MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Post by coola » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:25 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:59 pm
coola wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:09 pm DB Movie 2 was first work with Funimation in house cast? The more you know...Both Bulma and Yamcha sounded good there, so what happened in Season 3? Seems like Funimation philosophy "Doing good on one DB release, screw up next one" was implemented from very beginning :)
Movie 2's dub was more of a test dub, I believe. Hence why a LOT of the cast members from that dub didn't stick around. Out of all of them, only 3 cast members; Sabat, McFarland, & Jackson, were the only ones to return in future dubs of the franchise as permanent cast members. Some returned only in one or a few other things, but nothing permanent. When it came to dubbing the show, I don't think Sabat either thought he was going to voice the character, or he just decided to do something different for Z for whatever reason he had. Thankfully, his Yamcha is WAY better nowadays since the early Z days & he lost the surfer dude accent.

When it comes to their releases, I know you're probably joking, but that's a pretty low way of looking at their DB releases, since only Z has had any consistently bad reviews out of the 4 shows & the movies. Sure, not a lot of their releases for DB have been perfect, but they're at least good, minus most of the Z releases, as I said.
Not sure about DB, but GT Green Bricks had flaws singles didnt have, more blurry picture and missing episode previews. :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:36 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:28 pm What if there was a Rock the Dragon style re-release of the original season 3 dub? Would people buy that? I was just thinking of how they could probably call it something like “The Mondo Cool Collection” or whatever.
Hardcore nostalgia nerds will buy about anything. If people bought the RtD collection, they'd buy a season 3 collection. Shit, go full nostalgia on it and do a full "Toonami run" collection. Use the TV edited episodes, slap a VHS filter on it, add a Cartoon Network logo in the corner and use the old Toonami commercial bumpers.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:21 pm

TheBigBoy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:36 am Hardcore nostalgia nerds will buy about anything. If people bought the RtD collection, they'd buy a season 3 collection. Shit, go full nostalgia on it and do a full "Toonami run" collection. Use the TV edited episodes, slap a VHS filter on it, add a Cartoon Network logo in the corner and use the old Toonami commercial bumpers.
Well, THAT would involve a lot of legal hoop jumping & royalty payments that I don't think FUNi would ever do.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:31 pm

TheBigBoy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:36 am Hardcore nostalgia nerds will buy about anything. If people bought the RtD collection, they'd buy a season 3 collection. Shit, go full nostalgia on it and do a full "Toonami run" collection. Use the TV edited episodes, slap a VHS filter on it, add a Cartoon Network logo in the corner and use the old Toonami commercial bumpers.
to be fair, it's actually pretty common to find strictly nostalgia based dub fans think that the orange brick redub is what aired on toonami in 1999 or just legitimately don't know that there is a difference, where as with the ocean dub, there's almost always been a clear difference between it and the funi dub. so i'm unsure how worth it it would be for funi, i would really love it though because it really is so fascinating too me.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:31 pm To be fair, it's actually pretty common to find strictly nostalgia based dub fans think that the orange brick redub is what aired on toonami in 1999 or just legitimately don't know that there is a difference, where as with the ocean dub, there's almost always been a clear difference between it and the funi dub. so i'm unsure how worth it it would be for funi, i would really love it though because it really is so fascinating too me.
As well as the redub of season 3 is virtually the same as the original, just with better performances rerecorded later with the cast & some recasts of secondary characters for either consistency with the actor pool they had at the time, or just with actors that got replaced in later products for whatever reason at that time, so they probably either don't have those original recordings (I mean, what company actually keeps all alternate takes or old recordings that they deemed of poor quality & replaced at a later date? Especially in the digital age. And, no, I don't think the outtakes that recently came to light really show anything to the contrary considering those actually came out years ago), or they don't see the reason in doing so. I can imagine they junked those recordings years ago after rerecording them.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:59 pm
coola wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:09 pm DB Movie 2 was first work with Funimation in house cast? The more you know...Both Bulma and Yamcha sounded good there, so what happened in Season 3? Seems like Funimation philosophy "Doing good on one DB release, screw up next one" was implemented from very beginning :)
Movie 2's dub was more of a test dub, I believe. Hence why a LOT of the cast members from that dub didn't stick around. Out of all of them, only 3 cast members; Sabat, McFarland, & Jackson, were the only ones to return in future dubs of the franchise as permanent cast members. Some returned only in one or a few other things, but nothing permanent.
I believe Laurie Steele also still works with FUNimation.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:51 am

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:20 pm I believe Laurie Steele also still works with FUNimation.
She does. Didn't see her name on the Wikipedia page or remember it, though, so I didn't think to add her there.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 10/21/19!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 am

How to Fix a Future - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 18!

And here it is. The Cell Arc finally comes to an end. Trunks frees his future for good... it's fine. Nothing else happens to screw it up. We look back on the arc as a whole. And The Cell Arc takes its place in the scoring system.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:29 am

It's funny that the Cell arc is one of the two occasion in Dragon Ball's original story where innocent civilians are killed and not brought back to life.

As you mentioned, this arc would be benefited much more from being planned out, given how complicated it got. But if some of the modern Dragon Ball material is anything to go by, even if Toriyama is given time to chart out a story, there's every chance it may still not be good.

It's a shame that the Majin Boo arc is slotted in last place. I really like that arc, warts and all.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:44 am

i really loved and agreed with your point about trunks, before this year i actually kinda disliked his character just because i thought he was boring and he felt kinda pointless, but in my anime watch i really grew to like him, and it helps his character so much that he's only in this arc. it's just nice to see a dragon ball character to have such a clear arc and once it's done, exit the story.

also yeah, i do find it kinda frustrating to see people say stuff like "oh z is much more of a team story then early dragon ball" or like "well z is much more about gohan/vegeta than goku so it makes sense to split them". because well yeah, characters like gohan and vegeta grow more than goku and are more active then goku, the story never really stops being about goku. even in the boo arc, after like what, the 5th chapter, almost all of the characters actions revolve around goku and what he's doing, and that stays true for most of the arc besides when he goes back to kaioshin's world.

i'm excited to see you tackle the anime freeza arc after i finally saw those episodes this year, there's so much infamous stuff to cover there.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 am

Another great video. Can't wait to see your take on the Freeza TV adaptation.

Speaking personally, while it does have it's high points, the filler mostly detracts from the story rather than enhancing it like it does in the Saiyan arc. And the animation quality takes a huge nosedive in the second half of the arc. I'm not really a fan of it!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 pm

There was a point in time when I considered the Cell arc to be the weakest one in the series, but in hindsight, I’d definitely say that the Boo arc is a lot messier. A lot of people these days seem to hold the Boo arc in fairly high regard, due to it being noticeably sillier than the past five arcs had been, but it does very much embody some of the worst aspects of the Cell arc, and it really does seem like Toriyama was just throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick. Also, for all the complaints about how easily Caulifla and Kale were able to go Super Saiyan, Goten and Trunks being able to casually do it at their extremely young ages is honestly worse.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing you talk about the filler portions of the Freeza arc. That arc had the laziest and most tedious filler moments in the entire series.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:56 pm

I DO agree that this arc has a LOT of problems, & I hate the characters acting stupid at points to make the plot happen, I still enjoy this arc a lot. But, I understand why you don't. If only Toriyama planned out this arc in advance. It would've resulted in better storytelling, but I like that it's constantly on the move, since it's being forced to by the rewrites. As you said, it has an unpredictability for it being always on the move. I appreciate an always moving story as opposed to one that doesn't move much, depending on the length & events of the story I'm experiencing. It's why I love One Piece. Yeah, it's a Jaguar on a treadmill, going nowhere fast, but the plots always have a movement that's decently fast for them. Granted, Oda clearly plans & is able to think on his feet better than Toriyama ever did with Dragon Ball on the whole, but I don't mind Toriyama doing it. However, it was clear Toriyama wanted to end the story or radically change it to be able to move on to something else by this point considering he was clearly done & burnt out, but that was no more clear than in the Buu arc & I think it's worse there.

Speaking of, I've heard Geekdom101 say a while ago that you don't consider the Buu arc that bad, but considering that's your lowest-ranked arc, it's clear that it has more problems.

When it comes to Super, I don't see its stories as stagnant, BUT the storytelling NEEDED work because it's clear that just outlines from Toriyama aren't enough & he SHOULD be a consultant on how the story's told as opposed to just planning the arcs out, since the writers & showrunners Toei hired for the series clearly had NO idea how Toriyama writes some of the characters or executions of some things. The Future Trunks arc IS an example of this, where they clearly had NO idea where everything was going most of the time & didn't have a lot of time to tell the story in a satisfactory way, which lead to a LOT of mediocre payoffs, constant bad shifts in direction, & bad pacing. I don't feel it was bad to bring Future Trunks back, since I'd think most people wouldn't've hated seeing him brought back, but what they did to him & his timeline was really bad & completely undermines the happy ending he had originally. Granted, it's not like his future wouldn't be faced with more threats, but how his arc in Super was handled was really bad, which I think most people agree on. Also, the fact that Super's arcs have no real tension because it's before the last chapter of the manga/last few episodes of Z REALLY holds it back & I hope, because we all know there's more coming at SOME point, that they finally push passed that point & get to actual new stuff that can be exciting.

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:20 pm

I've been looking forward to your Cell arc videos and they definitely didn't disappoint. The arc really did have some great elements...but ultimately I think it had a number of problems hurting it, too.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on the anime version of Freeza. There's definitely more to talk about than the atrocious pacing in the final battle but it's hard to ignore that particular elephant camping out on the sofa.

I ultimately preferred the Cell arc to Buu as well (not a huge fan of either though), though I admit it's partly biased by the combination of really liking Future Trunks and being annoyed by "present" Trunks and Goten.

I'd never thought of the idea of a reprogrammed #8 in place of #16, though I'd definitely noticed the many similarities between the two. It would have been interesting, though.
Scsigs wrote: Yeah, it's a Jaguar on a treadmill, going nowhere fast
I love this turn of phrase. :lol:

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 pm

I think of the Cell arc as a three-piece suit that needed quick mending by a self-employed tailor. The stitching used to mend it is plain to see, and it's cinched tight in a few places, but it's still a good suit fit to wear. (By contrast, the Buu saga is a three-piece suit with a fine waistcoat and decent jacket, but the pants only have one leg that's splitting at the seam.)

And I am a person who uses "ensemble" to describe the Saiyan, Freeza, and Cell arcs, but I do take your point about applying that word when Goku remains - sometimes nominally - the star.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 pm

Wow, that Android 8 idea was something I NEVER considered before.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:05 am

Did you make the Android 8 pictures?

Reminds of that Herms quote that people can't believe Androids being stronger than Gods but random Aliens with no backstory can...

Is Freeza the ultimate Dragon Ball villain? Or is it Broli? Both of them keep coming back. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:33 am

Kid Buu wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:05 am Did you make the Android 8 pictures?
Well, I "made" it in the sense that I attached #8's head to #16's body. But I did not make either of those components, if that's what you're asking. I guess what I can be most proud of is that #8's head was facing the opposite direction in its original picture, so when I mirrored his head, I then switched his facial scars as well because I didn't want to be lazy and get those backwards.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 pm There was a point in time when I considered the Cell arc to be the weakest one in the series, but in hindsight, I’d definitely say that the Boo arc is a lot messier. A lot of people these days seem to hold the Boo arc in fairly high regard, due to it being noticeably sillier than the past five arcs had been, but it does very much embody some of the worst aspects of the Cell arc, and it really does seem like Toriyama was just throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick. Also, for all the complaints about how easily Caulifla and Kale were able to go Super Saiyan, Goten and Trunks being able to casually do it at their extremely young ages is honestly worse.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing you talk about the filler portions of the Freeza arc. That arc had the laziest and most tedious filler moments in the entire series.
I think people have more of a problem that Caulifla and Kale turned SS2 seconds after learning what SS1 even was. It’s not really the same as Goten and Trunks.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 pm

>Cell arc better than Buu arc

Of course you realize, this means war.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.