Big Picture: ALL DONE

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Big Picture: ALL DONE

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:33 pm

-----------------------------

(PROJECT COMPLETED! The final collage and follow-up posts can be seen starting here!)

The small(ish) version:
The full-resolution 2000-by-20,000 pixel version

-----------------------------
Some time ago I was screwing around with the idea of dividing up all the characters based on tiers rather than battle powers or whatever, but the other day it occurred to me that rather than a long boring list, a more interesting application of that same basic idea would be a big picture. Basically, an image with Vegetto on top, Bulma/Oolong/whoever on bottom, and everyone else in between, with characters who are supposed to be roughly the same strength grouped together vertically. At a rough estimate, sticking just with the manga this would be one image depicting approximately 150 characters (including multiple instances of the same character at different forms/time periods) divided up along maybe 50~60 vertical levels. I think this sort of visual representation of the series' power scale would be an interesting change of pace from standard fan-made lists and X >>> Y-type posts, and would also simply be a cool image that anyone could appreciate regardless of whether they give a monkey about strength debates.

Sadly, I don't have the artistic skills to pull this off myself, so I'm taking the path of all great leaders and trying to shove all the hard work off on others. The plan is that anyone interested can contact me, and I'll assign them a character or two to draw. If that goes well and they'll still interested, they can move on to another. I'll assign people the characters to draw and describe any particular pose or details I might have in mind. Well, that's how it's supposed to work in theory, anyway. I did get caught up in other projects and let this one slide by the wayside for...oh, only a year or so.

Here's the rough draft I threw together after much research and drinking:
So basically, I just need people to replace all those stupid squares with actual pictures of the characters. Simple...right?

===Credits===

Main Image
Extras
These people were nice enough to draw pictures for me, but he these were not incorporated into the final image for one reason or another, usually due to spacing issues.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Big Picture: help wanted

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Me, me!

Just spitballing here, but it could be fun to see the lower-tier characters drawn in a more simplified style, and the higher up on the "pyramid" you go, the more detailed they'd become. Then again, that could make assigning "chunks" a bit more complicated, and a more consistent "style" would be easier to work with, if a large number of artists get involved.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DBGT101
Patreon Supporter

Post by DBGT101 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:33 pm

i'd be willing to give it a shot. just let me know which characters and when you want it done.

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:26 pm

This is quite the undertaking, and it can potentially be one of the coolest things made in the fan community. However with a goal of nearly 150 characters represented, the wider the involvement, the better. Even with super deformed art, this will take a lot of time. And for those who would feel uncomfortable submitting line-art, perhaps a group of willing colorists could join in on the fun to speed things along?

I'm definitely on board in whatever capacity needed and would get a kick out of seeing everyone else's art as well. Just let me know! :-D
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Detective X wrote:And for those who would feel uncomfortable submitting line-art, perhaps a group of willing colorists could join in on the fun to speed things along
I second this! Colorists would definitely be a big help! Maybe pair one with a line-art person who isn't comfortable enough with their own coloring?

...though, this is all assuming we get a big enough team going. Highly recommend spreading the word about this to other artists you know!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Something like this?:
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Herms already contacted me about this, and I'm reporting in as lead artist and head powar levuls consultant. Looking forward to working with y'all on this.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Kaboom wrote:Herms already contacted me about this, and I'm reporting in as lead artist and head powar levuls consultant. Looking forward to working with y'all on this.
I reeaallllly wished that you would work on a project Hujio had commissioned to us. We need all the help we can get. Just by having you help me with GT pages would be tremendous.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:28 pm

I wish I could help, but unfortunately I can't. I hope you all can complete it, though, and I look forward to (hopefully) seeing the finished product. :thumbup:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:29 am

Glad to hear from everyone!

Some more thoughts: I was thinking of organizing it with Goku in the middle, with each successive form/age above the last, with other major characters grouped around him. Characters grouped close together could be shown interacting in some way. Goku and Jackie Chun doing their double knock-out kick, Recoom/Jheese/Burta posing, stuff like that.
DaemonCorps wrote:Just spitballing here, but it could be fun to see the lower-tier characters drawn in a more simplified style, and the higher up on the "pyramid" you go, the more detailed they'd become. Then again, that could make assigning "chunks" a bit more complicated, and a more consistent "style" would be easier to work with, if a large number of artists get involved.
Yeah, it seems unavoidable that there will be many more characters bunched together lower down, while near the top there will usually just be one or two characters per "level", which might make it look odd. Having the top characters in more detail might be one way to deal with that, but like you said I'm worried about keeping a consistent style.

I guess including movie or anime-only characters might help keep the upper levels from looking too bare-bones, but that could make things way more complicated/controversial. I did also have a vague idea about grouping things so that the more uncertain a character's power is, the further out towards the edge they'll be.
Sandubadear wrote:Something like this?:
Yeah, set-up wise it'd be very similar to that. But rather than cards, full pictures of each character (in probably chibi/simplified style, but still, an image drawn specifically for this project rather than something taken from stock).

This Japanese fansite has a diagram based on a similar principle: the rectangles are characters, showing their relation to each other as they power up, and circles identify their method of training/powering up. I was thinking of incorporating that sort of information in this project, but it might over-complicate things.
Kaboom wrote:Herms already contacted me about this, and I'm reporting in as lead artist and head powar levuls consultant. Looking forward to working with y'all on this.
"Head" consultant, huh? Let's not get carried away. :P

(Somewhat seriously, since you are a "known quantity" in strength debate circles, I am a little worried about this coming across as an illustration of specifically your views on things. Not really sure on how to avoid that, but since this project will out of necessity keep to mostly the broad strokes rather than specifics, it might not really be an issue anyway.)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:54 am

Herms wrote:Somewhat seriously, since you are a "known quantity" in strength debate circles, I am a little worried about this coming across as an illustration of specifically your views on things. Not really sure on how to avoid that, but since this project will out of necessity keep to mostly the broad strokes rather than specifics, it might not really be an issue anyway.
Yep, that's what I'm expecting, too. We keep it to broad, non-committal tiers rather than individual rankings, and cite as many official sources for things as possible for the sake of neutrality.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:41 pm

Sounds fun and interesting. Count me in!

So If I understand the correctly, the "weaker" or lower tier characters are drawn in a simpler, chibi style than those who are strongest at the top? Or are they all drawn the same way?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Scarz wrote:So If I understand the correctly, the "weaker" or lower tier characters are drawn in a simpler, chibi style than those who are strongest at the top? Or are they all drawn the same way?
It's something I'm considering, but I'm not sure. Thinking about it now, I'd probably prefer to have all the characters drawn in the same type of "chibi", but I'll see what everyone thinks.

Meanwhile, here's the start of my extremely scientific attempt to establish the tiers to base this picture on. Really, really scientific. Yep. I've included characters who probably won't make it into the actual picture. It all depends on if anyone wants to bother drawing, say, Piano or the King Castle Guard.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:53 am

I'm no artist but would grouping them in a tier pyramid type of thing be a good idea? since it would get thinned out as you progress to the top, Vegito would be at the point, sitting criss-crossed or something with his arms folded.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:52 am

So the final image would be something like this:
but with the characters only from the manga/anime (excluding the movies) arranged in descending order of strength?

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:51 am

Tzigi wrote:So the final image would be something like this:
but with the characters only from the manga/anime (excluding the movies) arranged in descending order of strength?
Yeah, along those lines.

So I've continued my attempt to work out the chart this picture will be based on, and have reach the end of the Freeza arc. Right now I'm already up to 151 different characters/forms, though a lot of the minor ones can be safely left out. Since the plan is to combine separate mini-images done by various artists, it'd be best to start with the most major characters/forms and work from there out to the minor ones. The more people willing to draw minor characters, the more can be included. Maybe even branch out to anime/movie characters. Dare we incorporate GT and Super?

Right now it looks like we've got 5 volunteers, so if we stick to 150 characters total that's 30 a pop. How's that sound for you all? It might be best for one artist to draw all of a given character's forms. That way, even if Vegeta might be drawn in a different style than Goku due to different artists, at least Vegeta himself will always be drawn in the same style throughout.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Herms wrote:Right now it looks like we've got 5 volunteers, so if we stick to 150 characters total that's 30 a pop. How's that sound for you all? It might be best for one artist to draw all of a given character's forms. That way, even if Vegeta might be drawn in a different style than Goku due to different artists, at least Vegeta himself will always be drawn in the same style throughout.
I personally wouldn't mind if the styles were different for the same character throughout the series. If anything, I was thinking that a tier of characters should be done in the same style since they'd all be bundled next to each other. Would we be assigned characters by tier or were you thinking more of a "whoever wants it, gets it" approach?

DBGT101
Patreon Supporter

Post by DBGT101 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:55 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:
Herms wrote:Right now it looks like we've got 5 volunteers, so if we stick to 150 characters total that's 30 a pop. How's that sound for you all? It might be best for one artist to draw all of a given character's forms. That way, even if Vegeta might be drawn in a different style than Goku due to different artists, at least Vegeta himself will always be drawn in the same style throughout.
I personally wouldn't mind if the styles were different for the same character throughout the series. If anything, I was thinking that a tier of characters should be done in the same style since they'd all be bundled next to each other. Would we be assigned characters by tier or were you thinking more of a "whoever wants it, gets it" approach?
I was thinking the same as it would sorta be similar to how Toriyama's art style had changed throughout the series.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:04 pm

Herms wrote:Dare we incorporate GT and Super?
Doing GT and Super together would be a bad idea, since nobody agrees on which has the stronger characters. It would be better to first make a big pic for the manga, then another for movies, then another for GT, then another for Super.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
Herms wrote:Dare we incorporate GT and Super?
Doing GT and Super together would be a bad idea, since nobody agrees on which has the stronger characters. It would be better to first make a big pic for the manga, then another for movies, then another for GT, then another for Super.
I think DBZ/Super would be okay together, and if GT will be a problem with Super, there could be a special GT branch.