MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/19/21!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:51 am

Well, I hate to interrupt this discussion on Super Saiyan 3, but it's new DBD time!

Dragon Ball's Greatest Friendship - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 19!

I'm going to go ahead and give it all away: this is probably my favorite part of this storyline. We get a villain with a personality who develops more than just his looks or his power. We get a one-note gag character who grows beyond his original characterization. We get funny jokes mixed with high stakes drama. Whoo, this is great!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:59 am

As a kid I always hated Satan, but if there was anything that made me turn around on the idea of him, it was his slow, hilarious, and unintentional reform of Buu.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:08 am

Thank you so much for going into phenomenal detail about the dynamic between Majin Boo and Mr Satan.

I honestly think the section where Mr Satan and Majin Boo interact isn't just the best-written part of the Majin Boo arc, but some of the best storytelling of the entire series. Not just because it feels so genuine, but it also never overstays its welcome in the plot and doesn't become too indulgent in its sentimentality. A lot of other shonen manga and anime would have taken a similar scenario and cranked up the melodrama and sincerity of it to unbearable levels. *cough* One Piece *cough* But Toriyama restrained himself and it made for the character development between Mr Satan and Majin Boo all the more organic and believable.

And, as an added bonus, the series in-universe itself acknowledges the importance of Mr Satan and Majin Boo bonding when Piccolo tells Videl about how Mr Satan is a true champion despite not being able to match any of the main cast in raw strength. And honestly, that statement from Piccolo for me is the most poignant and powerful statement in the entirety of Dragon Ball, because it reaffirms two core themes of the series: raw strength isn't the sole significant factor in a conflict and one person can truly make a significant difference in the world.

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Sorry to make like 50 million comments on this video (I tend to do this for a lot of your Dragon Ball videos), but this was a collection of chapters that I've been waiting for you to cover for a long time. Even as a kid I liked the scene in the anime where Satan beats the shit out of the asshole gunman (who I think they called Van Zant in the dub?), even to this day I get weirdly emotional when the gag heavy Mr. Satan fights for someone other than his personal glory, that I sometimes start crying physical actual tears. I'm such a dork.

I even gave a Like to this video, not that I didn't like any of your previous videos, it's just that this episode was so good, it compelled me to like your video for the first time.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 am

Yeah, this is definitely the emotional peak of the Buu arc, so much so that the Gotenks vs. Buu fight, which would have been the emotional peak (or at least the start of it) in a more conventional Dragon Ball (Z) story, ends up serving as a comedic breather (in hindsight it reads like another subversion on Toriyama's part, but was probably just pure happenstance at the time).

In these chapters, Toriyama humanizes Buu in a way he typically only starts doing for villains once they're no longer the main villains (and in Piccolo and Vegeta's cases, after they've been killed and reincarnated/resurrected). In contrast, it's new for Toriyama to do this with the main villain while they're still the main villain, but Buu's personality lends itself to this better than the likes of Freeza and Cell, who I couldn't picture Toriyama trying something like this with in the midst of their respective villain runs due to being very different characters featured in arcs that are tonally very different from the Buu arc. It helps that Buu has more going on as a character to work off of (ironic considering how simple-minded and hedonistic he is), at least more than the previous arc villain did.

Plus the way he humanizes Mr.Satan as well. Turning such an irritating blowhard into a genuinely good person so organically to the point where to me, it comes off as kinda petty to still hate the character for his actions in the Cell arc after this.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/16/21!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:00 am

The Complexity of Majin Boo - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 20!

Majin Boo gets a spiffy new face. And then another one. Transforming villains have returned. We all know how I feel about that. But we just came off of a big character moment. Is that able to salvage this? Well, yes. Yes, it is.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:42 am

It is shame what they did with Goten, Chi-Chi's death could be catalyst for his growth as character, maybe make him more like Future Trunks? But no, after few days, he is back to half of Gotenks and Trunks lackey...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:51 am

Super Buu is creepy as fuck. He reminds me of a slasher movie villain.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:03 pm

I like to head canon that Buu's splitting occurs the same way that Piccolo and Kami splitting worked

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:58 pm

Another thing you left out (probably because it's just a small moment in time) but I do like the small conversation that Piccolo has with Videl, when she asks why he was using her dad's name when trying to stall Boo. Piccolo, the one who was critical about Satan when he first tried to "kill" Boo is now telling Videl how he may not be the strongest fighter in the world, but his actions in trying to befriend Boo, and almost saving the world make him worthy of the title World Champion.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:00 am The Complexity of Majin Boo - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 20!

Majin Boo gets a spiffy new face. And then another one. Transforming villains have returned. We all know how I feel about that. But we just came off of a big character moment. Is that able to salvage this? Well, yes. Yes, it is.
viewtopic.php?t=31572

Well, guess it’s time to brag about how six years ago, I said that out of Freeza, Cell, and Buu, the latter had the best transformations. :D

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:07 pm
Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:00 am The Complexity of Majin Boo - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 20!

viewtopic.php?t=31572

Well, guess it’s time to brag about how six years ago, I said that out of Freeza, Cell, and Buu, the latter had the best transformations. :D
Yes! I had to scroll down to see if I had engaged in that debate. Sadly, I had not. Don't know if I missed the topic, or if I was just doing my best to play my cards close to my chest so I didn't spoil future DBD episodes!

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:28 pm

Also, this has nothing to do with your series itself, but whenever there's a new episode, I find myself eating some sort of Mexican food for lunch. Today, it was chimichangas.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:33 am

Brilliant as always Gaffer! My thoughts:

I've always preferred Super Buu (and Kid Buu) to Fat Buu, mainly because I like villain characters and he's more of an outright villain than Fat Buu was (I still like Fat Buu though). I like how those core Buu traits that Fat Buu displayed have now been twisted with him. His hedonism now manifests as an impatient demand for instant gratification, he no longer has a happy mode for his mood swings (replaced with being detached and creepy), and his silliness now primarily manifests when he's mocking his opponents (until the absorptions begin, more on that later). On that note, even his instant killing of the remainder of Earth's population feels like a low-key gag with a set up and then subversion of expectations as the punch line.

And I still like him when he starts absorbing people too. Yeah, he becomes more like Freeza and Cell in personality, but I view it more as Buu coming into his full potential as a fighter (which calls back to what you noted earlier about Buu starting to recognize his own worth shortly before fighting Goku). To me, these absorption forms represent what Buu is like when he approaches fighting as seriously as Goku and Vegeta do and not just as a hedonistic pleasure or something to do to people he doesn't like. And even "Buuhan" celebrates like a silly child both times he thinks he's beaten Vegetto, so the goofy manchild that Buu is at heart is still there even in that state, just hidden underneath all the Freeza/Cell-like bluster he gained through those absorptions. Plus he looks cool with the super long head tentacle and more human-like facial features.

Lastly, ditto on Piccolo's role here being the best use of him in quite a while. People who complain about him not fighting anymore are flat out ignoring how skillfully he's used in this part of the arc, both as the de-facto leader of the group that has to treat with Buu and as a mentor figure/straight man to Gotenks later. Plus I like how even though Dende is officially God of Earth now, the dynamic we saw earlier with him deferring to Piccolo for godly decisions is still in play here with Piccolo being the one to take the reigns in negotiating with Buu instead of Dende. It's almost like he's stepped back into his old job as the God of Earth, but as the complete being he originally was before his good side took the position after casting out his evil side. Seeing Piccolo act in this capacity is a nice subtle way to bring his character arc full circle.

DBTurnip

Post by DBTurnip » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:46 pm

I know it feels like out-of nowhere as a reply, but in all honesty, I don't mind MistareFusion, despite that I really hated his rant in the Father of Goku video, dismissing anything resembling to a team for the main characters. Also, not fan of his unsubtle digs against DBS, especially RF and ToP.

At least, he's not TotallyNotMark, who's obsessed with Dragon Ball Super's Episode 5 (original airing) and that FUCKING pic of ugly Goku, and when criticized when he uses it WAY TOO MUCH, mocks the criticism and go even MORE annoying. I unsubscribed when he went there. At least, I just disagree with some of Mistare's takes, I don't OUTRIGHT find him annoying and even jerkass.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:33 pm

DBTurnip wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:46 pmdespite that I really hated his rant in the Father of Goku video, dismissing anything resembling to a team for the main characters.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, though. Are these two separate complaints or one? What rant in the Bardock Special? What dismissal?

DBTurnip

Post by DBTurnip » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:44 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:33 pm
DBTurnip wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:46 pmdespite that I really hated his rant in the Father of Goku video, dismissing anything resembling to a team for the main characters.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, though. Are these two separate complaints or one? What rant in the Bardock Special? What dismissal?
Y'know, the whole "Z-Fighters/Dragon Team" thing?

I kinda like it as a out-of-universe branding. The problem is that you kinda almost meant that there is NO team whatsoever.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 am

Anime Filler Saved Vegeta - DBD TV: The Cell Arc Part 1

DBD TV returns with a look at The Cell Arc! It's definitely the kinds of things I really enjoy talking about. Vegeta is handled so much better here than in the original manga. There are a surprising number of similar, recurring filler ideas. And my favorite: Goku's house, which just makes no consistent sense in the anime. Enjoy!
DBTurnip wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:44 pm I kinda like it as a out-of-universe branding. The problem is that you kinda almost meant that there is NO team whatsoever.
Ah, see, I was confused because I talked about the Z-Warrior thing in one of my Freeza Arc videos, not the Bardock video. Anyway, that's just a difference of opinion. I can't really mollify you on that, I'm afraid. It's something I feel very strongly about and am not going to pretend otherwise. I'm not sure what you mean about me claiming there's "no team whatsoever." I didn't say that. In fact, I presented what I consider a far better name, which predates that one by years, and was probably created by Toriyama himself.

DBTurnip

Post by DBTurnip » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 am Anime Filler Saved Vegeta - DBD TV: The Cell Arc Part 1

DBD TV returns with a look at The Cell Arc! It's definitely the kinds of things I really enjoy talking about. Vegeta is handled so much better here than in the original manga. There are a surprising number of similar, recurring filler ideas. And my favorite: Goku's house, which just makes no consistent sense in the anime. Enjoy!
DBTurnip wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:44 pm I kinda like it as a out-of-universe branding. The problem is that you kinda almost meant that there is NO team whatsoever.
Ah, see, I was confused because I talked about the Z-Warrior thing in one of my Freeza Arc videos, not the Bardock video. Anyway, that's just a difference of opinion. I can't really mollify you on that, I'm afraid. It's something I feel very strongly about and am not going to pretend otherwise. I'm not sure what you mean about me claiming there's "no team whatsoever." I didn't say that. In fact, I presented what I consider a far better name, which predates that one by years, and was probably created by Toriyama himself.
Dragon Team?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:22 pm

DBTurnip wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am Dragon Team?
Yeah, that's the one!