Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GoldDragon

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by GoldDragon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 pm

I've been introducing a close friend to Dragon Ball using your DB Recut english dub via Zoom during the lockdown. We're about 30 episodes in and he's hooked. We'll do the Kai recut afterwards. Eagerly anticipating your kai Buu arc edit!

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 am

Dragon Ball Recut complete with glorious broadcast audio is finally available, everyone. Enjoy!
GoldDragon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 pm I've been introducing a close friend to Dragon Ball using your DB Recut english dub via Zoom during the lockdown. We're about 30 episodes in and he's hooked. We'll do the Kai recut afterwards. Eagerly anticipating your kai Buu arc edit!
That's great to hear! Work on Boo Kai has already begun.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:42 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 am That's great to hear! Work on Boo Kai has already begun.
Are you gonna try to work in the canon scenes from the manga Toei cut out of Buu Kai with Z footage & English dub lines?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:20 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:42 am Are you gonna try to work in the canon scenes from the manga Toei cut out of Buu Kai with Z footage & English dub lines?
I wasn't aware they removed any manga scenes from Boo Kai; what did they cut?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:29 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:20 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:42 am Are you gonna try to work in the canon scenes from the manga Toei cut out of Buu Kai with Z footage & English dub lines?
I wasn't aware they removed any manga scenes from Boo Kai; what did they cut?
Not sure of many more, but scenes with the poacher that killed Bee, I believe, at least. Anyone know of any more?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:39 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:29 am Not sure of many more, but scenes with the poacher that killed Bee, I believe, at least.
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot about that. For sure, I'm totally going to try to work that back in.

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:57 am

I don't know much about the Buu arc but boy they cut a lot of manga scenes in the Saiyan arc of Kai that are present in Z, here are some examples:
1. When Raditz kicked Kuririn he was knocked for a bit but then he got up and said to Goku "Goku be careful! This guy is incredibly strong!" than Goku replied "Yeah i can tell. Just looking at him gives me chills... And i never felt that way before"(removed in Kai)
2. When Raditz take away Gohan, Kuririn and Roshi offer help to Goku, also Goku telling them that they already died and cannot be wished back again(removed in Kai)
3. When Kuririn offered Goku help he fell in despair and thought in himself "No coming back this time... I'll never get a girlfriend at this rate..."(removed in Kai)
4. When Goku and Piccolo went to fight Raditz, Roshi said " They are the best combo right now and that they might win and said to Bulma do you remember the location of the dragon radar? We are going too! (removed in Kai)
5. Removed the scene showing why Raditz was struggling to get out of Goku's full nelson, the scene that makes sense of Gohan's insane potential.
6. After the fight with Raditz there was a funny scene where Krillin says that Piccolo is gonna eat Gohan and Piccolo has a funny reaction to it (removed in Kai)
These are just few examples i can go on and on, i don't want to make this long to read.
This is one of the reasons why i'm waiting for the Z recut.
If i can help you in any way please let me know.

Fernandez

Post by Fernandez » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:09 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 am Dragon Ball Recut complete with glorious broadcast audio is finally available, everyone. Enjoy!
You're the best. Thank you!

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 am

Been lurking for the last few years but good god thank you for updating this project. We don't deserve you.

GoldDragon

Post by GoldDragon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:03 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 am Dragon Ball Recut complete with glorious broadcast audio is finally available, everyone. Enjoy!
I'm not sure I understand. If I may ask, what is "broadcast audio" and how is it superior to what was already in the edit?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:35 am

So about this Dragon Ball Recut with broadcast audio...can anyone PM me? Thanks.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 am

Thank you, @WhereIsTheMilkMan !
If only this release had french subtitles, it would be great.

GoldDragon

Post by GoldDragon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:40 pm

GoldDragon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:03 am
I'm not sure I understand. If I may ask, what is "broadcast audio" and how is it superior to what was already in the edit?
Nevermind. I found the post describing the difference. Great for the Japanese audio!

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:14 am

I only found out about this when searching through a prominent website for a release of the series that included the original broadcast audio, and I gotta say, this recut is everything I never even knew I needed. Most other fan edits are very amateurish, but yours is just beyond professional level. It's like Dragon Ball had pacing equivalent to modern anime - no filler, no nonsense, just straight-up adapting the source material, period.

And you did it in a way that seems seamless. You didn't just cut everything that wasn't in the manga, internal consistency be damned, you've made sure to cut as much filler as possible without sacrificing the flow of the story. Sadly, that sometimes means that you'll have to leave a little filler in, like episodes 62 and 63, where it was just so integrated with the main plot that it was impossible to take it out, but that's the nature of the beast, I guess. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. It's also a bit of a shame that you had to cut the recaps and the next episode previews, but I guess those wouldn't make much sense for this edit. They would at best only cover a small part of the previous/next episode, and at worst, include filler material.

At least you've made sure to leave in the openings and endings. Some fan edits like to leave them out to cut down on time and file size and because "seeing them once is good enough". But I say to hell with that. The music is an integral part of the experience. And how else would you memorize the songs to impress your friends during karaoke? :lol:

Seriously, this edit is just so well done, you wouldn't even know it was made by a fan. It just looks like it's been this way from the start. And you've made the broadcast audio quality sound even better, with virtually no white noise in the background. It's pretty much how the show sounded when it was recorded - crystal clear.

And another thing that's really great about this release is that you've tried to edit each episode as if it were something actually made for TV broadcast. Obviously, some of them had to be slightly shorter or longer, but I suppose that's unavoidable - for it to feel natural, you can't just end it whenever. It's still loads better than other fan edits, like for instance, Naruto Kai, which just made one volume of the manga = one episode... and 90-minute episodes just make for a much more tiring experience than a quick 20-minute watch.

Once again, man, absolutely perfect job you did here. This is definitely going to become my go-to way to watch the show from now on.

P.S: I hope I'm not being too rude asking this question, but as an exclusive fan of the original Japanese version, I don't really have much of an interest in Dragon Ball Kai. I'd rather just watch Z, which has all of the original actors back when they were at their prime and consistent aspect ratio and soundtrack throughout (not to mention, no green tint). I know right now you're focusing on The Final Chapters, but have you done any work on Z Recut? Maybe it'll even be easier to do after having worked on Kai, since you've already made most of the editing decisions, and now you don't have to worry about soundtrack placement and color correction.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:25 am

Wow, thank you, jrdemr! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and I'm particularly glad that you appreciated the lack of noise in the broadcast audio. I suspected some people might take issue with the use of a noise reduction filter but I was really happy with the results, and I'm glad you appreciated the effort.
jrdemr wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:14 am P.S: I hope I'm not being too rude asking this question, but as an exclusive fan of the original Japanese version, I don't really have much of an interest in Dragon Ball Kai. I'd rather just watch Z, which has all of the original actors back when they were at their prime and consistent aspect ratio and soundtrack throughout (not to mention, no green tint). I know right now you're focusing on The Final Chapters, but have you done any work on Z Recut? Maybe it'll even be easier to do after having worked on Kai, since you've already made most of the editing decisions, and now you don't have to worry about soundtrack placement and color correction.
Not rude at all; I know a lot of people are more interested in Z than Kai. I briefly started work on it a while back, but haven't touched it since. Initially that was due to exhaustion, but now the biggest reason I haven't started working on it again is because I want to wait for full properly color-corrected video to be available for the whole series before I do it. I really just want to edit Z once, complete with broadcast audio and properly colored video. Having to completely replace audio and/or video from an already completed project is not fun, and something I wish to avoid in the future. I know there is currently a team of dedicated fans working hard on color-correcting the entire thing, so I'll wait for that.
Clemsi wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 am Thank you, @WhereIsTheMilkMan !
If only this release had french subtitles, it would be great.
Hey, that'd be awesome! And if anyone who speaks French feels up to the task, be my guest! I encourage fans to create subtitles for the project in different languages, as that's not something I will ever be doing myself for a number of reasons, not least of which is that it's incredibly difficult for me to deal with subtitles for languages I don't speak.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:25 am the biggest reason I haven't started working on it again is because I want to wait for full properly color-corrected video to be available for the whole series before I do it. I really just want to edit Z once, complete with broadcast audio and properly colored video. Having to completely replace audio and/or video from an already completed project is not fun, and something I wish to avoid in the future. I know there is currently a team of dedicated fans working hard on color-correcting the entire thing, so I'll wait for that.
Is there actually? The only source I know of that is our own color-correction thread here on Kanzenshuu, and that one always seems to fluctuate between unsuccessfully finding new sources of color to reference or arguing about upscaling methods, I've hardly seen any consistent progress on the show itself. Not to tell you to just do the thing you said you don't want to do, but unless I'm missing some information it doesn't feel totally reliable. plus, what about Classic DB's colors

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 pm

There is, yeah.

130 eps or so are done so far. Been going for a few months now. Won't be releasing until it's all finished though.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am

Milkman, I just spot checked the redubbed lines in a certain scene and I wanna cry with how well it turned out! Gonna keep the scene I'm talking about a little vague just in case folks want to be surprised, but Kal was absolutely the right man for the job!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:51 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:25 am Not rude at all; I know a lot of people are more interested in Z than Kai. I briefly started work on it a while back, but haven't touched it since. Initially that was due to exhaustion, but now the biggest reason I haven't started working on it again is because I want to wait for full properly color-corrected video to be available for the whole series before I do it. I really just want to edit Z once, complete with broadcast audio and properly colored video. Having to completely replace audio and/or video from an already completed project is not fun, and something I wish to avoid in the future. I know there is currently a team of dedicated fans working hard on color-correcting the entire thing, so I'll wait for that.
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering how far ahead you were. If I were doing the recut, I would probably do the same and just wait for a better source before committing to such a huge endeavor (I also hate doing work more than once), especially if I were already busy editing Kai.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:32 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am Milkman, I just spot checked the redubbed lines in a certain scene and I wanna cry with how well it turned out! Gonna keep the scene I'm talking about a little vague just in case folks want to be surprised, but Kal was absolutely the right man for the job!
Kal's the man! Ajay put me in touch with him, and all three of us worked hard to try and get that right, so I'm glad it's going over well. I'm happy with how it turned out.