DBZ AMV Guide

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

DBZ AMV Guide

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:59 pm

Daizenshuu EX - Guide to DragonBall Music Videos

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? How do you feel about the choices? Are there others you would have included? Do you have any special memories of any of the videos?

Have fun!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:19 pm

I enjoyed most of the video's listed; some I had already enjoyed, others I had never heard of (which prompted me to download them and enjoyed immensly). Still, others I just couldn't find anywhere, like Cooler Reloaded. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me where I can find it :D

Their are a few that weren't on, which was a little dissapointing. I didn't see anything from DBZSC, and since they also use DVD ripped footage they have some of the best looking music videos you can find.

Also a few others (who's titles and creators escape me at the moment) who have been around since forever, and basically made DBZ music videos popular (then ironically unpopular) weren't even mentioned:

It's My Life - Random DBZ clips, but good quality and timing.

Intergalactic (By Beasty boys) - Poor quality, but excellent timing One of the oldest I can remember.

Up in Here (DMX) - Okay, another random fight scene music video. But the quality footage of the Janemba fight and Hildegarn was great. You just can't watch this one without getting into it.

Sure, not ground breaking music videos. They didn't win awards or mass recognition, but they did get the ball rolling. I still stick by the creed that a music video should be first entertaining, then meaningful.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:25 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Their are a few that weren't on, which was a little dissapointing. I didn't see anything from DBZSC, and since they also use DVD ripped footage they have some of the best looking music videos you can find.
My problem with their videos is that there's just no artistic substance to them what-so-ever. They're extremely nice looking, they're put together well, and for the most part, the attention to timing and motion is fantastic.

But I've seen the Buu saga. I don't need to see it, again, in correct chronological order, to a nine minute song.

That's just not doing anything new with the footage. With all the videos I listed, they attempted to tell some kind of new story or further explore some kind of issue that hadn't been covered as well in the original story. That's the kinda stuff I look for in music videos. Of course, I'm really approaching this quite differently than most people. I'm not just an AMV viewer; I'm also a creator. You can't win me over just by having pretty looking encodes... I'm looking for much more than that. I think that's something that can help separate creators from viewers; a viewer is more likely to look past artistic things and look straight for the "quality" of the visuals, where-as a creator is more likely to be able to look past technical quality and really dive into the artistic qualities of the video.

I haven't seen any of the three others you mentioned. They sound like old, crappy ones that you find on KaZaa all the time :P. Hehe. And yeah, I don't understand why it's so hard to find Cooler: Reloaded. It's as if DannyPoo just doesn't acknowledge its existence. It's not listed ANYWHERE on his site, and it's not listed on his AMVorg profile. I don't even remember how I found it. I think it was off of some link off of his message board, somewhere. It's got his name and his URL at the end... you'd think that, for something so cool, he'd want to put it out, more :P
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote:That's just not doing anything new with the footage. With all the videos I listed, they attempted to tell some kind of new story or further explore some kind of issue that hadn't been covered as well in the original story. That's the kinda stuff I look for in music videos.
*Cough*Projectdoomrider*Cough*

Sorry about that. Anyway, I've always liked 'Rusty Goku', by SSJ4Kain. It wasn't fantastic, just... nice.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:52 pm

Dai wrote:*Cough*Projectdoomrider*Cough*
Point taken.

What's different about the project is that it's a collaboration among many individuals, done with the intention of showcasing not only the show, but the love of the creators FOR the show. Sure, this is something an individual can do on their own, but I think it's something special when a group of people can come together and do the same thing. I also think that's part of what is separating Doomrider from other AMV projects (like "Mission: Improbable" and "AniMix"). They're all really nice projects, and well put together... but other than showcasing the talents of multiple editors, they're not doing too much. Doomrider is doing that, but also combining a specific love for a specific show among people... and that's... well... like I said, it's special ^^.

I've seen the name SSJ4Kain before, but I have absolutely no idea who it is / what they've done beyond that... : /

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:39 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm hugely looking forward to Doomrider's completion, but I'm just a sucker for these sorts of things. 8)

SSJ4Kain was the webmaster of 'SSJ4Kain's Homepage' (Originality ensues), which was a pretty damn fine Dragon Ball webpage, despite what the name might suggest. SSJ4Kain also made Music Videos, and... Rusty Goku is my favourite among them. I can't really explain it better than SSJ4Kain's own description of the video. Like I said, it wasn't fantastic, but it has nostalgic meaning to me, and I still like it. :P
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:44 pm

My favorite video was "jc3" by Castor-Troy. It was Just Communication: Groove your soul Remix played to a melee of DBZ movie 6, Trunks vs Mecha Freeza and Goku gathering energy for the Genkidama against Kid Boo. Sweetness from the VCR+fansubs days. 8)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:26 am

I got a question that will most likely make you mad at me or call me a newbie of stuff but hey I gotta know. What does AMV mean and how do I get them?
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:54 am

AMV = Anime Music Video

I've been making them since 2000, but they go back as far as around 1982, I believe (Hey, as old as me!). All it takes is two VCRs and some free time. Now-a-days, most people do it all digitally.

The "point" of AMVs is to combine anime footage (that you edit together in any way you see fit) with any kind of music (generally American music, but there's no rule) to create some kind of story, theme, or simple narrative flow. Anime conventions all over the country hold AMV contests, which have grown to become HUGE, integral parts of the conventions, now!

*sheepishly* Currently, I've won a few major awards... ^^;;

You can download just about all of my videos over on the specific page for them here on the site; if you're a member on AnimeMusicVideos.org, you can also download them, there.

The point of THIS thread and section, however, is to discuss the Guide to DragonBall Music Videos, which is my "suggested reading," so to speak, for the world of DBZ AMVs ^^;;

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:45 pm

Hey EX,
How come you havn't made any rap ones? Or betta yet House Music like DJ Irene and so on. I think a rave would be nice how about you EX?
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:08 pm

I make videos with music I know; I don't listen to rap music (in fact, I'd rather slit my wrists than listen to rap music :P).

Part of what I do with videos is not only, ya' know, make music videos... but also spread the music scene I'm involved with. Punk rock is what I know, and what I enjoy working with.

Of course, if I ever got a really kick-ass rap idea, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:22 am

What about Eminem? :D

Seriously though, I'd love to see Linkin Park's "numb" AMVed so somebody 'hollah back yo!' if you know of any. I saw a good one for Fatal Fury 2 but it was over pixelated. Then I forgot the site. :cry:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

BoomerSooner

Post by BoomerSooner » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote: And yeah, I don't understand why it's so hard to find Cooler: Reloaded. It's as if DannyPoo just doesn't acknowledge its existence. It's not listed ANYWHERE on his site, and it's not listed on his AMVorg profile. I don't even remember how I found it. I think it was off of some link off of his message board, somewhere. It's got his name and his URL at the end... you'd think that, for something so cool, he'd want to put it out, more :P
It's not in his normal music video section, it's in Feature Z. Here's the link, and the download worked for me.^^

http://www.dbzwarriors.com/featurez.html

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:01 am

BoomerSooner wrote:It's not in his normal music video section, it's in Feature Z. Here's the link, and the download worked for me.^^

http://www.dbzwarriors.com/featurez.html
Sheesh, I never would have thought to look there. Not exactly a descriptive section name :P. Thought I clicked through them all, though... regardless, that site could use some work ^^;;

Thanks! I'll definitely add that into the pages when I get a chance.

mAcChaos

!

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:22 pm

What's the status on Project: Doomrider? Being a DBZ die-hard and one who still loves any kind of music video, I was ecstatic when I stumbled onto it. I wish you guys the best of luck.

ALSO:
The Cell music videos in that guide were nowhere to be find on animemusicvideos.org =\

Do you guys have it uploaded anywhere? I love Cell.

There's also the DBZ music video giant, majin-planet.net, but their music videos are a bit different than yours. Still, some of them are brilliant.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:47 pm

Doomrider is coming along... DokiDoki finished up his track (Ginyu Tokusentai), and I should be getting that HuffyUV in the mail soon. There's still a few people we're waiting on...

Lifehost doesn't have his videos uploaded anywhere right now, but I was talking with him just last week trying to convince him to upload them to the AMVorg servers... hopefully he'll come through with it. He's kinda outta the AMV scene right now (in fact, he's in Germany at the moment).

As for Majin Planet... well, I've seen some of their videos, and I've chosen not to include them in the guide... :roll:

mAcChaos

!

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:35 pm

Aw, c'mon. Majin Planet is the traditional 'rock' outlet for DBZ Music Videos, but their technical profiency is unparalleled. If you want an example, go look at the music video called "Unity". Unfortunately, I think their files are down right now, but they'll be back soon.

Thanks for the update. Would you be able to ever post a preview of any sort?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:54 pm

Other than screen-caps (which we've done before; check out this past "Ask VegettoEX"), no, there won't be any actual video previews. We kinda wanna go for a full-on, all-or-nothing approach with it :D.

And I'm sticking by what I said about their videos... ^^;;;;;;

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:02 pm

Awesome, thanks for the link.

We'll make a Majin out of you yet.

DBZ_Doomrider

Post by DBZ_Doomrider » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:02 am

Hey,

Project DOOMRIDER will be worth the wait. You will not make a majin out of me. Ever. Please help me feed me seahorse. Thanks for your time.

Ian.
Project DOOMRIDER: It's coming (very slowly)