Cosplay

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rockette

Cosplay

Post by Rockette » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:40 am

Any of you guys cosplayers? Photographers? Just like to watch?

Cosplay, for me, is my number one hobby. I like to draw and such, but nothing scratches the itch quite like costume construction. I didn't see another live thread like this one, so let's go ahead and kick things off.

It doesn't have to be Master Level or professionally snapped; it's all good! So start posting! I'm really psyched to see who else is out there, because my corner of the world is pretty bare. I just don't want to be the first to start cam whoring.
A one hour workout is only 4% of your day. No excuses.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Cosplay

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:46 am

I've considered it before but not for Dragon Ball characters.

Besides even if I did want to cosplay, I don't have the right body structure for any characters I'd want to dress up as and I'd look ridiculous in the end result.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Rockette

Post by Rockette » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:17 pm

pfffftt! It's cosplay, dude, we look ridiculous anyway.

Joking aside, you shouldn't limit yourself based on what's the right "body type." If that was the case only skinny Asian girls would be in this business. The best Rikku I've seen was a black girl, and I've seen a man made such a perfect Maleficent that I didn't even notice he wasn't a woman!

Okay, I'll go first.

I based this one off an Olympics poster that I can't seem to find again. Since it's Olympics time again I thought it would be cute.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Oh my you're cute :D I've never been to a Cosplay but I would love to go to one :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm

I've never went or dressed a cosplay costume, but if I were to, it'd be what Gohan's wearing:

http://www.buycosplayoutfit.com/gohan-c ... stume.html

They have for all sizes and mine's about L (1.70cm), I guess you could say it's for actual teens. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:15 pm

@dbboxkaifan, you'll love this:

Rockette

Post by Rockette » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Ya'll are breaking my heart! Although, given some of the posts, it makes me wonder what's holding you guys back. No conventions in your area, no one to do it with, image issues? Just don't know where to start?
dbboxkaifan wrote:I've never went or dressed a cosplay costume, but if I were to, it'd be what Gohan's wearing:

I know it looks like a daunting task, but I would try to make it myself before I bought it, even if I were just starting out. I think you'll be disappointed in most pre-made costumes.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:36 pm

There's not a super-huge cosplay contingency here (not that anyone's shooing them away, or anything!), but a few of them come and go in waves. QuantumDestiny & Co. are probably the most prolific, and it's always great to see what they've been working on to showcase at conventions and online.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Rockette wrote:I think you'll be disappointed in most pre-made costumes.
I can vouch for that! The pre-made costumes available from stores always feel so...costume-y. It's not just the general quality and attention to detail, but the very materials they're made out of. You can see it even when you compare the two Gohan costumes that have been posted so far. I really don't like that shiny material so many of the pre-made ones are made from.

I'm working on a costume for a convention in October, personally. It'll be my first time wearing one in at least a decade, but it should be fun! Unfortunately, it isn't Dragon Ball related. If it was I would have jumped into this thread sooner.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Rockette wrote:Ya'll are breaking my heart! Although, given some of the posts, it makes me wonder what's holding you guys back. No conventions in your area, no one to do it with, image issues? Just don't know where to start?
dbboxkaifan wrote:I've never went or dressed a cosplay costume, but if I were to, it'd be what Gohan's wearing:

I know it looks like a daunting task, but I would try to make it myself before I bought it, even if I were just starting out. I think you'll be disappointed in most pre-made costumes.
Well the only thing that's holding me back from going to one is because I live in Kentucky(Fried chicken) :lol: and around here this is what you see
Image :lol:
I live 5 hours away from a mall :lol: I have no image issues I could care less about what people think of me :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Rockette

Post by Rockette » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Ahhh well. Can't blame me for trying haha. Whelp, before my thread completely dies I suppose I'll spam ya'll with a few more pics of me and my con family.

My "Uncle" Vegeta and "Uncle" Nappa. They cosplay the Abridged versions.

Two of the baddest bitches to ever grace the South.

My SIL.

And last but not least, the world's first ever ChiChi/Nappa fusion: Chippa!
[*]Don't drink in public, kids. It's not attractive.[/size]

Of course, if you'd like to follow more of me and my cohort's adventures you can follow me at kakarettekosplay.deviantart.com. You don't have to, but that's where I'll post most my stuff.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:02 am

Whoever is playing Launch...needs to give me a call. :P
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Eeyore Haw-Haw » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:04 am

I'm gonna be trying to cosplay Mr. Satan this year at Amecon 2012, once I get some more funds to do go towards it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:36 am

Nappa wasn't fat he was just very muscled. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Derek Padula just posted some DBZ cosplay from Anime Expo: http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/fans ... expo-2012/

Here's my favourite:

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:13 pm

That's adorable. Would have been even more awesome if he was wearing Gohan's start-of-Z outfit, though :P
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:24 pm

The baby signifies Vegeta's maturity level.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 am

I dressed up as Goku a few weeks ago for Supanova... my sister made the costume for me... keep in mind that this was after a few hours, so my costume and I didn't look quite as fresh as the start of the day!

Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:55 pm

50 shades of Grey. lol

Found this on TFS twitter. Personally I find the face paint to be rather well done. Might inspire some cosplayers...?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Sorry if this is considered necro-posting, but don't come in this section much and I cosplay. Have done Mr. Satan and here's a pic of me with Kyle Hebert, and Quinton Flynn who wasn't on DB: