MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 11/9/20!)

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 pmI wouldnt be surprised. The original manga run of Dragon Ball had Goku clearly being heroic, yet as soon as Toriyama said hes not a hero, everyone went through leaps and bounds to justify that he wasn't one after all.
I agree with both points here, but I still think even the most die hard fans would find it hard to explain how Piccolo killed Goku at the 23rd Tenkaichi if Toriyama were to state that. :lol:

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/4/20!)

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:39 am

I wonder how different the perception of Kaioshin among the fandom would be if Toriyama just made the small change of having him easily defeat Piccolo in a flashy manner rather than just having Piccolo say he was way stronger. Or if the audience got a direct measuring stick statement when Kaioshin paralyzed Gohan a la Goku's "Dabra's about as strong as Cell" line.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:34 am

I'm surprised you didn't mention that Yakon is Goku's only victory after Namek. Loses to Android 19, Cell and Cell Jr in the Cell Saga. Then suckered punched by Vegeta and then a no content with both Fat and Kid Buu.

As for games Goku would enjoy. I'd assume he'd enjoy fast faced arcade-style games, esepcially fighting games. Doubt he has the patience for a RPG.
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:16 am Goku’s lax attitude to killing in this arc is a clear indication that Toriyama never thought things through when he inexplicably gave the character an aversion to killing in the Freeza arc. Fans always say that his training with Kami taught him to value life, but it’s obvious that is little more than the fandom’s attempt to hand wave this inconsistency.

At the very least, if we’re supposed to assume that Kami taught Goku to respect life (which would be ironic, considering that Kami was the one who insisted on killing Piccolo), then I guess Goku threw those teachings out the window after Freeza.
I've always hated that "Kami taught Goku" theory since Kami was literally training Goku to kill Piccolo. To me it always just seems like Goku just got pissed at Vegeta killing the Ginyus since it's basically just kicking a man while he's down. Or maybe Freeza refusing to change made Goku less compassionate at sparing foes. Since Goku also wanted Gohan to kill Cell as fast as possible too.
RandomGuy96 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:39 am I wonder how different the perception of Kaioshin among the fandom would be if Toriyama just made the small change of having him easily defeat Piccolo in a flashy manner rather than just having Piccolo say he was way stronger. Or if the audience got a direct measuring stick statement when Kaioshin paralyzed Gohan a la Goku's "Dabra's about as strong as Cell" line.
Yeah, or had a sword and is a Saiyan. :lol:
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:18 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 pmI wouldnt be surprised. The original manga run of Dragon Ball had Goku clearly being heroic, yet as soon as Toriyama said hes not a hero, everyone went through leaps and bounds to justify that he wasn't one after all.
I agree with both points here, but I still think even the most die hard fans would find it hard to explain how Piccolo killed Goku at the 23rd Tenkaichi if Toriyama were to state that. :lol:
A part of me wants me to say something along those lines,, just so we can use it dismiss all the other things Toriyama says. :crazy:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:08 pm

I'm surprised you didn't bring up that Babidi apparently gathered the strongest warriors throughout his time in the cosmos, which in itself does not make any sense, since he has no Saiyans, or Freeza or any of his ilk on the ship.

In Plague of Gripes' Dragonball Analysis videos, he mentioned how Toriyama has a habit of always putting the biggest and strongest of anyone to pit against Goku, thus shrinking the world because now there's nothing more out there for him to face. In a way it blew up in Toriyama's face this time, as Babidi's strongest warriors, well Vegeta didn't even need to go Super Saiyan, and the other was overloaded on Super Saiyan energy, against opponents who can go to Super Saiyan 2 (and 3) and we knew it was going to happen more or less like that because we saw the strongest villain from space 2 arcs ago. Maybe its a subversion, but if Toriyama didn't go out of his way to say Freeza was the big bad mother of the universe, at least for a little while, we could believe Babidi had the strongest villains he found.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:45 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:08 pm I'm surprised you didn't bring up that Babidi apparently gathered the strongest warriors throughout his time in the cosmos, which in itself does not make any sense, since he has no Saiyans, or Freeza or any of his ilk on the ship.

In Plague of Gripes' Dragonball Analysis videos, he mentioned how Toriyama has a habit of always putting the biggest and strongest of anyone to pit against Goku, thus shrinking the world because now there's nothing more out there for him to face. In a way it blew up in Toriyama's face this time, as Babidi's strongest warriors, well Vegeta didn't even need to go Super Saiyan, and the other was overloaded on Super Saiyan energy, against opponents who can go to Super Saiyan 2 (and 3) and we knew it was going to happen more or less like that because we saw the strongest villain from space 2 arcs ago. Maybe its a subversion, but if Toriyama didn't go out of his way to say Freeza was the big bad mother of the universe, at least for a little while, we could believe Babidi had the strongest villains he found.
Toriyama wrote himself into a corner when he established Freeza as the invincible emperor of the universe who, even in his weakest form, is dozens of times stronger than Vegeta was during the Saiyan saga. The fact that he went so big with that arc had no doubt contributed to the online rumor that he intended to end the series with Freeza, even though that probably isn’t true.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/20!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:30 am

Martial Arts for Fun and Profit - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 11!

Dragon Ball Dissection December continues with a look at the cheatingest tournament match ever. Mr. Satan versus #18 is a lot of fun, and it's relatively rare for Toriyama to run two separate plots at the same time. But also is the return of the Dragon Ball Fashion Extravaganza! After this time skip there are a lot of new looks, and I spent quite a bit of time exploring my favorites. I hope you enjoy!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:01 am

I'm loving this YouTube channel. I've had it in my to-watch list for a while now, the over-20-minute length thing was putting it off, but now I can see why it's not less, you really can't have this takes in a 10-minute video. Plus, time flies by.

I love Vegeta's Buu arc outfit. Too bad it didn't stick around.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:19 am

Regarding the Kienzen, it's funny how people associate it with Krillin when he's the least successful user of it.

Vegeta: Cuts of Gohan's tail with it.
Freeza: Defeats the Big Bad of the Namek arc with it.
Eighteen: Defeats Mighty Mask with it.
Goku: Saves Gohan with it.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:31 pm

I doubt 18's Kienzan would've done anything more than bounce off the kids' skin honestly. She's ridiculously weak compared to them and nothing in the manga actually supports the "Kienzan can cut anything regardless of battle power" fanon that has managed to spread like a cancer.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:23 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:31 pm I doubt 18's Kienzan would've done anything more than bounce off the kids' skin honestly. She's ridiculously weak compared to them and nothing in the manga actually supports the "Kienzan can cut anything regardless of battle power" fanon that has managed to spread like a cancer.
1) What makes you believe A18 is weaker than Goten and Trunks? That implies they are stronger than Vegeta and Future Trunks were after 3 years of training for the Androids

2) Even if A18 was weaker substantially to Goten and Trunks, their gap in power is nothing compared to the vastness of Krillin and Second Form Freeza, and Freeza lost a tail against that Kienzan. The kids would've died.
Last edited by FoolsGil on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:01 am

Wasn't the Kienzen blocked in the anime at one point? Could have sworn it was.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:11 am

Kid Buu wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:01 am Wasn't the Kienzen blocked in the anime at one point? Could have sworn it was.
Yeah, twice. First, when Krillin tries it against Cell after he goes Perfect and it just...shatters against his neck like nothing. Then ironically, it happens to Cell later on against Gohan, where he fires two and Gohan just catches and destroys them.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:09 pm

As far as the manga is concerned the Kienzan has never failed to cut its victim, at worst it missed hitting them (againts Nappa).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:02 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:11 am
Kid Buu wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:01 am Wasn't the Kienzen blocked in the anime at one point? Could have sworn it was.
Yeah, twice. First, when Krillin tries it against Cell after he goes Perfect and it just...shatters against his neck like nothing. Then ironically, it happens to Cell later on against Gohan, where he fires two and Gohan just catches and destroys them.
That's right I remember now. Pretty sure one of Garlic's henchmen manages to toss it away too.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 am

Koitsukai wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:01 am I'm loving this YouTube channel. I've had it in my to-watch list for a while now, the over-20-minute length thing was putting it off, but now I can see why it's not less, you really can't have this takes in a 10-minute video. Plus, time flies by.

Thanks for watching! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!
Kid Buu wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:02 pm That's right I remember now. Pretty sure one of Garlic's henchmen manages to toss it away too.
You are correct. It does indeed happen in the Garlic Jr. Arc first.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:03 am

i like vegeta's boo arc outfit a lot but i definitely prefer the anime version where it's more of a two piece, plus baring a few panels most of the time he's drawn with it in the manga the art just looks really bad, so that's probably clouding it to.

also i will not lie, the prospect of hearing you take down majin vegeta a week early is what finally propelled me to become a patron, i've been waiting like 4 years for it lmao.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:56 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:03 amI like vegeta's boo arc outfit a lot but i definitely prefer the anime version where it's more of a two piece, plus baring a few panels most of the time he's drawn with it in the manga the art just looks really bad, so that's probably clouding it to.
The art in this arc as a whole was...not good, to put it nicely. Toei without question saved this arc when it comes to its art and fights.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:34 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 am
Koitsukai wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:01 am I'm loving this YouTube channel. I've had it in my to-watch list for a while now, the over-20-minute length thing was putting it off, but now I can see why it's not less, you really can't have this takes in a 10-minute video. Plus, time flies by.

Thanks for watching! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!
If you start receiving likes from 3-year-old videos, that's probably me!

Also, do you own the original, japanese manga? or do you get the images from a website? if so, which site? It's a great touch to have the original screens, it helps a lot understanding what was the author's actual intent.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/20!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:15 am

The Failure of 'Majin' Vegeta - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 12!

Whew. I'm really excited about this one. Clearly ever since I covered Vegeta's last betrayal two years ago, I've been looking forward to getting into what doesn't work for me about this. And it's kind of the culmination of a journey for me. Back in 2012, I think, I did a Kanzenshuu The Podcast episode on this very topic, but I hadn't really solidified my opinions on it. I knew how I felt, but I didn't know how to express it. So this is my opportunity to make up for that!

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/18/20!)

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:40 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:15 am The Failure of 'Majin' Vegeta - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Majin Boo Arc Part 12!

Whew. I'm really excited about this one. Clearly ever since I covered Vegeta's last betrayal two years ago, I've been looking forward to getting into what doesn't work for me about this. And it's kind of the culmination of a journey for me. Back in 2012, I think, I did a Kanzenshuu The Podcast episode on this very topic, but I hadn't really solidified my opinions on it. I knew how I felt, but I didn't know how to express it. So this is my opportunity to make up for that!
How many parts do you expect this arc to be ? Cell was 18 if I'm not mistaking and this is already two thirds of that and Buu hasn't even shown up yet. Anyway, I've been enjoying this series since I found your channel early this year and I can't wait to see where it goes following this arc. I really hope you'll be able to cover GT next, as it's part of the original run (1984-1997).