Interesting or funny pictures thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Interesting or funny pictures thread

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Constantly shitting on one show to reaffirm your love of another is insecure, but reacting to that and recognizing what it is is different. This conversation showed up last time people in this thread were posting dumb omari-level bullshit, and it never quite adds up. Juvenile-tier memes insulting a show and the audience that prefers it over another show exist for both Super and GT, but the playing field simply isn't level, and there's way more of this GT-elitism than there is for Super, especially considering how much more popular Super itself has become. It would be a double standard if they were equal and both showed up as much in this thread, but that doesn't happen, so recognizing idiotic nonsense as what it is can only look like a biased skew toward Super because there isn't really much of an equivalent to it on the other end.

It's especially poignant given that this opposition comes across almost exclusively from about three users that all universally justify it with "it's true though", like that opinion is somehow objective and people are allowed to just insult each other over it. It's the exact opposite of this "UwU stop you meanies huwting my dewicate sensibiwities and opinions" rhetoric in the Vic thread, because it's just one TV show versus another.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:53 pm

I don't know, I don't really believe 'GT fans are the most insecure and Super fans are never like this' because that's a huge generalization that can't really be backed up.

This thread might have a clear bias in one direction but that still wouldn't justify making a generalization about the entire fanbase.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 pm

Well, everywhere I've been, throughout all my history of interacting with any part of the fandom, I've never seen the smug attitude of "hahAA YEAAAHH OUR SHOW SUPERIOR" expressed by anyone other than GT fans. While I have zero doubts that people like this exist with the same view towards Super, I've never seen anything like that, and certainly not with the sheer numbers I see for GT elitism. It strikes me as potentially just contrarianism to people having liked Super from people that otherwise would have just been like "yeah GT was the worst but it's still good". It's fear out of the idea of having another show they consider worse being praised higher than theirs, probably compounded by GT being the butt of a lot of jokes in the fandom over the years.

If anything, I've seen more of either of these for comparing Z to Super, but that at least has the explanation of being the far and away most popular part of the show and cultivating the heavily nostalgia-biased fandom. It doesn't help that the first parts of Super were hugely-disappointing messes in terms of production and it never quite looked like Dragon Ball was supposed to (an important factor as I believe Toriyama's art, designs and composition are the most important things that made the manga as successful as it was).

And really, Z is the butt of as many jokes as GT in general anime fandom as it's the representative of DB as a whole (a fact that hurts me deeply as someone who loved the Red Ribbon army arc the most). And I've actually seen quite a fair amount of this attitude comparing DBZ to say, Naruto or One Piece, even stuff considered "subversive" like Hunter X Hunter or One Punch Man. So it would fit the bill in a similar manner.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:23 pm

I mean yeah I wouldn't expect anyone but GT fans to express extreme pro-GT views. But I wouldn't generalize GT fans as being that extreme or try to act like the fanbases are fundamentally different.

And from my experience I've seen a lot of both, GT had a pretty wide hatedom before Super and it's kind of an easy target. Very easy to respond to current Super criticisms by ragging on GT (or Z, which I see occasionally). I've seen enough from both sides, and know that there are so many platforms I haven't seen, to not try and estimate which side does the most shit-flinging. It's vocal minorities in either case.

The most recent example I can recall is seeing the reactions to GT Kid Goku's inclusion in Dragon Ball Fighterz, with the most extreme being that GT was tainting the game and lowering the integrity of it (from a huge Super fan).

Both GT and Super get a lot of criticism, so it's not hard finding examples of fans being insecure and overly defensive.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm not saying that all GT fans, or even very many at all are like this, but of the people who have that sort of weird my-show-is-the-only-real-one mentality, it's seemingly a lot more prominent on that side.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:01 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 pm
More Dragon Ball x Red Dwarf please!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:55 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 pm Well, everywhere I've been, throughout all my history of interacting with any part of the fandom, I've never seen the smug attitude of "hahAA YEAAAHH OUR SHOW SUPERIOR" expressed by anyone other than GT fans. While I have zero doubts that people like this exist with the same view towards Super, I've never seen anything like that, and certainly not with the sheer numbers I see for GT elitism. It strikes me as potentially just contrarianism to people having liked Super from people that otherwise would have just been like "yeah GT was the worst but it's still good". It's fear out of the idea of having another show they consider worse being praised higher than theirs, probably compounded by GT being the butt of a lot of jokes in the fandom over the years.

If anything, I've seen more of either of these for comparing Z to Super, but that at least has the explanation of being the far and away most popular part of the show and cultivating the heavily nostalgia-biased fandom. It doesn't help that the first parts of Super were hugely-disappointing messes in terms of production and it never quite looked like Dragon Ball was supposed to (an important factor as I believe Toriyama's art, designs and composition are the most important things that made the manga as successful as it was).

And really, Z is the butt of as many jokes as GT in general anime fandom as it's the representative of DB as a whole (a fact that hurts me deeply as someone who loved the Red Ribbon army arc the most). And I've actually seen quite a fair amount of this attitude comparing DBZ to say, Naruto or One Piece, even stuff considered "subversive" like Hunter X Hunter or One Punch Man. So it would fit the bill in a similar manner.
Interesting, this is more in the West. In Japan, the Dragon Ball Super name is actually taking over everything and is starting to supersede Dragon Ball Z to the point, Dragon Ball Z characters get labeled under Super in marketing. The biggest example off the top of my head is Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle. During the 4 year anniversary, it was advised as Dragon Ball Super Dokkan Battle.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Oh no, it's absolutely an English-speaking fandom specific thing (okay Latin American fans too), Japanese fans don't have nearly the weird hangups of western ones.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:39 am

Translation:
- I demand you reveal the identity of Fistface!
- Okay.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 am

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:26 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 pm
This attitude only exist among the North American/Anglophone anime fandom. It's nowhere to be found in the Japanese (especially), Latino, Middle Eastern, Other East Asian, Romance European and other regions anime fandoms at all.

This is likely because DB(Z) wasn't the 1st (nor one of the few) anime to become super popular in these parts of the world, so the DB franchise generally doesn't get the same hipster-hate among the anime fandom of these countries like it does with the US fandom.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 am

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu May 02, 2019 1:44 pm

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu May 02, 2019 4:41 pm

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu May 02, 2019 6:49 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:41 pm Image

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 03, 2019 3:16 pm

How and why ? mostly why ? I have seen hundreds of pictures on here and this is the most out there one I've seen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 03, 2019 4:54 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:16 pm
How and why ? mostly why ? I have seen hundreds of pictures on here and this is the most out there one I've seen.
No idea how this picture came to life. It's hard to imagine that someone was just sitting and thought "how about putting Pan's head over Roshi's muscled max power body".
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:33 pm

zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Don't ask

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sat May 04, 2019 5:55 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 pm Image

Don't ask