MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jochickabee

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/25/1

Post by jochickabee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 am

Sounds all logical.

So do people really say it like- Ca-carrot? Not talking about spelling, but pronunciation.

Being Asian, and speaking multiple languages including some degree of Japanese, I'm particular about how many names get changed "Americanized/anglicized" so it's hard not to instinctively cringe when something seems to sound "off."

"Blooma" just doesn't "sound" right-- since my primary viewing was in the Japanese version- and also because Funimation dub kept it that way.

Although watching dubbed DBZ Kai now, I have gotten used to the Funimation name versions, e.g. Krillin instead of Kuririn (which is just so many syllables and does not flow as well in English-- although loses the "kuri" chestnut reference) as well as Saiyan (say-yan).

Was thinking a few other things...

I never watched GT in English.

For "Pan"--- are people using frying "pan" or "pan" as in Spanish for bread-- which is the way it is pronounced in Japanese. I tend to believe that Toriyama was referencing the food-- and not so much Videl side of family i.e. the devil/god pan-- but maybe he was trying for both?

For the new movie villains, I assume people are just using the direct romanji for pronunciation
ビルス- Birusu -- but will we end up callin him --- Bils? Vils?
ウイス and Uisu -- Weesu? Visu?

Not sure if we will get explanation on intended puns-- I think someone mentioned that this may be a pun on "Virus". ウイルス.

To be aware, of course not all romanized words are derived from English, i.e. "pan" Spanish. The Japanese pronunciation of "virus" I believe is most likely derived from German- so it doesn't sound like our English virus- but rather vee-rusu.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

jochickabee wrote:"Blooma" just doesn't "sound" right-- since my primary viewing was in the Japanese version- and also because Funimation dub kept it that way.
Really? Because my primary viewing is also the Japanese version, and it sounds very much like "Blooma" when they say "Booroomuh," well, as much as "Tohrahnkoosoo" sounds like "Trunks." Then again, other people have told me the same thing, so you're not alone. I just find it odd that people can't seem to hear it. I mean, pronouncing it "Boolma" makes sense, but certainly not Buhl-muh like FUNimation pronounces it.

At the end of the day, pronunciation matters more to me than the pun. That's why I can't pronounce Mr. Satan as Say-tan. I know what it's referencing and know that the character his name is referencing is pronounced Say-tan in English, but the character in Dragon Ball's name is written and pronounced Sah-tan. And if that's how Mark wants to pronounce his name, who am I to correct him? So I have to say it like that. But for me, "Blooma," (which itself is a fairly recent development for me) works perfectly both in keeping the intent of the word and pronunciation of the kana.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Great job, Gaffer Tape! I have watched everyone so far. I look forward to the next one. I didn't even know this thread was here. :D

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/19/13

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 am

DBD: The Red Ribbon Army Arc Part 2!

Goku gets (and loses) a wacky, comedic sidekick. Then he (once again) plays dress-up with a little girl. And then he decides to take on the manliest-named of towers. Sorry for the delay. Hope you guys enjoy!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

"Because he's a robot. Get it?!"

Ah, it's always nice getting one of these. Setting up that recall of the dialogue box was a clever addition I wouldn't have bothered to even think of.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 pm

I was happy to see you raise the point about the names of the Red Ribbon soldiers, as I actually wondered about this myself a little while ago. Even with the weird pun names that the characters usually get, this particular set of names just stuck out to me as weird regardless of how you look at it. Between Herms' response and my own further thinking on the fact that I was reading a comic by a guy who makes poop jokes, I ended up just rolling with it. :lol: Still fun to think about though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Day has been made.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I was happy to see you raise the point about the names of the Red Ribbon soldiers, as I actually wondered about this myself a little while ago. Even with the weird pun names that the characters usually get, this particular set of names just stuck out to me as weird regardless of how you look at it. Between Herms' response and my own further thinking on the fact that I was reading a comic by a guy who makes poop jokes, I ended up just rolling with it. :lol: Still fun to think about though.
Oh, wow. How did I miss that thread? But, yeah, it does especially get weird when you think about Tao Pai Pai.
JulieYBM wrote:"Because he's a robot. Get it?!"

Ah, it's always nice getting one of these. Setting up that recall of the dialogue box was a clever addition I wouldn't have bothered to even think of.
I'm a bit annoyed at myself for not mentioning that Metallic actually isn't talking in boxy katakana, though. I guess Toriyama was trying to be slightly more subtle with his true identity...

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Amusingly, whenever they list name puns in guides, they also include Metallic with the color-themed RR members, so apparently he was named on the idea that "metallic" was a color. Which...I guess it's sort of in that general area, if you squint a little.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Oh, wow. I never even thought about it like that. I guess I always did find it weird that he's the only ranking RRA officer who didn't follow that scheme. Interesting that it was at least... er, kinda, followed. Then again, you go with FUNimation's take on it (Metallitron), and the connection becomes even more tenuous, while Viz's Full Metal Jacket throws it out completely!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am

You didn`t have to apologise in video, real life is above anything else, i`ve reaaded manga quite a lot, but i never noticed, that Goku just left these soldiers there, Snow and her mother probably at least take their guns away and just tied them, i don`t think he killed them, because when he fight Ter...Metalic, he did honour him, after he thought he killed him.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I was happy to see you raise the point about the names of the Red Ribbon soldiers, as I actually wondered about this myself a little while ago. Even with the weird pun names that the characters usually get, this particular set of names just stuck out to me as weird regardless of how you look at it. Between Herms' response and my own further thinking on the fact that I was reading a comic by a guy who makes poop jokes, I ended up just rolling with it. :lol: Still fun to think about though.
Oh, wow. How did I miss that thread? But, yeah, it does especially get weird when you think about Tao Pai Pai.
How so? I mean, he wasn't actually part of the Red Ribbon Army, just a mercenary that they hired.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Great to see you back, love your work :)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:How so? I mean, he wasn't actually part of the Red Ribbon Army, just a mercenary that they hired.
That's exactly it: the name "Tao Pai Pai" ("Peach White White") fits the RR's color theme, even though the character is not actually part of the army. So from an "in-universe" perspective, the color name puns pretty much have to be a big coincidence rather than code names or anything else the army consciously plans out. Unless Red is so obsessive that he only hires assassins with color-based names.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:40 pm

I was not aware of that. Very interesting.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Wow, I've never viewed it that way. I always thought of Peach as the fruit and not as the colour, that makes much more sense now.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/16/13

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am

DBD: The Red Ribbon Army Arc Part 3!

Here I thought I was working fast, and here it's still managed to take me nearly a month! But, still, that's better than three months. Or seven. At any rate, Goku finishes his trek through Muscle Tower. Why do I need to describe it to you people? You all know what happens! :lol:

At any rate, as should probably have already been obvious, this arc's not going to end in three installments. We're going into extra innings!

And as always, feedback/corrections/constructive criticism/reminders of things you absolutely don't want to miss are totally appreciated. Enjoy!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 am

Well, dang. The video keeps ending on me about a minute in. The player's maximum length literally goes from about ~15 minutes to one or so.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 am

Hmm, that's weird. I know I've had that glitch happen to me on a couple of videos I've watched recently. So far, no one else has mentioned it, but I'll keep my eye open for it. If anyone else has this problem, please let me know.

EDIT: Hmm. When I've tried to scan around to different parts of the video, I've had that glitch happen. I'm going to let it play out in full and see what happens.

EDIT: Aaaaand it stopped after a minute. Let me see if I can find out if anyone else is having this problem. So far, my comments have not mentioned it.

EDIT: And now it seems to be okay for me. Maybe just close the tab and try it again...? That's all I can think of.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 am

Weird, just yesterday, for no apparent reason, I was thinking about DBD and wonder when the new episode was coming out? Well, I guess it was today! :)

Great stuff as always! I usually end up learning something new in this series and this video is no exception! I never knew the whole White/Silver error.

Oh, and the wait time is fine. If it works for you, then it's just a-okay. :wink:

*Edit* For what it's worth, the video error didn't happen to me.*
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.