MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:35 pm

I never said he didn't check. I said he didn't "make sure Goku was dead." Since Goku survived, that's not making sure he was dead. Making sure he was dead would mean that Piccolo would actually kill him, and he would be dead. Whether it's because Piccolo is not a doctor, Goku has magic plot-restorative powers, or any other reason doesn't make any difference. You can argue whether or not it's justifiable, but the fact of the matter is, Piccolo was wrong. He failed to make sure Goku was dead.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:09 pm

What you expect him to do? Heart stopped beating. When that happens anyone would think Goku was dead. You want him to Stand over Goku for hours to make sure he's dead? Piccolo nailed him and Goku heart stop
Piccolo didn't assume Goku was there. He walked a check his heart beat. How's that failing? It's better than Piccolo just walking away without checking.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:24 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:What you expect him to do? Heart stopped beating. When that happens anyone would think Goku was dead. You want him to Stand over Goku for hours to make sure he's dead? Piccolo nailed him and Goku heart stop
Piccolo didn't assume Goku was there. He walked a check his heart beat. How's that failing? It's better than Piccolo just walking away without checking.
He could have just blown him up.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Haha, I'm not even sure I get what the point of this debate is anymore. I mean, what else can I say? Piccolo went to ascertain whether or not Goku was dead. He decided Goku was dead. Goku was not dead. I can't really imagine a more clear-cut example of someone failing to do what they set out to do. Again, nothing I'm saying in this post is necessarily asserting there wasn't *any* justification in thinking that, but you can't deny that in the Great "Is Son Goku Dead?" Question of Age 753, Piccolo failed to answer the question correctly.

Yes, and what Kamiccolo9 said. That would have been quite simple and effective.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Piccolo later fixed that mistake at 23rd Budokai, by trying to blown Goku up, first immobilizing him :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Also, I decided to follow this trail all the way back to when it started just so I could figure out what the point of this was, and it began with RandomGuy96 saying that Piccolo's reason for his wish was for power. I said that he wouldn't have needed the power at all if he had just "made sure Goku was dead." As in, if he had made sure Goku was dead, Goku would have been dead. Therefore, Goku wouldn't have gotten a chance to get a power-up, and no one would have rivaled Piccolo's strength, even when he was old. But since Goku was alive, he did get a power-up, and he did kill Piccolo. So... since all of those things happened, and all of them happened because Goku was alive, I have to assume that Piccolo did not make sure Goku was dead. :D

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Also, I decided to follow this trail all the way back to when it started just so I could figure out what the point of this was, and it began with RandomGuy96 saying that Piccolo's reason for his wish was for power. I said that he wouldn't have needed the power at all if he had just "made sure Goku was dead." As in, if he had made sure Goku was dead, Goku would have been dead. Therefore, Goku wouldn't have gotten a chance to get a power-up, and no one would have rivaled Piccolo's strength, even when he was old. But since Goku was alive, he did get a power-up, and he did kill Piccolo. So... since all of those things happened, and all of them happened because Goku was alive, I have to assume that Piccolo did not make sure Goku was dead. :D
Also, for when review the anime, it is said the reason why Tenshinhan survived the mafuba is because Daimao interrupted it, and Tenshinhan was the reason Goku didn't lose to Daimao.

Anime Daimao made a huge mistake saving Tenshinan.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:10 pm

coola wrote:Piccolo later fixed that mistake at 23rd Budokai, by trying to blown Goku up, first immobilizing him :)
See? All problems can be solved by blowing stuff up.

Nappa and Fat Buu did even better: they got people to blow themselves up. Truly strategic masterminds.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Anime Daimao made a huge mistake saving Tenshinan.
Good point. It reminds me that it was also something of a mistake for Piccolo to apparently forget about his whole "Kill all the martial artists" plan. As far as the manga goes, Piccolo was apparently very lucky that Tenshinhan was stupid enough not to make sure his denshi jar didn't have a hole in it. :wink:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:See? All problems can be solved by blowing stuff up.

Nappa and Fat Buu did even better: they got people to blow themselves up. Truly strategic masterminds.
Haha, yeah, that is brilliant. Good point.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Question. How come Tao didn't get heat for not making sure Goku was dead? Least Piccolo checked and felt zero heartbeats (thus checking for life. How often you get up after no heartbeat). Tao just took the ball and left.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
coola wrote:Piccolo later fixed that mistake at 23rd Budokai, by trying to blown Goku up, first immobilizing him :)
See? All problems can be solved by blowing stuff up.

Yamcha did this too, but it didn't go so well in his case. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm not giving him heat for that. Piccolo and Tao Pai Pai aren't real people. I know that sounds like an obvious thing to say or maybe even like I'm insulting you or insinuating you don't understand that. But you have to remember that I largely look at and analyze things from an out-of-universe perspective. As in, how does the writing hold up? And in this case, Piccolo is in a position in the story that's already happened before almost verbatim. So that already puts this scene in a position where it has to top what came before it because the deck is already stacked against it. So while, yes, checking for a heartbeat is a good indicator of whether or not someone is alive, the fact that he could do that and *still* be wrong does not put him in a position that makes him look very good or intelligent.

Plus, there's the fact that, in the context of this quote you picked up on, I was talking about Piccolo's wish, not this scene itself (although it is fair to bring up, since in an earlier video, I did criticize that scene, and I stand by it. I think it's a poor scene overall because it's a poor substitute of a scene that's already happened, Piccolo lacks the ability to ascertain if someone is alive or not, and/or Goku can just magically heal himself). So the fact that Piccolo didn't make sure Goku was dead is kind of a big deal since his plan was to eradicate martial artists anyway. And then it's a plan he apparently forgot or discarded. Like I said a post or so ago, it was very lucky for him that Tenshinhan's denshi jar had a hole in it. It was less lucky for him that Goku wasn't dead. His multiple plans covered all bases, but he was very, very sloppy with most them.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Wait a second, Korin predicted Daimao to win correct? Wouldn't he be correct, given that barring any outside interference, Daimao would have won?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Personally, my only problem with Tao Pai Pai not making sure that Goku is dead, is that he is supposed to be professional assassin, with 20 years worth of experience, so he should be sure he gets job done, especially since he was payed to do so, oh well, if we expect logic from villains, DB, and lots of other anime would end very soon :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Piccolo did make sure Goku was dead, because that's what it means for one's heart to be stopped - you're clinically dead. It's possible even in real life to come back from that, but Piccolo was still 100% right. Of course blowing Goku up would have been even more sure, but Piccolo has no reason to think that's necessary or even has any point at all.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Clinical death is not the same thing as actual death. A person can be conscious and be clinically dead. That's just playing semantics not to mention it seems to be missing the point. I mean, good grief. Don't make me break out the Monty Python dead parrot skit here. I find it highly unlikely Piccolo was trying to ascertain if Goku was clinically dead as opposed to actually dead. A dead Goku most likely would not have been able to thwart Piccolo's plans over a day later. :)

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:39 am

Regarding the Pu'erh discussion from yesterday, I found this interview where he refers to the character in a male fashion:
Question #2
Nobukatsu Sekigawa (Kanagawa Prefecture):
I like Pu’er. I told my brother that Pu’er is a cat and he told me that Pu’er is a mouse. Who is right?

Akira Toriyama:
Actually, Pu’er is neither a cat nor a mouse, but I draw him a little bit like a cat.
So what animal is he?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:08 am

Kid Buu wrote:Regarding the Pu'erh discussion from yesterday, I found this interview where he refers to the character in a male fashion:
Question #2
Nobukatsu Sekigawa (Kanagawa Prefecture):
I like Pu’er. I told my brother that Pu’er is a cat and he told me that Pu’er is a mouse. Who is right?

Akira Toriyama:
Actually, Pu’er is neither a cat nor a mouse, but I draw him a little bit like a cat.
So what animal is he?
IU IN avatar they're animals like the dog-bear or peguin-turtke. Maybe puer a mousecat?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:18 am

That's true. Toriyama has really convincing character designs, unlike Oda.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:09 am

Kid Buu wrote:That's true. Toriyama has really convincing character designs, unlike Oda.
Hey, I like Oda's character designs! :problem:

Anyways I'm really enjoying the Dragon Ball Dissections so far MistareFusion! Keep up the good work! Given that you didn't rate the Piccolo Daimou arc the lowest ranking, it makes me really curious as to what arc that special designation will go... Also, since you're reviewing the anime as well as the manga for your dissections, are you planning on reviewing the anime arcs in multiple parts like your manga reviews or are you going to go over them quickly in a one video per arc style?