Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by jrdemr » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:33 pm

Great to hear from you, IAmTheMilkMan, and good to hear that Kai is close to completion!

Hopefully Z will be a lot faster and simpler, since you only have the one source and already possess a sort of "blueprint" in Kai as to which scenes to preserve to make a perfect "manga edition" of the anime.

Teknorat

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Teknorat » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:07 am

I've been checking this thread every week for months. Greatly looking forward to the release. It will be the first time I've ever watched DBZ.

Spadexxione

Post by Spadexxione » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:02 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm If I had to guess the hold up is probably replacing the footage
This is exactly it. I had no idea how time consuming this process would be. In fact, I thought it would be quite simple.

In my naivety, I figured it would largely be a matter of simply dropping in footage over scenes that are still in tact. However, what I didn't realize is that, not only have scenes been cut and/or trimmed, but the heads and tails of every single damn shot in every episode has been trimmed too, turning this into a borderline frame-by-frame process.

So, while it's not exactly difficult work, it is very slow and grueling. I have a decent workflow down at this point, but it's still a lengthy process, especially when trying to juggle all of my own personal commitments along with it. Hats off to Mr.Mark for being able to see his own 4:3 Buu Kai cut all the way through; it's a process that really tries one's patience.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've said before that I'd rather not say anything if it isn't "DONE!", which I assumed I would be by this point, but it's still very much coming together, albeit slowly. The main editing is done, and now it's 4:3 syncing, followed by subtitling, which will complete it. I'm really happy with what I've got, and am looking forward to sharing it with you all.
Hi, sorry if I'm bothering you, are you still planning of doing a recut version of Z?

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:35 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm If I had to guess the hold up is probably replacing the footage
This is exactly it. I had no idea how time consuming this process would be. In fact, I thought it would be quite simple.

In my naivety, I figured it would largely be a matter of simply dropping in footage over scenes that are still in tact. However, what I didn't realize is that, not only have scenes been cut and/or trimmed, but the heads and tails of every single damn shot in every episode has been trimmed too, turning this into a borderline frame-by-frame process.

So, while it's not exactly difficult work, it is very slow and grueling. I have a decent workflow down at this point, but it's still a lengthy process, especially when trying to juggle all of my own personal commitments along with it. Hats off to Mr.Mark for being able to see his own 4:3 Buu Kai cut all the way through; it's a process that really tries one's patience.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've said before that I'd rather not say anything if it isn't "DONE!", which I assumed I would be by this point, but it's still very much coming together, albeit slowly. The main editing is done, and now it's 4:3 syncing, followed by subtitling, which will complete it. I'm really happy with what I've got, and am looking forward to sharing it with you all.
That is awesome. Honestly I think you deserve more than your fair share of applause for the amazing effort you've been putting into making what is to me at least, the definitive way to watch the Dragon Ball anime. I watched your recuts of the original and the first half of Kai just last year and I was amazed to find just how professional and clean everything is. If I didn't know any better? I'd say this was official it's that scarily well done.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:12 pm

Tell me about it! Btw I've been meaning to ask, have you put up your Dragon ball recut with the original broadcast audio?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm

MR.Mark wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:12 pm Tell me about it! Btw I've been meaning to ask, have you put up your Dragon ball recut with the original broadcast audio?
He did over a year ago.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 pm
MR.Mark wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:12 pm Tell me about it! Btw I've been meaning to ask, have you put up your Dragon ball recut with the original broadcast audio?
He did over a year ago.
pm me a link?

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:51 pm

I've been dying to ask you a couple questions and to say, how amazing you are for making a faithful manga version of the anime. I fully support your incredible work

I was wondering after you have finished with Dragon Ball Z Kai, would you be editing Dragon Ball Super next? If anyone could do it, it's you. I would love to see it become reality

My second question is more of a request, I have a personal preference to the Ocean Dub of the Dragon Ball world. Would you ever consider doing a manga edit? for the Canadian Dub fan base. I'm not part of the toxic war between FUNimation fans and Ocean, I think different English dubs are fascinating. Ocean voices with the Japanese soundtrack would be a site to behold. Sorry I'm going on, I hope to hear from you. Thank you for your time :)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 pm

I don't think there's much of a way to fanedit Super to match the manga, between conflicting events and the manga just straight-up omitting a bunch of stuff from the show.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:08 pm

Currently doing a Dragon Ball rewatch with some friends who have never seen DB before, and I'm showing them this Recut! We're currently halfway through DB and will go on to your Kai Recut soon. Any updates on when Kai Buu will be dropping? Maybe some form of an ETA? I know last we heard was it was almost done, but that was 6 months ago. I figure it should be dropping fairly soon?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 pm

Last we heard was only about one month ago, actually. 4:3 syncing and subtitles were what was left then. Asking when something is gonna be done is usually not the most fortuitous in circles where fans give up their free time to work on things that make them no money.

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 pm I don't think there's much of a way to fanedit Super to match the manga, between conflicting events and the manga just straight-up omitting a bunch of stuff from the show.
I'm feeling optimistic, we both know Resurrection F is nothing more than a mention; duplicate Vegeta doesn't happen. It is possible a manga cut could be done, don't tell me you wouldn't love to see a manga cut? :)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:18 am

Grim_Furīza wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am I'm feeling optimistic, we both know Resurrection F is nothing more than a mention; duplicate Vegeta doesn't happen. It is possible a manga cut could be done, don't tell me you wouldn't love to see a manga cut? :)
Uh...no? If I don't like an episode in the show, I can skip it. The individual episodes themselves don't have the "drag on for hours without anything happening" problem that made me so attracted to the idea of filler cuts for the old series in the first place. The show also isn't even adapted from the manga, which makes a "manga cut" kind of nonsensical. I'd rather see a team of artists and writers make their own manga to fill in the parts of the story Toyotaro skipped over than tearing the anime down to an incomplete version of itself.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:43 am

Shaddy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:40 pm Alright, I'll admit I'm a little curious as to what's going on with the project. I know this stuff takes time but it's now been a year since Milkman posted in the thread, and only a little less since he posted at all.
You're right. Asking when something is going to be done is not the best method, no matter the medium. However, as people, we do have the tendency to grow /curious/. All of us here have, yourself included as you can see above.

The reason why I asked was because I messaged IAmTheMilkMan privately 6 months ago about the status. Along with what we know from what he posted a month ago, which was 4:3 syncing and subtitles, he said "fine tuning" was being implemented. So if we do math, from March to July he was doing "fine tuning". Fine Tuning took 5 months. Fast Forward to 1 month ago. Says all that's left is 4:3 syncing and subtitles. It's been 1 month. All I was asking was for a possible ETA. Not rushing anybody. I don't mind if this project takes another 10 years. Simply my curiosity getting the better of me, as has the rest of everyone in this thread.

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:13 am

[/quote]
Uh...no? If I don't like an episode in the show, I can skip it. The individual episodes themselves don't have the "drag on for hours without anything happening" problem that made me so attracted to the idea of filler cuts for the old series in the first place. The show also isn't even adapted from the manga, which makes a "manga cut" kind of nonsensical. I'd rather see a team of artists and writers make their own manga to fill in the parts of the story Toyotaro skipped over than tearing the anime down to an incomplete version of itself.
[/quote]

Fair enough

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Grim_Furīza wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 amI'm feeling optimistic, we both know Resurrection F is nothing more than a mention; duplicate Vegeta doesn't happen. It is possible a manga cut could be done, don't tell me you wouldn't love to see a manga cut? :)
I think a manga cut would be difficult since it would require reanimating scenes rather than only removing "filler". There have been a few DBS recuts that removed padding or scenes that don't really progress the story. This might be the most complete version that covers most of the series:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18094

There was one called the Mastered Edition but I'm not sure how far he got.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:01 pm
Grim_Furīza wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 amI'm feeling optimistic, we both know Resurrection F is nothing more than a mention; duplicate Vegeta doesn't happen. It is possible a manga cut could be done, don't tell me you wouldn't love to see a manga cut? :)
I think a manga cut would be difficult since it would require reanimating scenes rather than only removing "filler". There have been a few DBS recuts that removed padding or scenes that don't really progress the story. This might be the most complete version that covers most of the series:

Ressurection F recut by Ajay was pretty good.

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:13 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:01 pm

I'm yet to watch that Ultra Instinct cut, is it any good?

I wonder whatever happened to the mastered edition, I saw the guy got a new account; didn't see anything more come of it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Grim_Furīza wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:13 pmI'm yet to watch that Ultra Instinct cut, is it any good?

I wonder whatever happened to the mastered edition, I saw the guy got a new account; didn't see anything more come of it.
I haven't watched it yet but I assume it's good enough if you wanted a shorter version and wouldn't miss what was cut. The episode titles give an idea what was still covered.

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:46 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 pm I don't think there's much of a way to fanedit Super to match the manga, between conflicting events and the manga just straight-up omitting a bunch of stuff from the show.
I think people would legit SHUDDER at the thought of attempting something like that because... wow that would require god-tier editing, someone to make whole new art and assets or they have to painstakingly mask out any and all relevant shots of characters that you need and... dear lord that just sounds like a big headache.