MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/12/20!)

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:02 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:29 am I wish you would’ve covered Spopovich’s death, but it looks like that’s for next time. That was a moment that really weirded me out when I watched it as a kid.
I always thought Spopvich and Dabura could have been the same character. Would have helped build up Gohana fight with him more, instead of just killing Spopivich off so fast.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:49 am
Mad Swami wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:41 amI am also excited for the rock paper scissors arc you've built to come to an end lol
It was also played between Goku and Vegeta to decide who'd fight kid buu first.
Your right...the saga continues

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:34 am

I would love a DBTV about Dragonball Evolution. The movie is horrible and is honestly my least favorite film. However, its existence is surprisingly important to DB as a franchise and I would be interested to see a video on it.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:05 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:34 am I would love a DBTV about Dragonball Evolution. The movie is horrible and is honestly my least favorite film. However, its existence is surprisingly important to DB as a franchise and I would be interested to see a video on it.
Yeah. Without it, Battle of Gods wouldn't have happened

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 11/9/20!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:07 am

Son or Clone? (The Power of Retcons) - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 9!

This episode brings me somewhere I didn't expect to go. The last installment brought me questions in the comments asking whether or not Bobbidi was actually Bibbidi's son. I was not expecting that, and the rabbit hole I went down to explore that brought me to completely different places.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Toriyama has made a number of retcons and retroactive additions to the story over the years, but out of all them, the idea that Babidi is a clone seems like the most pointless.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:09 am

Oh hey, one of my comments made it into a DBD video. I may as well just quit graduate school. Clearly, my life has peaked.

Seriously though, I really don't like Death Battle. You'd notice it more if you hang out in "who would win" communities as I do, but they're constantly spreading outright falsehoods with an inflated, unearned sense of authority. The only reason it's not more annoying is that "who would win" conversations are possibly the most trivial thing in the world.

I don't view it as odd that they'd cause misinformation to spread relatively far, though, even in the form of an offhand comment like the supposed Babidi mistranslation. Their videos are popular and well-edited, giving them an air of subconscious legitimacy, and you're not working with a very big sample size of people who believe in that misconception.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:09 am Oh hey, one of my comments made it into a DBD video. I may as well just quit graduate school. Clearly, my life has peaked.
I was hoping you'd like that. ;-)
Seriously though, I really don't like Death Battle. You'd notice it more if you hang out in "who would win" communities as I do, but they're constantly spreading outright falsehoods with an inflated, unearned sense of authority. The only reason it's not more annoying is that "who would win" conversations are possibly the most trivial thing in the world.

I don't view it as odd that they'd cause misinformation to spread relatively far, though, even in the form of an offhand comment like the supposed Babidi mistranslation. Their videos are popular and well-edited, giving them an air of subconscious legitimacy, and you're not working with a very big sample size of people who believe in that misconception.
If this video has taught me anything, it's that I'm apparently the only person in the world who had barely thought of Death Battle prior to a month ago. I had to be reminded that they were those people who came to these forums years ago for info to make their Goku vs. Superman video. So I went from, "I've never heard of this before" to, "Oh, right. I forgot they existed." I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of YouTube. =P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:05 pm

All the online hype in preparation for the Goku and Superman video was the first time I had heard of Death Battle. Back then, I was slightly annoyed by “who would win” debates, but I was interested enough to watch the Goku vs. Superman video for myself. I do remember being satisfied that they had Superman come out on top, if only because I was tired of all the “DBZ characters>>>>>all other fictional characters!” threads that would always pop up on forums.

Anyway, it’s funny to note that they made a second Goku vs. Superman video, after the introductions of Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue, where Superman once again comes out on top, and that video was arguably even more controversial than the first. People really take their vs. debates seriously when it comes to Dragon Ball characters.

RobertDaDon
Banned Alternate Account

Post by RobertDaDon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:40 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:05 pm All the online hype in preparation for the Goku and Superman video was the first time I had heard of Death Battle. Back then, I was slightly annoyed by “who would win” debates, but I was interested enough to watch the Goku vs. Superman video for myself. I do remember being satisfied that they had Superman come out on top, if only because I was tired of all the “DBZ characters>>>>>all other fictional characters!” threads that would always pop up on forums.

Anyway, it’s funny to note that they made a second Goku vs. Superman video, after the introductions of Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue, where Superman once again comes out on top, and that video was arguably even more controversial than the first. People really take their vs. debates seriously when it comes to Dragon Ball characters.
I think the controversy over their Superman vs Goku videos wasn't that Supes won (which even many SB fans expected) but rather it was the bad research and misinformation they used for the videos.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 am

Maybe Baibidi is Bibidi's clone/son in a similar way to Ma Junior and Daimao?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 am Maybe Baibidi is Bibidi's clone/son in a similar way to Ma Junior and Daimao?
Can't be, Babidi and Bibidi existed at the same time. Daimao and his son share a soul.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:23 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:35 pm
Kid Buu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 am Maybe Baibidi is Bibidi's clone/son in a similar way to Ma Junior and Daimao?
Can't be, Babidi and Bibidi existed at the same time. Daimao and his son share a soul.
Did they? Was that in the comic or from a Toriyama interview?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:33 am

Kid Buu wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:23 pm Did they? Was that in the comic or from a Toriyama interview?
It's not stated so directly, but it is something of a necessary extrapolation. If Bibbidi created doppelgängers, and he did so in order to carry out tasks he couldn't do alone, both of which Toriyama says, then he most likely would have had to have been alive to be able to do so and to have reason to do so.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Yeah I went back and reread that part and I see what you and Random mean.

Don't really like the concept but if Toriyama says it.... :roll:

Kinda wonder how the fandom would react if Toriyama said something that blatently contradict a major storyline event, like Piccolo beating Goku in the 23rd Budokai and then just calling it a day. Would people accept it?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:00 pmKinda wonder how the fandom would react if Toriyama said something that blatently contradict a major storyline event, like Piccolo beating Goku in the 23rd Budokai and then just calling it a day. Would people accept it?
This fanbase has given him a lot of free passes, but I think that would be a red line even the most die hard fanboys couldn't cross.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/4/20!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:11 am

Ship of Fools - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 10!

Dragon Ball Dissection December begins! I can't believe this is the eighth year I've done this! As Goku and Vegeta kill things, I take a step back to look at whether Kaioshin is as ineffectual as people like to believe. You know, it's what I do. I hope you enjoy!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:16 am

Goku’s lax attitude to killing in this arc is a clear indication that Toriyama never thought things through when he inexplicably gave the character an aversion to killing in the Freeza arc. Fans always say that his training with Kami taught him to value life, but it’s obvious that is little more than the fandom’s attempt to hand wave this inconsistency.

At the very least, if we’re supposed to assume that Kami taught Goku to respect life (which would be ironic, considering that Kami was the one who insisted on killing Piccolo), then I guess Goku threw those teachings out the window after Freeza.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 pm

I feel like being dead for 7 years might result in someone's views on death evolving a bit.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:05 pm
Kid Buu wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:00 pmKinda wonder how the fandom would react if Toriyama said something that blatently contradict a major storyline event, like Piccolo beating Goku in the 23rd Budokai and then just calling it a day. Would people accept it?
This fanbase has given him a lot of free passes, but I think that would be a red line even the most die hard fanboys couldn't cross.
I wouldnt be surprised. The original manga run of Dragon Ball had Goku clearly being heroic, yet as soon as Toriyama said hes not a hero, everyone went through leaps and bounds to justify that he wasn't one after all.