ultra Instinct being gone for now? It once again showed goku that there’s still more barriers to go through?
But he didn't do it because of that. He did it because he found it annoying/at Goku's suggestion not to stop Zamasu.

It invalidates Goku's progression in this arc and gives no good reason for it. I already know nobody has limits in this anime, that's one of the it's pillars.

Okara

Post by Okara » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:48 am

Good:
Ending with Goku and Vegeta as actual rivals.
Goku not having immediate access to Ultra Instinct.

Bad: Everything else.

It rendered the whole premise of the arc pointless. Why not just do a universal tournament without the stupid, meaningless “erasure” threat? The characters took their sweet ass time having fun for 95% of the arc anyway, so what was the point? It’s just more of Super’s artificial drama.

I’ve always had problems with some of Toriyama’s ultimately-meaningless plot developments, such as Krillin’s second death (reviving Krillin made it meaningless). But this just takes “pointless and fake” to a whole new level. The characters didn’t even have to come up with a creative way to get Zeno or GP to undo the erasures. It’s just the typical “get out of jail free” card with the Dragon Balls because “Oh, Zeno was just testing you guys the whole time trolololol,” which his reasoning for conducting the test doesn’t even make sense. It was random chance that 17 ended up surviving to the end and making a selfless wish. What does that prove about mortals in general? That there are good among the bad? That’s called common sense.

And what the hell is going on with Frieza? Why are they letting him live? The deal was that he’d be revived, not that they’d let him go commit more genocide.
Last edited by Okara on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:50 am

An amazing episode from start to finish.I never got bored for even a second,and seeing Goku and Freeza team up was something i wanted from the start,and i got it! Thank you for all the great times Super.Until we meet again.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:51 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:Haven’t seen the episode yet but I’m super confused.
What we jirens wish?
How did this resolve the issue of too many universes?
Told you they wouldn't erased all of Super with a wish. Jiren lost. All universes came back.
Thank God for that. Turning the clock back would've been the worst thing they could do.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:51 am

Hopefully the U6 Saiyans, Hit and Jiren will have a role in future arcs if Super ever returns.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:54 am

Was this a perfect finale? No, but was it enjoyable, heck yes. I liked how 17 was the last one standing, it felt nice. Freeza and Goku double KO Jiren was satisfying and as well the small bit of development with Jiren was good. It does feel like it's two episodes in one, but overall I'm glad what came out of it. It was a neat touch that the zeno's were expecting the universes to come back but if a selfish wish was made, then it would be the end. I was kind of hoping for a bit more drama with it, like Zeno saying if they don't keep their mortal level up then they would erase them again but maybe that would be too dark for a finale trying to be light hearted.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:54 am

nato25 wrote:Can we take a second to appreciate that Dr. Gero effectively built the multiverses saviour. How crazy is that to think about.

Amazing that even that ties back to Goku destroying the RR army back in DB. I love this series
He's probably turning in his grave now. :lol:

It's amazing how well everything ties together and how different things would've been if one event from the past played out differently.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:56 am

What was that surprise they were talking about?

damkylan

Post by damkylan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:02 am

Astonishingly bad ending to an already deplorable arc. I'm gonna go watch some GT to get this bad taste out of my mouth. The English version with the rap.

...Okay, not really.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:08 am

By far the best episode of DBS
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:11 am

HOLD THE DAMN PHONE!!..... Whis can bring the fricken DEAD back?

- Goku Got Nerfed.. Probably to realistically save room for future villains. Which is kinda smart in my opinion.

- If anything I'm most shocked about Freeza being alive.. for now anyway. Hopfully new dude in the Movie this year kills him so that there's still some wiggle room for GT to fit with this time line lol.

- 17 on facetime was cool too lol..

Whelp, Cheers to the future! :thumbup:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

RockmanX37

Post by RockmanX37 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:13 am

Really good episode.
The ride ends for now!
Cpuz
A true man never dies.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:17 am

I was initially as confused as I thought I'd be when all the universes were restored. Thinking way back, Zeno was going to erase all 12 universes due to their mortals not really progressing. Then, the tournament made him decide that the one winning tournament would escape this erasure. So, wishing those 11 back would've just led to them being erased again due to Zeno's displeasure with their mortals, right? But then they explained it by saying that Zeno foresaw the outcome and had a (renewed) hope that mortals could change and improve. So I'm glad they subtlety touched on that so as to avoid confusion.

Anyway, wow that last sequence with Goku and Freeza teaming up was so cool. I figured they'd have a moment like that, but it really blew me away. Last week looked amazing in animation and choreography, but it didn't have me jumping out of my seat like that final team up did. Not to mention Goku doing all he could to channel Super Saiyan really showed off his fatigue while also giving us a good old golden hair throwback. Good stuff, ended a little abruptly but I don't mind since we know Super is continuing with at least 1 movie.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:22 am

Kinda mixed episode.I am happy freeza is still a villain and the universes got erased.Not that happy,about top just being a test and zeno being a good guy,but at least he would had erased everything at a selfish wish,so not that.

Predictable is not always bad.I would very happy if U13-U18 are brought back.
Some new things:

-Whis can resurrect people?okay 8)

-They remembered tights.

-They forgot vegetables new form,who knew?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:23 am

The bad things out of the way first:

1) Obviously, the end wish is totally predictable. That's not really a negative by itself, but combined with the fact that the wish renders this entire arc completely inconsequential is certainly something worth bringing up.

2) The episode definitely feels rushed and probably should've been split into 2.

Other than that...this was INCREDIBLE in my opinion. The fighting in last week was a bit better, but I think I enjoyed this one just as much. The direction and animation in particular was just astounding, as was the writing. Man, the WRITING. Just great stuff all around. Whoever wrote this episode should be responsible for every key episode of Dragon Ball. The dialogue was just SO on point throughout.

And obviously, the team effort from Goku and Freeza was a fantastic moment that strayed the line of making Freeza and ally without him turning good PERFECTLY.

And this episode, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, made me kind of like Jiren. In the end, he still isn't a very good character overall, but man, this episode came close to making me actually care a LITTLE bit about him. Almost. And any episode that can make me feel anything for a character that is as terrible as Jiren deserves massive praise. Why the hell did we have to wait till the very end to see this side of him? Such a shame.

Lastly, that ending bit with Goku and Vegeta doing their classic poses, while shameless fanservice, was in my opinion the right kind of shameless fanservice. It just makes sense to end the show on that frame.