MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 6/8/20!)

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:24 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:18 pm
Are you FunkDoc1112 on YouTube?
Correct!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:56 am

I have a lot of issues with the Boo arc, but the Ma Junior thing never bothered me until you pointed out how ridiculous it was.

That aside, your videos are helping reinforce my longstanding belief that the series peaked at the Freeza arc, and everything that came after gradually decreased in quality until we got to Boo, which was an absolute clusterfuck. Parts of the Cell and Boo arcs are still enjoyable, but I simply can't overlook the multitude of plot inconsistencies and scenes of characters acting like complete morons just to further the story.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 am

*In retrospect I'm a bit surprised how little attention Piccolo's hilariously awful disguise gets, too. I guess the line is brushed by so fast it doesn't have time to really sink in, or it might be part of Piccolo being locked in by the fanbase as "the smart one" even if he often fails to live up to it...
I did notice on my last re-read how weirdly casual the announcer is about him, though.
*Yeah, I'm with FoolsGil; don't really like the weird borderline retcon the world undergoes later in the series.
*I'm actually very curious on your thoughts about Kaioshin when he appears--I recall he was rather polarizing for a bit (and I don't just mean the incessant Battle Power debates).
*I do love your idea that the punching machine was part of an intentional effort to keep Mr. Satan on top. I'd never thought of that but it would make sense.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:21 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:18 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 pm The dub definitely had the alias as “Majunior”
The DB dub? My DVDs are still in a box, so I can't check. I could have sworn they just called him Junior.
Z dub,my mistake. DB dub was Junior, yes.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/6/20!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am

Trunks: Extreme '90s Attitude - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 5!

Dragon Ball Dissection continues with the Junior Division of the tournament. Trunks and Goten get to show what they're all about, and it's a part of the series I really enjoy. Since Trunks takes center stage, we look at what makes Trunks distinct from other Dragon Ball characters in general, and how this new Trunks serves as a stark contrast to his predecessor. Let me know what you think!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:58 am

Present Trunks seems to have pretty much lost all his attitude that he had as an 8 year old by Super. It’s weird because you’d think he would’ve gotten even more attitude once he became a tween/teen, but Super has just been painting him as this naive kid who wants to impress Mai.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:57 pm

I prefer Buu arc Trunks; he actually has a a personality.

Not only is Vegeta undefeated against Goku, but his son is undefeated against Goku's son. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 am

Kid Buu wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:57 pm I prefer Buu arc Trunks; he actually has a a personality.

Not only is Vegeta undefeated against Goku, but his son is undefeated against Goku's son. :lol:
Future Trunks has a personality. It's just more reserved & different from main timeline Trunks'.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:19 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 am
Kid Buu wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:57 pm I prefer Buu arc Trunks; he actually has a a personality.

Future Trunks has a personality. It's just more reserved & different from main timeline Trunks'.
He's also far less annoying and obnoxious than Kid Trunks, and is actually competent lmao (Kid/Present timeline Trunks has never actually won a serious fight, not even in GT)

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:04 am

Future Gohan tooled Future Trunks in sparring.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:25 pm

That's true. Possibly count Goku beating Bebi Vegeta GT too.
Sadala Elite wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:19 am

He's also far less annoying and obnoxious than Kid Trunks, and is actually competent lmao (Kid/Present timeline Trunks has never actually won a serious fight, not even in GT)
Until he goes back to his timeline Trunks is useless. Only thing he does is give Goku the medicine but anyone could have done that.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:25 pm Until he goes back to his timeline Trunks is useless. Only thing he does is give Goku the medicine but anyone could have done that.
Killing someone like Freeza was a big deal, as he was the main villain of the story at the time.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:25 pm That's true. Possibly count Goku beating Bebi Vegeta GT too.
Sadala Elite wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:19 am
Until he goes back to his timeline Trunks is useless. Only thing he does is give Goku the medicine but anyone could have done that.
So was everyone else in the Android arc except Gohan.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Don't you mean Bulma? :lol:

One shotting Freeza wasnt too big of a deal since Goku would have just done it anyways.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Wow I never made the correlation between Future Trunks and Supreme Kai! That actually explains a lot from both (and I dread using the terms) an “in universe” and “out of universe” perspective.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:52 am

Kid Buu wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:58 pm Don't you mean Bulma? :lol:

One shotting Freeza wasnt too big of a deal since Goku would have just done it anyways.
Yeah, her too lmao.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/3/20!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:17 am

Overloading on Gods - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 6!

The next episode is up, and it's one that was both extremely difficult and extremely satisfying to write! I honestly did not expect this to be its own episode. But, pardon the pun, Good Lord, how I've wanted to tear into Dragon Ball's increasingly arbitrary god hierarchy for awhile. And it all comes to a head here where four new gods are introduced and glossed over at the same time!!!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 am

Good work as usual Gaffer Tape.

On the Krillin v Tenshinhan debate...We shouldn't have ever expected much from the writers. Power Levels are BS, absurd, and characters will only be as strong as they need to, which is how Tenshinhan's Shin Kikoho against SP Cell was possible, when much earlier he was choked out and beaten by Android 17, a far weaker foe.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 am

I really liked the part about DB being built on escalation, and how the more you escalate, the less room you have to move forward. This is exactly what's wrong with trying to continue a story like DB indefinitely, as we're currently seeing with modern DB. You can only escalate so much before it stops making sense, as Toriyama himself even said one of the reasons he ended the manga was because he didn't believe there was any way Goku could get stronger in a logical way. I think he found a successful way around that in BOG, but when you introduce concepts called "God of Destruction" and "Super Saiyan God", that's when you know it's time to call it a day.

In terms of Tien and Krillin, I think Yamcha's comment was more of a way to calm his daughter down rather than it being factually correct. That's not to say it's wrong or can't happen, I just personally don't think he is based on what we've seen in the story up to that point and even after when Tien attacked Buu.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:43 pm

Didn't Toriyama himself say Krillin was the strongest?