Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [COMPLETE!]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [~80% Complete]

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:38 pm

Zephyr wrote:Any particular reason you're removing Piccolo dying? It doesn't bother me one way or the other, just curious.
Continuity issues and plus it was useless in the long-run, I imagine.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:10 pm

Your Faulconer mash-up reminded me that I'd love to see scenes from this movie scored with some Kikuchi instead of Sumitomo's music.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:56 pm

Ajay wrote:
Zombie wrote: Ugh... :sick:
Ha, that's the reaction I was looking for. Didn't expect so many people to like it.

Also didn't expect almost everyone to ignore the actual project over a joke clip. :(
I always liked this Faulconer meets BoG clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uDAVsxcOM

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:36 am

Zephyr wrote:Any particular reason you're removing Piccolo dying? It doesn't bother me one way or the other, just curious.
Probably because it was unnecessary right? In my opinion killing Piccolo was 100 percent meaningless and reviving him off screen was even worse. The fact that he's now revived and seems to be unaffected by his death and even goes as far as to refuse Goku's offer about training with him is 10x worse. It's like he's going to turn into the new Gohan and rely on Goku to protect the Earth from major threats or the Dragon Balls to revive him from now on. If they wanted to give Gohan a reason to train, Freeza shooting him down and making him feel utterly helpless to protect his family should have been enough. I'm about 90 percent certain Piccolo was killed for nostalgic reasons though.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:51 am

Essentially what everyone's said so far. It turned out to be an extremely unnecessary addition.

I suppose some could argue that it's added motivation for Gohan to train again, but I feel like Videl and Pan dying is just as compelling by itself.

I really enjoyed the nice little throwback when watching it in Super, but when nothing particularly unique was done with it, it just came across like needless pandering. Same reason Ginyu is being cut.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:10 am

That makes sense. And yeah, Videl and Pan dying should be sufficiently compelling reason for him to train again. You'd also have to edit his tracksuit to have holes everywhere for the remainder of the film portions, which I could see being an editing nightmare.

Definitely looking forward to watching this in its completed form. The only thing that disappoints me about you scrapping the Battle of Gods - Super Cut is that we won't see the flashback of Beerus lambasting King Vegeta over the most comfortable pillow in the definitive version. It was one of the few parts of the film that I really enjoyed Super's contribution to. You make a really solid point though: Battle of Gods on its own was an incredibly solid work.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Will you add some of the training that had Goku and Vegeta with Whis ? (Super Saiyan Blue aura in episode 20 ? Any training they had during Dragon Ball Super with Whis and the movie are pretty well animated so do as you want !)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:04 pm

At a point now where I'm pretty much 100% happy with the final cut.

Previously, the film opened with Goku and Kuririn and even featured Goku asking Whis to train him. It was a lot of bloat that really didn't service the plot nor its themes.

Instead, I've cut that, and begin with Vegeta stood on the mountain lamenting over his inability to match Goku at the "level of Gods". It creates a much darker opening to the film and definitely supports my intention to really make this the Vegeta-centric film we wanted it to be.

It now goes Vegeta on the cliff ---> Freeza in hell ---> Vegeta begs Whis to train him ---> Freeza's Revival ---> Goku arriving at Whis' place to train, much to Vegeta's annoyance.

The flow is much nicer now, and the run time is at a reasonable two hours (almost exactly on the nose), so I think I'm pretty much done.

I'm just in the process of replacing the TV footage with the newly released BD footage, and then it's on to timing the subs, which thankfully someone else is doing for me.

Deadtuber.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:18 pm

I eagerly await at seeing a version of F that doesn't suck total monkey balls and from what I'm seeing, this might just be it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 pm

One thing I'm wondering is if there are any parts of Resurrection 'F' that you wish were cut or trimmed down in length. Not that I'll necessarily cut anything for my version, I'm just quite curious.

Right now, I've not cut anything from the original film. I've only replaced it with Super's alternatives or added on to it.

Anything you wish wasn't there in the first place?

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Resurrection 'F' - Super Cut [~90% Complete]

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Nice to know it's practically finished, Ajay. Really excited to see the final cut. :)
Ajay wrote:One thing I'm wondering is if there are any parts of Resurrection 'F' that you wish were cut or trimmed down in length. Not that I'll necessarily cut anything for my version, I'm just quite curious.

Right now, I've not cut anything from the original film. I've only replaced it with Super's alternatives or added on to it.

First Form Freeza practically killing Gohan with one blow. I may not be a huge fan of the character Gohan himself, but I would lying if I said I was okay with that scene. It just felt pointless. Like we already know that Freeza has become supposedly insanely strong in four months, did Gohan really have to be the sacrificial lamb to get that point across? Freeza transforming into Golden Freeza and kicking SSJB Goku's ass was more than enough of a way to get that point across in the movie. We really didn't need First Form Freeza practically killing Gohan just to emphasise that statement.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Ajay wrote:One thing I'm wondering is if there are any parts of Resurrection 'F' that you wish were cut or trimmed down in length. Not that I'll necessarily cut anything for my version, I'm just quite curious.

The Freeza fight constantly getting interrupted by pointless side character commentary grated on my nerves after they both transform. The fight simply can't pick up a decent pace without so many cutaways to people talking about the fight itself. That could definitely use some trimming.

Whis explaining his time reversal after Beerus accidentally blows up a planet up with his sneeze is another one I'd cut out although I'm pretty sure you said you'd have to keep that.

I'd also cut out the ending with them basically giving a middle finger to character development. The Super ending with them celebrating is pretty fine, it's just that conversation that needs to go.

There's other stuff but you've either addressed it by adding things in or is impossible to fix without basically re-writing & re-making the movie from scratch which is pretty impossible.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:01 pm

The Freeza fight constantly getting interrupted by pointless side character commentary grated on my nerves after they both transform. The fight simply can't pick up a decent pace without so many cutaways to people talking about the fight itself. That could definitely use some trimming.
That's a pretty valid point. My only concern with that is that it might make Whis and Beerus' appearance quite shoehorned. They'd be turning up for ice cream and then we'd never actually see them eating it. I'm cautious about cutting Toriyama humour moments from the film because I do enjoy them, but they were definitely misplaced during the film.

If it weren't for the sky changes, I'd place their scenes prior to the transformation. Then the tension would naturally build up. Not much I can do there, I guess.

Deadtuber.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Will you release a RAW / .MKV version ? I wanna do french subs for you're amazing job when i've time, but it's impossible if the only release i have is the .MP4 one...
Hope you understand !

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Will you be replacing all the sound effects with the old ones or sticking to what's already there?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Sadly, it's impossible to replace Super's sound effects, since it's a stereo track. Thankfully, most of the Super clips I've used don't contain sound effects that have Arai counter-parts, so they don't clash at all.

With the Shimanuki and Tate cuts that I've included, I totally scrapped all of their audio and redid all the effects from scratch, so they do in fact use Arai's effects. It was too weird going from one to the other across scenes. At least there's consistency there. The others should be too far apart to notice.

The biggest thing with the audio is the huge dynamic range of the movie audio compared to the TV stuff. I've painstakingly gone through and tried to fix all of the movie audio to match Super's. It seems to have worked so far, so hopefully you won't be turning the volume up and down constantly.

I spent the other day replacing all the Super clips with available Blu-ray footage. Will definitely have to go back and do the rest once Box 3 is out. The difference is clarity is quite jarring.

I put Freeza's scene in hell before the credits, and have now added Champa and Vados' first appearance post-credits, instead.

I just finished my first watch-through. There were about three errors that I spotted, so hopefully everything will be done soon!

Oh yeah, I did the titles, too:

Deadtuber.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:22 pm

What's the approximate runtime if you don't mind me asking? I'm assuming a good deal longer than the original movie.

EDIT: Shit, how'd you get the purple right for the added stuff? I've been trying to do it for my analysis of F series and I just can't get it right.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:25 pm

It's two hours on the dot including credits, so more like ~1hr 50, I guess. Not too bad.

I added a gradient-coloured stroke to the text, and just used the colour picker to match the lightest and darkest parts of the gradient. I then rasterised the layer and featured the edge. That was pretty much it!

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Kickass title screen, Ajay. :clap: :thumbup:

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:08 pm

I can't wait to watch this. Ajay is even more of a hall of famer now.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ