Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Re: Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Post by bkev » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:49 pm

When left to their own devices Toei does weird things like this. Green haired Kaiba is one instance of said bizarro.

And, on that note: the Raditz-colored armor fits Nappa better too!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 am

Last incorrect Vegeta for now:
Admiring how his incorrect colors were able to make it all the way to Namek! :lol:
bkev wrote:When left to their own devices Toei does weird things like this. Green haired Kaiba is one instance of said bizarro.

And, on that note: the Raditz-colored armor fits Nappa better too!
Yeah, and there were lots of recolors in Fist of The North Star. Light green haired Rei being the most prominent example:

Manga:
Anime:

I also agree on Radditz colored Nappa. I think that one would have been okay to leave incorrect if Toei hadn't bothered to fix it (as they did in his first scene in Kai, and I think it works so well that I didn't even notice it was incorrect there at first).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:07 am

Metalwario64 wrote:No offense, but I don't think that's very good. There are parts with the original images colors all around the edges.
Yeah, that was bothering me too.
I decided to try and do this myself, and here's the result of about 30 minutes of work:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... olored.jpg
This is defienetely the way to go about these kind of edits.
Good job.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Redid this shot of Kulilin, because I can't believe I forgot to do Bulma as well:

Here are some more of Bulma:

Here's one that took some time. It's from the DB season sets, and as such, had lots of color bleeding. That would have made things a challenge, as her hair was bleeding into the wall pretty badly, so I took the time to remove as much color bleeding from the image as possible by hand. I really like the outcome:

Here's the original shot for reference:

Also, as for why the hair color is different between shots, well I tried to match the colors based on the source used for the screenshots. Kai's colors are lighter and more pastel, so I made her hair such for the Kai shot. The Dragon Boxes have more vibrant colors, so I made the purple more vibrant, and FUNimation's colors are saturated and pushed towards blue (green really, you can see the yellow tone of the skin), so I made her hair a bit more blue.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

That's pretty cool. I think I actually prefer Bulma's purple hair.

Any chance you could do Piccolo with the yellow instead of the pink?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Sure:

I'm not sure if his belt is supposed to be red, because I've seen manga images with his belt blue, and some with his belt being red.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Don't forget the orange Kame dogi! :D
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Don't forget the orange Kame dogi! :D
Here:

That's also a good shot to get lots of manga colors in one shot. Had to move the pupil in Kulilin's left eye a bit to the right, because I couldn't get the whites of his eyes to look natural any other way. Also, not sure if Gohan's outfit or the Turtle Hermits are supposed to be any different here.

Original:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm

I dislike purple haired Bulma a lot!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Really great job Metal! This is a super fun thread. Can we see some blue Karin?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Blue Karin:

Yellow Karin (from the 1987 Dragon Ball Calendar):

I've read he was also brown at one point, but I have no image references for that.

Also, incorrectly colored Vegeta vs. Goku:
I used a Dragon Box shot for reference in this shot. This means his hair is a much brighter red color as opposed to the brown from FUNimation's footage (and the cels apparently).

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 pm

For some odd reason, I love miscoloured Vegeta!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 am

Incorrect Freeza-arc Vegeta:
(Click for full size)

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 am

I adore Karin with that blue color scheme, I really think we missed out. That was a neato treat, thanks!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:37 am

Metalwario64 wrote: I've read he was also brown at one point, but I have no image references for that.
http://comic.dragonballcn.com:1080/list ... -FyJTY.jpg

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 am

Metalwario64 wrote: I'm not sure if his belt is supposed to be red, because I've seen manga images with his belt blue, and some with his belt being red.
In a couple of panels (in full-color pages) Piccolo's belt for some reason has the same color as Bulma's hair (violet). Apart from that, his belt is always red, including cover art from the very same volumes where he appeared with violet belt. So your best bet would be that Piccolo's belt is actually red.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:47 am

Brown Karin:

Young Goku with Manga Colors:

Now this is probably something more in line with the original intent of the thread:
DBZ Goku with DB Anime Colors:

Here's the original image for comparisons sake:

What DB colored Goku in Z as a Super Saiyan might have looked like:
Click for full size

Also, for those of you wanting adult Z Kulilin with white eyes, I'd forgotten that Toei had already done this at one point:
:lol:

Other images:

Manga Piccolo:

Manga Gohan and Piccolo:

Incorrect Vegetto?!:
Click for full size

(Hope Rocketman doesn't kill me for this...)

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:29 am

Haha original DB color SSJ Goku looks SO boss. The black and gold works super well. This thread is the best thing, YOU are the best thing.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 am

Wow, you are really good at this, metalwario
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:55 am

The color job is amazing! The changes do not look fake at all.

I demand for grey Piccolo.

White-haired Super Saiyan

And red-haired Super Saiyan
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?