"Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Re: Hyper Dragonball Z - 2D Arcade Style Fighting Videogame

Post by Quebaz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:29 am

DNA wrote:
Chuquita wrote:So there is no way to pick which color palette you get? I've been trying to figure it out and even though I located the files with a number of different color palettes in them, I can't figure out how to apply any particular palette.
There is a way to prioritize palette swaps, change them and even eliminate the ones you don't like, it has to do with the config file, I believe. But it is a bit confusing.
It's actually pretty simple. You open up the .def file located in the character folder, and you replace the palettes already there with the ones you want, after that you just need to save it and voila.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:13 pm

I tried downloading the demo but it says I don't have any programs compatible with the file, what program do I need to play the demo?
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:58 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:I tried downloading the demo but it says I don't have any programs compatible with the file, what program do I need to play the demo?
It's just an .exe file. You double click MUGEN and it'll just open unless you're on a Mac in which case you're shit out of luck.

Unless you're referring to the fact it's compressed into .RAR file in which case you just need to download WinRAR - http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:I tried downloading the demo but it says I don't have any programs compatible with the file, what program do I need to play the demo?
It's just an .exe file. You double click MUGEN and it'll just open unless you're on a Mac in which case you're shit out of luck.

Unless you're referring to the fact it's compressed into .RAR file in which case you just need to download WinRAR - http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Thanks! I just played it. But this game is tough as hell! I don't even know how to get out of the character select screen let alone win a match.
YouTube account:

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:

Thanks! I just played it. But this game is tough as hell! I don't even know how to get out of the character select screen let alone win a match.
Reminds me when I joined a mugen forum, its headline was "MUGEN! NOT USER-FRIENDLY! " :lol:
Anyway, to get out of the select screen (or anyhting for that matter) just hit esc. Also yeah, the AI is pretty tough, Iced mentioned they were going to nerf them tho as they didn't expect this many people to download the sample.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Anybody else had any issues configuring their controllers/fight sticks?

For some reason, for each button that I map, it skips me down two so I can't actually bind them all. Very peculiar.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Quebaz wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:

Reminds me when I joined a mugen forum, its headline was "MUGEN! NOT USER-FRIENDLY! " :lol:
Anyway, to get out of the select screen (or anyhting for that matter) just hit esc. Also yeah, the AI is pretty tough, Iced mentioned they were going to nerf them tho as they didn't expect this many people to download the sample.
Well, this is the very first Mugen I've played, so I guess that justifies my abysmal performances. :D

By the way, are there any combo guides or instructions?
YouTube account:

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Heh, they were featured on Dorkly too, this is really going rounds now. I'm happy they're finally getting the recognition they deserve.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:33 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:
Well, this is the very first Mugen I've played, so I guess that justifies my abysmal performances. :D

Of course, go inside each character folder you'll find a Read-me file with complete movelist (pictures included).
As for combos, go to training mode, pick Goku and as an oponent Vegeta, you'll see a promtp on a screen to press start, do so. You're now in challenge mode, where it will teach you Goku's movelist and tons of combos. For Vegeta there's a strategy guide on his readme and SSJGoku has a few in his readme I believe.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

Quebaz wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:

Of course, go inside each character folder you'll find a Read-me file with complete movelist (pictures included).
As for combos, go to training mode, pick Goku and as an oponent Vegeta, you'll see a promtp on a screen to press start, do so. You're now in challenge mode, where it will teach you Goku's movelist and tons of combos. For Vegeta there's a strategy guide on his readme and SSJGoku has a few in his readme I believe.
Uh... What's the start button again? :oops:

The button configuration menu says it's the "return" key and I've tried both the Enter and Back Space key but they both seem to get my back to the main menu.
YouTube account:

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am

TheUltimateVegito wrote:
Quebaz wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:

Uh... What's the start button again? :oops:

The button configuration menu says it's the "return" key and I've tried both the Enter and Back Space key but they both seem to get my back to the main menu.
Try to change it to something else. I currently have start on "V" and it works just fine.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Tumblr

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Managed to get it downloaded through Ajay's link (thanks again!) and it's pretty sweet. I'll need to plug in my controller later because pulling off Kamehamehas with the arrow keys is very difficult. :lol: Not that I'm very good at these games anyway.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:09 pm

From what I've seen, this game has something important that most Dragon Ball games lack: constantly refering to things the characters said or did. For every character, there's a moment where they won, a moment where they were ready to fight, a moment where they lose... and their animations should ALL be taken from moments of the story.

This was sometimes the case, such as Trunks winning in Raging Blast where he performed that "get my sword back in to my back" move that he did right after testing Goku. But seeing the animation where Vegeta arrives in his space pod, it makes me think "of course in any game, the animation when you lose a battle with Saiyan Saga Vegeta should be him calling his ship and painfully climbing in to fly off the battlefield" and things like that.

All animations, special moves, battle stances, provocation, from the beginning to the end of every fight, should be taken from the original material at all times, every single intro, win pose or "Continue" screen should remind you of "right, I've seen that during this scene of the original story! This is exactly who that character is!"

Plus, this game understood that outfits from the story need to be available as well: of course every game needs to have Goku with his "pre-Cell Game" "cool days" clothes just like this game allows!

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:16 pm

I hope you guys don't mind if I offer some criticism. I also have some experience with fighting games and I think I can offer some insight here.

1. You guys may have considered and rejected this, but I would really recommend the inclusion of a button combination for dashing/air dashing. This will make it a lot easier to maneuver around the screen. If there's trepidation regarding running with buttons, Skullgirls has a good implementation of this.
2. The Saibamen need serious tweaking. The tiny hitboxes are very frustrating, especially considering how many of them there are. I would recommend a single Saibaman, with a larger (but still smaller than the rest of the cast) hitbox.
3. Mr. Satan's tendency to roll out of every attack really becomes annoying. This is a combo based fighter after all. He's obviously just a gag character with little to no chance of winning, but it's still quite frustrating to fight against.
4. I would recommend that light moves (jabs, shorts) be made faster. In their current state, they feel incongruously sluggish. I can't really see the point in using them over a medium attack in many cases.
5. The screen space feels very constrained. For the amount of aerial movement going on, I think it would be much better to either open up the screen space or scale the characters down.

Overall, I think this has potential. I would love to see this come out great, because we really do need a solid 2d fighter in the DBZ franchise.

Edit 4/14: It also seems completely impossible to up-back out of SSJ Goku's cr. fierce. This could be intentional, but I think it would be better if you had the option to back off after that hits. It also adds combo potential.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

Iced

Re: "Hyper Dragonball Z" Videogame Discussion Thread

Post by Iced » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Glad to see a lot of people enjoyed it. We didnt know it would get this popular but we ended up in a lot of frontpages all over, which was really nice. Sad to see that we didnt get any love from kanzen frontpage but you cant win them all.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:02 pm

That video in the OP was incredible. Downloading the demo now as I type.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Sun May 11, 2014 2:09 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:You double click MUGEN and it'll just open unless you're on a Mac in which case you're shit out of luck.
MUGEN (and presumably Hyper DBZ had it existed at that point) used to work on Mac until OS X Mavericks came out. Now if you open it the game is playable but there is no display. I'll try and find a way to fix this as I am dying to play Hyper DBZ.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 pm

This is great. Mugen has a ton of potential, but 99% of the time the potential wasted, but I'm glad there are people like yourself who actually has aspirations beyond making Nightmare God Akuma SSX, no offense if you're into that sort of thing.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Fri May 16, 2014 4:34 pm

Well, after messing around with Wineskin, I managed to get Hyper DBZ to work on Mac. The game plays great and I can't wait for future updates, but damn the AI is brutal, and according to the update video, the difficulty is directly coded into the character AI and cannot be changed with the difficulty setting in the options menu. Hopefully when I get a USB adaptor for it, I can use my Tatsunoko vs. Capcom arcade stick with Hyper DBZ and see how it plays with that.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:21 am

I so badly want to to try out this game, yet I don't have a fast enougth computer. :cry: I really do hope this is a huge hit so it will convince Bandai to step up their game.