MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/1/19!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/1/19!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 am

Gohan Doesn't Belong Here...? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 16!

Gohan steps into the ring (that isn't there anymore) to fight Cell. I also step into a metaphorical ring to examine Gohan's role in this story up to now, as well as the events over the course of Dragon Ball that have led to this moment. Also, some robot dies.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/1/19!)
Current Episode: Gohan Doesn't Belong Here...? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 16!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:49 am

jesus it's been a while since i've read this portion of the arc, i forgot how ugly about to blow up cell is, lmao. anyway loved it was really looking forward too this one, loved your take on the gohan stuff.
they/them pronouns

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Good episode overall, very insightful on all the Gohan stuff.

While I can see why you're not particularly moved about the 16 sutff, one thing that surprised me was that you didn't bing up Mr. Satan's roll in getting the head there.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:09 pm

It took 7 years for Goku to meet Goten and he still hugged him before Vegeta hugged Kid Trunks. Always thought that was funny.

Though Toriyama himself as criticized Goku as a father, so I guess it's just part of his character.

For me, Gohan transforming after someone dying is just a repeat of Goku going Super Saiyan in the previous arc.

P.S I still believe Toriyama brought back 2nd Form Cell to kill the main character as a fuck you to everyone who hated that form.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:02 pm

I said this in a quick comment on your video, Lance, but I never really liked how Team Four Star played Gohan's turn into Super Saiyan 2; that it was him being too much of a pansy as opposed to him being pressured into doing something that has never come naturally to him. The whole message also felt weirdly political, to which KaiserNeko was even surprised for some reason when people on Twitter pointed it out after the episode dropped. Your video & your pointing out of the stupidity of the fandom in some places & the intended meaning behind the plot points reminded me of it & I just wanted to say this. Maybe get a conversation with someone else out of it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:23 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:14 pm
While I can see why you're not particularly moved about the 16 sutff, one thing that surprised me was that you didn't bing up Mr. Satan's roll in getting the head there.
It is something I plan to bring up later. This script was so tightly focused on Gohan it did not flow at all to shift gears to Mr. Satan's character development, and, as I said in The Making of Dragon Ball Dissection, I never like to bring something up just for the sake of synopsis if I'm going to incorporate it into a more cohesive discussion when it's more relevant.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 7/1/19!)
Current Episode: Gohan Doesn't Belong Here...? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 16!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Talking about 16's death in part 16 does feel appropriate.

Also, jeez, I had almost forgotten how long this whole arc is until I noticed that number. I wonder how often inconsistent moments in the arc were just down to Toriyama having forgotten something he did in the nearly two years it took to get through it.

Great video as always! And looking forward to the Movie 8 episode next. A nice little shakeup before the Cell Arc wraps.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:23 pm
jcogginsa wrote:
It is something I plan to bring up later. This script was so tightly focused on Gohan it did not flow at all to shift gears to Mr. Satan's character development, and, as I said in The Making of Dragon Ball Dissection, I never like to bring something up just for the sake of synopsis if I'm going to incorporate it into a more cohesive discussion when it's more relevant.
Fair enough, that makes a lot of sense

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am

I always liked the theory that Toriyama made Cell revert to his second form to perform his most plot relevant act (killing Goku) to play a joke on his former editor who said that design looked stupid. Especially since Toriyama then makes Cell look like even more of a moron by bloating him up.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 am

Big thank you for affirming something I've always been saying regarding Gohan being OOC here: there's a huge difference between spontaneously flying off the handle and then being thrown out there and expected to engineer it to save everybody's lives.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:23 pm
jcogginsa wrote:
Will there be more commentary on SSJ2 in a future episode then?

I enjoyed this one quite a bit - and agreed with far more of it than I would've guessed from the title :wink: But I do think there's one more factor in Gohan's reluctance to get involved beyond the pressure. IIRC, Gohan explicitly tells Cell that, whenever he does let loose his potential, he isn't able to control himself. To me, his attitude when mentioning that is a pretty big tell - Gohan doesn't like snapping, and is afraid to do so deliberately. With reason, going by the aftermath.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:51 am

What I find funny is Gohan not wanting to fight is the fact that he trained for it. Granted, I don't think he expected to be thrown in a the fight by Goku like that, but I under what what he was expecting.
RandomGuy96 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am
I always liked the theory that Toriyama made Cell revert to his second form to perform his most plot relevant act (killing Goku) to play a joke on his former editor who said that design looked stupid. Especially since Toriyama then makes Cell look like even more of a moron by bloating him up.
It's just so Toriyama-like that I would be surprised if this wasn't the case.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.