Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 pm

RedHeat wrote:I feel extremely vindicated as a Kale fan. Despite what her detractors thought, she ended up coming back in the end! Fantastic episode in that sense at least.
Congratz on that Feeling RedHeat, Kale was one of the most interesting and sweet characters in this arc and she become a personal favorite of mine. So Glad to hear you go what you wanted out of the episode as a Kale Fan, I was happy to see her back as well! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Don't know what to feel about this ending... I mean they came to the obvious "restore everything" wish, but it was a OPEN ending... I think we sure can expect a new series coming up soon, still nothing about the new movie yet.
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:55 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:Wow they found a way to make this feel like a climax/series finale.

Good:
-STORYBOARDS, STORYBOARDS,STORYBOARDS. 100% Elevated this episode to God Tier heights.
-There is real sense of tension as they explain basically everyone is out energy.
-Freeza and #17 play so well of each other since they have no history.
-Jiren's arc comes full circle with Toppo saying that Jiren fights for his comrades even if he doesn't realize it.
-AMAZING CLIMACTIC BATTLE SCENE by Yuya Takahashi that has Freeza and Goku teaming up with combos
-So the #17 ended up winning. Was there anyone more deserving than the MVP?
-I for one am happy the universes are back as there is more Dragon Ball stories and spinoffs possible than ever before.
-Beerus making the call to revive Freeza was a good call as he doesn't fear Freeza or what Freeza will do. Freeza is just another mortal in his eyes and a useful one at that.
-Ending montage was great as they didn't voice bulma

Bad(bad, not series destroying plot holes)
-The way the universes were brought back was expected(so much so that even GP expected LOL) but the fact that #17 did made it a bit if a twist as many were worrying(me included) is this guy actually gonna wish for a boat.
-Ending the series with Goku and Vegeta was ridiculously fanservicesy and unrelated to the arc that ended by highlighting the wildcards #17 and Frieza yet the last panel is Goku and Vegeta show.
I agree about the ending being fan service as well. I'm kind of tired of this breaking limits dialogue both Goku and Vegeta keep exchanging with each other. It's getting redundant, strive for something new geez. They did the same poses from the saiyan saga just like Toyotaro already did. Very unoriginal. However, everything else before that was so amazing. 17 got his boat, Vegeta comes back to see his daughter etc. It was just so heartwarming. Sadly I wish there was more time to wrap everything up, there are so many things that have not been explained.

I agree with everything else you stated. The storyboard or writer, i forgot her role, but she did episode 107 and I absolutely loved that episode.

The ending wrapped up everything so well. I am also glad that we will not see Ultra Instinct ever again.. Hopefully.
Freeza9000 wrote:The best thing about this episode is that while it's pretty damn predictable, the direction itself was rather powerful. While I will admit the series epilogue was something we've already saw across the border, I did like that there was a little twist to it such as No.17 being the one to do it rather than Goku or Vegeta doing the wishing. Not only is it a unique way of utilizing a character that was long since forgotten ever since the Cell Arc (well aside from his little contribution to the Genki Dama in the Boo Arc), but it's an impressive way to show Goku's influence to every character he's ever interacted with.
Yes!!!! Goku is such an influential figure. He's got Frieza to suck up and work alongside him. He's turned characters such as Vegeta, Piccolo and Tenshinhan to become heroes instead of remaining as villains. All of Dragon Ball is mostly about Goku's influence. What a great way to wrap it up with Android 18 stating 17 is starting to become more like Goku.
CJStriker_CBR wrote:Just Like I said on the New Thread............All I Want to Say............All I Need to Say..............& And All That SHOULD be Said as the Most Important Part from ME About Episode 131 is;

THANK YOU ANDROID #17!!!! :clap: :thumbup:

I am Beyond Happy Right NOW!!!! :D
Hahaha when I realized the Universes were revived, I had a feeling you'd be psyched to see Ribrianne and the others. I was happy as well!!! Glad to see these new characters were not erased!!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Haven’t seen the episode yet but I’m super confused.
What we jirens wish?
How did this resolve the issue of too many universes?

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:57 pm

RedHeat wrote:I feel extremely vindicated as a Kale fan. Despite what her detractors thought, she ended up coming back in the end! Fantastic episode in that sense at least.
You feel vindicated by a Dragon Ball story wishing everyone back at the end? Let's not turn this into some character fanboy war pls ty.

Dylanrockin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dylanrockin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:57 pm

I can't be mad at this final episode, because it wrapped everything up appropriately, for me anyways. It had a really well-animated battle that ended in something that I did not expect with #17 still being in the ring and making the wish instead of obvs Goku or Vegeta or even Frieza. The theme song playing during the last 2 minutes was great and reminded me a lot of the ending from GT which... admittedly was the only amazingly powerful part of GT (Japanese dub-wise, because it had Dan-Dan) for me, but this I feel had a very similar impact as that one. The Universes coming back was everything I expected and I can't say I'm too surprised nor mad about that and the explanation that Zen-oh would have erased everything had it been a selfish wish made it seem less annoying, which I'm okay with.

The Saiyan Saga poses were nice and fan-servicy, but it's the final episode, so I'm gonna take that as something awesome for me. Frieza still being a bad-dude is good, and that he got what he wanted was equally good, and I feel that the ending part of that felt like a potential cliffhanger for a future arc, since according to Masakou Nozowa the TV anime taking a little break" while the movie is in production, maybe we can expect something better than Resurrection F Saga, hopefully?

Citation for those curious as to what the hell I was talking about with the quote above: "http://www.animegamesonline.com/2018/03 ... 1-preview/"

Overall, good ending for an overall 7.9/10, too much water show. Dragon Ball Super was a fun ride and it did a lot of cool, fun things and brought some incredibly memorable villains and characters into its Universe. And even though there were some infuriating moments in the show, it was not enough to be a deal breaker for me to ever stop watching. Production values in the early 3 Arcs aside.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 pm

This is the best ending of any super arc because i feel satisfied. Sure, there was a lot of stuff I wanted to happen but i also knew they couldn't do it all so I just said just do what you can do.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Great way to end the series. Really happy it ended with Goku and Freeza being the two to work together and defeat Jiren via sacrafice. Was nice to see 17 be last. If nothing else this series made Freeza and 17 viable characters to exist alongside the main cast in some capacity, while adding massive additions to the mythos. Loved the ending. They did a good job making the stakes high and the pace strong for this episode. Despite some issues with Goku finding ways to power back up a lot, this was definitely the best arc of Super and probably my favorite arc since the Freeza arc. Also it was the best tournament in the series probably.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 pm

All I can say is thank god Freeza didn't stay on Earth. I was worried towards the end there that he would stay at Capsule corp. and become the next Vegeta or Piccolo.

The fact that he said, "I don't intend to stop my evil ways" and went back into space and found his empire makes me glad. "Good Guy Freeza" would definitely be shark jumping material.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 pm

This was such a satisfying episode, one of the best in super by far. The final battle was epic, I've been bored with most super fights up until this point. I did not like that 17 was the last in the ring, but at least he actually made a good (although predictable) wish. I'm just happy Freeza's back and with his Freeza force again, I really want to see where that will lead in the future. Also, note how Beerus asked Whis to bring Freeza back to life, I really think Freeza will apprentice under Whis, even though my overall theory on the ending of super was wrong I think we may have an arc about that in the upcoming series. Overall the episode for me is a 9.5 out of 10, It's not perfect by any means, It was a very safe ending but very Dragonball. I'm just shocked that TTT managed to wrap all of it up in one episode without feeling cramped, sorry for doubting them.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Amazing episode!

Was anyone else impressed that Goku was pushing himself so hard that he was flickering Super Saiyan on and off??

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm glad the plotline of Trunks/Goten stopping the poachers was resolved, as well as 17 getting his boat. If they left those two plotlines unfinished I would have been pissed.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 pm

:clap:

I loved this ending. Frieza and Goku fighting together was extremely awesome to see. Seeing Jiren actually progress as a character was also awesome.

Gotta say, the wish was predictable, but didn't expect 17 to be the one making it. Maybe they'll reveal the other 6 Universes got restored as well. Looks like Super Shenron is indeed a powerful force as well.

Now to find something to fill the void. Maybe I'll watch the dub from the beginning.

Till next time, everyone!

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 pm

"B-b-but 17 you were gonna go on a trip with your family!"

18... he freakin saved several universes wtf lol.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:04 pm

TheMikado wrote:Haven’t seen the episode yet but I’m super confused.
What we jirens wish?
How did this resolve the issue of too many universes?
The "too many universes" thing wasn't really a cleansing type of deal, in the end, it was a test of morals due to the fact that if the victor wished for something selfish their universe would also be deleted. The Grand-Priest and Zeno's knew all along the universes would be wished back. Dunno if that answers your question.
Last edited by RedHeat on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feels over Reals.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Tsunder Frieza "Don't thank me, Baka!"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:That was very heartwarming. The ending was very predictable, but the way it was presented made up for it.
Looks like they learned with their past mistake in the previous arc ending lol
TheMikado wrote:Haven’t seen the episode yet but I’m super confused. What was Jiren's wish? How did this resolve the issue of too many universes?
This final episode confirmed that "too many universes" were nothing but a huge BS made up by the Grand Priest, this tournament just served to please the Zen-Oh and was kinda of a test for the eventual winning universe.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Kokonoe wrote:"B-b-but 17 you were gonna go on a trip with your family!"

18... he freakin saved several universes wtf lol.
Yeah I found that line so odd. So heartless as well lol? Like does it really matter? He could just get a damn boat from Bulma. 18 was being overdramatic af :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Mixed thoughts. Loved the first half, not too big on the second one.

Have to give props to Toei and Toriyama for a great climax. Dragon Ball always knows how to nail unique climaxes and the ToP fortunately was no exception. The Goku/Freeza team-up was great. Props to the director as well, the whole episode was well-directed. I could really feel Goku struggling to get up when Freeza and #17 were being overwhelmed and later him struggling to turn Super Saiyan. Great stuff. Glad Jiren's character arc was finished too, because I couldn't sit through anymore of his emo speeches anymore.

Unfortunately, the second part is where things get bad for me. I don't really have a problem with #17 being the survivor, I expected him to have a big role since he wouldn't be brought back for no reason. Like Trunks before him, I think Super improved on the character. The problem, I feel, is that he, again like Trunks, was needlessly shoved in scenes he had no place being, so I can understand how he may have left some a poor taste in some people's mouths. Still, I think the character himself was fine, just the way he was handled that was poor. Regardless, my problem is with the wish. It was extremely predictable and safe. Which is, really, my biggest problem with the ending of the series: it's safe. The universes are brought back, making the tournament pointless. Goku can't access Ultra Instinct at will and Vegeta seemingly forgets about his new form at the end, making the tournament pointless. The Omni-Kings and the Gods/Angels were actually good guys all along that have always cared about virtue and righteousness, oh wow, what a convenient way to handwave all the bullshit they've put our characters through this entire series. Don't get me wrong, I wanted the universes to be brought back, because otherwise all this potential is wasted (and it was), but they should have found a more creative workaround whilst still retaining the interesting tension between the mortals and the Gods that the beginning of the tournament established. I won't get started on them backtracking on the whole "Goku's a danger to the universe" plot point because that has happened a long time ago already.

The ending montage was a bit cheesy but not a big deal. I liked the callback at the end.

Surprised they had the balls to resurrect Freeza and have him recreate his empire. I thought one of two things would happen: 1) he'd go back to Hell or 2) he'd turn into a good guy completely. I'd be fine with 1), even if it'd make his inclusion completely pointless, but 2) was completely off-the-table for me. So I was pleased with the choice they went with. Curious to see how they'll handle the character from now on. Really happy they didn't completely butcher his character some more after the disaster that F was for him.

Oh, Whis can revive people now... Great, I guess. I don't even care at this point.

All in all, a great climax followed by a mediocre wrap-up. Can't really say it was better than DB, Z or GT's endings even with all its merits.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 pm

It feels really surreal seeing the ToP finally come to an end. It was a good episode overall, but I didn’t feel much tension on the count of the fact that Jiren was outnumbered for the entire episode. Then again, we all knew the protagonists Jitendra was going to lose anyway, so I guess it doesn’t make too much of a difference. The revelation that Zen-Oh apparently wanted the eraser universes to be brought back also makes me lose some of the dislike I previously had for him.

As a side note, it’s kind of cheap that Whis can just casually revive the dead like it’s nothing. I know that this is Dragon Ball and everything, but that seems too convenient.