Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aspiring-Creator

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Tye2K wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:44 am Is this project still alive?? I've been waiting on that Buu Recut for a good year now, as well as the original Z recut (the only available one is by Spyro Chris, but honestly based on how it was executed, calling it a "recut" is highly debatable).
While I am not the creator obviously, from what I've read in these forums, it's still alive. I think the issue is that compared to the previous two recuts, this one is going to take a lot more time since it involves outright replacing footage with I believe the Dragon Box stuff (And from what I've heard, syncing Kai dialogue to the original footage is IMMENSELY difficult.) to get this to be 4:3, editing the spoilers out of the intros and probably the usual stuff of finding dub dialogue that can maybe replace lines in Kai that he felt were changed too much and so on.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 pm

I'm sure he's putting the work in where he can. Fan projects are usually developed in the creators' own free time, and this one spans several hundred episodes' worth of content in two languages, with pretty meticulous attention to detail in accordance both with the manga and other versions of the dub. Depending on how this year's been to him, there could be any number of things getting in the way of that.

I wouldn't be dissuaded by milkman himself not having posted for a while, we've seen multiple months-long gaps between his replies before, but he's been pretty reliable. It's all a matter of patience and understanding.

TARIPAR

Post by TARIPAR » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:50 pm

Aspiring-Creator wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:52 pm While I am not the creator obviously, from what I've read in these forums, it's still alive. I think the issue is that compared to the previous two recuts, this one is going to take a lot more time since it involves outright replacing footage with I believe the Dragon Box stuff (And from what I've heard, syncing Kai dialogue to the original footage is IMMENSELY difficult.) to get this to be 4:3, editing the spoilers out of the intros and probably the usual stuff of finding dub dialogue that can maybe replace lines in Kai that he felt were changed too much and so on.
Shaddy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 pm I wouldn't be dissuaded by milkman himself not having posted for a while, we've seen multiple months-long gaps between his replies before, but he's been pretty reliable. It's all a matter of patience and understanding.
Ah, I see, no worries. I'm just super excited to see Milkman's treatment of Buu. Getting antsy. Lol.
If I had to choose between an overprotective, former-kung-fu girl and a self-absorbed, feisty tech-wizard, I'd probably choose the sneezing schizophrenic. Or the turtle.

ItalianSaiyajin

Post by ItalianSaiyajin » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:08 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:59 am Image

A while ago, I completed an edit of Dragon Ball wherein I removed as much filler as I possibly could. It was first known as Dragon Ball RF (the RF standing for Reduced Filler) but the release of the most recent film (Resurrection 'F') all but forced me to change the title, so I chose Dragon Ball Recut instead.

About The Editing Process:

First of all, it's dual-audio. Using the Dragon Box as the source for video and Japanese audio, and the Blue Bricks as the source for the English dub and subtitles, I have gone through the entire series and edited out as much filler as I possibly could.

Priority was given to the original Japanese track. By that I mean that I edited around the Japanese track first, and then edited the English track accordingly. I did so for a couple of reasons: the first of which is that the Japanese track is in mono, making it very difficult to manipulate in any significant way, so whatever edits I made had to accommodate the Japanese track first and foremost. The second reason is that I personally don't much care for the English dub. At the beginning of this project, I paid much more attention to the dub and tried to edit it in such a way that would be more faithful to the original Japanese dialog. However, it very quickly became apparent to me that the English dub was a lost cause, so I stopped caring about it after the first few episodes or so. For that reason, there may be a line inconsistency or two found on the English track due to Funimation constantly changing the dialog entirely from what it was originally supposed to be (if they hadn't done that so frequently, it wouldn't have been an issue).

Episode lengths (and file sizes) vary, due to the nature of the editing process. I tried to keep the episodes around 24 minutes or so, but it was really a matter of finding a good ending point for each episode. For that reason, some episodes run for about 18 minutes while others can go for as long as 32 minutes. I tried not to go much longer than 30 minutes per episode, but sometimes it couldn't be helped.

Total Amount of Footage Cut:

I recently did some number crunching in order to give me a rough estimate of just how much footage I cut from the show, and here's what I came up with.
  • Disregarding the OP and ED themes, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs, that leaves each episode BEFORE EDITING at about 20 minutes and 26 seconds of actual show time.
  • Multiply that number by 153 episodes total, and you're left with 52 hours, 6 minutes and 18 seconds.
  • My recut of the show (again disregarding OP, ED, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs) comes out to about 29 hours, 5 minutes and 3 seconds
  • That leaves us with a grand total of 23 hours, 1 minute and 15 seconds worth of actual show footage cut, all of which was filler in one way or another.
You'll notice that I still included the recaps in that estimate which isn't completely fair, but the reason I did so is because some episodes towards the beginning didn't really have recaps, and I didn't always cut them anyway (it wasn't until sometime during the RRA arc that I finally decided to cut the recaps entirely). For those reasons, it would have been difficult for me to calculate. Even so, that added recap time would probably only result in about a 2 or 3 hour difference tops, which still leaves me with around 20 to 21 hours of filler cut. That saves you almost an entire day!

I know this project has been around for about a year or two now, but I've seen some people ask about it elsewhere on the forums so I decided to make a thread for it here in the hopes of making it a little bit easier to find. Also, I put a lot of time and effort into this project and, while I primarily did it for myself, I figured that it wouldn't be the worst thing to let more people know about it. Some people around here have said some very nice things about this project, and I appreciate the kind words. I am proud of the final product and I hope others are able to enjoy it as much as I do.

I can't share links to this project here because of the rules, nor do I want to explicitly tell you where you can find it because I'm not sure how acceptable that would be either. But it is relatively easy to find if you look for it (google is your friend).

And now, introducing my next works in progress...

I'm currently working on a recut of Dragon Ball Kai to remove any filler that remains. You may be thinking that it's weird to choose to recut Kai as opposed to Z seeing as how Kai has most of the filler already removed anyway, but that was actually the incentive for me, at least at first. Why remove the filler from Z when Kai has already done most of the work for me? Dragon Ball Recut was very labor-intensive, so any excuse to do less work is okay with me. I figured going through Kai would just be a matter of tweaking some things here and there and that it would be a breeze. While that proved to be true at first, I am just about finished with the Freeza saga now and it has become just as exhausting an editing process as Dragon Ball was.

I'm basically going through and fixing Kai, trying to make it more of what people originally hoped it would be. That includes, among other things, removing any remaining filler that I can, uncensoring everything that I can, and correcting dialog mistakes in the English dub.

This project differs from Dragon Ball Recut in that I am giving equal priority to the English dub this time around because I quite like it.

And, because I will probably get asked this right off the bat:

UPDATE (2/12/2019): Episodes 001 to 047 are completed! I decided to release in chunks this time around. These episodes cover the Saiyan, Namek, and Freeza arcs in their entirety. See this post for more info.

UPDATE (4/12/2019): Episodes 048 to 082 have been completed! These episodes cover the Android/Cell arc in its entirety. See this post for more info.

Dragon Ball Z Recut

(Added on 9-7-2016)

I'm also beginning work on a recut of Dragon Ball Z while I wait for Boo Kai to show up in North America. Why recut both Z and Kai, you ask? Because I'm a damn fool, that's why! Honestly, though, I started Kai first, and then about halfway through realized that I also want to recut the original Z for the OG Japanese dub and Kikuchi music. So now I'm doing both. Yay.

I welcome any feedback and questions from all of you hardcore Dragon Ball fans. I may also post here occasionally asking for your help and opinions on things.
Could someone help me, please? I’d be extremely grateful if someone provided me with the Dragonball recut episodes (i’m expecially interested in the episodes from the beginning of OG Dragonball to the end of the Frieza saga). I think It’s an amazing idea but they are nowhere to be found on the Internet. Thank you in advance guys!

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:37 am

ItalianSaiyajin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:08 am Could someone help me, please? I’d be extremely grateful if someone provided me with the Dragonball recut episodes (i’m expecially interested in the episodes from the beginning of OG Dragonball to the end of the Frieza saga). I think It’s an amazing idea but they are nowhere to be found on the Internet. Thank you in advance guys!
I don't know how exactly you've been searching, but it's currently showing up as the fourth result on google. We can't give you direct links because it's hosted on an anime piracy site, but it seems pretty easy to find from where I'm sitting.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Tye2K wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:44 am Is this project still alive?? I've been waiting on that Buu Recut for a good year now, as well as the original Z recut (the only available one is by Spyro Chris, but honestly based on how it was executed, calling it a "recut" is highly debatable).
No, usually a bit of time goes by without an update. I don't think the creator checks this thread regularly unless he's posting a bunch of progress.

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 am

Any updates? IAmTheMilkMan?

BillyD
Banned

Post by BillyD » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:39 pm

For the OG Dragon Ball, why is the audio aac and not flac or lossless in general since it uses the Broadcast Audio now of which the files are in flac anyway.

123ecb

Post by 123ecb » Mon May 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Hey, I found this project and absolutely love it. While I'm a long time fan my gf hasn't watched a single episode, I plan on showing her the entire series and we're starting your Dragon ball recut soon (which I've heard is amazing).

Are there any updates on the recut of Dragon Ball Z or Boo Kai? Id love to watch a cut of the Japanese version of DBZ.

Thanks for your hard work!

TARIPAR

Post by TARIPAR » Thu May 13, 2021 11:40 am

Posting again just to show my support and interest to the Milkman. I know it's hard to do these big projects with little incentive besides your own drive. Hope all is well!
If I had to choose between an overprotective, former-kung-fu girl and a self-absorbed, feisty tech-wizard, I'd probably choose the sneezing schizophrenic. Or the turtle.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:28 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:59 am Image

A while ago, I completed an edit of Dragon Ball wherein I removed as much filler as I possibly could. It was first known as Dragon Ball RF (the RF standing for Reduced Filler) but the release of the most recent film (Resurrection 'F') all but forced me to change the title, so I chose Dragon Ball Recut instead.

About The Editing Process:

First of all, it's dual-audio. Using the Dragon Box as the source for video and Japanese audio, and the Blue Bricks as the source for the English dub and subtitles, I have gone through the entire series and edited out as much filler as I possibly could.

Priority was given to the original Japanese track. By that I mean that I edited around the Japanese track first, and then edited the English track accordingly. I did so for a couple of reasons: the first of which is that the Japanese track is in mono, making it very difficult to manipulate in any significant way, so whatever edits I made had to accommodate the Japanese track first and foremost. The second reason is that I personally don't much care for the English dub. At the beginning of this project, I paid much more attention to the dub and tried to edit it in such a way that would be more faithful to the original Japanese dialog. However, it very quickly became apparent to me that the English dub was a lost cause, so I stopped caring about it after the first few episodes or so. For that reason, there may be a line inconsistency or two found on the English track due to Funimation constantly changing the dialog entirely from what it was originally supposed to be (if they hadn't done that so frequently, it wouldn't have been an issue).

Episode lengths (and file sizes) vary, due to the nature of the editing process. I tried to keep the episodes around 24 minutes or so, but it was really a matter of finding a good ending point for each episode. For that reason, some episodes run for about 18 minutes while others can go for as long as 32 minutes. I tried not to go much longer than 30 minutes per episode, but sometimes it couldn't be helped.

Total Amount of Footage Cut:

I recently did some number crunching in order to give me a rough estimate of just how much footage I cut from the show, and here's what I came up with.
  • Disregarding the OP and ED themes, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs, that leaves each episode BEFORE EDITING at about 20 minutes and 26 seconds of actual show time.
  • Multiply that number by 153 episodes total, and you're left with 52 hours, 6 minutes and 18 seconds.
  • My recut of the show (again disregarding OP, ED, eyecatchers, title cards, and NEPs) comes out to about 29 hours, 5 minutes and 3 seconds
  • That leaves us with a grand total of 23 hours, 1 minute and 15 seconds worth of actual show footage cut, all of which was filler in one way or another.
You'll notice that I still included the recaps in that estimate which isn't completely fair, but the reason I did so is because some episodes towards the beginning didn't really have recaps, and I didn't always cut them anyway (it wasn't until sometime during the RRA arc that I finally decided to cut the recaps entirely). For those reasons, it would have been difficult for me to calculate. Even so, that added recap time would probably only result in about a 2 or 3 hour difference tops, which still leaves me with around 20 to 21 hours of filler cut. That saves you almost an entire day!

I know this project has been around for about a year or two now, but I've seen some people ask about it elsewhere on the forums so I decided to make a thread for it here in the hopes of making it a little bit easier to find. Also, I put a lot of time and effort into this project and, while I primarily did it for myself, I figured that it wouldn't be the worst thing to let more people know about it. Some people around here have said some very nice things about this project, and I appreciate the kind words. I am proud of the final product and I hope others are able to enjoy it as much as I do.

I can't share links to this project here because of the rules, nor do I want to explicitly tell you where you can find it because I'm not sure how acceptable that would be either. But it is relatively easy to find if you look for it (google is your friend).

And now, introducing my next works in progress...

I'm currently working on a recut of Dragon Ball Kai to remove any filler that remains. You may be thinking that it's weird to choose to recut Kai as opposed to Z seeing as how Kai has most of the filler already removed anyway, but that was actually the incentive for me, at least at first. Why remove the filler from Z when Kai has already done most of the work for me? Dragon Ball Recut was very labor-intensive, so any excuse to do less work is okay with me. I figured going through Kai would just be a matter of tweaking some things here and there and that it would be a breeze. While that proved to be true at first, I am just about finished with the Freeza saga now and it has become just as exhausting an editing process as Dragon Ball was.

I'm basically going through and fixing Kai, trying to make it more of what people originally hoped it would be. That includes, among other things, removing any remaining filler that I can, uncensoring everything that I can, and correcting dialog mistakes in the English dub.

This project differs from Dragon Ball Recut in that I am giving equal priority to the English dub this time around because I quite like it.

And, because I will probably get asked this right off the bat:

UPDATE (2/12/2019): Episodes 001 to 047 are completed! I decided to release in chunks this time around. These episodes cover the Saiyan, Namek, and Freeza arcs in their entirety. See this post for more info.

UPDATE (4/12/2019): Episodes 048 to 082 have been completed! These episodes cover the Android/Cell arc in its entirety. See this post for more info.

Dragon Ball Z Recut

(Added on 9-7-2016)

I'm also beginning work on a recut of Dragon Ball Z while I wait for Boo Kai to show up in North America. Why recut both Z and Kai, you ask? Because I'm a damn fool, that's why! Honestly, though, I started Kai first, and then about halfway through realized that I also want to recut the original Z for the OG Japanese dub and Kikuchi music. So now I'm doing both. Yay.

I welcome any feedback and questions from all of you hardcore Dragon Ball fans. I may also post here occasionally asking for your help and opinions on things.
I'd like to ask if you're going to/have done something about minor scenes or dialogue that was removed from Kai that is actually canon? It's rarely a long or important scene but there are things that were cut.

NathanPowellx47

Post by NathanPowellx47 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Also back after a long time to say that I hope this still happens one day :)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:40 pm

Alright, I'll admit I'm a little curious as to what's going on with the project. I know this stuff takes time but it's now been a year since Milkman posted in the thread, and only a little less since he posted at all.

GoldDragon

Post by GoldDragon » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Hope things are well with you Milkman.

It's obviously been a long year+ for everyone. This is still my go-to version when rewatching DB/Zkai or when introducing others to dragon ball. Who knows.. maybe he's just done. We should be grateful he even decided to share this project with us, considering he's the one who's put in the effort. Though, hopefully he'll reappear soon to either update us or remove the [WIP] status.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:40 pm Alright, I'll admit I'm a little curious as to what's going on with the project. I know this stuff takes time but it's now been a year since Milkman posted in the thread, and only a little less since he posted at all.
I mean, to play devil's advocate, this project seemed beyond dead, then out of seemingly nowhere he dropped the first 3 arcs of Kai Recut. If I had to guess the hold up is probably replacing the footage in the Boo arc with the DBox, which, as someone who's attempted to replace Kai footage with DBox...yeah. It takes a while.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:22 am

Bananaman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 am Any updates? IAmTheMilkMan?
Yes you are the milk man.

TatumJay

Post by TatumJay » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:21 pm

Does anyone have a link for the Kai Recut episodes? PM if you'd like to lend a helping hand!

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm If I had to guess the hold up is probably replacing the footage
This is exactly it. I had no idea how time consuming this process would be. In fact, I thought it would be quite simple.

In my naivety, I figured it would largely be a matter of simply dropping in footage over scenes that are still in tact. However, what I didn't realize is that, not only have scenes been cut and/or trimmed, but the heads and tails of every single damn shot in every episode has been trimmed too, turning this into a borderline frame-by-frame process.

So, while it's not exactly difficult work, it is very slow and grueling. I have a decent workflow down at this point, but it's still a lengthy process, especially when trying to juggle all of my own personal commitments along with it. Hats off to Mr.Mark for being able to see his own 4:3 Buu Kai cut all the way through; it's a process that really tries one's patience.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've said before that I'd rather not say anything if it isn't "DONE!", which I assumed I would be by this point, but it's still very much coming together, albeit slowly. The main editing is done, and now it's 4:3 syncing, followed by subtitling, which will complete it. I'm really happy with what I've got, and am looking forward to sharing it with you all.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:37 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm If I had to guess the hold up is probably replacing the footage
This is exactly it. I had no idea how time consuming this process would be. In fact, I thought it would be quite simple.

In my naivety, I figured it would largely be a matter of simply dropping in footage over scenes that are still in tact. However, what I didn't realize is that, not only have scenes been cut and/or trimmed, but the heads and tails of every single damn shot in every episode has been trimmed too, turning this into a borderline frame-by-frame process.

So, while it's not exactly difficult work, it is very slow and grueling. I have a decent workflow down at this point, but it's still a lengthy process, especially when trying to juggle all of my own personal commitments along with it. Hats off to Mr.Mark for being able to see his own 4:3 Buu Kai cut all the way through; it's a process that really tries one's patience.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've said before that I'd rather not say anything if it isn't "DONE!", which I assumed I would be by this point, but it's still very much coming together, albeit slowly. The main editing is done, and now it's 4:3 syncing, followed by subtitling, which will complete it. I'm really happy with what I've got, and am looking forward to sharing it with you all.
I am so glad you went out of your way to give us an update. I bookmarked this project just on the off chance you would, I've come back to this again and again for rewatching the earlier sagas and the buu saga has been my least favorite for a while because of the anime versions available not really hitting the spot for the focused storytelling I was hoping to see and I struggle to get through manga due to my attention span. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your continued work on this project. I hope things keep going well and good luck.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:52 pm

Really glad to get an update, even more excited to see what's been done with Buu!