Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Legomeaker101

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Legomeaker101 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:56 am

Hey, i just wanted to say thank you. this is one of the most enjoyable rewatches i have had of DB and DBZ. I am excited for the buu saga but am happy with what is here.

thank you.

Legomeaker101

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Legomeaker101 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:18 am
Grim_Furīza wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am I'm feeling optimistic, we both know Resurrection F is nothing more than a mention; duplicate Vegeta doesn't happen. It is possible a manga cut could be done, don't tell me you wouldn't love to see a manga cut? :)
Uh...no? If I don't like an episode in the show, I can skip it. The individual episodes themselves don't have the "drag on for hours without anything happening" problem that made me so attracted to the idea of filler cuts for the old series in the first place. The show also isn't even adapted from the manga, which makes a "manga cut" kind of nonsensical. I'd rather see a team of artists and writers make their own manga to fill in the parts of the story Toyotaro skipped over than tearing the anime down to an incomplete version of itself.
if there was a manga cut it would have to only keep the things in common (because that is what we assume the toriyama outline is) toyotaro didn't "skip over" things he just did what he could with the outline and the anime did other things (probably some filler to keep the timeslot) the manga has gone on for 2 arcs more than the anime so it is more canon than the anime at the moment. (and imo, it is better since it doesn't have as much wasted motion as the anime)

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 am

Legomeaker101 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am
Shaddy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:18 am
Grim_Furīza wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am I'm feeling optimistic, we both know Resurrection F is nothing more than a mention; duplicate Vegeta doesn't happen. It is possible a manga cut could be done, don't tell me you wouldn't love to see a manga cut? :)
Uh...no? If I don't like an episode in the show, I can skip it. The individual episodes themselves don't have the "drag on for hours without anything happening" problem that made me so attracted to the idea of filler cuts for the old series in the first place. The show also isn't even adapted from the manga, which makes a "manga cut" kind of nonsensical. I'd rather see a team of artists and writers make their own manga to fill in the parts of the story Toyotaro skipped over than tearing the anime down to an incomplete version of itself.
if there was a manga cut it would have to only keep the things in common (because that is what we assume the toriyama outline is) toyotaro didn't "skip over" things he just did what he could with the outline and the anime did other things (probably some filler to keep the timeslot) the manga has gone on for 2 arcs more than the anime so it is more canon than the anime at the moment. (and imo, it is better since it doesn't have as much wasted motion as the anime)
That's not the point he's making, the point is they're so different that a recut of any sort is basically insane. And it won't ever have a chance of being accurate to the manga. It's an idea that fails before it's even started.

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Escavalien wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 am
Legomeaker101 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am
That's not the point he's making, the point is they're so different that a recut of any sort is basically insane. And it won't ever have a chance of being accurate to the manga. It's an idea that fails before it's even started.
Yeah that's kind of the biggest deal here. I mean to us fans at first it may seem like a pretty easy task, especially if we just carry the assumption of "Well we can just use Toriyama's outline." which is true... except that is an outline which means it most likely doesn't have all the details and we're talking editing a series to a degree where honestly you might as well be making your own anime.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Legomeaker101 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 am the manga has gone on for 2 arcs more than the anime so it is more canon than the anime at the moment. (and imo, it is better since it doesn't have as much wasted motion as the anime)
By that logic, the anime having the Broly film as the only thing Toriyama personally wrote since ResF is the "more canon" version.

It's a very dumb debate to have.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am

Legomeaker101 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 amIf there was a manga cut it would have to only keep the things in common (because that is what we assume the toriyama outline is) toyotaro didn't "skip over" things he just did what he could with the outline and the anime did other things (probably some filler to keep the timeslot) the manga has gone on for 2 arcs more than the anime so it is more canon than the anime at the moment. (and imo, it is better since it doesn't have as much wasted motion as the anime)
Both versions cover the outline but some scenes play out differently For example, what they share in common in the ToP are some fights and major plot points but everything else is different so there's no way to make a manga only recut unless fans animate those scenes themselves. The best fans can do is a shorter version of the anime with less padding.

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:45 am

So there is one question I have about this, it might've been answered earlier but I'm not sure. So it's well known that when Buu Kai made its way over to the states, we got different openings and endings from what was featured over in Japan such as Fight It Out instead of Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go for the OP and so on. I'm curious, does this project intend to stick strictly to the Japanese OPs and EDs or will it use both?

Jarttis

Post by Jarttis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 am

Thank you so much for your Dragon Ball Recut :clap: :clap:

In the past months I watched this version of the show with a bud to whom I introduced the series. He was experiencing Dragon Ball for the first time and his experience wouldn't have been as enjoyable without this recut!

I've seen the original anime and I must say that this is definitely the definitive way to watch Dragon Ball. As a video editing hobbyist I can also confirm that your editing was in fact excellent the whole way trough, there wasn't a single noticeable cut.

We're gonna wait for specifically your recut to come out before we start watching Z. Really the only reason why Kai isn't an option for us is the lack of the Kikuchi score. We are prepared to wait years for this as I know it will be the definitive way to watch the series.

A progress update on Kai Boo would be nice as it's been months since you've said anything. Also, I heavily recommend that you don't wait for a better Z release after Kai Boo is done like you've implied. That simply isn't happening, there are currently 0 competent Dragon Box Colour Correction plans being orchestrated, people are just experimenting with no plans to apply their settings to all the episodes. People are happy with the Dragon Boxes even if the colours are sometimes funky. Currently the best quality for Z is the [SoM] Dragon Box Merge which is what you should use for your Z recut whenever you make it.

123ecb

Post by 123ecb » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:31 pm

Thank you IAmTheMilkMan, was excited to check in and see that small update from a few months ago. Glad to hear Boo Kai is done besides framing and subs. Looking forward to its eventual release. Watching DB recut with the gf and loving it!

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:45 pm

I don't know why you are doing Kai recut when Z is better option and more people are waiting for Z than Kai, besides Kai cuts a lott of manga as well.

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:48 pm

Bananaman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:45 pm I don't know why you are doing Kai recut when Z is better option and more people are waiting for Z than Kai, besides Kai cuts a lott of manga as well.
Well he said he is planning on doing a recut of Z. He's doing Kai primarily because it is closer at the very least to the original manga and he has spoken about the possibility of adding stuff that has been cut in Kai that was in the original manga back in.

Escavalien

Post by Escavalien » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:52 pm

Bananaman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:45 pm I don't know why you are doing Kai recut when Z is better option and more people are waiting for Z than Kai, besides Kai cuts a lott of manga as well.
I guess you just decided to not read any part of his post where he clarifies why he's doing Kai first??????

If you want it so bad and cba to appreciate his work then just do it yourself????

LukeRobertsArt

Post by LukeRobertsArt » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:36 pm

Just started showing this to my friend and they're really enjoying it. Thanks for all the hard work.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:04 am

Hi @IamTheMilkMan !

Is this project still alive ?
If I translate the english subtitles of this release in french, should I give the french subtitles to you ?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:45 am

Clemsi wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:04 am Hi @IamTheMilkMan !

Is this project still alive ?
If I translate the english subtitles of this release in french, should I give the french subtitles to you ?
It’s still alive I’m sure. He usually goes pretty silent unless it’s a big update.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:36 pm

It's understandable, but I hope he will answer me before I am done translating the english subtitles in french because I don't know if I can use his release and upload it with french subtitles.
If I am not allowed to do this, I am just going to give him the french subtitles so he can reupload Dragon Ball Recut with it himself.

SavageDragon

Post by SavageDragon » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:17 pm

Just wanted to say thanks! This is such a cool project, I just got back into DB, and Recut is impressing me so much!

I watched the full original versions of the episodes into the 30s, those first two arcs still delighted me with the anime changes. I noticed as this site says the pace went from around 2 chapters an episode to around 1.2 chapters an episode with Red Ribbon, and more filler. I felt that when I was watching, heard about Recut, and it is so good! Delightful stuff. Now I'm on the Baba arc.

Like everybody says, it's just seamless, so well done. I particularly loved that episode where Goku goes to the big city to meet Bulma again. Such a cool slice of life episode the way you did it here.

I was comparing a bit, and looking at wikis to see what the anime added, but now I'm just rolling with Recut, I know I'm in safe hands here. Thanks again!

Móralltach

Post by Móralltach » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:49 pm

DB Recut and DB Kai Recut are fantastic.

That said, I have a question. Are the DB / DBZ movies purely filler? Where might they fit in for my watch-through?

I'm a DBZ on Toonami kid so I haven't sat down to read the source material (another reason why these projects are amazing).

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:58 am

Móralltach wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:49 pm DB Recut and DB Kai Recut are fantastic.

That said, I have a question. Are the DB / DBZ movies purely filler? Where might they fit in for my watch-through?

I'm a DBZ on Toonami kid so I haven't sat down to read the source material (another reason why these projects are amazing).
The films that came out during the original run of the series are 100% filler. The more recent films Battle of Gods, Resurrection “F” and Dragon Ball Super: Broly are canon. All three of those films are set after the end of the Buu arc, but before the epilogue.

Lemonade

Post by Lemonade » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:02 pm

Móralltach wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:49 pm DB Recut and DB Kai Recut are fantastic.

History of Trunks was also canon, though it is not technically a movie. It may be classified as a movie depending where you are looking for the media.