Dragonball Z: Saiyan Saga - Help make this happen!

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragonball Z: Saiyan Saga - Help make this happen!

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:53 pm

The Goku pics on db legends are really good. He actually looks like Goku. Vegeta's hair kind of looks like this Image Hopefully looks beter in the final product.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:59 pm

To be honest, I really wouldn't mind if in a live action adaption of Dragon Ball, the hair wasn't crafted to replicate the original. They can leave the widows peak but I think the actual height of his hair should be more reasonable.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am

I would aim in the GT direction. It's shorter and more reasonable to work with in real life. The longer the better sure, but this just looks silly.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:44 pm

So are they planning on making Vegeta's armor CG? With the amount of money they have that is far from a good idea.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00 pm

I would not worry about Vegeta's hair in that picture...

Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 pm

That's supposed to reassure people? :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Point being it was just a bad photo taken with Vegeta's reveal. If anything should reassure people is the fact that this isn't an official professional production and is just being made by fans.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 am

I like the Vegeta hairstyle in the latest picture, it's about as good as they could make it look. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:15 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Piccolo looked like Piccolo. His green tint could've been a bit darker, but eh.
To me this fan made image that has been on the internet for almost a decade looks more like Piccolo then the Piccolo that we got in the movie.

The Piccolo in DBE isn't supposed to be that Piccolo.
The Piccolo in DBE doesn't look like the one it's supposed to represent either.

In my opinion DBE got nothing right, not a goddamn thing. This is coming from someone who gave DBE the benefit of the doubt before I saw it and I really tried to be optimistic.

From what I've seen so far of this Saiyan Saga Trailer project I really like it; If fans like these would've been involved in DBE it would've been a lot more faithful.

I'm not completely sold on all the hairstyles and costumes and I agree with whoever said that it shouldn't be too hard to pull off a Tokyo Hotel style haircut for someone like Raditz, for example. Vegeta's hairstyle on the other hand is damn near impossible to pull off convincingly, because in the source material he has this kind of receding hairline looking thing going on while still having this huge bush pointing up. Thinking about it and looking at the picture Avenged put up I think they come pretty close.

Ultimately, I'm fairly confident everything will look better after it's touched up in post-production. I'm not going to complain about the lack of cloth below the armpit or a missing wristband, lol.
Granted, it would be nice to have these little details, but that won't be the thing to make or break this project. At least not to me. In the end, the characters pretty much look like the characters.
What looked spot on to me, at least so far, are Tenshinhan, Kuririn and Yamucha. At the end of the day some things will look cheesy and you have to take that for granted if you're trying to adapt something like the DragonBall universe to live action faithfully. Even if you have a multimillion dollar budget; some stuff will look cheesy.

About the legal issues; some of you guys posting your concerns here seem to be experts on the matter and while raising some good questions I do see this as a relatively harmless project and don't expect/hope for this to become a huge issue anywhere down the line. I agree that it would be nice if we - or at least the people that financially supported this project - to receive some kind of 'receipt' to have an idea what the budget was spent on.

I just can't wait for this thing to be finished. Although this is not as big as Mortal Kombat Legacy was, who knows what might come of this? Wishful thinking, I know ;)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 am

Avenged wrote:I would not worry about Vegeta's hair in that picture...

That looks pretty good. Certainly better then that other hairstyle.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:01 pm

What do you guys think about the Saiyans being asian? Nappa looks perfect as a caucasian, yet Goku, Vegeta, and Raditz are a different race than Nappa now?

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Ofcourse the Saiyans are supposed to look asian. Like most anime characters..

Nappa probably was intended to look like an american wrestler like satan was.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:07 pm

TRL wrote:Ofcourse the Saiyans are supposed to look asian. Like most anime characters..

Nappa probably was intended to look like an american wrestler like satan was.
Most anime characters look like anime characters in my opinion. Saiyans are aliens and should therefore be represented by a different race than the Earthlings in my opinion. Nappa looks great as a caucasian no problem there, yet shouldn't he be the race of the other Saiyans? That would definitely be more consistent, and given Nappa looks better I'd go with his race instead of the other way around, a race with big eyes should look more accurate no?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

TRL wrote:Ofcourse the Saiyans are supposed to look asian. Like most anime characters..
Says who? Most anime character don't look like any specific ethnicity. Oda has specifically said that Luffy would be Brazilian in the real world, but I sure don't see him looking like that in One Piece. With the way Toriyama draws his characters, the Saiyans definitely lack the features he attributes to most of his Asian characters (traits, not colors), which makes sense seeing how they are space monkeys, not human earthlings.

Koda'd
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:14 pm

SSJSteve wrote:Video Update 3
This already looks a million times better than DB:E. It's great that these guys are doing this. I look forward to seeing more of these updates.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:02 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Says who? Most anime character don't look like any specific ethnicity. Oda has specifically said that Luffy would be Brazilian in the real world, but I sure don't see him looking like that in One Piece. With the way Toriyama draws his characters, the Saiyans definitely lack the features he attributes to most of his Asian characters (traits, not colors), which makes sense seeing how they are space monkeys, not human earthlings.

Koda'd
Well I interpret the Saiyans to of Asian decent as I find there armor to be reminiscent to the Samurai. I can't really name all the features as I do know the names of them, but the shoulders and below the torso (the pads that cover the groin and upper thighs) all look eerily similar to Samurai armor.(Think Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta's original arrival outfits.) So from this, I can only assume what their "race" would be, judging by maybe their design inspiration, along with the origin of said inspiration. However this is all my interpretation so I'm not trying to pass this around as fact and for all we know Toriyama could have just made it up himself.

Not to mention, since the Dragon World is heavily influenced on Eastern culture (especially Chinese influence in the early chapters.), its easy to assume that most of the character would be Asian since there in a world surrounded by primarily Japanese customs (excluding the language and text of course).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:What do you guys think about the Saiyans being asian? Nappa looks perfect as a caucasian, yet Goku, Vegeta, and Raditz are a different race than Nappa now?
I don't think it really matters what race the actor is as long as they can play the character. I've always thought of Goku as East Asian and Vegeta as White, though.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Makaioshin wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:What do you guys think about the Saiyans being asian? Nappa looks perfect as a caucasian, yet Goku, Vegeta, and Raditz are a different race than Nappa now?
I don't think it really matters what race the actor is as long as they can play the character. I've always thought of Goku as East Asian and Vegeta as White, though.
Agreed. I don't think race should matter as long as they can long like them and act like them.

they posted their 3rd video update btw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... h7QSDY0Uqs

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:
Agreed. I don't think race should matter as long as they can long like them and act like them.

they posted their 3rd video update btw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... h7QSDY0Uqs
Scroll up.

And I wasn't impressed with this update, only thing I found worthy was a better view of how Vegeta's hair would look.