MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/24/13

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:42 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Do you mean that the arc itself moves at a reasonable pace, or that I am getting through the arc at a reasonable pace?
You're getting through it at a reasonable pace. I know there's a lot in this arc, and I was worried that it would take quite a few more episodes to get all the way up through Goku's training with Karin. Not that I don't love watching you go in depth as much as possible, it's just that the Karin/Tao Pai Pai area is my favorite portion of the arc, so I'm glad you've gotten to there much faster than I had expected.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/24/13

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm very glad you think so because I'd been getting worried about the exact opposite, both in real time and the number of parts this has constituted. Granted, I have made a conscious effort to make slightly shorter, more frequent updates, so I guess that balances out, but considering I said this arc was about the length of the last two put together (which were done in 6 parts total), the fact that this won't be done until at least 8 parts (possibly 9) has had me a bit worried. And in real time, I've been on this arc since Christmas! For a while, I was making slower progress than Toriyama did when he wrote it, although I've finally managed to overtake him now. So that worry combined with the sudden onset of a Dragon Ball "mood" for me has caused me to try and make some quick headway before my main job starts back up again in a week. And it's been nice to get through upwards of ten chapters a video now rather than... four... or one, but I don't really feel like I'm skimping in detail or what I've wanted to say either. It just feels like I'm really excited about where the story is going and am pleased to be making some significant headway in it.

I'm not sure if that's even directly addressing your post so much as me taking a moment to vent my insecurities, but, eh, there you go. =P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 7/29/13

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm

DBD: The Red Ribbon Army Arc Part 7!

Son Goku defeats the entire Red Ribbon Army! And then the story keeps going because we have a rogue Dragon Ball to find, and the Scooby Gang has to make it through a bunch of monsters that aren't even wearing masks.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Wow, I've completely missed that Blooma and company didn't have a form of transportation! What a twist! O.o Also, Ka-rin, not 'Kar-in'. :P Also, I believe you're supposed to drop the 'u' from 'Suke', so it is more like 'Ske-san'. Like in 'Sasuke'. I believe.

I agree with your arc division. I might actually switch from 'Red Ribbon Army arc' to 'The Second Dragon Ball Hunt'. Some day. Maybe.

I really, really, really look forward to your analysis of the Twenty-Second Tenka'ichi Budoukai arc. That is perhaps the most kung fu film-esque arc until, not to mention the most character-driven. I think it would work well enough as three videos, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:57 am

I loved the Scooby Doo analogy. :lol:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:07 pm

What happens if we go a step further...

Blooma is Velma & Daphne since she's got looks and smarts.

Kuririn is Shaggy since he's the every man.

Gokuu is Scooby Doo. Both have tails. Both eat a lot. Both are the stars of their show.

(Does that mean Gohan is Scrappy?)
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Insertclevername wrote:What happens if we go a step further...

Gokuu is Scooby Doo. Both have tails. Both eat a lot. Both are the stars of their show.

(Does that mean Gohan is Scrappy?)

Scrappy is Scoobies nephew so it can't be Gohan. If anyone relates to Scrappy's uselessness it's Yamcha.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:13 pm

But he's already Fred.

I mean, it's not like Raditz ever had a kid, let alone got laid.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Insertclevername wrote:But he's already Fred.

I mean, it's not like Raditz ever had a kid, let alone got laid.
How can Yamcha be Fred? Fred is capable, Yamcha is useless. If Raditz was Scooby then Gohan would be Scrappy.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Watch episode 7 of the RRA DBD and Gaffer Tape will explain why. But in short, he's never given anything interesting to do. He drives everyone around. And he acts as the de facto leader.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Watch episode 7 of the RRA DBD and Gaffer Tape will explain why. But in short, he's never given anything interesting to do. He drives everyone around. And he acts as the de facto leader.
Yamcha acts as the de facto leader? I agree with the other 2 points, but the last one?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Well, I'd recommend giving the Uranai Baba section of the RRA arc another glance because Yamucha really is the most pro-active character at this point, which makes sense because he's the oldest. He's the one who takes charge of rounding everyone up and bringing them to the RRA base. He takes charge in the quest to find Uranai Baba's. He's the one who decides to land to get Goku new clothes, deals with the tailor, and pays for them. He does most of the talking to Uranai Baba when they arrive there. He's the one who comes up with most of the plans and strategies, like saving Goku until last. So, yeah, that's why I say he's the de facto leader at this point.

Insertclevername wrote:What happens if we go a step further...

(Does that mean Gohan is Scrappy?)]
Haha, yep, I was definitely implying that Goku was Scooby-Doo what with the "dumb talking animal" line and Scooby's picture dissolving into Goku. :lol:

I also definitely thought of Kuririn as Shaggy, both with the everyman statement and Kuririn's closeness to Goku.

Was conflicted about Blooma (or whether to even include her since she's not part of this group of 5), but I was thinking Daphne due to being the "pretty one" and being attached to Fred (Yamucha). But, yeah, the genius thing does make her akin to Velma as well. Honestly, I'm always reminded that I always thought of Luca and Marle from Chrono Trigger as two halves of Blooma.

But if I was just going with the five, I guess Pu'erh would have to be Daphne and Upa would be Velma (he definitely fits as the Velma from A Pup Named Scooby-Doo)!
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, I'd recommend giving the Uranai Baba section of the RRA arc another glance because Yamucha really is the most pro-active character at this point, which makes sense because he's the oldest. He's the one who takes charge of rounding everyone up and bringing them to the RRA base. He takes charge in the quest to find Uranai Baba's. He's the one who decides to land to get Goku new clothes, deals with the tailor, and pays for them. He does most of the talking to Uranai Baba when they arrive there. He's the one who comes up with most of the plans and strategies, like saving Goku until last. So, yeah, that's why I say he's the de facto leader at this point.
I Guess so?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Haha, no one said you had to agree with me. But, come on! Ascots!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:20 pm

So, you'll probably return to Mezase Tenka'ichi for the Twenty-Second and Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi Budoukai arcs. I have to wonder what you'll do for the Piccolo Daimaou arc? Poor guy never got his own vocal theme. I guess there's always M505?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Actually, I don't plan to return to Mezase Tenkaichi. I want each arc to have its own intro music, and I've always figured I'd have to go to BGM for some of them... which is no step down as I love the BGM. And, yeah, I definitely always considered M505 for the Piccolo arc.
JulieYBM wrote:O.o Also, Ka-rin, not 'Kar-in'. :P Also, I believe you're supposed to drop the 'u' from 'Suke', so it is more like 'Ske-san'. Like in 'Sasuke'. I believe.
Yeah, I did give too much emphasis to the "u" in that one, and I could even hear that I did. As for Karin... I dunno, I feel I already do say it like that. Clean out your ears! :P

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Good job on pointing about that Yamcha gained the upper-hand in the Invisible Man before Baba started to intervene, most neglect that fact in order to make Yamcha look like a cheater. I find it odd that people try to dispute that victory for having assist anyway, considering they're willing to give guys like Piccolo credit for beating Raditz when Goku helped him.

Also, I sent you a PM about Yamucha, did you get it?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 pm

I bet it'll be tough when you have to choose between different intro music in the later arcs. The Cell arc is tough one. Battle Point Unlimited or MIND POWER …Ki... or Day of Destiny –Spirit vs Spirit–. You got some tough choices ahead of you. :P
Gaffer Tape wrote:Haha, yep, I was definitely implying that Goku was Scooby-Doo what with the "dumb talking animal" line and Scooby's picture dissolving into Goku. :lol:
Wow, I can't believe I missed that! :lol:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Also, I sent you a PM about Yamucha, did you get it?
Yes, I did, and responded. Sorry for taking so long.

Anyway, as far as the Scooby-Doo thing goes, since someone mentioned Scrappy, I'd say, if I have to pick a Scrappy, it would be definitely be Vegeta! :lol:

And that's not in the TVTropes definition of the term. Just in terms of the character himself. Hear me out! While Vegeta certainly does not have the blind adoration (or familial relationship) to Goku that Scrappy has to Scooby, they are of the same species, and Vegeta certainly does possess that blind eagerness to fight, just like Scrappy. And he always gets himself in over his head because of that. They're also both small. And to anyone who's seen the most recent episode of Abridged: "MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!" Yep, definitely Scrappy. :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 am

...I'll never be able to unsee Vegeta as the Scrappy now, thanks for that. :lol: (Am I really the only one who actually likes Scrappy anymore? Poor pup. :P ).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)