MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBTurnip

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/16/21!)

Post by DBTurnip » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:22 pm
DBTurnip wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am Dragon Team?
Yeah, that's the one!
Even DB wiki seems to agree with you.

OK, fair enough, that's a good name.

BTW, I noticed you forgot something in the video about Vegeta's sacrifice in the Buu arc.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:34 pm

DBTurnip wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 am BTW, I noticed you forgot something in the video about Vegeta's sacrifice in the Buu arc.
What would that be?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

DBTurnip

Post by DBTurnip » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:19 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:34 pm
DBTurnip wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 am BTW, I noticed you forgot something in the video about Vegeta's sacrifice in the Buu arc.
What would that be?
About how Piccolo judged him. Given this Piccolo fused to Kami/God during the Android arc, he actually WOULD have a way to know well about how someone would be received by Yemma/Enma. And given one big heroic action wouldn't absolve Vegeta of ALL of what he did before turning a new leaf, he isn't actually wrong, despite how harsh he was (but, hey, that's good ol' Piccolo for ya).

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:54 pm

DBTurnip wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:19 pm About how Piccolo judged him. Given this Piccolo fused to Kami/God during the Android arc, he actually WOULD have a way to know well about how someone would be received by Yemma/Enma. And given one big heroic action wouldn't absolve Vegeta of ALL of what he did before turning a new leaf, he isn't actually wrong, despite how harsh he was (but, hey, that's good ol' Piccolo for ya).
When did I claim Piccolo shouldn't have any insight into that?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/13/21!)

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:28 pm

hey this is a minor thing but, would you ever consider changing the thumbnails of your old DBD videos ? it's always kinda bothered me that midway thru the piccolo arc the thumbnail changes from the default thumbnail for YouTube videos (screenshot from halfway through the video) to a more uniformed custom thumbnail with text and stuff on it. i think it might make those old videos look a bit more professional.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 am

DBZ's New Era of Animation - DBD TV: The Cell Arc Part 2

Dragon Ball Dissection concludes its look at the animated Cell Arc with meme-fodder animation, Gohan's filler adventures, and the worst thing that happened to Mr. Satan since his personality!

Also, yes, I had to cut the intro, so please don't think anything is wrong with the first ten seconds of the video. :-D
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:28 pm hey this is a minor thing but, would you ever consider changing the thumbnails of your old DBD videos ? it's always kinda bothered me that midway thru the piccolo arc the thumbnail changes from the default thumbnail for YouTube videos (screenshot from halfway through the video) to a more uniformed custom thumbnail with text and stuff on it. i think it might make those old videos look a bit more professional.
I have certainly considered it. I'm not sure. The way it bothers you is actually exactly what appeals to me. It changes because that's the point where I was allowed to make custom thumbnails. It's all part of the process, the journey, which would be papered over if I changed them. Plus, you'd end up having that weird FUNimation redub problem where things look would then look better at the beginning before suddenly taking an unexpected dip when you reach the point of my earliest thumbnails. I know it's not the smartest marketing move, and maybe one day I will. But those are my thoughts.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/27/21!)

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:14 am

Mentions Yajirobe's anime-only death causing consistency issues with the TV version of Super: "Huh, okay. Did not expect that to be brought up."

Does not mention the anime-only scene of Goku kissing Chi-Chi causing consistency issues with both versions of Super: "Hm..."

You're slacking, Lance! (Teacher-ly ruler-hitting-palm motion.)

The animation studio breakdown was both concisely and thoroughly handled, as were the discussions on the anti-comedy that is having to deal with the Mr. Satan disciples the whole time and the pros and cons of the "everyone helps" filler.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 am DBZ's New Era of Animation - DBD TV: The Cell Arc Part 2
I have certainly considered it. I'm not sure. The way it bothers you is actually exactly what appeals to me. It changes because that's the point where I was allowed to make custom thumbnails. It's all part of the process, the journey, which would be papered over if I changed them. Plus, you'd end up having that weird FUNimation redub problem where things look would then look better at the beginning before suddenly taking an unexpected dip when you reach the point of my earliest thumbnails. I know it's not the smartest marketing move, and maybe one day I will. But those are my thoughts.
yeah that's pretty understandable, especially the funimation point, and i actually do like how the cell arc and boo arc openings were pretty vastly different, it's not uniform but it helps give them their own flavor.

anyway i said it in the yt comments but last house's utter fall in this arc legit makes me so sad. i think the thing that bothers me the most about their episodes from this point on is that the character outlines are all over the place, they like insanely thin but also way thicker then every other studio ? it's such a weird phenomenon. i still think studio live was overall was worse (last house was one of the best studios for much longer then studio live with just a good one), but seeing how much better their episodes got as Z progressed actually made me kinda happy ? not too jump the gun but the fact that they did Majin vegeta's death episode, after nearly 4 years of not being able to draw vegeta and the episode looks fantastic...it's strangely beautiful.

also goku unlocking the key in the vodka filler episode is one of my favorite nozawa line deliveries lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:44 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 am anyway i said it in the yt comments but last house's utter fall in this arc legit makes me so sad. i think the thing that bothers me the most about their episodes from this point on is that the character outlines are all over the place, they like insanely thin but also way thicker then every other studio ? it's such a weird phenomenon. i still think studio live was overall was worse (last house was one of the best studios for much longer then studio live with just a good one), but seeing how much better their episodes got as Z progressed actually made me kinda happy ? not too jump the gun but the fact that they did Majin vegeta's death episode, after nearly 4 years of not being able to draw vegeta and the episode looks fantastic...it's strangely beautiful.
The noticeably thicker outlines is certainly how I always identified Last House, even before I knew their name.

They're an eyesore in the Cell and Boo arcs, and will come to produce what I think might be the worst-looking episodes of animated Dragon Ball ever in GT. Never been a contest between Studio Live and them for my least favorite studio to see on an episode. Studio Live's angular work and stiff animation never bothered me to the same extent visually, and I think it largely comes down to the outline thickness, if that makes any sense. Last House's later work just looks enormously out of place.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:24 am

yeah the outline density in combined with the lack of detail definitely gives a unfinished look almost, it gets pretty unbearable by the boo arc, the way they starting drawing vegeta with his GT hair pre GT drove me crazy lol. but for what it's worth even in the cell arc, i do like a couple of last house episodes, their episodes for goku vs #19 and piccolo vs #17 are both pretty great, and i don't quite remember but one of their episodes for A semi perfect cell episode moves really well. all of them lack a crazy amount of detail, but their style isn't bad enough too the point where it's distracting like it is by the cell games, and i prefer pretty fluid episodes that look slightly below average to insanely stiff episodes that look slightly better. but by the boo arc it's not a competition yea lol.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:03 am

The praise for Studio Cockpit surprised me, as I've always disliked their over-exaggerated facial expressions. The characters look like they're GRINDING. THEIR. TEETH. SO. HARD!! Animation-wise they're fine, it's just the art style that bothers me, I guess.

On a note I did agree with, yes the contrast between Z episodes 120 and 121 has always been painfully hilarious. 121 doesn't even look that bad throughout the rest of the episode, but those first few scenes coming directly off of 120... Ouch.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:00 pm

I agree about Studio Cockpit, the facial expressions seem like they're on cocaine, it's 7 am and they've ran out of it already. Next to the Uchiyama's studio, it's a Picasso, though, but I'm not really a fan.

I guess it's Last House the studio that I hate the most, that's the one with the fat characters and just plain bad drawings, right? Something I really liked about DBS, even with it's not-so-great artwork and animation, it's the fact that there's no more of THAT. It ruined the Baby saga conclusion for me, it ruined several fights in Z, it's just plain disgusting to look at.

A name stuck on my head after reading a GT guide 20 years ago: Uchiyama Seiko, the culprit of those awful episodes.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:52 am

Oh, Mullet Cell. Yeah, of all the bad things Last House has done, the way they drew Cell was just so bizarre.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:16 am

Cell also had some fucked up legs. Big, meaty calves and skinny, ballerina ankles.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:14 pm

It's interesting, how Doga Kobo produced one OVA in 1988, and then they worked as hired studio, and it wasnt until 2007, when they started doing full series, and their slice of life series adaptations like Kobayashi, have excellent fight scenes, i still would love Doga Kobo to make Dragon Ball spin off SoL series one day :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:09 am

isn't kobayashi done by kyoani ? i don't think they outsourced any of it.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/25/21!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:29 am

A Tournament of Nonsense - DBD TV: The Anoyoichi Budoukai Arc

You know, I worried I wouldn't have enough content to make a full video out of this when I remembered that it was only five episodes. But no matter how many times I had watched this in the past, I could never really remember what happened. I'm kind of amazed now it never left an impression on me because there are basically two halves to this arc: new gods and world-building that are charming and fun, and a tournament that feels lazy and makes no sense. It made so little sense that I am extraordinarily grateful that Cipher helped me out with translation questions. Yeah, some of this made so little sense that I questioned whether the subtitles were actually correct! Forgive me, Steve Simmons, for I have sinned. Anyway, hope you enjoy this!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:06 am

I consider the afterlife tournament to be a fun little diversion, but nothing more. On the subject of Paikuhan, he kind of comes across as a predecessor to Hit.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:34 am

While I agree with the video, I still enjoy this little arc. It has really nice backgrounds, the Ano Yo is a really beautiful place, and the Grand Kaio is really fun, and I had no idea about his throne/car.

I feel this arc is like when I was a kid and my dad used to take me to a BBQ/senior footy tournament and I'd spend the whole day like in the country and I'd literally know two people out of 50 and had to make new friends. Enjoyable but weird. }

I also never really cared much for Paikuhan.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:56 pm

I semi-ironically liked this arc due to a combination of the premise appealing to me and Kaio being a surprisingly consistent enjoyable character, even when he's in the background.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.