Fanmanga - Dragon Ball New Age

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Re: Fanmanga - Dragon Ball New Age

Post by Malik_DBNA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:18 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Malik_DBNA wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Stupid question. Do you have a Malik-Bot?
Do you think I should? ;)
Only if he wears a hat :)
*begins feverishly designing Malik-Bot with hat*

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 am

In quite possibly one of the most awesome things that has ever happened in my history with DBNA, Derek Padula of The Dao Of Dragon Ball reviewed DBNA Volume 1!

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/book ... ok-review/

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:03 pm

What, you're actually able to sell this sh*t on Amazon? I hope you get your ass sued so badly (and I know you will). XD

Seriously though, please stop embarrassing yourself any further, and stop butchering the original manga by tracing it into this steaming pile of bootleg horse sh*t. Your "manga" looks like it was drawn and written by a slow five year old.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:06 pm

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:What, you're actually able to sell this sh*t on Amazon? I hope you get your ass sued so badly (and I know you will). XD

Seriously though, please stop embarrassing yourself any further, and stop butchering the original manga by tracing it into this steaming pile of bootleg horse sh*t. Your "manga" looks like it was drawn and written by a slow five year old.
He doesn't trace no more. He redrawn chapters he traced. What's your damage?

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:54 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:What, you're actually able to sell this sh*t on Amazon? I hope you get your ass sued so badly (and I know you will). XD

He doesn't trace no more. He redrawn chapters he traced. What's your damage?
My thoughts exactly, Goken. If 'embarrassing myself' means being read in 134 countries, people taking their own time to translate it into other languages with no input from me, having big names in the DB community give me props (on the writing and art you say is done by a slow five year old) and support me, and people making game mods, fan art, cosplays, etc out of my series, then I will continue to embarrass myself! You're starting to sound a lot like that one guy that got banned. What was his name.... Dr. Machismo.

Also, never traced. I had images side by side and copied A LOT in my older work, but I'm doing my utmost to draw completely from memory, with only occasional referencing.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Don't even reply, just report.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Cetra wrote:Don't even reply, just report.
Is that a report-able comment?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Malik_DBNA wrote:
Insulting in any way seems very reportable.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Cetra wrote:
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Insulting in any way seems very reportable.
Well someone already did. So there ya go

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:22 pm

There is no need to discuss account warnings and reports. Carry on with your actual discussion, on-topic, and move along. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:00 am

Since the topic has been broached though, I am kinda curious as to the legality of selling something like this, or even something like Derek Padula's 'It's Over 9,000' book. Is there not some kind of channel you'd have to go through so that you wouldn't be sued? And I'm not trying to chastise or critique, I'm just genuinely curious about the legality situation of stuff like this.

As far as this fan-manga itself goes, I've had a backlog of it to read for the longest time now but I keep forgetting to do so and come back and give my thoughts. ^_^;
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Since the topic has been broached though, I am kinda curious as to the legality of selling something like this, or even something like Derek Padula's 'It's Over 9,000' book. Is there not some kind of channel you'd have to go through so that you wouldn't be sued? And I'm not trying to chastise or critique, I'm just genuinely curious about the legality situation of stuff like this.

As far as this fan-manga itself goes, I've had a backlog of it to read for the longest time now but I keep forgetting to do so and come back and give my thoughts. ^_^;
Derek Padula was actually who assisted me with the printing and publishing and legal avenues I had to take. Derek went through leaps and bounds to finally reach the proper people when he was Publishing "Its Over 9000" and his other books, to which they gave him the OK under fair use clauses, declaring his books an 'unofficial derivative work". We took the same approach with DBNA Vol. 1. Though yes, it may still be considered an illegal piece in some circles, there is no attempt to take ownership of the property for myself. Upon opening the book, a lengthy legal disclaimer dissolves all ownership on my part, declaring it an unofficial work not associated with the parent companies.

As far as printing and selling fan manga, it happens more often than you think, especially in this community. During some of Japan's largest anime conventions, upwards of 2000-4500 doujinshi artist sell their wares, with not a single lawsuit filed. Toyble and Young Jijii, the two AF artists, as well as dozens of other soujinshi artists continue to sell volumes of their fan manga online, yet no one pursues litigation against them (Toyble even got a job at Shueisha thanks to DBAF). Japanese companies tend to turn a blind eye to such things, as it is often not in their best interest from a fan standpoint or financial standpoint to pursue litigation against artist's who's profits are minuscule at best. They also view the doujinshi art community as a sort of 'farm league', where they can scope out up-and-coming talent, and consider it almost free advertising for their own franchises.

However, if Shueisha ever had a problem with it, it is a simple task to quit selling them online, and I made no bones about ceasing online sales the instant any problem as such arises. I already intend to stop internet sales at the end of my convention season until next year, so its not like they are continuously selling.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 am

I feel like copyright laws are too strict on this kinda of stuff, so i'm happy for you.
As long as your work, story and ideas are original, you should be under Fair Use even if the characters are not original.

But that's just my opinion (formed after seeing loads of copyright law abuses by companies for the sake of censoring on YouTube).

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Malik. I see, I figured there was some kind of process of semi-approval that had to be gone through for something like this, to even begin trying to sell it as such. I also figured there might be some kind of other issues present too maybe, what with doujin circles mostly being in Japan, versus people in the US trying to sell stuff based on the Dragon Ball property, but I guess that wasn't the case at all?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Thanks for the reply Malik. I see, I figured there was some kind of process of semi-approval that had to be gone through for something like this, to even begin trying to sell it as such. I also figured there might be some kind of other issues present too maybe, what with doujin circles mostly being in Japan, versus people in the US trying to sell stuff based on the Dragon Ball property, but I guess that wasn't the case at all?
Not that I found. In fact, mine is not the only doujinshi being sold on Amazon. Granted, most of them are hentai, but I have seen others there, and I doubt they went through the avenues I did before posting them. I also have yet to go to a convention in the last 5 years where doujinshi wasnt being sold. The culture is a lot larger than most give it credence.

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Next batch of revised CH9 pages
Last edited by Malik_DBNA on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Not to sound rude, but is darkening the sky during a power up/transformation a real big deal? Goku said Vegeta felt like a hurricane when he first fought him and Goku going SSJ3 caused entire earthquakes.

Also, spelling error with the comment regarding Rigor being able to handle Omega, not sure if you noticed that.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Not to sound rude, but is darkening the sky during a power up/transformation a real big deal? Goku said Vegeta felt like a hurricane when he first fought him and Goku going SSJ3 caused entire earthquakes.

Also, spelling error with the comment regarding Rigor being able to handle Omega, not sure if you noticed that.
I did notice the grammar error, it has been fixed.

Goku did mention the 'hurricane' line in the manga, but SSJ3 merely made the earth tremble, it didn't cause earthquakes. No other transformation in the manga affected the atmosphere like this, except for when Shenron or Porunga is summoned, which is what I was going for. The earth shook, and the sky across the planet turned dark.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Page 6 and 7 of volume 3 of the Full Colors show clouds forming and the sky darkening when Vegeta powers up before Goku. Even lightning starts to drop.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Malik_DBNA
Advanced Regular

Post by Malik_DBNA » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Page 6 and 7 of volume 3 of the Full Colors show clouds forming and the sky darkening when Vegeta powers up before Goku. Even lightning starts to drop.
True, but I would attribute the darkening of the sky in that case to the storm clouds. Also, right after Vegeta powers up, the sky goes back to normal. As long as Rigor remains transformed, the sky is darkened