Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 pm

HellDroid wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 pm First off, thank you SO MUCH for original dragon ball recut, it was honestly a dream coming true, and such a fantastic editing job!

Second off, can someone please help a dragon fan here and PM me the links for Dragon Ball Kai recut? I'd love to watch it as well.

Thanks, guys!
I’ve sent you a PM. :)

Lance99

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Lance99 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:23 pm

So, I've got a quick little question about DBKai Recut: I've been watching through the Cell arc, and I've noticed that the Dragon Soul OP doesn't get updated with the Android arc and then the Goku VS Cell footage from near the end of the V4 OP--it gets the updates with 17 and 18 and then Imperfect and Semi-Perfect Cell, but not those. It just ends on Goku VS Freeza the whole time, lol. Was that intentional or a mistake?

Thanks for all the work though, it's been great to watch these streamlined the way they are!

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:57 pm

I guess he wanted to cut spoilers.(Which is good in my opinion) :D

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm

BTW i wanted to ask since nobody did, is IAmTheMilkMan aware that now we have Broadcast audio for the original Dragon Ball? And if he is will he sync it to his project?(or somebody else could do it that knows stuff about video editing just to help him and relieve his burden).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Bananaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm BTW i wanted to ask since nobody did, is IAmTheMilkMan aware that now we have Broadcast audio for the original Dragon Ball? And if he is will he sync it to his project?(or somebody else could do it that knows stuff about video editing just to help him and relieve his burden).
The first person who does this becomes my hero for life.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 am

Lance99 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:23 pm So, I've got a quick little question about DBKai Recut: I've been watching through the Cell arc, and I've noticed that the Dragon Soul OP doesn't get updated with the Android arc and then the Goku VS Cell footage from near the end of the V4 OP--it gets the updates with 17 and 18 and then Imperfect and Semi-Perfect Cell, but not those. It just ends on Goku VS Freeza the whole time, lol. Was that intentional or a mistake?

Thanks for all the work though, it's been great to watch these streamlined the way they are!
Bananaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:57 pm I guess he wanted to cut spoilers.(Which is good in my opinion) :D
That's correct! I staggered the new opening animation reveals intentionally in order to avoid spoilers as much as I could. Expect the same thing with the Boo saga. And thanks for watching it, I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Ajay wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:41 pm
Bananaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm BTW i wanted to ask since nobody did, is IAmTheMilkMan aware that now we have Broadcast audio for the original Dragon Ball? And if he is will he sync it to his project?(or somebody else could do it that knows stuff about video editing just to help him and relieve his burden).
Already working on it!
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:52 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 amAlready working on it!
Aw yis, can't wait.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Dragon Ball fans don't deserve this guy, honestly.

Lance99

Post by Lance99 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:05 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 am
Lance99 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:23 pm So, I've got a quick little question about DBKai Recut: I've been watching through the Cell arc, and I've noticed that the Dragon Soul OP doesn't get updated with the Android arc and then the Goku VS Cell footage from near the end of the V4 OP--it gets the updates with 17 and 18 and then Imperfect and Semi-Perfect Cell, but not those. It just ends on Goku VS Freeza the whole time, lol. Was that intentional or a mistake?

Bananaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:57 pm I guess he wanted to cut spoilers.(Which is good in my opinion) :D
That's correct! I staggered the new opening animation reveals intentionally in order to avoid spoilers as much as I could. Expect the same thing with the Boo saga. And thanks for watching it, I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Ah, gotcha--I expected that was the case, and I noticed that especially during the Freeza arc, which I did like as a nice touch. I was just surprised 'cause I expected to at least have the "Goku flies away from Ki blasts" shot from the end of the V3 footage, but then it does end with Gohan in his Piccolo-inspired outfit, so I can see why you left it out if you couldn't pad it out, lol. Looking forward to more of your stuff, especially with the Boo arc; those could especially use some spoiler-staggering :lol:

Also, another curious question: I'm maybe a step above a casual DB fan, but I'm not as ingrained in the fandom as I am with, say, YGO stuff--ELI5 why the broadcast audio for DB is so sought after? I know it's rare, but is it something with being in stereo, maybe? I think I remember seeing that the audio from back then has usually been more in mono... :think:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:35 pm

The optical audio used for every (?) home release of the series is really terrible. It's muffled, distorted, low quality. It makes the audio sound worse than the first movies with sound from the late 20s. The broadcast audio, on the other hand, sounds exactly how you'd expect a show from the 1980s to sound: perfectly fine.

Our own Ajay did a nice video about it here a few years ago, and a comparison here.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Already working on it!
Not trying to overload your plate or anything, but while you re-edit the broadcast audio track, is there any chance of maybe revisiting the dub track to reinsert any missing insert songs? I don’t think there’s too many instances of this, as looking at a list of insert songs for the series, I think a number of those scenes were cut entirely as filler. But things like Mezase Tenkaichi during the Goku vs. Jackie fight and Wolf Hurricane during the Yamcha vs. Tenshinhan fight are notably absent.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Milkman has stated he's not really interested in dedicating much effort to the DB dub (since it's kind of not great).

I suggest checking out KBABZ's the 1st chapters for something like that.

Goku1085

Post by Goku1085 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:13 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Already working on it!
Not trying to overload your plate or anything, but while you re-edit the broadcast audio track, is there any chance of maybe revisiting the dub track to reinsert any missing insert songs? I don’t think there’s too many instances of this, as looking at a list of insert songs for the series, I think a number of those scenes were cut entirely as filler. But things like Mezase Tenkaichi during the Goku vs. Jackie fight and Wolf Hurricane during the Yamcha vs. Tenshinhan fight are notably absent.
YES!!! I definitely double request that!! That would be sooo amazing to do so!!

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:49 pm

Goku1085 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:13 pm
SaiyamanMS wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm Not trying to overload your plate or anything, but while you re-edit the broadcast audio track, is there any chance of maybe revisiting the dub track to reinsert any missing insert songs? I don’t think there’s too many instances of this, as looking at a list of insert songs for the series, I think a number of those scenes were cut entirely as filler. But things like Mezase Tenkaichi during the Goku vs. Jackie fight and Wolf Hurricane during the Yamcha vs. Tenshinhan fight are notably absent.
YES!!! I definitely double request that!! That would be sooo amazing to do so!!
Yes, actually, I'm in the process of doing so. I figured I may as well while I work on everything else. I'm not going to break my back over it, but I'd at least like to double-check the cuts, re-insert the missing songs, and try to fix any dub inaccuracies that contradict the manga and/or future events (I've already reached out to KBABZ for help with that). While I'm not personally interested in the English dub myself, I know that some people are, and if I'm going to include it, then I may as well put a little effort into it.

The Japanese track is also getting some more work done. In addition to the broadcast audio, I've found myself re-doing a lot of the audio cuts in order to make them smoother and more in-line with my current standards, so this thing should sound better than ever once I'm done.

The video is going largely untouched, though. I just don't know enough about color correction to mess with it, and that's too much work anyway. If decent color-corrected footage someday emerges, I may use that to upgrade the video, but as of now it shall remain as-is.

And thanks for the kind words, everyone! Your enthusiasm really makes it worth it.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:15 pm

Really? Wow, that's so cool. I gotta work on not trying to speak for other people.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:44 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:15 pm Really? Wow, that's so cool. I gotta work on not trying to speak for other people.
Nah, don't worry about it, you were just stating facts (I did say that, after all).

Honestly, it's not going to take that much extra effort. I re-inserted the entire Yamamoto score into my Kai Recut; compared to that, a couple of insert songs is a walk in the park.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:44 pm Nah, don't worry about it, you were just stating facts (I did say that, after all).

Honestly, it's not going to take that much extra effort. I re-inserted the entire Yamamoto score into my Kai Recut; compared to that, a couple of insert songs is a walk in the park.
How many of the insert songs could you find high-quality raw MP3s for?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:37 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 am How many of the insert songs could you find high-quality raw MP3s for?
I have them all lossless.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:32 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:37 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 am How many of the insert songs could you find high-quality raw MP3s for?
I have them all lossless.
Nice. Were they hard to track down?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:00 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 am
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:44 pm Nah, don't worry about it, you were just stating facts (I did say that, after all).

How many of the insert songs could you find high-quality raw MP3s for?
Are you making all Kai in Japanese Yamamoto?