MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/25/21!)

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:55 pm

My headcanon throughout the last few years has been that there was an internal rearrangement after Evil Buu ate that fat one, so that all of the Kaioshin influenced was shoved into Fat Buu for convenience. Thus, when Fat Buu was ripped out, only Pure Buu was left.

As for the South Kaioshin, I thought it was pretty obvious why he was in there. To explain why Super Buu is eight feet tall and muscular, while Pure Buu is four foot shrimp.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/21!)

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:05 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:34 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:08 pm I feel really bad for the Majin Buu arc. Like, it starts out in a soft reboot kind of thing with with the timeskip & dealing with Gohan's life, but then it transitions into regular DB stuff fro up until that point & it kinda ruins what could've been. On top of that, the glaring tone shifts that cause mood whiplash & characters acting certain ways for no other reason butt for the plot to advance rather than the characters driving the plot, it's just really bad. There are cool moments for sure, but most everything around them is not great.
"Fro"? Did you mean "from"?
Yes. My laptop's keyboard hates me.

Corrected version:
I feel really bad for the Majin Buu arc. Like, it starts out in a soft reboot kind of thing with with the timeskip & dealing with Gohan's life, but then it transitions into regular DB stuff from up until that point & it kinda ruins what could've been. On top of that, the glaring tone shifts that cause mood whiplash & characters acting certain ways for no other reason but for the plot to advance rather than the characters driving the plot, it's just really bad. There are cool moments for sure, but most everything around them is not great.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:44 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:55 pm As for the South Kaioshin, I thought it was pretty obvious why he was in there. To explain why Super Buu is eight feet tall and muscular, while Pure Buu is four foot shrimp.
There’s no indication that Super Boo’s appearance is a result of absorbing the South Kaioshin.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:27 pm

Merry Christmas Gaffer Tape and others reading this thread.

I'm kinda curious if you would prefer the Mystic Gohan ending or the Kid Buu ending we got, though I'm guessing you're waiting to talk about that when you get there.

I like Kid Buu. Guy's got a slasher movie type personality of creep to him. My guess is if it was up to do and I had to rewrite the arc, I'd just skip the Mystic Gohan stuff and go from Gotenks to Vegetto as dbzfan7 suggested earlier.

By the way, since Kaioshin literally knows Buu can absorb people you would think he'd warn people of that. :crazy:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:20 pm

I always thought that buff Buu, Ultra Buu I think it's called, showing up was like when the T-1000 fell into the lava and started cycling back through all of his previous "forms".

I was extremely surprised when the Dai happened to be alive in the Moro arc. Does that mean South Kaioshin as well might be alive somewhere inside Mr. Buu? If we remove them, we'd get another Kid Buu, right? Probably not as strong.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/21!)

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:05 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:34 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:08 pm I feel really bad for the Majin Buu arc. Like, it starts out in a soft reboot kind of thing with with the timeskip & dealing with Gohan's life, but then it transitions into regular DB stuff fro up until that point & it kinda ruins what could've been. On top of that, the glaring tone shifts that cause mood whiplash & characters acting certain ways for no other reason butt for the plot to advance rather than the characters driving the plot, it's just really bad. There are cool moments for sure, but most everything around them is not great.
"Fro"? Did you mean "from"?
Yes. My laptop's keyboard hates me.
Ok, lol

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:14 pm

Theory about Super Buu regressing to Pure Buu: What if after Thin Buu absorb Fat Buu, they become one again? Only with "evil" part more dominant, that's why Fat Buu removal resulted in Super Buu becoming Buff/Pure Buu.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/31/21!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:59 am

The Movie That Fixed Vegeta - Dragon Ball Dissection: Fusion Reborn!! Goku and Vegeta

DBD December for 2021 comes to a close, one with far more bumps and bruises than I expected! But it's been fun! And now I conclude with a look at the movie that is very much The Boo Arc, but with a greater emphasis on dead people. It's fun, it's funny, its plot is wafer-thin. It actually handles a few things better than the series, I think, including Vegeta. And then there's that Gogeta guy, whose very existence sent the series into a tail spin. Does his appearance make it all worth it? Thanks so much for watching!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:12 pm

You were almost isekai'ed? Seriously through, good thing it wasn't something more serious. DBZ Movie 12 and 13 was released as one movie in Poland back in 2003, and unfortunately, it missed scenes with not-Hitler, i heared every Europe release back then had those scenes removed.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:03 pm

Honestly, with the whole tennis stuff going in the arc (Gotenks, Gohan, Vegetto) it was actually kind of refreshing to see Gogeta just show up and get the job done straight away.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 1/31/22!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:12 am

Dragon Ball's Godly Identity Crisis - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 26!

It's my 10th anniversary episode! Dragon Ball Dissection turned 10 this month, and I am very lucky to have been able to share this with all of you for all these years. To celebrate, let's destroy God. At least, let's destroy Dragon Ball's gods. They just don't make a lot of sense, even in their own world, especially with the introduction of the Kaioshin!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:46 am

Here's to another 10 years dissecting Dragon Ball.

Keep up the great work, GafferTape. :thumbup:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:39 pm

Happy 10 Years.

Don't mind Goku refusing to become Vegetto. He's fighting a much weaker villain who he believes he can defeat, so I can see the rational.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 2/28/22!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:45 am

Character Arcs Are 'Number One' - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 27!

Wow, I can't believe we're here. It's the final battle with Majin Boo. There are a lot of interesting punches and kicks, but that's not really what I remember about this section of Dragon Ball. It's the characters. I've given the arc a lot of flack over the past couple of years, perhaps deservedly so, but does it manage to stick the landing here? What do you think? Thanks so much for watching!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:45 am

The finale of the Majin Boo arc is wonderful. It's the storytelling equivalent of throwing all the jigsaw puzzle pieces in the air, and through sheer good fortune, all the pieces perfectly land into place. Even when Toriyama at that stage was burned out and so done with fighting manga in general, he still put in the effort to make the climactic battle of the entire story as well written as he possibly could.

I wish you touched a bit more on Goku's speech before he gives the final push of his Genki Dama to kill Majin Boo. In my opinion, that's the best bit of dialogue Goku gets in all of the manga. It's a wonderful reflection of Goku's philosophy as a martial artist as well as his viewpoint on the positive virtues in humanity and decency.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:45 am The finale of the Majin Boo arc is wonderful. It's the storytelling equivalent of throwing all the jigsaw puzzle pieces in the air, and through sheer good fortune, all the pieces perfectly land into place.
I love that analogy! I'd never thought of it quite like that before, but you are certainly correct.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Loved that one last "poor dolt" :)

Haven't heard about that Vegeta speech interpretation, it is really interesting, and fits Vegeta, who thinks he got it all and everything will be fine only to find he was wrong...again.

And that's what infuriates me about Super, teamwork is important, get it through your thick, Saiyan skulls...
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:42 pm

About Goku Vs. Vegeta. Just gonna copy and paste this post that sums up my thoughts.
Cipher wrote:That's pretty much it. Vegeta only seems particularly stupid because the story doesn't magically play out in favor of his mistakes as it does with Goku.

Goku gives the demon king a senzu bean, and he ends up becoming good and defending the Earth.
Goku spares Vegeta, and he saves everyone's life on Namek.
Goku lets Freeza power up, and he fully crushes his ego and gets to learn wacky techniques in space afterward.
Goku lets Majin Buu go and ... well, honestly, this doesn't go so well, but he gets to come back in at the end of the arc for a full redemption.

Vegeta, on the other hand, lets Cell become complete and immediately gets his ass kicked.

And just to add to my discussion of post-Namek Vegeta, use this analogy. You've been training your entire life to get a black belt in karate. Just before you're finally so, so close, two nameless nobodies come in and get it like it's nothing. Then when you finally obtain it, after all that work, everyone comes in and says, "Black belt? Eh, that's not really so great anymore. We really need black belt 2 now." Hell, even Piccolo in the Cell arc comes right up to Vegeta and is all like, "Oh, you became a Super Saiyan? Yeah, I merged with Kami and did better than that like it ain't no thang." So you work your ass off and get your black belt 2 or whatever, only you find out that yours is frayed at the ends and your rival's nine-year-old son just made a perfect one out of nowhere. Then the school closes down, denying you a chance to ever catch up to them. And on the one day it re-opens years later, someone you've never met before starts stealing everyone's attention for his personal, over-dramaticized business. Can you help it if you just have to get up on a table and shout "Can we please get back to what we came here for?"

You'd be pretty angry too. It's like God just woke up one morning and decided it would be funny to mess with Vegeta. Considering that he's a personal friend of Goku, that's actually not unlikely.

In the end, Vegeta's character arc is the most soberingly realistic of the entire series. He doesn't get the typical shonen message of "Try hard and you can do anything." Instead, at the end of the Buu arc, his redemption is realizing that sometimes hard work's just not good enough, and that life isn't fair. The best bet is just to focus on being the best you can be and not comparing yourself to others. It's easy to see why he did spend so much time comparing himself to others though.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:22 pm

I'm afraid the contrivances before and after the moments covered in this episode aren't something I can ignore. The Buu saga isn't Goku's story, it's certainly not Vegeta's story, and the fact that they get a good resolution doesn't mean much to me when all the characters whose story this was - who aren't Mr. Satan - get left by the wayside. Frankly, I think Vegeta's journey is more powerful if his futile sacrifice is his final end, and Goku's ceded final responsibility for safeguarding the world so often by the time he comes back to life that having him involved in any direct way with the defeat of Majin Buu feels like a letdown. Sticking the landing doesn't work if the guy on the pole vault gets thrown off and replaced two thirds of the way down.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:41 pm

The Cell and Buu arc conclusions show that if there's anything Toriyama can do, it's stick the fucking landing

Edit: ^Ah, if this came off as a snarky rebuttal to the above post, I didn't intend to :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler