"Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

"Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Post by DNA » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:43 am

Hi guys! Just sharing this awesomeness with you. I hope you like it, it looks awesome to me.
Get hype!

Demo Trailer 2014
Balthazar wrote:Hyper Dragonball Z was a hit on arcades in the summer of 1999, with its timed unlocks and classical art direction, it was a hit and soon became a cult sensation. The game had several CPU only fights, including the very infamous Kid Buu, who was faced as the final boss and was able to counter just about anything you threw at him!

Actually no, that's a lie. This game never had a release, because it doesn't exist.What you've had the pleasure of witnessing is the culmination of several years of work by true Dragonball Z fans, a small group of fighting games afficionados and the moving pieces and parts were coded in freeware indie fighting game engine, Mugen.

Team Z2 was responsible for the code and animations you've just seen in action.

Our motivation was born from seeing the many official and unofficial games that DBZ has spawned over the last years. Usually packed with tons of characters, those games have always left us with a bad taste in our mouths.
This demo is based on games in the vein of Capcom's Street Fighter and Darkstalkers, adapted and fine-tuned to represent Dragonball's highly cinematic action in a way that actual combat means more than repeating the same combination of buttons over and over again.

This is how we envision a perfect Dragonball game. Gone is the sensation of every character being interchangeable and having the same style of fighting.
Instead, we have characters with beautiful animations, cinematic moves, skillful combos, interesting movesets, unique traits and the kind of fanservice that'd make any Dragonball fan smirk. We drew from all sources and we committed to our vision, which we share with you.

The graphics have that 2D charm that, in our opinion, was lost in the transition to 3D games.
The gameplay is intense, pulse-pounding and would look absolutely amazing in fighting game tournaments such as EVO. Counters, Air Combos, Dash Colissions, Super Projectiles, Beam Struggles, a large variety of fun character introductions and winposes... it's all in there. I can see people going insane over the intense battles that are possible.

We have in no way association with the DBZ license, we are mere fans. Our purpose is to show what CAN be made with the license. The moving bits of this presentation were made over time, with the effort of many.
We have 5 of these characters and 11 stages out there that anyone can try out. We have 3 characters unreleased and in several states of progress, we expect to put them out eventually as well.

This video was made mostly to make people aware that this exists. Why?
Because we love creating and we want to show our inner fire. Consider it a proof of concept. We knew this could be done with effort and talented people, all it takes is hard work.

Balthazar - Z2 captain, character spriter, main gameplay designer, maker of this video.
Iced - Idea Enginneer Extraordinaire, Z2 manager of sorts.
Cybaster - Character Programmer.
Daeron - Stage Spriter and programmer, character sprite assistant.
WizzyWhipItWonderful - Epic CPS2 music composer.
NoZ - Creator of the Saiyan Pride stage.
Infinite - Character AI programmer.
ShockDingo - Voice Actor for Freeza, Shenron and announcer.
RicePirate - Awesome Person and Voice Actor for Vegeta.
Philly Spider-Man - Voice Actor for Gohan.
The_None - Saibaman programmer.

The feedback we've received on these characters from the Mugen community has been very positive in general (if you didn't know, this was all coded in Mugen), but the mainstream audience doesn't really know they exist yet.
One of my greatest desires is to get some sort of acknowledgement from some people at Capcom or Bandai and from highly-regarded fighting game players.

Please leave us feedback and comments, we would love to see them!

Now, it's your time to help us. Help us get this video go viral. Like and Favourite it but most of all, SHARE it. That one kid you used to watch DBZ episodes with 10 years ago? Share it with him. Your parents, your boss? Link them up.
Any friends, family or contacts working at big game companies? Active in fightng game tournaments? Spread the word, share this video. I'm convinced we can do it!

If anything, I hope this video put a smile on your face.

Ronnie, a.k.a. Balthazar

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TORYAMA-SAN!

P.P.S. Get your pre-packed sample here:
http://z2.smeenet.org/HyperDBZsample.rar

Or, you can grab the characters and stages seperately here :
http://network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/

For more stuff, go here:
https://www.facebook.com/HyperDBZ
Last edited by DNA on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Re: Hyper Dragonball Z - 2D Arcade Style Fighting Videogame

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 am

Wow, this has turned out so well. This really is everything I've ever wanted from a DBZ game (well, just about...but last time I voiced that opinion, it just caused tension).

I can't wait for the full release. This is fantastic stuff!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Dangit, you beat me to the punch!

Anyway, I've loved Team Z2's work (Balthazar's sprites and WizzyWhipItWonderful's CPS2 compositions in particular) and I really hope this comes to fruition as a new fighting game in the spirit of Hyper Dimension is what I've always wanted.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:14 am

And they just got featured in Kotaku!

http://kotaku.com/the-dragon-ball-z-gam ... 1560459717

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:19 am

DNA wrote:And they just got featured in Kotaku!

http://kotaku.com/the-dragon-ball-z-gam ... 1560459717
Saw that last night, that's so awesome! Only thing that worries me is that, with the exposure it's getting, it may attract the likes of FUNimation or Toei and a cease and desist might be sent out. Hopefully that's not the case since it's just a fan project and I believe there's zero profit involved.

Seriously blown away by the work they've done, they truly deserve this exposure. I just hope it remains all positive.

Deadtuber.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:26 am

It is completely zero profit. It's been done all through sheer hard work and love for the series, mostly as a way to fill the gap we all have for a decent Dragon Ball game.

I do understand your concerns but at the same time, Balthazar told me himself that the lack of attention they've been getting is quite disheartening as well. So by all means, keep the hype going! Tell everyone!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:48 am

DNA wrote:I do understand your concerns but at the same time, Balthazar told me himself that the lack of attention they've been getting is quite disheartening as well. So by all means, keep the hype going! Tell everyone!
Oh yeah, for sure! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to encourage anyone to stop the hype train. It's awesome! I was just stating my fears about what may come.

Fingers crossed it doesn't; this game is beautifully made. Seriously, those sprites are divine.

Deadtuber.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I'd take this over any DBZ game released in the past couple yrs...easily. Hyper DBZ looks really beautiful. The animations and sprites are so crisp. I'd buy this in a second. I hope another developer (like Arcsys) gets the license and starts making DBZ games.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Saw this morning at work. Seems more interesting than any DB released this last generation.
This side of the fanbase makes me really happy. :D
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Is the speed at which the sample downloads slow for anyone else? Like "12 hours and 43 minutes remaining" slow?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Chuquita wrote:Is the speed at which the sample downloads slow for anyone else? Like "12 hours and 43 minutes remaining" slow?
It's because literally everyone and their mother is trying to get a hold of it right now.

I've rehosted it for you. This should be much faster - https://mega.co.nz/#!AFMBAIRA!IoNbdFLWJ ... igbpDvd6_w

Deadtuber.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Is the speed at which the sample downloads slow for anyone else? Like "12 hours and 43 minutes remaining" slow?
It's because literally everyone and their mother is trying to get a hold of it right now.

I've rehosted it for you. This should be much faster - https://mega.co.nz/#!AFMBAIRA!IoNbdFLWJ ... igbpDvd6_w
Do you mind if I use your link as well? I haven't been able to download it either, and I tried the alternate link on their facebook page.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Go ahead! There's no limit on it, anyone can download it.

Deadtuber.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:26 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Go ahead! There's no limit on it, anyone can download it.
Thanks! I'll give that a crack later.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Hmm...I can't seem to figure out how to switch Mister Satan's voice to the Japanese setting. I don't see where to do it in his config file.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Wow, this looks fantastic! Namco-Bandai, wake up and pay attention!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:

Thank you so much! I've got it working and am playing around with it now. Very fun!
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Mr. Satan has one voice file. But the game is looking pretty good. Hopefully the next release comes with all the customizable palettes along with the palette guide. SSJ Goku Z2 and Vegeta Z2 had that in their standalone character releases.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 pm

So there is no way to pick which color palette you get? I've been trying to figure it out and even though I located the files with a number of different color palettes in them, I can't figure out how to apply any particular palette.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:14 am

Chuquita wrote:So there is no way to pick which color palette you get? I've been trying to figure it out and even though I located the files with a number of different color palettes in them, I can't figure out how to apply any particular palette.
There is a way to prioritize palette swaps, change them and even eliminate the ones you don't like, it has to do with the config file, I believe. But it is a bit confusing.

Edit:
They got featured in Shoryuken and TechnoBuffalo.