Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Original Toei Color REVENGE! (Potentially image heavy)

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 am

During the merger downtime, I did a boatload more of these:

Manga Goku and Gohan:

Manga Goku:

Dragon Ball anime Goku:

Random recolor I wanted to attempt with my layers from the previous two images. For some reason I like these colors, maybe because I had the outfit from the end of Z in mind:

Redone Manga Kulilin (with entire palette from the manga as opposed to just the white eyes from the earlier image):

Dragon Ball anime Goku camera pan:
(Click for full size)

Manga Goku camera pan:
(Click for full size)

Dragon Ball anime Super Saiyan Goku:

Limited color white haired Super Saiyan Goku:

Manga Piccolo and Gohan:

Manga Piccolo and Gohan camera pan:
(Click for full size)

Now here's my favorite one so far! Dragon Ball anime colored Goku vs. Miscolored anime Vegeta:

Really happy at how this one turned out! I also corrected the sky color to blue (this shot was from Kai, which has a much greener sky than Z), and I'm overall most happy with this one so far!

Here's the original for comparison
:

And lastly, here's the same shot with Manga colored Goku:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Random recolor I wanted to attempt with my layers from the previous two images. For some reason I like these colors, maybe because I had the outfit from the end of Z in mind:
That reminds me of a Korean tankobon release:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:30 pm

kei17 wrote:Image
What the fuck is going on with the colors!?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:43 pm

kei17 wrote:*Korean cover removed*
Oh my goodness... I was contemplating on not posting my Goku recolor, since it's kind of off-topic, but now I'm very glad I did... in a way...

Goku looks good (I like those colors on him!), and Gohan is decent, but... ...that Piccolo is seriously creeping me out! He looks like some weird failed biological experiment or something, especially with the battel damage!

...Now I want to make recolors featuring those colors! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:55 pm

I love all the anime coloured versions like Goku in the darker Red and Black.

The manga Goku and Gohan look horrible! Thank god they never used those colours!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:18 am

I don't mind green Gohan too much, even if he does look like he's ready for X-Mas 24/7! :lol: It does sort of nullify the effect of him taking on Piccolo's uniform though.

Still loving black and orange Goku. It's a real shame they didn't keep that up. The light blue on green doesn't look half bad either.

Here's a few obscure challenges if you're up to them.

Blue haired Chi Chi as seen in Weekly Jump 37 (page 63 of the first Daizenshuu).

Orange haired and red eyed transformed Lunch as seen in DragonBall Adventure Special. (page 54 of Daizenshuu 1)

White Kaio as seen on the manga spine art and page 131 of Daizenshuu 1.

Also yeah, you totally need to do that "monstrosity formally known as Piccolo" color scheme.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:...Now I want to make recolors featuring those colors! :lol:
I scanned more covers for you! :)

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Well... Now I have no shortage of recolors to attempt. :lol:

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 pm

I like Bulma and Goku's rosey red cheeks on the second cover! :lol:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Jesus, did they just pull those colours of a hat?! :shock:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 pm

I would like to see someone recolor Kaioshin and Kibito from the anime to look like the colors that they had on the Kanzenban cover.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Those colours look horrible! I think I'm developing a gag reflex at those eyesores!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:36 pm

I've also got a horrible pirated manga release in China:

Here's my attempt. Yuck!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:04 pm

What the hell is wrong with Kuririn's head?! :?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:10 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:What the hell is wrong with Kuririn's head?! :?
He's angry because he's losing at Tetris on his Gameboy, and 18's hair is reflecting off of his head.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:16 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:What the hell is wrong with Kuririn's head?! :?
To show us that he shaves his head.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Great job Kei! I actually don't think the black on yellow looks all too horrible at all. That being said I can't really defend the rest of the color scheme. :lol:

I'm loving all of this odd art you're showing us.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Seriously, i love these pictures.
Could someone do Uub?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:13 pm

I would like to see someone color Majin Buu blue. I thought it would be a neat color to see on Buu for some odd reason?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Krillin with eyes for the win! He looks so much better! Super saiyans with red eyes is also a win!