"Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: "Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:23 pm

^ Well, with the Unmei no Hi 2D mix, you know who it's meant for (but he's not available for now)! 8) It has quite a charm.
The rest seems either original (Megaman X-style?!) or inspired by the US soundtrack, so I prefer when that talented guy makes the music with remixes of the jap soundtracks/songs.

I already pretty much made my set list for the various stages, but...
if I understand well what Quebaz said, there are things that are not available in the demo but still available elsewhere, like the city stage?
Anyway, it's probably just that it's too early, they said they would make another, more evolved "sample pack" to download with Gohan and maybe Freezer if he's ready, so maybe they'll just put the city stage in it, maybe it wasn't ready at the time of the first sample release.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Yes, I believe it was a mistake from their part for not including it or it wasn't still ready (tho I would need to check the dates), but yes, It will probably be released alongside Gohan, Freeza and (if it's ready by then) Majin Vegeta.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:50 pm

There are many stages on Balthazar's site that are not included on the sample pack but ready and downloadable.
Among all those he shows, only the Apocalyptic Namek is not ready yet.
However, watch out because he confused the two versions of the Room of Spirirt and Time in the download links: the one that's not available in the sample pack is the "Aurora" night version, but the download link for it is on the regular ROSAT slot on his website, and vice versa!

I already changed the music, added music for the selection screen and victory screen, changed the names of the characters to those of the manga translation, started changing the victory texts to those of the manga translation.

The only thing that can't be changed, and the team is already aware of that, is the difficulty because they say it's sort of included in the characters' programming itself.
Even when Super Saiyan Goku has a difficulty level in his characters' data, changing it to the weakest still won't help.
But no worries, the team says that the upcoming Gohan will be easier to deal with, and that in due time, the other characters will be given new, easier versions.

In the meantime, Mister Satan is on the right difficulty level, so that's still an opponent we can beat! :wink:

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:36 am

Yeah, Iced is to blame for the difficulty, he cranked it up all the way to over 9000 and forgot that most casuals won't know how to deal with that. Heck, even pros will have a hard time. If I remember what he said correctly, it was just meant for show, com vs com battles. It's being fixed though.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 am

Because everyone doesn't necessarily keep up with every bit of news, or even old tidbits, here are some:

- Freezer, Gohan (after he had his potential extended by the Ancestral Kaio Shin) and Majin Vegeta are all in the works.
- Gohan's animations will include an exclusive, fully grown version of Hire Dragon, the dragon from the movies that has become an adult just like Gohan and looks quite more massive and threatening, but still behaves as Gohan's friend.
- When facing Vegeta in the current sample, you will sometimes happen to face him as a Super Saiyan, since it's one of his palette swaps.
- Even if you set the stages as a random choice, they will still be randomly associated to characters (long black screen before the first battle). Meaning if you exit the game and re-launch the arcade, a same character will have the same stage (if you fought Super Saiyan Goku in the desert, then exiting the game and facing Super Saiyan Goku again will lead you to the desert again). The only case in which the stages are randomized again is if you quit the application, or if you see the 5-seconds long black screen again.
- The VS screen is likely too short for you to put any music to it, don't bother.
- If you download DLC stages, you have to modify the config to ever play in them, since Arcade characters are set to specific stages originally included in the sample pack, and the "Stage select" option in other modes doesn't include the DLC stages if you don't set it to do so.

Current official Hyper Dragon Ball Z stages available:
- Mount Paozu: Goku's house
- Rock desert
- Room of Spirit and Time
- Planet Namek
- Vegeta's training planet
- Mount Paozu: Goku's house at night (DLC)
- Rock desert during a storm (DLC)
- Room of Spirit and Time at night (DLC)
- Vegeta's training planet in HD (DLC)
- West City (DLC)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:33 pm

I've been screwing around with my MUGEN the past few weeks, and I've imported the Goku (Base and SSJ) and Vegeta models into my game, and they're incredible. Lot's of love and care went into them, and I can't wait to play the full roster. The stages I have are great as well.

If anyone hasn't gotten into MUGEN yet, I highly suggest you check it out. It's got incredible customization, and a wonderfully creative/talented community. That, and it's fun to play.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:37 pm

@Cold Skin, you can costumize the character's stages as well, meaning that if you remove them out from the char part of the config but let them in the stage part in the config, it will be back to random.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Will the game have WizzyWhipitWonderful's soundtracks, for the stages at least? Because I'll cry if they aren't, I love his stuff.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:52 pm

To me, the stages are amazing with all those little details and animations, and it's fun to find the right theme for each of them.
I'd like Balthazar to come up with a lot of them, they are probably much easier and quicker to create than a character that has to have many sprites, AI programming, special moves, etc... His work so far is amazing.

I also enjoy the wide variety of intro/outro animations for the characters, they're often surprising and original, it makes me eager to find out what the new characters animations will be like!
Quebaz wrote:@Cold Skin, you can costumize the character's stages as well, meaning that if you remove them out from the char part of the config but let them in the stage part in the config, it will be back to random.
Yeah, I had already done it as soon as I'd seen stages were associated to characters.
Since I had downloaded more stages than there were characters, I removed all stages associations so that it would be random thanks to quick online tutos on how to do it.
But thanks for the advice anyway, could have been helpful! :wink:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Will the game have WizzyWhipitWonderful's soundtracks, for the stages at least? Because I'll cry if they aren't, I love his stuff.
It's not a problem cause you can easily put any music you want for the characters or stages as long as they're mp3 files.
So you'll have Wizzy's music if that's what you want, that's for sure! :)

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:13 am

I really like the way they paid attention to details in stages and in the many intro/win poses as well.

And making Super Saiyan Goku turning Super Saiyan 3 is the icing on the cake, but your best chance to perform the transformation is really against Mister Satan, I would dare to say it's impossible against other AI characters for now!

Since Balthazar doesn't seem to make any other stages right now, and stages are probably the easiest thing to create compared to creating characters since they're "just animated backgrounds", I checked elsewhere, but it's very hard to find good stages that look good with the rest. I only added 3 for now, which I'll likely erase if Balthazar ever makes his own version of those places.

Too bad the training sessions indicate the name of the move you have to do, but not the actual command. Luckily, there's a move list in the files. But the problem is that they end up asking you moves that are not indicated in the move list (Goku's "Blur Kick")... I wonder what the unlockable prizes are.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:58 am

Goku should have an attached readme file covering all his available moves. Vegeta's has his outfits too.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 am

Balthazar put this up today, a little update. Can't wait for this release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbtd9TKS1_g
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Like DarkPrince_92 said, Hyper Dragon Ball Z EVO 2014 pack release announcement!
Here you go, players! It sure took a while, and we didn't get everything we promised, but we figured you all got tired of waiting on Gohan by now. So here he is! Plus, the beta of Freeza is in there too!
Thanks to Chris Guillen for sharing with us he was planning to stream some Hyper Dragonball Z matches during EVO, and requested the have Gohan and Freeza beta's playable. We couldn't turn that down! So SSJ Goku's Teleport business was quickly nerfed/balanced by Cybaster, while Goku and Vegeta where both ready to go already. None of the characters have their AI edited yet, and Gohan and Freeza don't have any AI yet either.
But, screw it, what we REALLY care the most about are these wicked cool EVO player vs player matches! This is where the game really shines, so that's where we put our efforts.
So Hyper DBZ is going to EVO 2014 on beta phase with new characters. The new version will be available publicly after EVO finishes.
The EVO playthrough will be streamed here:
http://www.twitch.tv/guardbreak

Make no mistake, this is pretty huge.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:04 pm

I love, LOVE, LOVE the voice they got for Freeza. Spot on, IMO.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:57 pm

From the Facebook page:
HDBZ tournament seems be be moved just a little bit. It'll commence 4pm Pacific Time on twitch.tv/guardbreak.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 am

What about this is so special compared to other M.U.G.E.N.?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:23 am

hulkty wrote:What about this is so special compared to other M.U.G.E.N.?
Have you seen the clips? These guys are making some really good characters from scratch. Awesome sprite animation, cool music. It may run on the M.U.G.E.N engine, but these guys are essentially making the game from the ground up.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:56 am

Big Momma wrote:
Have you seen the clips? These guys are making some really good characters from scratch. Awesome sprite animation, cool music. It may run on the M.U.G.E.N engine, but these guys are essentially making the game from the ground up.
Looks like any other M.U.G.E.N. to me... :/
They made the sprites, that's fine...but what specifically is special decides that?
Anyone can edit sprites into different characters these days.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 pm

Download it and play it. It plays nothing like the other MUGEN games. As said previously, it's simply using the engine, it plays entirely differently.

An engine doesn't dictate gameplay. This isn't another lazy, derivative MUGEN title.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:44 pm

hulkty wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
Looks like any other M.U.G.E.N. to me... :/
They made the sprites, that's fine...but what specifically is special decides that?
Anyone can edit sprites into different characters these days.
Are you kidding me? I've never seen this high quality sprite work in M.U.G.E.N. ever. Let alone actually dedicated coding, maps, etc..
Normally the best stuff I seen in M.U.G.E.N. is ripped from other games, this was made from scratch. I'm sorry but it's downright disrespectful to say that this is no big deal.