Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Re: Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:59 am

I know it's not from the manga but how about some shots of Super Saiyans with red pupils like on that Toriyama sketch?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:21 pm

I greatly appreciate all of the compliments. Some of these are legitimately a bit challenging for me (I ain't really a 'shoppin' pro or anything, just experienced), but at least I have fun doing them. :)
Akumaito Beam wrote:I know it's not from the manga but how about some shots of Super Saiyans with red pupils like on that Toriyama sketch?
Here's some, and what better way than to start with a couple of movie 5 shots?:

Also, SHINOBI-03, I'll get to those images next.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Super Saiyan with red pupils looks so cool. :)
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:28 pm

I'd like to see a mis-colored Buu saga Vegeta. :P

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Those red-pupiled Super Saiyans look really cool.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Super Saiyan with red pupils looks so cool. :)
funrush wrote:Those red-pupiled Super Saiyans look really cool.
Rrrrrrngh, I know. I wish that had been the universally-adopted look for the form. Really helps emphasize the "rage" aspect of the transformation.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:41 pm

I guess I'm the only one that prefers them as cyan in color? lol Red eyes are normally associated with vampires, werewolves, and other such monsters and demons. I don't really think it works that well. I mean, yeah, it helps to emphasize the rage and almost makes them look evil...but that part of the form eventually all but drops out.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I'd like to see a mis-colored Buu saga Vegeta. :P
I've been making all of these edits with images I had on my hard drive already. As such, this is the best I could come up with for now:

I'll take some more shots when I get around to getting the shots needed for SHINOBI-03's requests. Also, I'm gonna have to tweak some of the incorrect Vegeta ones, as I forgot that the boots were supposed to be the same shade of orange as the armor, as opposed to the more yellowish orange of the gloves. With all of the different shades used, I would have expected many times more color errors for Vegeta's outfit throughout the series, had we gotten those colors for the duration.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:15 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I guess I'm the only one that prefers them as cyan in color? lol Red eyes are normally associated with vampires, werewolves, and other such monsters and demons. I don't really think it works that well. I mean, yeah, it helps to emphasize the rage and almost makes them look evil...but that part of the form eventually all but drops out.
I think that's what makes it so great. Imagine SSJ Goku and SSJ Gohan just chilling by the lake in those filler episodes.I think one glance would really get across their goal of trying to normalize the form and not make it a big deal. I might go so far as to say being able to turn that form on and off like a tap might be even more impressive if we were confronted with a visual representation of how scary and evil that form used to be every time it happens.

Edit-
Oh shit, imagine Freeza's "T-those eyes!" scene.

I'm pretty psyched on those red eyes! Another great batch Metal.

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:White-haired Super Saiyan
*snip*

I attempted it, didn't turn out great though.
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:I think that's what makes it so great. Imagine SSJ Goku and SSJ Gohan just chilling by the lake in those filler episodes.I think one glance would really get across their goal of trying to normalize the form and not make it a big deal. I might go so far as to say being able to turn that form on and off like a tap might be even more impressive if we were confronted with a visual representation of how scary and evil that form used to be every time it happens.
I think one glance would just make it look awkward, because the eye shapes alone accomplish that goal, at least in my opinion. Plus, it would go beyond ridiculous with Goten, Trunks and Gotenks running around as normal children, completely unaffected by the form, despite having the red demon-rage eyes.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 pm

I think we'll have to agree to disagree because red eyed Goten and Trunks sounds fantastic to me. I think it would really help to show how far the Super Saiyan form has come over the years. The absurdity would be great for a little chuckle and it would be really in sync with the rest of the Boo arc. Guess we're just on a different page! :P

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:01 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I guess I'm the only one that prefers them as cyan in color? lol Red eyes are normally associated with vampires, werewolves, and other such monsters and demons. I don't really think it works that well. I mean, yeah, it helps to emphasize the rage and almost makes them look evil...but that part of the form eventually all but drops out.
Even though red eyes look cool in those pics, I prefer the cyan color too. The red eyes appear in the Oozaru early transformation stage besides, it makes Oozaru look like the "evil" transformation (red eyes) and the Super Saiyan the "good" transformation (cyan eyes).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:Haha original DB color SSJ Goku looks SO boss. The black and gold works super well. This thread is the best thing, YOU are the best thing.
Yes, I agree. I prefer DB coloured Goku over his DBZ colour palette.

The red eyes suit the form more! I agree with how far the form comes afterwords.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:The color job is amazing! The changes do not look fake at all.

And red-haired Super Saiyan
Here we go. Man, my brain is not working with PS :p

[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Blue Super Saiyans is only on the 2008 OVA or were there more?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I demand for grey Piccolo.

White-haired Super Saiyan

And red-haired Super Saiyan
I wasn't sure how far you wanted me to go with these, so I have a few variations for each. Also, I tried to get the closest shots the anime had to those manga images, but the Trunks one had many different camera angles, so I got the best one from that scene, and I also took another Trunks one to make up for it.

Anyway, here they are:

Grey Piccolo:

White Haired Super Saiyan Goku:
(Click for full size)
(Click for full size)

Red haired Trunks:

Also, another DB anime Super Saiyan Goku:
(Click for full size)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:14 am

Red hair Trunks = WIN

Red eyed SSJ = WIN
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: White Haired Super Saiyan Goku:
(Click for full size)
(Click for full size)
That looks like grey to me.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm

I figured: why not go the whole way with the edit? So I went back and gave him his darker skin from the manga, and lightened the hair some more:
(Click for full size)

Does that look more white?