Interesting or funny pictures thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Interesting or funny pictures thread

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 am

DBZ would not have done as well with its original score. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been successful at all, just that it wouldn't have been nearly as popular. They played to their audience, and it paid off. And no, its success in other countries is not evidence of the contrary. America is not Mexico or England or anywhere else. Heck, we're not even the only country to make such big changes to the anime. The Portuguese dub basically treated the anime as a self-parody, and DBZ was insanely popular there. It rivaled even Pokemon. In fact, they even still air their weird DBZ dub alongside their more faithful (and less popular) Kai and Super dubs. What works in one place and time may not work as well in another place or time.

In America, we didn't even get the original Dragon Ball until after Z became so popular. Well, we did, but it was weird, and nobody liked it, and so it got canceled. When we final did get it, it did okay, but it was overshadowed by Z. I remember when I was a kid, the show was less exciting to me because the fights had no flying, there were fewer energy blasts (used rarely in the beginning), there were no transformations, they didn't have super speed (except when they did), the stakes were significantly lower, and the show was a lot more goofy. That wasn't an uncommon sentiment among my peers, either. Nowadays, I can appreciate it for what it is, but at the time, it was nothing compared to the badass rock/synth sci-fi DBZ was presented as.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm
Well your opinion is your own, but us 80s - 90s kids lived it. History is on our side, whether you accept it or not.
what does that have to do with anything ?
It means I'm not going to waste my typing to anyone who are in their own heads about how awful something is, to not understand its place to anime in the western world as a whole. There were news articles written about Dragonball Z - When people still read newspapers. If you see 4kids One Piece and Faulconer Dragonball, and think they're the same thing: Believe what you want, the rest of us see the big picture.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 am DBZ would not have done as well with its original score. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been successful at all, just that it wouldn't have been nearly as popular. They played to their audience, and it paid off. And no, its success in other countries is not evidence of the contrary. America is not Mexico or England or anywhere else. Heck, we're not even the only country to make such big changes to the anime. The Portuguese dub basically treated the anime as a self-parody, and DBZ was insanely popular there. It rivaled even Pokemon. In fact, they even still air their weird DBZ dub alongside their more faithful (and less popular) Kai and Super dubs. What works in one place and time may not work as well in another place or time.

In America, we didn't even get the original Dragon Ball until after Z became so popular. Well, we did, but it was weird, and nobody liked it, and so it got canceled. When we final did get it, it did okay, but it was overshadowed by Z. I remember when I was a kid, the show was less exciting to me because the fights had no flying, there were fewer energy blasts (used rarely in the beginning), there were no transformations, they didn't have super speed (except when they did), the stakes were significantly lower, and the show was a lot more goofy. That wasn't an uncommon sentiment among my peers, either. Nowadays, I can appreciate it for what it is, but at the time, it was nothing compared to the badass rock/synth sci-fi DBZ was presented as.
It being successful with the replaced score is not indicative that it wouldn't have been as successful if it was aired with the original score first. Not to mention that this argument works under a flawed reasoning.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:36 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 am DBZ would not have done as well with its original score. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been successful at all, just that it wouldn't have been nearly as popular. They played to their audience, and it paid off. And no, its success in other countries is not evidence of the contrary. America is not Mexico or England or anywhere else. Heck, we're not even the only country to make such big changes to the anime. The Portuguese dub basically treated the anime as a self-parody, and DBZ was insanely popular there. It rivaled even Pokemon. In fact, they even still air their weird DBZ dub alongside their more faithful (and less popular) Kai and Super dubs. What works in one place and time may not work as well in another place or time.

It being successful with the replaced score is not indicative that it wouldn't have been as successful if it was aired with the original score first. Not to mention that this argument works under a flawed reasoning.
We can only speculate on what things would have been like. My reasoning is based on American culture at the time, especially in regards to entertainment. Anime was not mainstream. Toonami gave us more faithful dubs, such as with Inuyasha, and they did fine. I'm still fond of those shows. But none of them ever rose to the same level of popularity as Dragon Ball Z. You don't think that had anything to do with its presentation?

Let's imagine, however, a universe where Dragon Ball Z was not brought to the US at all until 20 years later. Would a dub like what we got have worked? Nope. I don't think it would have, or at least not as well. Anime purists would have been offended that the score was changed, and general audiences wouldn't have been as impressed. Not only is anime more common now, meaning there's more competition, but there are different expectations for what an anime dub is supposed to do. The Funimation dub was very much a product of its time.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:36 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:36 am Toonami gave us more faithful dubs, such as with Inuyasha, and they did fine. I'm still fond of those shows. But none of them ever rose to the same level of popularity as Dragon Ball Z. You don't think that had anything to do with its presentation?
No, it was popular because it was Dragon Ball fucking Z. You may as well just say you hate the series if you're this determined to undermine it's worth by claiming it was only as popular as it was after Funimation sucked the soul out of it.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 am
It means I'm not going to waste my typing to anyone who are in their own heads about how awful something is, to not understand its place to anime in the western world as a whole. There were news articles written about Dragonball Z - When people still read newspapers. If you see 4kids One Piece and Faulconer Dragonball, and think they're the same thing: Believe what you want, the rest of us see the big picture.
nothing you've said regarding this topic has refuted anything anyone has said, you've pretty much just No, You Are Wrong'd it.
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:36 am We can only speculate on what things would have been like. My reasoning is based on American culture at the time, especially in regards to entertainment. Anime was not mainstream. Toonami gave us more faithful dubs, such as with Inuyasha, and they did fine. I'm still fond of those shows. But none of them ever rose to the same level of popularity as Dragon Ball Z. You don't think that had anything to do with its presentation?
no i think the reason why it's huge over here and huge almost everywhere is because, you know, of the series itself! and the success of anime in america with accurate presentations from that time, before that time, and within the series itself, are proof of that. not to mention again, the Z dub changed productions wildly during the show itself, music and voice actors and the show didn't lose or gain a ton of popularity, why are we attributing the success of one of the most globally popular anime ever to the presentation of a dub that changed scores twice, changed voice actors all the time, and that had a censored and uncut editions releasing at the same time ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:28 pm

If you are talking about the original 13 episode syndicated run that was When its dub had a surprise surprise REPLACEMENT SCORE! And if you meant the second attempt at bringing OG DB it didnt get cancelled at all!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:28 pm

If you are talking about the original 13 episode syndicated run that was When its dub had a surprise surprise REPLACEMENT SCORE! And if you meant the second attempt at bringing OG DB it didnt get cancelled at all!
"Dragon Ball Z was popular because it was Dragon Ball Z!"

"Dragon Ball got cancelled because of the replacement score!"

Oh, I see. So the replacement score gets zero credit with Z, but all the blame with DB. Makes sense.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:26 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:15 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:28 pm

"Dragon Ball Z was popular because it was Dragon Ball Z!"

"Dragon Ball got cancelled because of the replacement score!"

Oh, I see. So the replacement score gets zero credit with Z, but all the blame with DB. Makes sense.
He did not make that argument. The argument is that the replacement score was not a factor of success.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:26 am He did not make that argument. The argument is that the replacement score was not a factor of success.
He ignored that the Funimation Dragon Ball dub wasn't as much of a success (for the reasons I gave), saying that it wasn't canceled, even though I never said it was. And he pointed out that the original dub that was cancelled had a replacement score. Just ignore that they changed virtually everything about the show, even renaming Goku to Zero and the Dragon Balls to "crystal balls." Clearly the music was the issue. The original Dragon Ball dub was closer to how 4Kids handled dubbing than Funimation.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:37 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm He ignored that the Funimation Dragon Ball dub wasn't as much of a success (for the reasons I gave), saying that it wasn't canceled, even though I never said it was. And he pointed out that the original dub that was cancelled had a replacement score. Just ignore that they changed virtually everything about the show, even renaming Goku to Zero and the Dragon Balls to "crystal balls." Clearly the music was the issue. The original Dragon Ball dub was closer to how 4Kids handled dubbing than Funimation.
The burden of proof is on you to show that Dragon Ball's US success came from it's dub and replacement score and not it's content and accessibility. The Harmony Gold dub is shit in all of the exact same ways as Funimation, and it failed where Funimation succeeded, which is the point he was making. No matter what you pretend the virtues of one over the other are, there is nothing so special about specifically Funi's dub that would make it beat out the other versions, and even less that proves a good dub would have done worse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:01 pm

Actually I meant the BLT dub. THAT ONE had a replacement score. I think Harmony Gold just had the same old music as the Japanese version.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:41 am

Oh, guess I screwed up. Point still stands though.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:32 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 am DBZ would not have done as well with its original score.
DBZ would do just fine with its original music in America. DBZ was popular because it was a fast paced action cartoon, not because of the music.
FoolsGil wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 pm Image
a lot of people may not like the Faulconer Dub, they may H A T E the Faulconer Dub, but Dragonball, and anime in general would not be as big as it is now in the United States without it.
People assume that without any proof.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 am

Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Whatever happened to Icarus? He just sort of disappeared.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:16 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 pm Whatever happened to Icarus? He just sort of disappeared.
Chi Chi secretly murdered him with a kick to the brain stem so Gohan would not be distracted

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:21 pm

Goku da Silva

Post by Goku da Silva » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:29 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:21 pm Image