Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [COMPLETE!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [~90% Complete]

Post by emperior » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:26 am

Can't wait to watch it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Nice work so far, Ajay! Can't wait to see the final product!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:24 pm

The only problem with this is that we have to wait a couple years for Funi's Super blu-ray's to come out (if they come out at all) so you can be able to use official subtitles and edit them into this Super Cut. Well, that and being able to use the English surround sound mix to reduce the new sound effects.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:32 pm

I won't be using the official subtitles either way.

Dragon Team and Over8000's subtitles are accurate. And with the incredibly bizarre choices Simmons has been making lately, I can't imagine I'll prefer them. I certainly didn't for this film.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Ajay wrote:Dragon Team and Over8000's subtitles are accurate. And with the incredibly bizarre choices Simmons has been making lately, I can't imagine I'll prefer them. I certainly didn't for this film.
I didn't find anything out of the ordinary of unusual with the English official subtitles for Resurrection F. But I'm curious, what were the bizarre choices that you saw with Simmons subtitles for Resurrection F?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Super Saiyan Blue explanation was muddied. Steve "Stiff" Simmons returns with his signature clunky dialogue. Sisami. Beers the Destroyer.

Nitpicky nonsense nobody gives a shit about, but will forever annoy the ever loving crap out of me. Stuff I don't want in an edit that's primarily for me.

Deadtuber.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:14 pm

The transition into Tate's cut in my edit has been annoying me forever. In Super, Freeza wraps his tail around Goku's neck on the ground before lifting him up into the sky. There was no place for all of that, so I'd been using a cutaway to Vegeta to mask the tail grab before cutting to Tate's awesome cut.

Today I finally solved the issue by biting the bullet and replacing the entire background. It took forever for something that's only a few seconds long, but it was definitely worth it. The transition doesn't feel awkward anymore.

Here's a gif comparison:

Cutting around all the individual frames and replacing the backgrounds was not fun.

About to render this out and send it over to Sangofe for timing. Not long now!

Deadtuber.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:01 pm

That looks great! That'll make for a much nicer transition than what you showed me earlier.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 pm

Everything's turning out nicely.

Currently having the lovely Detective X redraw a lingering frame from Tate's cut since it's horribly distracting in a movie context.

I'm sure you all know the one:
Here's the WIP:
He's trying to match Tate's simpler drawings, so that the redraw doesn't stand out too much against the rest of the cut. Should turn out nicely!

Deadtuber.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Ajay wrote:
Today I finally solved the issue by biting the bullet and replacing the entire background. It took forever for something that's only a few seconds long, but it was definitely worth it. The transition doesn't feel awkward anymore.

Here's a gif comparison:
I'd love to hear more about how you did that. Did you capture each frame and then use something like the magic wand tool or literally manually erase the background in every frame in a photo editing program?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:09 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'd love to hear more about how you did that. Did you capture each frame and then use something like the magic wand tool or literally manually erase the background in every frame in a photo editing program?
Sure, no problem.

I opened the scene up and went frame by frame, capturing an image every single time it swapped to a new one. Thankfully, it was only animated at about 12fps, so I ended up with 25 frames overall.
I then took this into Photoshop, put them in the right order, and began masking out the background using the pen tool. I added a 2px feather to the cutout since the line art isn't pin sharp so I wanted to preserve the smooth edge.
For sections where Tate had gone out side of easily workable lines, I used a low opacity brush to paint the area back in on the mask.

After that, I placed in a background I'd made by removing the characters using the clone stamp. In fact, it was made using one of the images I linked in the redraw post above:
So I did that 25 times, putting each frame into a group as I went. Once I was done, I converted each group into a smart object, before heading to File > Scripts > Export Layers to Files.

I then opened Premier Pro and went frame by frame through the original footage, adding in the new frame each time it changed. I ended up with this. Was pretty cool to see how the animation timing worked.
That's pretty much it, I think. The only other thing I did was selecting them all and nesting them just so that they were easier to work with.

Here's the timeline of the new fight I constructed:

Deadtuber.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:10 am

I am really looking forward to this! The amount of effort you're putting into it is very inspiring.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:14 am

Appreciated. Though to be perfectly honest, I feel like some people may be let down. For the most part, it's just chopping Super up and placing it in the necessary places. The stuff that's taken a lot of work is so minor that I'll be surprised if anyone even notices it while watching. It's mostly just been continuity stuff.

I just hope fans will walk away from it feeling like they got a fun little extended edition, rather than a crazy new version of the film.

Deadtuber.

Psykomatik
Regular

Re: Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [~95% @ Timing]

Post by Psykomatik » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 am

So... you don't plan on releasing a .mkv or a RAW version of your Super Cut? :cry:
Last edited by Psykomatik on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:34 am

Ajay wrote:Appreciated. Though to be perfectly honest, I feel like some people may be let down. For the most part, it's just chopping Super up and placing it in the necessary places. The stuff that's taken a lot of work is so minor that I'll be surprised if anyone even notices it while watching. It's mostly just been continuity stuff.

I just hope fans will walk away from it feeling like they got a fun little extended edition, rather than a crazy new version of the film.
From what I've seen of your work so far, you've already improved a fair amount of issues I had with the film (beyond the obvious ones). For example, I love how you fixed the scene where Goku dashes at Freeza after they transform. You do intend to go right to Shimanuki's cut in Super for that right? Cause that's already awesome. I hated the weird, slow little CG dash, it took away from the excitement that moment was supposed to have.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Psykomatik wrote:So... you don't plan on releasing a .mkv or a RAW version of your Super Cut ? :cry:
An MKV will be released. Not here, of course, but keep an eye on my Twitter once I announce it's done and maybe you'll find it.
Wezenheim wrote:From what I've seen of your work so far, you've already improved a fair amount of issues I had with the film (beyond the obvious ones). For example, I love how you fixed the scene where Goku dashes at Freeza after they transform. You do intend to go right to Shimanuki's cut in Super for that right? Cause that's already awesome. I hated the weird, slow little CG dash, it took away from the excitement that moment was supposed to have.
Yeah, that's totally gone. Here's a preview if you're interested. I accidentally rendered the clip with one of the audio tracks disabled, so there's some missing sound effects and dialogue towards the end of the clip. Not a huge deal for a preview, but yeah.

Deadtuber.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Ajay wrote:Yeah, that's totally gone. Here's a preview if you're interested. I accidentally rendered the clip with one of the audio tracks disabled, so there's some missing sound effects and dialogue towards the end of the clip. Not a huge deal for a preview, but yeah.
I know it's a ton of extra work you probably don't want to indulge in, but the battle damage throughout the clips seems awfully inconsistent.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Ajay wrote:Yeah, that's totally gone. Here's a preview if you're interested. I accidentally rendered the clip with one of the audio tracks disabled, so there's some missing sound effects and dialogue towards the end of the clip. Not a huge deal for a preview, but yeah.
That looks really good! Looking forward to the final product. The little additions from Super as well as your edits seem to be doing the final fight more justice than the film (and even the show!) ever did.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Ajay wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:So... you don't plan on releasing a .mkv or a RAW version of your Super Cut ? :cry:
An MKV will be released. Not here, of course, but keep an eye on my Twitter once I announce it's done and maybe you'll find it.
Oww you're awesome mate!!!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:I know it's a ton of extra work you probably don't want to indulge in, but the battle damage throughout the clips seems awfully inconsistent.
Yeah, it's a shame, but at some point you just have to stop and accept there's going to be differences like that, sadly. Tate's style is insanely different compared to the rest of the film too, since he doesn't use white highlights on the face or hair. A minor thing like that was worth more to me than sticking with a gross CG cut for the sake of some lines on a face.

Hopefully it doesn't bother anyone too much. I've tried to address the most glaring issues like Gohan's gi in Super being filled with holes.

I think the only 'major' issue is that Goku's puncture wound moves, but it's such a small scene that I wasn't particularly bothered.

Deadtuber.