Dragonball Z: Saiyan Saga - Help make this happen!

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: Dragonball Z: Saiyan Saga - Help make this happen!

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:27 pm

It seems they're dedicated to making this project a faithful adaptation. I'm interested to see how it all rolls out.
So mondo lame.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Anyone commenting on Live Action Dragon Ball (Z) should probably watch this one, too, if they haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-r4B0Fa_-s

It's not that it can't be done faithfully as humanly possible. It'd just look ridiculous.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh man.
I'm actually psyched for this.
If Street Fighter Legacy was any indication that these fan films WORK, then I am psyched.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Street Fighter was good, but I think the characters will always look silly if they look 100% as they do in the series. I knew that they would change the characters designs for a live action DB movie but I still think they could have keep Goku's hair and had Piccolo still look like Piccolo in DBE.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Street Fighter was good, but I think the characters will always look silly if they look 100% as they do in the series. I knew that they would change the characters designs for a live action DB movie but I still think they could have keep Goku's hair and had Piccolo still look like Piccolo in DBE.
I actually have no qualms with the costuming in DBE. I feel it's actually one of the movie's strong points. You can't get that Goku hair to work in live action without looking ridiculous so they went for a more sensible styling. Piccolo looked like Piccolo. His green tint could've been a bit darker, but eh.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Street Fighter was good, but I think the characters will always look silly if they look 100% as they do in the series. I knew that they would change the characters designs for a live action DB movie but I still think they could have keep Goku's hair and had Piccolo still look like Piccolo in DBE.
I actually have no qualms with the costuming in DBE. I feel it's actually one of the movie's strong points. You can't get that Goku hair to work in live action without looking ridiculous so they went for a more sensible styling. Piccolo looked like Piccolo. His green tint could've been a bit darker, but eh.
Agreement.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:23 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Piccolo looked like Piccolo. His green tint could've been a bit darker, but eh.
To me this fan made image that has been on the internet for almost a decade looks more like Piccolo then the Piccolo that we got in the movie.

She/Her

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 pm

They seem to have faith in it and know what they're doing, unlike James Wong. I'd like to see how this'll turn out. I saw the animated trailer, it looks like they've used scenes from Kai for it. I can't wait to see what they'll do with the live action trailer they intend to make. :)
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am

This is looking promising. I am just worried that it might turn out more cheesy than badass at the end of the day and I hope that this is not so.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:58 am

It's going to be hard to make DB into live action not making feel cheesy. I always feel like a DB movie based on the Saiyan Saga would make more sense to doing a movie with Piccolo as the villain since more people are familiar with DBZ then the Dragon Ball story with Goku as a kid. I remember the comments for the DBE trailer on Yahoo had people saying "I thought Piccolo was a good guy not a bad guy?".

People have said "What about Goku's origins if they do a movie based off on the Saiyan Saga?", I would have deal with the whole back story in the intro credits similar to the recent Hulk movie with Edward Norton.
She/Her

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:34 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Piccolo looked like Piccolo. His green tint could've been a bit darker, but eh.
To me this fan made image that has been on the internet for almost a decade looks more like Piccolo then the Piccolo that we got in the movie.

Does anyone know where this fan art came from in the first place? It's always intrigued me..The mystery of a real life Piccolo.

Anyways, I'm very curious to see this trailer.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:27 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: People have said "What about Goku's origins if they do a movie based off on the Saiyan Saga?", I would have deal with the whole back story in the intro credits similar to the recent Hulk movie with Edward Norton.
Or the first few minutes of Kai.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:

The Piccolo in DBE isn't supposed to be that Piccolo.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Very intriguing. I really am looking forward to how this trailer will turn out. Love these guys' dedication! :)

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Their recent update is very interesting. Some of the Characters are great, especially Piccolo. Also, that 30 seconds of footage at the end is probably better than the whole of DB:E.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 pm

SSJSteve wrote:Their recent update is very interesting. Some of the Characters are great, especially Piccolo. Also, that 30 seconds of footage at the end is probably better than the whole of DB:E.
I actually think Piccolo looks terrible. The paint doesn't stand out against his skin, and looks very dark.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

I wish them luck, especially knowing how Dragon Ball fans can be very fanatical at times.

It's interesting that they are having a Japanese guy play Raditz. I like the guy playing Vegeta.

Still, Piccolo's actor is too short. How else will he be known as Big Green?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 am

I guess Yamcha couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to use the Kamehameha or the Sokidan... :/

My hopes for this project aren't much higher than they were for DBE. Even if they stick closer to the source material (not that I even think they should), its the little details they miss that will disappoint me, like the proper forming and firing of a technique.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:11 am

Jackal puFF wrote:
Does anyone know where this fan art came from in the first place? It's always intrigued me..The mystery of a real life Piccolo.
I'm pretty sure it's fan made because I don't think it was officially made from 20th Century Fox? I guess it's like the AF SSj5 Goku image, it's fan art just made by a unknown artist that we will never find out about. As for the new video update, it looks alright for a low budget film. I will give them credit for doing their best with a small budget.
She/Her

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:24 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: I actually think Piccolo looks terrible. The paint doesn't stand out against his skin, and looks very dark.
What they showed in the preview was still a work in progress, there's going to be more to see then what they showed.

Let's not make any quick judgments until we see the final product.
Last edited by Son Geeko on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.