MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/19!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/5/19!)

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:32 pm
I've been doing the poster in the background for the movies since Z movie 5, as well as putting the intro image as the background for DBD TV for the past couple of years. Primarily, especially since I was mostly working with 4:3 images in a 16:9 window, I felt it was more visually interesting. Now that I'm using Dragon Box movie footage for the first time... well, I still thought it looked more visually interesting.
yeah i for sure do like it visually especially because i love a good majority of the movie posters (i bought a poster of movie 2's recently even), i guess i just didn't notice for movies 5 and 6 because their posters colors are a lot cooler, rather than the harsh red on 7 and 8.
they/them pronouns
my twitter
14 year old me didn't know how to spell "Saiya"......

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/5/19!)

Post by Scsigs » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:06 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:32 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm
Speaking off, you ever sample the dub of the movie? To me, it's like a proto-Kai dub since it's faithful in its translation, but playful. It's probably one of my favorite pre-Kai DB dubs. If not, I'd at least recommend it out of mild curiosity. Though the acting isn't 100% what these actors would be capable of, it's WAY better than Z's dub by a mile.

Nope. I've never watched it. I certainly got several new people in my comments yesterday surprised that I didn't mention anything about Pantera, though. =P
I mean, I never watch dubs with replacement scores if available, so I don't care for the Pantera music either.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Skar
Regular
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/5/19!)

Post by Skar » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:40 pm

Sorry for your loss Gaffer Tape. I don't have Twitter so I could reply there when I saw the news. I hope you're doing ok.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/5/19!)

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:42 pm

Honestly, Lance, don't force yourself to do episodes of your dissection series if it'll be too soon for you. Let yourself take it in & relax. Heal yourself before continuing what needs your full passion, as I imagine this is largely a passion project of yours.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5869
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am

Goku Attracts Bad Guys? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 17!

Cell destroys himself, but he's bad at it, so Gohan has to destroy him too. Afterwards, the gang use the Dragon Balls for a hard rest, but Goku no longer approves of the status quo. Are his reasons thoughtful and thematically appropriate, or is it all just a big mess?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 12/4/19!)
Current Episode: The Collapse of DBZ's Animation and Pacing - DBD TV: The Freeza Arc Part 2!

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:04 pm

I agree that Goku's excuse of attracting bad guys is a flimsy one. Indeed, he makes everything safer, he pacifies and domesticates his enemies, making them less threatening, and by extension, less challenging. That's exactly why running away to fight dead people is his only way to stay engaged and grow, at this point. Vegeta's stab at moving beyond Super Saiyan shows how effective he is as a rival at this point, and Gohan earned his retirement (though, as we find in the next arc, the Afterlife was ultimately not the golden goose he'd hoped it was).

All of which tracks with the "Goku's ennui" reading. A reading which, from Toriyama's comments about "elements of poison slipping in between the cracks", seems to be at least in part intended, and, indeed, intended as something that is largely subtext. Unless there's a compelling alternative explanation for what he meant with that comment.

Tenshinhan's comment at the end, I think, pretty clearly conveys that he'd ultimately only been hanging around for as long as he had on the faint hope of getting another go at Goku. Vegeta's certainly does.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:24 pm

yeah the goku stuff is kind of a huge mess, but i really like the ending as a whole, especially in the anime, it's just a nice and pleasant ending for a arc that was so serious. plus, vegeta in that baggy sweater and gohan in a suit ? adorable.

i actually made note of that yamucha and trunks interaction when i watched that part in the anime earlier this week, it's very little but i liked it a lot, glad you mentioned it.

i wonder if tenshinhan's comment at the end was just toriyama trying to retire the character ? i don't think he sees kuririn and yamucha again for the rest of the series, so his statement was about half true, lol.
they/them pronouns
my twitter
14 year old me didn't know how to spell "Saiya"......

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:25 pm

I agree with something Lanipator said a few years ago in one of the TFS Gaming streams. That being that every villain in Z, except Buu, are on Earth because of Goku. But, every other villain in the franchise up until then isn't. Even Super & GT have more villains that are there because of Goku than the main manga's story. Hell, the last arc of GT is centered around that premise due to the Dragon Balls releasing their stored negative energy & creating the Shadow Dragons from all of their wishes. Toriyama was REALLY stretching for reasons for Goku to stay dead. You can tell he was starting to run on fumes by this point into the manga if he couldn't put together the pieces he made through the arc. No fucks given was Toriyama by this point, which is reflected in the Buu Saga definitely.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Rory
I Live Here
Posts: 2669
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Rory » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:24 pm
i wonder if tenshinhan's comment at the end was just toriyama trying to retire the character ? i don't think he sees kuririn and yamucha again for the rest of the series, so his statement was about half true, lol.
I was also thinking this, Toriyama trying to make Ten bow out 'with grace'? Which makes it all the more baffling that he returns for a pointless cameo in the Boo arc.
But seriously, these people are his friends, he's never really made it seem like he only wants to see them if they're fighting/competing. He can also cross the globe without much problem.
He really has no reason to make this kind of declaration.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20560
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 am

Scsigs wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:25 pm
I agree with something Lanipator said a few years ago in one of the TFS Gaming streams. That being that every villain in Z, except Buu, are on Earth because of Goku. But, every other villain in the franchise up until then isn't. Even Super & GT have more villains that are there because of Goku than the main manga's story. Hell, the last arc of GT is centered around that premise due to the Dragon Balls releasing their stored negative energy & creating the Shadow Dragons from all of their wishes. Toriyama was REALLY stretching for reasons for Goku to stay dead. You can tell he was starting to run on fumes by this point into the manga if he couldn't put together the pieces he made through the arc. No fucks given was Toriyama by this point, which is reflected in the Buu Saga definitely.
Toriyama openly admitted that while he was writing the Majin Boo arc he had grown tired of drawing and writing battle shonen manga. He was absolutely burned out when the Majin Boo went into full swing and it shows narratively and aesthetically. But I do think Toriyama's more sloppy side of storytelling was creeping in by the conclusion of the the Freeza arc.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:09 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 am
Toriyama openly admitted that while he was writing the Majin Boo arc he had grown tired of drawing and writing battle shonen manga. He was absolutely burned out when the Majin Boo went into full swing and it shows narratively and aesthetically. But I do think Toriyama's more sloppy side of storytelling was creeping in by the conclusion of the the Freeza arc.
I can see your point, but at least Toriyama seemed to still take things seriously in both arcs. The Buu Saga's where he REALLY stopped giving a fuck about narrative cohesion & storytelling, at least after the arc enters its full swing. After Buu himself is introduced, the arc starts slipping REALLY hard & shit starts happening just for the sake of it, as if Toriyama had a ton of different ideas of what he wanted to do, but didn't just wanna decide on the ones that made the most narrative sense, so he did all of them in a completely arbitrary order of his choosing. At least, that's what it feels like in that arc. The 2 conflicting tones of seriousness & out there comedy don't help either, since that arc has a TON of mood whiplash.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20560
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:18 am

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:09 am
Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 am
Toriyama openly admitted that while he was writing the Majin Boo arc he had grown tired of drawing and writing battle shonen manga. He was absolutely burned out when the Majin Boo went into full swing and it shows narratively and aesthetically. But I do think Toriyama's more sloppy side of storytelling was creeping in by the conclusion of the the Freeza arc.
I can see your point, but at least Toriyama seemed to still take things seriously in both arcs. The Buu Saga's where he REALLY stopped giving a fuck about narrative cohesion & storytelling, at least after the arc enters its full swing. After Buu himself is introduced, the arc starts slipping REALLY hard & shit starts happening just for the sake of it, as if Toriyama had a ton of different ideas of what he wanted to do, but didn't just wanna decide on the ones that made the most narrative sense, so he did all of them in a completely arbitrary order of his choosing. At least, that's what it feels like in that arc. The 2 conflicting tones of seriousness & out there comedy don't help either, since that arc has a TON of mood whiplash.
Yeah, the Majin Boo arc has some MAJOR storytelling issues, but I still think the good outweighs the bad of the arc, if not by much. But that's mainly taking into consideration the anime version of the arc. The manga version of the arc is awful.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8793
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 pm

The best sign that Goku's reasoning was nonsensical comes in the arc itself: Goku was dead in the future timeline, yet Gero still released his androids.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3944
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 pm
The best sign that Goku's reasoning was nonsensical comes in the arc itself: Goku was dead in the future timeline, yet Gero still released his androids.
I agree with what your overall point, but in that scenario did Gero even know Goku was dead?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5869
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:59 am

It isn't exactly Dragon Ball Dissection, but I did put out a video discussing Dragon Ball Z season 3 in the U.S., as we've reached its 20th anniversary, and it's one of the more infamous turning points in dubbed DB history. It's in a similar vein to the video I made last year about my favorite edits from seasons 1 and 2.

20 Years Since Toonami's Z-Day! 10 Things You Need to Know About DBZ Season 3
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 12/4/19!)
Current Episode: The Collapse of DBZ's Animation and Pacing - DBD TV: The Freeza Arc Part 2!

User avatar
TheBigBoy
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:18 am

Another great video. I don't have much to say as I was there too in 1999 and you pretty much covered everything. I have a really vivid memory of my friend buying the first two uncut tapes from Suncoast. I remember we gathered around the TV and threw up a cheer when we saw Vegeta's blood-caked face then let out an audible groan once everyone (especially Kuririn) started talking. It's wild how...amateurish the whole production comes off. Dragon Ball really was Funi's golden goose and they had (have?) no idea how to take care of it and it still keeps popping out golden eggs.

It is really weird that Sabat's Yamcha* in the Sleeping Princess movie is a perfectly fine voice then he decides it would be a better fit if he talked like a Ninja Turtle when he first voices him in Z.

*His Yamcha in general is probably his best voice. Is that a controversial opinion?

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:18 pm

yeah, i really like these sorta retrospective type videos, especially on this topic because season 3 really just fascinates me, with just how low quality it is and how, not really elusive, but how it isn't widely available, it's just super interesting too me. it feels like a bad fansub that like 10 people made in some basement, just such a weird feel to it, too me at least of course.

also really nice hair, i'm pretty jealous, lol.
they/them pronouns
my twitter
14 year old me didn't know how to spell "Saiya"......

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:28 pm

What if there was a Rock the Dragon style re-release of the original season 3 dub? Would people buy that? I was just thinking of how they could probably call it something like “The Mondo Cool Collection” or whatever.

Edit: Then again, I just remembered that the “mondo cool” line was kept in the remastered dub, which is weird because both Sonny Strait and Chris Sabat were redubbing all their lines at around that point. You’d think that would’ve given them the perfect opportunity to get rid of that line.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by coola » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:09 pm

DB Movie 2 was first work with Funimation in house cast? The more you know...Both Bulma and Yamcha sounded good there, so what happened in Season 3? Seems like Funimation philosophy "Doing good on one DB release, screw up next one" was implemented from very beginning :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:59 pm

coola wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:09 pm
DB Movie 2 was first work with Funimation in house cast? The more you know...Both Bulma and Yamcha sounded good there, so what happened in Season 3? Seems like Funimation philosophy "Doing good on one DB release, screw up next one" was implemented from very beginning :)
Movie 2's dub was more of a test dub, I believe. Hence why a LOT of the cast members from that dub didn't stick around. Out of all of them, only 3 cast members; Sabat, McFarland, & Jackson, were the only ones to return in future dubs of the franchise as permanent cast members. Some returned only in one or a few other things, but nothing permanent. When it came to dubbing the show, I don't think Sabat either thought he was going to voice the character, or he just decided to do something different for Z for whatever reason he had. Thankfully, his Yamcha is WAY better nowadays since the early Z days & he lost the surfer dude accent.

When it comes to their releases, I know you're probably joking, but that's a pretty low way of looking at their DB releases, since only Z has had any consistently bad reviews out of the 4 shows & the movies. Sure, not a lot of their releases for DB have been perfect, but they're at least good, minus most of the Z releases, as I said.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Post Reply