Interesting or funny pictures thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Interesting or funny pictures thread

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:34 am

"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 pm

She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:42 pm

DBZ's American English dub did change a lot, but it still resulted in an entertaining product. Have you ever seen a 4Kids dub? Most of their shows were unwatchable garbage. Part of that stems from the motivations behind the changes. 4Kids neutered any emotional moments in their shows, because they thought kids wouldn't be able to handle it. Dragon Ball didn't change any scenes that dramatically. Most of the time, if there was a change, it was because they rightly assumed that American parents would throw a fit and try to get it off the air. There's no way the name "Mr. Satan" would have flied back then. The "Home for Infinite Losers" thing is kinda funny in retrospect, but American children's television did not use the word "Hell." Most kids shows would use the word "heck" instead. Probably some sort of a legal thing, so they had to change it. Meanwhile, 4Kids is doing a crappy job pasting a sandwich over a rice ball, because any references to Japanese culture was a no no in their office. American kids are too stupid to understand what a rice ball is, so better confuse an entire generation by telling them it's actually a jelly filled donut.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:43 pm

Uhhhh... is this the thread for it?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:12 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:42 pm DBZ's American English dub did change a lot, but it still resulted in an entertaining product. Have you ever seen a 4Kids dub?
DBZ was still heavly americanize in the states. Goku feels like a totally different character when he went SSj in the dub back in 1999. The point is to show that Funimation was not much better than 4kids back in the day and people still defend the Funimation dub as the best version of the show.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:59 am

"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Goku da Silva

Post by Goku da Silva » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:59 pm

Trouser wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:59 am
Wow! Really neat! :thumbup:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:42 am

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 pm Image
a lot of people may not like the Faulconer Dub, they may H A T E the Faulconer Dub, but Dragonball, and anime in general would not be as big as it is now in the United States without it. It had just enough charm to keep everyone interested to develop the markets we enjoy today. Just enough. 4kids however ruined One Piece. Funimation tried to save One Piece in the early to mid 2000s, with their improved abilities, and using the right music, great VAs, reduced censorship to only excessive blood, everything you need for a masterpiece english dub, but the damage was already done. Politically, culturally, the two dubs are nothing alike.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:00 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 am a lot of people may not like the Faulconer Dub, they may H A T E the Faulconer Dub, but Dragonball, and anime in general would not be as big as it is now in the United States without it.
You don't know that. I'm pretty sure if Dragon Ball had a good dub, it would have done just as well or better.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:05 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:00 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 am a lot of people may not like the Faulconer Dub, they may H A T E the Faulconer Dub, but Dragonball, and anime in general would not be as big as it is now in the United States without it.
You don't know that. I'm pretty sure if Dragon Ball had a good dub, it would have done just as well or better.
I doubt it. I remember growing up back then. There was no anime on TV. At least not on any channels I was picking up on my antenna TV. There was one point when I could catch DBZ on a Spanish channel, but I couldn't tell what was going on. Eventually, we did get cable, and I could finally see what my older cousin was telling me about the Dragon Ball Z show. They played it on Toonami, which was basically responsible for introducing a generation of American kids to anime. Previous generations had Speed Racer, but anime was far from mainstream back then, and it was seen as weird or geeky. Toonami gave us Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, Cowboy Beebop, and much more, but the one that stood out the most was Dragon Ball Z. I doubt it would have found nearly as much success if its presentation wasn't the way it was. Nowadays, anime is mainstream. We have many more options, many more fans, a more refined anime pallet, and now rather than being judged for liking anime, now you're judged for liking the wrong anime.

Anime wasn't the only thing to be Americanized when being brought overseas. Just compare Japanese video game art to American video game art. They changed Sonic from cute and friendly looking to having this smartass smirk, making his spikes resemble a mohawk, and overall giving him an appearance suggesting an "attitude." They knew what they were doing. They were giving 90's kids exactly what they wanted.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:54 pm

this argument is no offense, really ridiculous. dragon ball with any sort of dub is always gonna be popular everywhere, it's dragon ball. ranma ½ which had a super accurate and (imo anyway) really good dub, was super popular in america for a time and that's a series that probably should've polarized American audiences. plus considering the fact that the original 1-53 dubbed eps and then s3-onwards are pretty different production wise and to my knowledge, it's not like the series picked up or lost any popularity during that transition, kinda shows that what made dragon ball popular over here is the actual show (well, shows) themselves. not the faulconer score, not the punched up scripts, not the weird half translations. come on now.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:32 pm

Yeah no, Dragon Ball was only good in spite of the stupid way it was presented. You only think it had to be that way because it already was that way. They didn't "give 90s kids what they wanted", they decided what they wanted and kids conformed because they didn't have anything else. If you think it was about presenting it as some edgy, 2kool4skool radical kids' cartoon, that's an insult to the quality of the series itself.

Hell, Sonic always had an "attitude" in the Japanese version, they didn't have to put a buttcrack on his face to do that. If you compare the "cool" factor of 90s American Sonic to what was coming from Sonic Team, you can see that they were clearly distinct and only one aged fucking terribly.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:42 am Image
Hahahahaha! Cute little Pinkie Pie.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:32 pm Yeah no, Dragon Ball was only good in spite of the stupid way it was presented. You only think it had to be that way because it already was that way. They didn't "give 90s kids what they wanted", they decided what they wanted and kids conformed because they didn't have anything else. If you think it was about presenting it as some edgy, 2kool4skool radical kids' cartoon, that's an insult to the quality of the series itself.

Hell, Sonic always had an "attitude" in the Japanese version, they didn't have to put a buttcrack on his face to do that. If you compare the "cool" factor of 90s American Sonic to what was coming from Sonic Team, you can see that they were clearly distinct and only one aged fucking terribly.
Well your opinion is your own, but us 80s - 90s kids lived it. History is on our side, whether you accept it or not.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:28 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm Well your opinion is your own, but us 80s - 90s kids lived it.
Yeah, you lived through thinking a lot of terrible things were good, like every other child on the planet.
FoolsGil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm History is on our side, whether you accept it or not.
What part of "history" proves that kids of the 90s wouldn't have liked a good version of Dragon Ball instead of a bad one?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Image Image Image Image
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm
Well your opinion is your own, but us 80s - 90s kids lived it. History is on our side, whether you accept it or not.
what does that have to do with anything ? ignoring the fact that i think a child's view on what was popular and why it was popular when they were kids is probably gonna be skewed for tons of different reasons, how is history on your side ? dragon ball is popular basically everywhere and as far as i know, most countries didn't use replacement scores or change the script wildly, or try and change the show into their cultures version of a cartoon, and if you're gonna say well america is different with that, then why were shows like cowboy bebop, ranma ½, gundam wing, eva or whatever other show that either predates dragon ball in america or came over around the same time, successful ? well i can't speak for all of those dubs, to my knowledge all of them kept the original score and most of them were more accurate then the funi z dub ever was, and none of those shows flopped over here because kids couldn't handle the fact they weren't American-inized or whatever.

hell there's a example of this within the original Z dub itself, the dubs of the first 3 Z movies that were very accurate, used the original score and stayed mostly true to the Japanese version, were all also popular and still looked fondly upon to this day. because again, it's dragon ball.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:32 pm Hell, Sonic always had an "attitude" in the Japanese version, they didn't have to put a buttcrack on his face to do that. If you compare the "cool" factor of 90s American Sonic to what was coming from Sonic Team, you can see that they were clearly distinct and only one aged fucking terribly.
I always found Sega USA's positioning "we're edgy and Nintendo's for kid" cringe. Always preferred the UK and Japanese Sega ads, much more classier most of the time.
FoolsGil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pmWell your opinion is your own, but us 80s - 90s kids lived it. History is on our side, whether you accept it or not.
Everyone experiences things differently.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.