MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 5/25/20!)

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 pm

I used to be lukewarm on Movie 9, but it has gotten better for me overtime. The setting alone is pretty fun and creative, and even though most of them don’t do anything at all, I like getting to see most of the cast in a single movie.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 am

Problem with human characters there just too outclassed at this point to do anything significent in the film.

Personally, I would have like to have seen a film with the human characters in the year before Nappa & Vegeta show up.
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:33 pm As one who somehow finds little fun Mario Kart and much prefers Diddy Kong Racing's priorities, I appreciate that analogy. :clap:
I'd rather see Sonic R: DBZ style with that the original OST back. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed May 27, 2020 6:05 pm

I remember in one of Polish sites, that Bojack and his crew planet got destroyed by Freeza, and they wanted to get revenge, during their training they did something bad and got imprisoned on Kaio planet for that, and after they got free, they went to Earth to take revenge on Goku and his friends, for taking away their revenge. I think that would be pretty cool :)

I also remember, that Bojack was so irrelevant in Super Butouden 2, even if you lose fight against him, Broly shows up, kills Bojack, and then you :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 pm

well i love that we get to see cell era gohan in his base form, movie 9 makes gohan look pretty awful lol. it's one of the things i really don't like about the movie, every character feels so worthless during it, it's pretty disappointing. i still really like it, it's one of my favorite dragon ball movies looks wise (love blue haired mr. satan), and the tournament stuff is fantastic, but i think my gohan fan girl-ism got the better of me as a kid when i thought it was one of the best movies.

i do find it kinda interesting how they more or less split the the cell games climax into two different movies, never noticed that till last year.

also i'm very late on this because i wasn't posting at the time due to anxiety issues, but yeah i hate the way toriyama just drops the like two months of bulid during the boo arc. it doesn't even feel like fusion and unlocked potential bulid up and subsequent failings, those at least had a theme to them. i'm fine with gohan not being the main character and goku coming back, i think goku is one of the best parts of the boo arc, but the way it's done just makes everything prior feel so pointless, it's a mess. even if you view it through the lenses of it's supposed to be a joke, it just doesn't work because it takes like two months of the story in real time.

i know it's gonna be a couple episodes but i cannot wait till you get into majin vegeta and how horrible vegeta is during it all. cell arc part 12 felt like a warm up for it all.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Sadala Elite
Banned

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/16/20!)

Post by Sadala Elite » Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:15 am When I was a kid to now I was pretty much neutral to the idea of Great Saiyaman. But hearing it analyzed I do wonder why Toriyama pivoted, and if it was because it was unpopular, why he pivoted to the old, instead of pivoting to a new direction involving Gohan.

Its kind of weird, but I think it would be interesting if he had doubled down on superheroes while bringing in Babidi and his forces.
Well, one thing to note is that Gohan popularity during the Buu arc in Japan didn't decline until the Dabura fight. So I don't think unpopularity is the reason why Toriyama scraped Great Saiyaman.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Wed May 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:53 pm
i know it's gonna be a couple episodes but i cannot wait till you get into majin vegeta and how horrible vegeta is during it all. cell arc part 12 felt like a warm up for it all.
He wasn't doing anything particularly out-of-character or badly written during that part.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 pm I don't think unpopularity is the reason why Toriyama scraped Great Saiyaman.
Toriyama said he didn't believe Gohan had what ti took to become the main character, so he dropped the idea. I have to agree with him, DB was Goku's story, so it was fitting to end it with him alive and taking part in the final battle.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed May 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:14 pm
Sadala Elite wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 pm I don't think unpopularity is the reason why Toriyama scraped Great Saiyaman.
Toriyama said he didn't believe Gohan had what ti took to become the main character, so he dropped the idea. I have to agree with him, DB was Goku's story, so it was fitting to end it with him alive and taking part in the final battle.
I feel like that is just an excuse, one of many because Toriyama had built so much clout and had such a lax editor, he was allowed to do whatever. Yes I agree Pre Saiyan Saga Dragonball is Goku's story, but Post Saiyan Saga Dragonball was Gohan's story. Goku was a living deus ex machina for 3 out of the 4 arcs starting with the Saiyan Saga, with him either dead, training, unconscious, injured, or a mix of the four until the last boss, so it was Gohan we were following the most. He was the Protagonist at best, Deuteragonist at worst before Goku "passed the torch" and it's only Goku's story now because Toriyama didn't want to seal the deal after all the work he put into Gohan.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun May 31, 2020 2:33 pm

I'm loving this conversation right now because, well, Boo Arc Part 4 is done and is going up on Patreon tomorrow, and a lot of this stuff about Gohan's role in the story continues in that video. Even what FoolsGil is saying about Goku being a plot device gets a little quip from me.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 6/8/20!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:32 am

The Budoukai Sells Its Soul - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 4!

I think we all need a break from a reality, so let's watch a video where a narcissistic conman influences the world to benefit him by telling people the things they're seeing with their own eyes aren't true! Also, Goku takes over the story, and Piccolo does something monumentally stupid that I still can't wrap my head around, even after all these years.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm

I HATED Toriyama's new Earth narrative back then. Still pretty much dislike it.

-Everyone in the world gains amnesia, and Mark Satan is the best there is, best there was, and best that ever will be, Eff those kids who knew how to fly and shoot energy beams from their hands.

-Suddenly the Z Fighters Dragon Team care about people knowing who they are, when that was barely on their radar as late as the end of the Freeza Saga, when people can clearly see Namekians, Porunga, and Shenlong at the Capsule Corp Compound.

-Majunior confused me before and after watching the Dragonball anime, before because of lack of context, after because as you mentioned, people know that alias is fake and who he is, but once again, Everyone has amnesia.

I mused the idea of writing a fanfic of Mark, having known the legends, successfully gathered the dragonballs before the 24th Budokai and wished for the memories of the previous matches and champions erased from the collective. And while the main cast and supportive cast are "too strong willed" for the spell to work on them completely, the resulting wish made them more reclusive, as if they wished to be forgotten to time.

Anything to make sense of what I was seeing.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:38 pm

To be honest, the Ma Junior thing really gets me. It's one of those huge, gaping plot holes that is so obvious it amazes me it's almost never talked about.

Part of me wonders if it's talked about more in Japan than here due to FUNimation's infinite blunders ended up "fixing" it. I saw just enough of season 5 of the DBZ dub to remember that Piccolo uses the name "Majunia" in the dub, and I remember being impressed but shaking my head because I just knew they had no idea what that even meant. And then, what, three years later, when they got around to dubbing the "Piccolo Jr. Saga" they changed his alias to "Junior." As always, I get the impression they simply had no idea what they were doing or what they had previously done, but in this case it kinda worked for them.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Hmm, I thought they named him the same in both series' dub. I likely misremembered, but still after seeing the scene with context I did wonder why Piccolo didn't go with something else.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:48 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pmMark Satan is the best there is, best there was, and best that ever will be.
Truer words have never been spoken. 8) :clap: :thumbup:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 pm

The dub definitely had the alias as “Majunior”

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:48 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pmMark Satan is the best there is, best there was, and best that ever will be.
Truer words have never been spoken. 8) :clap: :thumbup:
Gah! Quote out of Context! Is this a 24 hour news channel? :crazy:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:09 pm

Great episode. I think the Ma Junior thing just ties into an overall misanthropic theme Toriyama started gravitating towards of humanity at large being insanely dumb, gullible and ignorant of the main characters' antics. I'd imagine Toriyama got a laugh out of showing Piccolo's weird priorities. It's a tired trope in a lot of ongoing sci-fi to have the status quo be unusually resistant, but considering some of the mad stuff that's been going on recently in the real world... I guess Toriyama was kind of on the ball. People forget shit and move on with their lives.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:35 pm

Wonder if Gaffer will mention Kaioshin being a 2P Future Trunks.

Mysterious character shows up, easily wins a fight with an established character, warns Goku of the villains and then does fuck all rest of the arc. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:52 pm

I always loved how the punch machine gag encapsulated each character's personality. Android 18 doesn't give a shit so of course she won't hold back. Krillin's gonna abide by Gohan's wishes but still wants to get a good score for his pride. Piccolo detests the very idea of this but he's gonna be a good sport and try to cooperate. Goku has no problem holding back whatsoever and is so casual and easy-going about it he gets a lower score than even Krillin. And Vegeta, being the anti-social downer, just says the hell with the whole thing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:18 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:49 pm The dub definitely had the alias as “Majunior”
The DB dub? My DVDs are still in a box, so I can't check. I could have sworn they just called him Junior.
Kid Buu wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:35 pm Wonder if Gaffer will mention Kaioshin being a 2P Future Trunks.
Oh, definitely!
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:52 pm I always loved how the punch machine gag encapsulated each character's personality. Android 18 doesn't give a shit so of course she won't hold back. Krillin's gonna abide by Gohan's wishes but still wants to get a good score for his pride. Piccolo detests the very idea of this but he's gonna be a good sport and try to cooperate. Goku has no problem holding back whatsoever and is so casual and easy-going about it he gets a lower score than even Krillin. And Vegeta, being the anti-social downer, just says the hell with the whole thing.
Are you FunkDoc1112 on YouTube?