Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm

MistaL wrote:Hey Milkman. Are you still gonna be using the Kai dub for Z like you said way early in the thread?
Absolutely! I'll be using the Kai dub for the English track for the majority of Z with the original Kikuchi placements (this will be the most difficult part of that project by far). The Japanese track will be the original broadcast audio, of course.
Scsigs wrote:Also, one thing for your recut of the Buu Saga's English dub, could you use Goku's like of "Thank you, Vegeta" from Z as opposed to the Kai line of, "Thanks, Vegeta. Here we go!"? Also Mr. Satan's line in Z, "I'll turn you into a hot dog!" that was changed to whatever the line was in Kai? I always hated that, with all of the well-translated lines in TFC, they needlessly changed BOTH of those to something else in Kai for seemingly no other reason than, "Let's be different than Z because that dub mostly sucks," which is a sentiment I understand & mostly agree with, but they shouldn't have needlessly changed the lines that were already perfectly-translated in the Z dub too.
I will definitely keep an eye (ear?) out for these along with other similar offenses and do my best to keep them as faithful to the source material as I can.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by MistaL » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Awesome! You mentioned before that you'll keep a bit more filler in Z Recut than in Kai Recut. Will that include Vegeta's speech to Goku after he died on Namek? That scene is one of my favourites in the anime, and I would love to see it kept in.

Also, in the Cell Saga will you be making an effort to remove Mr. Satan's crew like TFS did, or is it a situation like Gregory where they're far too directly involved in canon dialogue and such that it would be pretty much impossible?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 pm

Uh, my download just finished, and something seems screwed up. It's totally choppy, moving at something like 4 frames a second, and there's no audio. Did I do something wrong with the torrent, is this happening to anyone else, should I use something other than VLC?

EDIT: My dumb ass. The choppiness was due to a video effect in VLC I didn't know I had turned on, and the audio was that I literally forgot to turn my fucking headset on.

EDIT 2: So this is weird as hell. Upon restarting the program, it's choppy again, but goes back to normal when I turn the effect back on. It works like some toggle, where every next effect I enable turns it off, and then after that it's back on. Whatever. I know at least that I didn't screw up the files while downloading it, so I can mess with this until it works the way I want.

Okay, one other question: For Kai's Buu arc, are you going to leave the footage as it is, or use a different, uncropped and un-green source?

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:15 am

Is Kai Recut available anywhere other than the place that sounds like a cat's meow? It's all I've gotten in a Google search, but the place is apparently blocked in Australia now.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:01 am

MistaL wrote:You mentioned before that you'll keep a bit more filler in Z Recut than in Kai Recut. Will that include Vegeta's speech to Goku after he died on Namek? That scene is one of my favourites in the anime, and I would love to see it kept in.
I probably meant that more in the sense that I simply won't be able to cut as much from Z as I will from Kai, so more filler will naturally find it's way in. I won't know until I try, but I'm sorry to say that if I can cut that scene, I will. Otherwise it would kind of fly in the face of what my recuts have been all about thus far.
MistaL wrote:Also, in the Cell Saga will you be making an effort to remove Mr. Satan's crew like TFS did, or is it a situation like Gregory where they're far too directly involved in canon dialogue and such that it would be pretty much impossible?
You've guessed correctly. I've already made one pass through these episodes and I was unable to remove them because, much like Gregory, at least one of the characters is involved in at least one canon line (the lady I think, I forget her name). However, after seeing what TFS did, I think I'm going to go through once more and see if I can't work around that somehow. But if I can't, then it's not a big deal; they only end up wasting like three or four minutes all told.
Shaddy wrote:So this is weird as hell. Upon restarting the program, it's choppy again, but goes back to normal when I turn the effect back on. It works like some toggle, where every next effect I enable turns it off, and then after that it's back on. Whatever. I know at least that I didn't screw up the files while downloading it, so I can mess with this until it works the way I want.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble playing the files. I've tested them in two different versions of VLC myself (the newest version and whichever one I had before I upgraded) and they work fine. I've also tested them in MPC and they work fine there too. If anyone else has these problems, please let me know. I hope something didn't go wrong with the torrent file.
Shaddy wrote:For Kai's Buu arc, are you going to leave the footage as it is, or use a different, uncropped and un-green source?
Well, I'm hoping that Toei magically unveils that rumored HD remaster before I get to it, but that likely won't happen. Worst case scenario, I'll probably wind up with two different versions--one that will utilize the Boo Kai footage with some color correction done to remove the green tint (I know I'm not great with color correction, but hopefully I'm able to figure that out), and another that will have to use Dragon Box footage.

Isn't there a 4:3 HD bluray release on the horizon somewhere outside of Japan? Was it France? I could have sworn I read about that happening in a thread or something. Maybe we'll get lucky and I'll be able to use that footage.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:37 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Sorry to hear you're having trouble playing the files. I've tested them in two different versions of VLC myself (the newest version and whichever one I had before I upgraded) and they work fine. I've also tested them in MPC and they work fine there too. If anyone else has these problems, please let me know. I hope something didn't go wrong with the torrent file.
I'm sure by now that it didn't, I just compulsively fuck up torrents and wasn't sure if I did that again, if the DL was screwy, or if my player was. Turns it it's the third one. VLC has given me strange behavior with video effects and filters before and this was just another case of that. I really should just stop trying to use them. I even dropped one episode into chrome and it worked totally fine, while other videos in VLC still had problems (ex. that BoJack Horseman clip I posted in the Mignogna thread the other day), this was just a new set of problems that I didn't recognize (and, if forgetting my headphones weren't turned on and blaming it on the video is any evidence, I'm not all that bright).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:35 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Isn't there a 4:3 HD bluray release on the horizon somewhere outside of Japan? Was it France? I could have sworn I read about that happening in a thread or something. Maybe we'll get lucky and I'll be able to use that footage.
A 4:3 HD Blu-ray of Kai TFC, coming out now, when the French dub was one of the first dubs of TFC released and was already broadcast and released in widescreen, and in a country where Kai 1.0 was released in widescreen?

Ehh, unlikely. AFAIK, Kai TFC was ONLY released in widescreen.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Isn't there a 4:3 HD bluray release on the horizon somewhere outside of Japan? Was it France? I could have sworn I read about that happening in a thread or something. Maybe we'll get lucky and I'll be able to use that footage.
A 4:3 HD Blu-ray of Kai TFC, coming out now, when the French dub was one of the first dubs of TFC released and was already broadcast and released in widescreen, and in a country where Kai 1.0 was released in widescreen?

He was talking about Z. Toei HAS remastered the first 13 Z movies, the 4 DB movies, & the specials. The Blu-Rays are available for order & preorder on Amazon Japan right now in multipacks similar to FUNi's. They MIGHT also be doing the same for the 3 shows, which haven't been confirmed yet. The main thing that has people speculating that they are is that Toei themselves are posting pictures of high quality screencaps of either shots from the shows, or the animation cels to Twitter. I'm holding out hope, but we'll see what's gonna happen. Hopefully there'll be no more censorship like the second Broly movie & I think Fusion Reborn, since these are home media releases as opposed to TV airings.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:20 pm

It's Spain.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:29 am

Just posting to say Z recut is the true thing I'm waiting for and I can't wait. Hopefully the blu rays Toei are supposedly doing come out soon.

LHB

Post by LHB » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Not sure if this has been asked already, but which subtitles do you plan to use for DBZ Recut? The original subtitles on the Blu-Rays, or the "improved" subtitles used for Kai? I've never watched Kai subbed, so I can't comment on the quality of the new subtitles, but I found the dialogue of the original Z subs to be pretty stilted sounding compared to Mandelin's subs for DB (despite Mandelin's glossing over of individual speech patterns and using "alright" instead of "all right").

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:

He was talking about Z.
Was definitely talking about Z (and OG Dragon Ball). But hey, a proper HD remaster of the series is starting to look very promising! Doesn't look good for the original DB, though. They seem to be focused specifically on Z again... Hopefully those blu-rays coming out in Spain this year are proper HD remasters and not upscales; I'd love to put out Dragon Ball Recut in HD.
LHB wrote:Not sure if this has been asked already, but which subtitles do you plan to use for DBZ Recut? The original subtitles on the Blu-Rays, or the "improved" subtitles used for Kai? I've never watched Kai subbed, so I can't comment on the quality of the new subtitles, but I found the dialogue of the original Z subs to be pretty stilted sounding compared to Mandelin's subs for DB (despite Mandelin's glossing over of individual speech patterns and using "alright" instead of "all right").
I've thought about this a little bit, and it really depends on how much more work I want to do. While I'd love to use the improved Kai subs (granted the Japanese script is the same), it's a lot of additional work for a project that is already very heavy on work. I'll probably cross that bridge when I come to it, but I can't definitively say which subtitles I'll be using at the moment.

AustNerevar

Post by AustNerevar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 pm

Forgive my naivete, but what is the reasoning behind using the Dragon Box rips instead of the Blu Brick remasters? I understand why the Dragon Box release of Z is superior to the Orange Bricks, but as far as I know, the Blue Bricks for Dragonball have the show in the original 4:3 aspect ration, however the coloring has been corrected and the film has been cleaned up.

Just curious.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:31 pm

AustNerevar wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 pm Forgive my naivete, but what is the reasoning behind using the Dragon Box rips instead of the Blu Brick remasters? I understand why the Dragon Box release of Z is superior to the Orange Bricks, but as far as I know, the Blue Bricks for Dragonball have the show in the original 4:3 aspect ration, however the coloring has been corrected and the film has been cleaned up.

Just curious.
They're degrained, and the encode isn't particularly great in the first place. They're not from the original masters, so they lack a lot of the dark detail found in the Dragon Box set, and they're also zoomed-in dramatically.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Ajay wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:31 pmThey're degrained, and the encode isn't particularly great in the first place. They're not from the original masters, so they lack a lot of the dark detail found in the Dragon Box set, and they're also zoomed-in dramatically.
I wouldn't say dramatically, but I get the frustration with the picture on the blue bricks if you know about this fact.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:36 am

I don't think it's possible, but i would like to know if you can add french subtitles in your releases, @ IAmTheMilkMan. :)

AustNerevar

Post by AustNerevar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Just curious, what was the reason why you chose to leave in the Ice-World segment in episode 62 of DB Recut? Unless I'm just forgetting about it, none of that was in the manga.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm

AustNerevar wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:44 pm Just curious, what was the reason why you chose to leave in the Ice-World segment in episode 62 of DB Recut? Unless I'm just forgetting about it, none of that was in the manga.
I’m assuming it’s probably because of how deeply integrated it is into obtaining the Super Divine Water, though I would’ve thought that even if some of it had to stay, a bit more of what was left in could have been cut out.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Clemsi wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:36 am I don't think it's possible, but i would like to know if you can add french subtitles in your releases, @ IAmTheMilkMan. :)
I would love to add foreign language subtitles to my releases! Dubs, too! Unfortunately, while it is possible, it's very labor intensive, and I already have way too much on my plate as it is. Plus, there's the issue of me not speaking the language, so I would have to trust that the subtitles I'm dealing with are correct, though that may not be as big an issue as dealing with the dubs. Perhaps far, far down the line when I've completed everything and have some spare time on my hands I'll get around to it, but as of now there are no plans.
SaiyamanMS wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm
AustNerevar wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:44 pm Just curious, what was the reason why you chose to leave in the Ice-World segment in episode 62 of DB Recut? Unless I'm just forgetting about it, none of that was in the manga.
I’m assuming it’s probably because of how deeply integrated it is into obtaining the Super Divine Water, though I would’ve thought that even if some of it had to stay, a bit more of what was left in could have been cut out.
This has been asked before, and yes, the reason is that there was just no good way to cut around it. And believe me, I tried. I actually did attempt to shorten it after conceding that it had to be left in, but even that didn't work; every time I'd remove anything, the whole sequence would fall apart. It's been years since I edited it, but I recall being quite frustrated with Toei for creating such a lengthy piece of integrated filler that didn't work if any bit of it was cut.

Anyway, I'm currently finishing up the Android/Cell arc of Kai. I'm working on the last major hurdle at the moment, and that is reinserting the Yamamoto score. In doing so, I find myself remembering why I took a step back from this project two years ago. It's the worst. But it's almost done, so I'll have that out shortly.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:39 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 pm Anyway, I'm currently finishing up the Android/Cell arc of Kai. I'm working on the last major hurdle at the moment, and that is reinserting the Yamamoto score.
Why not just use the already existing Yamamoto Revivial edit by SuperSaiyanHedgehog? I'm sure he wouldn't mind.