Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Parts 5-8) - COMPLETED!

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Parts 5-8) - COMPLETED!

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:26 am

I have re-inserted the original Kenji Yamamoto soundtrack into parts 5-8 of the English dub of "Dragon Ball Z Kai". Nearly all tracks from the Japanese broadcast are here, including the unreleased tracks that never made it onto a CD. For episodes 96, 97, and 98, I used a combination of my music selections and kei17's, as they were never officially aired with the Yamamoto soundtrack.

Download Link - Part 5
Download Link - Part 6
Download Link - Part 7
Download Link - Part 8
(Click on "Download as ZIP" in the top-right corner, or right-click on a file and download it individually!)

However, these folders do NOT contain the episodes, only the audio files for them. Obtain the episodes elsewhere (or rip them from a DVD/Blu-Ray) and use mkvmerge to combine them with their corresponding audio file. I have a tutorial on how to do this here. You will also need a program that plays MKV files. I personally recommend downloading the Combined Community Codec Pack, which contains MPC-HC.

Special Thanks to...
IAmTheMilkMan for ripping “Creature of Marvel (Slow Version)” and “Ominous Silence ~Bukimi na Shizukesa~ (Sans Harmonica)”

dany1994gus for ripping “The Braveheart Challenges the Strong (Alternate)” from episode 76

kei17 for ripping “Gohan’s Awakening”, doing the music selections for episode 96, as well as some of the selections for 97 and 98!

kenisu for his BGM documentation
Last edited by SuperSaiyanHedgehog on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Parts 5-8)

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:42 am

This'll do nicely to finish up my Kai collection. I'm away right now so I don't have the internet capable of downloading it to check but how's the mixing? What was your process of getting this all done?

What were your methods of retaining the audio effects that aren't isolated from the music? Did you just grab it from the Japanese broadcast? How did you handle overlapping sections? Are there any moments you simply couldn't recover?

Thanks for the hard work! I'll be interested to hear this come Saturday when I'm home.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:25 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:This'll do nicely to finish up my Kai collection. I'm away right now so I don't have the internet capable of downloading it to check but how's the mixing? What was your process of getting this all done?

What were your methods of retaining the audio effects that aren't isolated from the music? Did you just grab it from the Japanese broadcast? How did you handle overlapping sections? Are there any moments you simply couldn't recover?

Thanks for the hard work! I'll be interested to hear this come Saturday when I'm home.
During any scenes in the episodes where there was no music playing, I have left all audio tracks from the 5.1 mix in. This means that any ambient sounds in those scenes (wind blowing, car noises in the cities) can still be heard. For all other scenes, only the main dialogue/sfx track containing no music is used. However, if there are any noticeable reverb effects in those scenes (character's thoughts or loud screaming), I have used my editing software to put reverb effects back into those sections. This means you should always hear an echo whenever a character is thinking to him/herself. I left the next episode preview (NEP) and eyecatch music mostly untouched, except for the latter in any cases where the music overlapped it. Whenever that happened, I removed the eyecatch music from the episode and put it back in using the correct track on the CD, so it wouldn't awkwardly cut out at the point when a track started playing. I did make the first few seconds of the NEP (where it shows Goku in Kami's Lookout) louder, because I always thought it was too quiet on the FUNimation DVDs. The openings and endings remain untouched, so no volume changes or anything like that. I can assure you that the music quality is fantastic. I have personally ripped soundtracks 2 and 3, along with Complete Song Collection in lossless WAV. I obtained soundtrack 1 from another website, but it was still ripped from the CD in 320kbps. I don't know how anyone could tell the difference if they don't have extremely expensive headphones. As for the mixing of the tracks, I have made sure it is always quiet enough to hear any important dialogue clearly and I have edited them down in the same ways that they were on the Japanese broadcast, with exact timing as to what part of each track plays during a specific shot. Also, I have used crossfading to shorten the tracks as necessary, so it shouldn't sound awkward whenever a track is edited down.
Last edited by SuperSaiyanHedgehog on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:51 pm

So which sounds, if any, are missing from the sections which do have music?

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Fizzer wrote:So which sounds, if any, are missing from the sections which do have music?
Pretty much none at all. The only difference is that some sound effects may not be as loud or have less bass.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 am

Wouldn't do this for the last three episodes of the Japanese version, would you?
SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:

I am re-inserting the original Kenji Yamamoto soundtrack into parts 5-8 of the English dub of "Dragon Ball Z Kai". Nearly all tracks from the Japanese broadcast will be here, including the unreleased tracks that never made it onto a CD. For episodes 96, 97 and 98, I will be making my own music selections, as they were never aired with the Yamamoto soundtrack.

~Download Links~
Part Five (Episodes 53-65)
Part Six (Episodes 66-77 - Coming Soon)
Part Seven (Episodes 78-88 - Coming Soon)
Part Eight (Episodes 89-98 - Coming Soon)

However, these folders do NOT contain the episodes, only the audio files for them. Obtain the episodes elsewhere (or rip them from a DVD/Blu-Ray) and use mkvmerge to combine them with their corresponding audio file. I have a tutorial on how to do this here. You will also need a program that plays MKV files. I personally recommend MPC-HC.

Special Thanks to...
IAmTheMilkMan for ripping “Creature of Marvel (Slow Version)” and “Ominous Silence ~Bukimi na Shizukesa~ (Sans Harmonica)”

dany1994gus for ripping “The Braveheart Challenges the Strong (Alternate)” from episode 76

TheWorldDBZ for ripping “Gohan’s Awakening”

• SD&Taka and Freeze-subs for uploading the Japanese broadcast episodes

• thenoobish of The Pirate Bay for uploading the English dubbed episodes

kenisu for his BGM documentation

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm

MEGA removed my files. I'm re-uploading it to MediaFire, so expect to see it back up soon.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:20 pm

sangofe wrote:Wouldn't do this for the last three episodes of the Japanese version, would you?
Yes, I will. Check the original post.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm

It's back up! I also fixed a missing reverb effect in episode 60 and added chapter files that you can use in mkvmerge.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 pm

Solid job overall but your levels are pretty messy. I don't know if you're mixing through headphones or speakers but the score is far too quiet in comparison to the dialogue quite a lot of the time. I'm going to assume headphones since the dynamic range tends to be far less so it probably will have sounded right to you through them.

If the score was bumped up a fair bit more then it'd be great. Must have been pretty time consuming to get this all done!

Deadtuber.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Solid job overall but your levels are pretty messy. I don't know if you're mixing through headphones or speakers but the score is far too quiet in comparison to the dialogue quite a lot of the time. I'm going to assume headphones since the dynamic range tends to be far less so it probably will have sounded right to you through them.

If the score was bumped up a fair bit more then it'd be great. Must have been pretty time consuming to get this all done!
Yes, I am using Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. However, I will make the score in Part 6 louder, and I will go back and make Part 5 louder soon. In fact, the latter will be my top priority. I want this to be as fantastic as it can be.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 am

sangofe wrote:Wouldn't do this for the last three episodes of the Japanese version, would you?
Thanks, I read it three times and I saw no mention of it. Btw, would it be possible to only place music so they could be used for any version or is everything mixed together? I'd so love to have this for the french dub when the bd's start to come out...

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:24 pm

sangofe wrote:Btw, would it be possible to only place music so they could be used for any version or is everything mixed together? I'd so love to have this for the french dub when the bd's start to come out...
Everything's mixed together. However, it should be possible to release audio files that contain only the music/ambient SFX so people could combine them with other dubs mixed in 5.1 surround. Sorry, but I don't think I'll be up to doing that, though. I already have enough on my hands.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:12 am

sangofe wrote:
Thanks, I read it three times and I saw no mention of it. Btw, would it be possible to only place music so they could be used for any version or is everything mixed together? I'd so love to have this for the french dub when the bd's start to come out...
You shouldn't assume that the French BDs will even have 5.1 in the first place — 5.1 for TV dubs of stuff that was originally stereo isn't usually done outside America.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm getting permission denied when I try to download.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:30 pm

cloud1414 wrote:I'm getting permission denied when I try to download.
Not sure why that's happening. It's working fine for me. Just make sure to enter the captcha correctly.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:03 pm

It won't even take you to the captcha.

Deadtuber.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:58 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:It won't even take you to the captcha.

I will re-upload it once I have finished raising the volume of the score, like I said I would earlier.
Last edited by SuperSaiyanHedgehog on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:03 am

Cool! Thanks a lot.

Deadtuber.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:26 am

I'm reviving this for a simple audio question I have; hopefully this is the right place to get answers. I have the same problem Ajay has with, well, pretty much any 5.1 mix FUNimation has ever made for Dragonball Z - Kikuchi or otherwise. Is there an easy way to raise the levels of the music in a media player on my computer without having to actually rip the files? I imagine the music is mostly in the rear channels.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]