Interesting or funny pictures thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Interesting or funny pictures thread

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:52 am

Skar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pm Bulma said she hasn't seen Goku in five years which is now off by a year or two. Forgetting a line of dialogue doesn't mean Toriyama intends to retcon almost everything else.
I didn't say everything else, I said the amount of time that has passed, something that would factor pretty heavily in that line.
Skar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pmI don't know if you're only playing devil's advocate and really believe Broly is only one year after the Buu saga but do you expect Toriyama to change how old characters are by EoZ?
Technically he already has, since Bulma's supposedly been secretly de-aging herself with the Dragon Balls for an unclear number of years.
Skar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pmAside from Pan's age, we also have Uub in his DBS appearances that show a few years have passed since the Buu saga.
A few years? Maybe. Enough years for the complaint about Goten and Trunks to be fair? Maybe not.
Skar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pm No one is claiming the creative team or Toriyama since he's likely the only one deciding on main character designs is stupid.
I dunno, seems like a pretty obvious thing to rectify if they're following the timeline you seem to think they are. They'd have to be pretty stupid for you to be correct.
Skar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pmThat might be a reason for the disagreement because you're assuming that they didn't care to age them is meant to be an insult. I think it's more insulting to them to assume they've been giving a timeline in various sources and there's such a lack of communication that only the movie itself intended something else.
Well that's a weird thing to claim is insulting. On one side, they simply are either not paying attention to their own series or are so careless to not bother, on the other there's just some miscommunication or lack of information between two separate groups that's causing issues, the way it has for decades.
Skar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pm I don't understand how it's a moving goalpost. It's more arcs taking place each Age than expected but we're still given an idea how far we are from EoZ based on Pan's age.
Only if we assume every minor thing about EoZ is going to be the exact same, which it obviously isn't, since more major changes have occurred already.
Skar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pm How many years do you think are between Super Hero and EoZ?
Oh I have no idea. That's the major consequence of having a series that barely explains itself, and the reason I'm only making an anti-absolutist "maybe the amount of time has been different than you think it is" argument, and not a "this is how long it's actually been" one.

I just think the reasoning for this specific issue is poor enough to object to, which is the other reason I keep comparing it to powerscaling. Maybe Roshi really shouldn't be fast enough to make Frost dodge, but if the arguments I've seen from powerscalers are the best proof, then I'm going to treat it as a bad complaint.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:38 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:52 am Technically he already has, since Bulma's supposedly been secretly de-aging herself with the Dragon Balls for an unclear number of years.
Has she? I thought it was just a thing she wanted to do in DBS Broly, but never got the chance to. She looks wrinkly by EoZ so it would be especially weird if the de-aging wishes of hers were true now.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:52 amTechnically he already has, since Bulma's supposedly been secretly de-aging herself with the Dragon Balls for an unclear number of years.
I think she only wanted to use that wish but hasn't done it. Toriyama said most of the characters were too old after EoZ as a reason why he chose this time period so it doesn't seem likely he would change that now. I think the whole point of having it as a midquel is so he could use his existing ending for the series.
Well that's a weird thing to claim is insulting. On one side, they simply are either not paying attention to their own series or are so careless to not bother, on the other there's just some miscommunication or lack of information between two separate groups that's causing issues, the way it has for decades.
Once again we're not talking about decades old guidebooks. If Toriyama decided for BoG to be set before EoZ, it's likely he's also the one who decided when it took place within that timeskip and that became the year repeated in every source since then.
Oh I have no idea. That's the major consequence of having a series that barely explains itself, and the reason I'm only making an anti-absolutist "maybe the amount of time has been different than you think it is" argument, and not a "this is how long it's actually been" one.

I just think the reasoning for this specific issue is poor enough to object to, which is the other reason I keep comparing it to powerscaling. Maybe Roshi really shouldn't be fast enough to make Frost dodge, but if the arguments I've seen from powerscalers are the best proof, then I'm going to treat it as a bad complaint.
If something isn't explained, fans can come up with their own explanations if they want. The series has always had fan theories to try to fill in the blanks so that isn't changing. I think the fan theories for why Goten and Trunks haven't aged like Goten following kid Goku's growth or that Future Trunks might've matured quicker due to stress in his timeline are a little more convincing than the entire timeline being changed and we're not aware of it. The problem with this argument is that there are official sources that update the timeline every few arcs or movie so you would have to keep assuming they're all wrong.

Based on Pan's age, fans assume Super Hero is set in Age 782 or 783. We'll likely be given an exact year within a few months like with the previous three movies. If it's confirmed to be one of those years then it checks out with most other sources for the timeline. You're free to disagree with it but it wouldn't be because it's something left unexplained.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:14 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:38 am
Shaddy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:52 am Technically he already has, since Bulma's supposedly been secretly de-aging herself with the Dragon Balls for an unclear number of years.
Has she? I thought it was just a thing she wanted to do in DBS Broly, but never got the chance to. She looks wrinkly by EoZ so it would be especially weird if the de-aging wishes of hers were true now.
Goku: "Oh, I understand. You've already been using the Dragon Balls for that, huh?"

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:41 pm

Don't fuck with Dragon Ball fans.

They have never watched Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Toriyama is slowly retconning the timeline and the Daizenshuu it's getting (more) useless. It's not something new, it already happened in Z but I think it's more evident now. In this new timeline, the characters are a little bit younger than in the original work.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 am I think she only wanted to use that wish but hasn't done it. Toriyama said most of the characters were too old after EoZ as a reason why he chose this time period so it doesn't seem likely he would change that now. I think the whole point of having it as a midquel is so he could use his existing ending for the series.
Disregarding Goku's line, why would he choose a time period where the characters remain young only to then stop using it? You think Super Hero is a path towards the series ending and never coming back?

If anything, retconning the tournament so that it occurs when everyone is younger makes way more sense under my framing.
Skar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 am Once again we're not talking about decades old guidebooks. If Toriyama decided for BoG to be set before EoZ, it's likely he's also the one who decided when it took place within that timeskip and that became the year repeated in every source since then.
Why assume that he specified a year? If you're willing to make the jump that he can't decide when to age his characters, why would you still assume that he has a lot of care for the rest of the chronology?
Skar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 am If something isn't explained, fans can come up with their own explanations if they want. The series has always had fan theories to try to fill in the blanks so that isn't changing. I think the fan theories for why Goten and Trunks haven't aged like Goten following kid Goku's growth or that Future Trunks might've matured quicker due to stress in his timeline are a little more convincing than the entire timeline being changed and we're not aware of it. The problem with this argument is that there are official sources that update the timeline every few arcs or movie so you would have to keep assuming they're all wrong.
Well but again, you're making the assumption that Broly, which is much more directly from Toriyama than any supplementary material or even the show itself, is wrong, based on some pretty-dubious interpretation of the text. What is the dividing line between a correct source and a false one?

Also, I kind of doubt the fandom's faith in the arguments of Goten and Trunks not aging, because people wouldn't be making these same bad timeline complaints so often if they thought they made a lot of sense. I'm perfectly willing to accept that as an answer, and sure, maybe fans who reject it are that stupid, but I'm willing to bet if you have any kind of hangups about this, you probably don't agree.
Skar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 am Based on Pan's age, fans assume Super Hero is set in Age 782 or 783. We'll likely be given an exact year within a few months like with the previous three movies. If it's confirmed to be one of those years then it checks out with most other sources for the timeline. You're free to disagree with it but it wouldn't be because it's something left unexplained.
See, I think part of this is that we're having a death-of-the-author argument here. I don't know how many times I have to explain to you that I do not give a shit about paratext when doing so makes the series make far less sense. I just don't think any of this would be nearly as big a deal if the parent companies stopped trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The manga and anime themselves rarely-if-ever state the amount of time during a timeskip, much less any year, and I simply can't shake this feeling that it's because we're not supposed to worry about it nearly as much as the supplementary material encourages, same as power levels. The year is only ever going to be what it needs to be for the specific story they want to tell, the story is never going to be held back by what year some people online think it might be.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 pmDisregarding Goku's line, why would he choose a time period where the characters remain young only to then stop using it? You think Super Hero is a path towards the series ending and never coming back?

If anything, retconning the tournament so that it occurs when everyone is younger makes way more sense under my framing.
I'm going by what Toriyama said about why he chose this time period. He felt most of the characters were too old by the end of the manga and in one interview he said he even gave Vegeta a mustache then. SaiyaJedi pointed out that Toriyama was probably getting mixed up with the GT character design he made for Vegeta and Toriyama might've assumed he gave him a mustache in EoZ. Once DBS does reach EoZ, I wouldn't be shocked if the characters like Bulma and Krillin are as old as they were back then because it's based on what Toriyama said.
Why assume that he specified a year? If you're willing to make the jump that he can't decide when to age his characters, why would you still assume that he has a lot of care for the rest of the chronology?
If he remembered how old Pan was in EoZ, it's not hard believe he chose what year Videl was pregnant. In the interview I mentioned above, he said in an interview that BoG was a few years after the Buu saga so it works with the year given. They usually release character designs by Toriyama and last ones we've seen for Goten and Trunks were for BoG since they didn't appear in the other movies. Super Hero might be the next movie they appear in since they haven't revealed all the newer character designs yet.
Well but again, you're making the assumption that Broly, which is much more directly from Toriyama than any supplementary material or even the show itself, is wrong, based on some pretty-dubious interpretation of the text. What is the dividing line between a correct source and a false one?
I posted a link that it was Terez's interpretation. You're free to disagree but I wouldn't call it a dubious interpretation if that's what this site is going with.
See, I think part of this is that we're having a death-of-the-author argument here. I don't know how many times I have to explain to you that I do not give a shit about paratext when doing so makes the series make far less sense. I just don't think any of this would be nearly as big a deal if the parent companies stopped trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The manga and anime themselves rarely-if-ever state the amount of time during a timeskip, much less any year, and I simply can't shake this feeling that it's because we're not supposed to worry about it nearly as much as the supplementary material encourages, same as power levels. The year is only ever going to be what it needs to be for the specific story they want to tell, the story is never going to be held back by what year some people online think it might be.
I think you're really exaggerating the issue and making a bigger deal out of it. There are several examples in the original manga with the narrator indicating X years have passed so the guidebooks are mostly documenting it for easy reference. Herms has a timeline he updates that's based on official sources or implications in the story. It's information that exists for anyone who's interested but those who aren't interested can disregard it. It's not being held back by what some fans online think it might be because we're not the ones deciding on the year. Some years happen to only have one arc taking place while others have had several arcs within a few months of each other so providing the year only tells us when they've decided to move to the next year in the timeline.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:53 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm I'm going by what Toriyama said about why he chose this time period. He felt most of the characters were too old by the end of the manga and in one interview he said he even gave Vegeta a mustache then. SaiyaJedi pointed out that Toriyama was probably getting mixed up with the GT character design he made for Vegeta and Toriyama might've assumed he gave him a mustache in EoZ. Once DBS does reach EoZ, I wouldn't be shocked if the characters like Bulma and Krillin are as old as they were back then because it's based on what Toriyama said.
But not Goten and Trunks, then? I don't get where you're coming from here.
Skar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm If he remembered how old Pan was in EoZ, it's not hard believe he chose what year Videl was pregnant. In the interview I mentioned above, he said in an interview that BoG was a few years after the Buu saga so it works with the year given. They usually release character designs by Toriyama and last ones we've seen for Goten and Trunks were for BoG since they didn't appear in the other movies. Super Hero might be the next movie they appear in since they haven't revealed all the newer character designs yet.
Well no, they were in Broly, but I'm still not following your logic here. Do you think the kids aren't being aged because (insert reason here) or don't you? I don't doubt that Toriyama has an idea of when things take place, but the textual time both before and after Battle of Gods has wiggle-room. You may notice I'm still not actually trying to definitively prove that amount of time, because I think if it were something they wanted to be relevant the way you seem to think it is they'd have actually made it clear.
Skar wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm I think you're really exaggerating the issue and making a bigger deal out of it. There are several examples in the original manga with the narrator indicating X years have passed so the guidebooks are mostly documenting it for easy reference. It's information that exists for anyone who's interested but those who aren't interested can disregard it.
In the original manga, yes, but Super tends to forgo the explanation, and I think that's both purposeful (so they can shove material in wherever they like) and a problem (because it leads to weird conclusions from fans). Like I said, I think the complaint primarily exists because of the documentation. I just think that they're better than building their show in such a way that two specific characters look wrong and will continue to look wrong, and that somehow everything else has the correct answer rather than the show itself.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:53 pmBut not Goten and Trunks, then? I don't get where you're coming from here.
I'm pretty sure Toriyama referring to the adult cast being too old since Goten and Trunks were only 17 and 18 in EoZ. There were still young characters by then but maybe not part of the cast that he wanted to write stories about.
Well no, they were in Broly, but I'm still not following your logic here. Do you think the kids aren't being aged because (insert reason here) or don't you? I don't doubt that Toriyama has an idea of when things take place, but the textual time both before and after Battle of Gods has wiggle-room. You may notice I'm still not actually trying to definitively prove that amount of time, because I think if it were something they wanted to be relevant the way you seem to think it is they'd have actually made it clear.
To be honest, I completely forgot they were in Broly. I only remembered BoG because it was the last time I remembered them fighting aside from some anime only scenes. I don't know his reason for not aging them but I do think there are several possible explanations more convincing than the whole timeline being wrong. In order to believe they haven't really aged that much, you assume every official source giving a year is wrong, Toriyama was wrong about BoG being a few years after Buu, and that Pan and Bra were now born much earlier than they were originally. If Super Hero is only a year or two before the ending and Goten and Trunks have close to their EoZ designs, this reasoning no longer works. Probably the simplest explanation at that point would be that they had a growth spurt between Broly and Super Hero like kid Goku in his late teens.
In the original manga, yes, but Super tends to forgo the explanation, and I think that's both purposeful (so they can shove material in wherever they like) and a problem (because it leads to weird conclusions from fans). Like I said, I think the complaint primarily exists because of the documentation. I just think that they're better than building their show in such a way that two specific characters look wrong and will continue to look wrong, and that somehow everything else has the correct answer rather than the show itself.
I think the reason they didn't mention the timeskips in DBS is because they weren't years apart. There's enough evidence within the series that lines up with the official years given. For example, Broly is about two years after BoG. Videl being pregnant with Pan, Freeza training for four months, and Bulma being pregnant with Bra would make it at least 22 months from BoG to the ToP not including short breaks between other arcs. The timeline isn't trying to be too specific since it usually gives the year and not the exact date. I think it's harmless information for those interested. The fans that have had major issues with Goten and Trunks not aging probably stopped watching/reading by now or at least I can't remember when they last appeared in the manga.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:11 am

Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am I'm pretty sure Toriyama referring to the adult cast being too old since Goten and Trunks were only 17 and 18 in EoZ. There were still young characters by then but maybe not part of the cast that he wanted to write stories about.
I guess, but it's not like that stopped him from writing Goku as doing the exact same things he always did.
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 amI don't know his reason for not aging them but I do think there are several possible explanations more convincing than the whole timeline being wrong. In order to believe they haven't really aged that much, you assume every official source giving a year is wrong, Toriyama was wrong about BoG being a few years after Buu, and that Pan and Bra were now born much earlier than they were originally.
Not every official source, just specifically the sources you are citing.
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 amIf Super Hero is only a year or two before the ending and Goten and Trunks have close to their EoZ designs, this reasoning no longer works. Probably the simplest explanation at that point would be that they had a growth spurt between Broly and Super Hero like kid Goku in his late teens.
That doesn't really answer my question, though. Do you think they will do that or not?

Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am I think the reason they didn't mention the timeskips in DBS is because they weren't years apart. There's enough evidence within the series that lines up with the official years given. For example, Broly is about two years after BoG. Videl being pregnant with Pan, Freeza training for four months, and Bulma being pregnant with Bra would make it at least 22 months from BoG to the ToP not including short breaks between other arcs. The timeline isn't trying to be too specific since it usually gives the year and not the exact date.
I feel like we're going in circles here, man.
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am I think it's harmless information for those interested. The fans that have had major issues with Goten and Trunks not aging probably stopped watching/reading by now or at least I can't remember when they last appeared in the manga.
Well, no, because I don't think we would have gotten into this conversation if people who do have major issues had not posted shit memes about the subject here.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:11 amI guess, but it's not like that stopped him from writing Goku as doing the exact same things he always did.
Goku and Vegeta were still in their prime in EoZ but he might not have wanted to write stories with only them while their closest friends are now too old.
Not every official source, just specifically the sources you are citing.
Are there any sources that I left out? You only mentioned Broly but I pointed out this site interpreted that the age counter only faded out at 775 and it wasn’t meant to be the present day since every other lists it at 780. This site doesn't have an agenda for interpreting it that way and only going by what they believe was intended. They also mention in this tweet that "Shueisha's/Toei's reference material all consistently place Pan as born in Age 779, & Bra as born in Age 780. (Battle of Gods was Age 778.)" They point out the only inconsistency was a guidebook giving two years for when Bra was born so they probably weren't sure if she was one year older or younger than Pan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kanzenshuu/s ... 4258753538
That doesn't really answer my question, though. Do you think they will do that or not?
If Goten and Trunks do appear in the movie, I assume they would be closer to their EoZ designs like Pan and Dende. It would confirm if they've been following the same timeline that they themselves have been providing.
Well, no, because I don't think we would have gotten into this conversation if people who do have major issues had not posted shit memes about the subject here.
Well it was only a joke poking fun of the idea. First picture is Gohan and Videl in high school, second shows them some time later after getting married, and the third shows their daughter a few months old but Goten and Trunks haven't aged at all. Even if someone ignores the timeline, I think those events would at least have them as old as Cell Games Gohan. Maybe stress caused Gohan to age quicker.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:50 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 pm Goku and Vegeta were still in their prime in EoZ but he might not have wanted to write stories with only them while their closest friends are now too old.
Okay, but you're also of the opinion that we're apparently heading straight back to exactly that point, right? So did he just change his mind, or...?
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 pm Are there any sources that I left out? You only mentioned Broly but I pointed out this site interpreted that the age counter only faded out at 775 and it wasn’t meant to be the present day since every other lists it at 780. This site doesn't have an agenda for interpreting it that way and only going by what they believe was intended. They also mention in this tweet that "Shueisha's/Toei's reference material all consistently place Pan as born in Age 779, & Bra as born in Age 780. (Battle of Gods was Age 778.)" They point out the only inconsistency was a guidebook giving two years for when Bra was born so they probably weren't sure if she was one year older or younger than Pan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kanzenshuu/s ... 4258753538
I'm not saying the belief is insincere, just that I don't think it makes sense to go with a timeline if, in a case like this, it seemingly does not line up with what reality should be. When the timeline is as disconnected from the material itself as this, we can make that concession.

To be clear, I'm still speaking within the context of Goten and Trunks here. I just struggle to make the mental connection a person would have to in order to simultaneously believe that the timeline and continuity of the manga are strong enough to define a rigid timeline outside the main text, but that timeline is also so important that any perceived inconsistency is a violation worth getting upset over. An explanation claiming that the timeline and the kids aren't in conflict works just fine for me, but I see users actively ignoring those explanations all the time to continue being genuinely angry about this.
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 pm If Goten and Trunks do appear in the movie, I assume they would be closer to their EoZ designs like Pan and Dende. It would confirm if they've been following the same timeline that they themselves have been providing.
Okay, so supposing they don't, what specifically makes us decide that that means the series is wrong and not the timeline?
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 pm Well it was only a joke poking fun of the idea. First picture is Gohan and Videl in high school, second shows them some time later after getting married, and the third shows their daughter a few months old but Goten and Trunks haven't aged at all. Even if someone ignores the timeline, I think those events would at least have them as old as Cell Games Gohan. Maybe stress caused Gohan to age quicker.
See, that's the problem, I'm not sure it is a "joke" in the traditional sense. A recurring theme of this thread seems to be users posting images that critique or sometimes just insult the creative teams, and then defending those posts as somehow legitimate or infallible criticism. It's a weird drive-by opinion post, and in this case it's just wild to me to suggest that Goten and Trunks not having visually aged is a product of...just, nobody paying attention, and not simply a different idea of how much time has passed between two groups, but only in the context of having to give a shit about that in the first place. So seeing this rigidity, where two characters not having the design we want is a disastrous mistake with "no logical explanation", despite the fact that Super Hero having the correct designs for the characters would instantly confirm exactly the explanation you've given, makes the whole thing feel a bit insincere as an argument.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:50 pmOkay, but you're also of the opinion that we're apparently heading straight back to exactly that point, right? So did he just change his mind, or...?
I have no way to know if he changed his mind but I guess we'll find out when the story reaches EoZ. I'm only going by what he said. If he felt most of the cast was too old by EoZ and had every storyline take place before then, I assume he hasn't changed his mind yet.
An explanation claiming that the timeline and the kids aren't in conflict works just fine for me, but I see users actively ignoring those explanations all the time to continue being genuinely angry about this.
If I see a comment that's really out there, I sometimes question if it's fair. I just noticed it has died down since the series ended. I would accept those fan theories but it's mostly because we're unlikely to be given an explanation. I think those who would like to see them age aren't claiming it's going make or break the story for them but wouldn't hurt if it happened. At least the fans still around at this point. You don't really have to care or even pay attention to the timeline to believe that it could maybe make sense for them to look a little older. Uub was born when Goten and Trunks were 7 and 8 but now Uub looks about as old as them in his few DBS appearances.
Okay, so supposing they don't, what specifically makes us decide that that means the series is wrong and not the timeline?
All we know if that Goten and Trunks will eventually age to how old they are in EoZ. There's a 2-3 year gap between Broly and Super Hero so that seems like the opportunity for them to have their eventual growth spurt. If they haven't aged at all in the movie, I think more fans might accept one of the fan theories for why they still look that young but unlikely to believe the timeline is wrong. Other characters have aged consistent with the timeline so fans might assume something having to do specifically with Goten and Trunks.
See, that's the problem, I'm not sure it is a "joke" in the traditional sense. A recurring theme of this thread seems to be users posting images that critique or sometimes just insult the creative teams, and then defending those posts as somehow legitimate or infallible criticism. It's a weird drive-by opinion post, and in this case it's just wild to me to suggest that Goten and Trunks not having visually aged is a product of...just, nobody paying attention, and not simply a different idea of how much time has passed between two groups, but only in the context of having to give a shit about that in the first place. So seeing this rigidity, where two characters not having the design we want is a disastrous mistake with "no logical explanation", despite the fact that Super Hero having the correct designs for the characters would instantly confirm exactly the explanation you've given, makes the whole thing feel a bit insincere as an argument.
I don't know I thought it was a pretty harmless joke. Probably someone saw Pan's Super Hero design and thought it would be funny if she's now three years old while they still haven't aged. I've seen worse on other sites and one of the reasons why I avoid social media because it's full of hot takes and offensive memes for the purpose of views, likes, upvotes, etc. This forum discourages those kinds of people so anything posted here is usually because someone thought it was genuinely funny and wanted to share it not because they were after some attention or likes.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:28 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 pm I have no way to know if he changed his mind but I guess we'll find out when the story reaches EoZ. I'm only going by what he said. If he felt most of the cast was too old by EoZ and had every storyline take place before then, I assume he hasn't changed his mind yet.
Well, if we assume your timeline is correct, there's less than a year of his content left between fine and "too old", so...?
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 pm If I see a comment that's really out there, I sometimes question if it's fair. I just noticed it has died down since the series ended. I would accept those fan theories but it's mostly because we're unlikely to be given an explanation. I think those who would like to see them age aren't claiming it's going make or break the story for them but wouldn't hurt if it happened. At least the fans still around at this point. You don't really have to care or even pay attention to the timeline to believe that it could maybe make sense for them to look a little older. Uub was born when Goten and Trunks were 7 and 8 but now Uub looks about as old as them in his few DBS appearances.
I'm not denying any of that, necessarily. I just don't think the complaints would be nearly as bad if all people looked at the show, rather than other staff making their best approximation of when the show is supposed to take place.
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 pm All we know if that Goten and Trunks will eventually age to how old they are in EoZ. There's a 2-3 year gap between Broly and Super Hero so that seems like the opportunity for them to have their eventual growth spurt. If they haven't aged at all in the movie, I think more fans might accept one of the fan theories for why they still look that young but unlikely to believe the timeline is wrong. Other characters have aged consistent with the timeline so fans might assume something having to do specifically with Goten and Trunks.
I dunno about that last bit, since I wouldn't say anyone has particularly aged since the Buu arc, it's just less noticeable when they're already adults. I'd say Bulma actually has looked consistently younger than her previous appearances since Resurrection F.
Skar wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 pm I don't know I thought it was a pretty harmless joke. Probably someone saw Pan's Super Hero design and thought it would be funny if she's now three years old while they still haven't aged. I've seen worse on other sites and one of the reasons why I avoid social media because it's full of hot takes and offensive memes for the purpose of views, likes, upvotes, etc. This forum discourages those kinds of people so anything posted here is usually because someone thought it was genuinely funny and wanted to share it not because they were after some attention or likes.
Maybe it's just that I tend to know some users on this forum as generally joyless and prone to posting "memes" when what they're actually posting is their opinion under the "chad" and someone else's under the "virgin", so to speak.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:01 am

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:28 pmWell, if we assume your timeline is correct, there's less than a year of his content left between fine and "too old", so...?
Well I'm not the one writing the story or deciding on the timeline. There would only be a year or two between Super Hero and EoZ according to the timeline and Pan's age. I guess Bulma or Krillin rapidly age within that time but we won't know for sure until we get to EoZ.
I dunno about that last bit, since I wouldn't say anyone has particularly aged since the Buu arc, it's just less noticeable when they're already adults. I'd say Bulma actually has looked consistently younger than her previous appearances since Resurrection F.
I meant the younger characters born after the Buu saga so I don't think ignoring the timeline would really prevent any of the complaints about Goten and Trunks. Going by the story, Gohan is now a "scholar" so maybe that required some university that took a few years to complete after high school. If someone wants to assume he got married immediately after high school and that Pan will now be much older in EoZ, they'll notice Uub looks to be at least three or four years old which means Pan and Bra would've been born a few years after the Buu saga. I think any estimates fans come up with wouldn't be too far off from the official timeline.
Maybe it's just that I tend to know some users on this forum as generally joyless and prone to posting "memes" when what they're actually posting is their opinion under the "chad" and someone else's under the "virgin", so to speak.
Well if they're difficult to engage with and only speaking through memes then post some counter-memes.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:57 am

Skar wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:01 am Well I'm not the one writing the story or deciding on the timeline. There would only be a year or two between Super Hero and EoZ according to the timeline and Pan's age. I guess Bulma or Krillin rapidly age within that time but we won't know for sure until we get to EoZ.
I know it's not up to you, I'm just wondering how much weight you can put on Toriyama's comment with that part of the timeline hanging over the statement.
Skar wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:01 am Well if they're difficult to engage with and only speaking through memes then post some counter-memes.
Eh, yeah probably right.

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:21 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:41 pm Don't fuck with Dragon Ball fans.

:lol: so true.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:57 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:57 amI know it's not up to you, I'm just wondering how much weight you can put on Toriyama's comment with that part of the timeline hanging over the statement.
Well I don't think anything is set in stone until it's happens in the story. What he says in interviews are his thoughts at the time but I'm open to the possibility that he could change his mind. All we know is that EoZ is still released as the ending of the original manga and DBZ anime but we won't know how much of it will be retained for DBS until the story gets there.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:41 pm Don't fuck with Dragon Ball fans.

"Remember when Yamcha was a big deal"......no?