Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:35 pm

MistaL wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:33 am
GorillaCentral wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:50 am Excellent project. Any updates on the Buu saga?
Milkman mentioned a few pages back that syncing the Dragon Box footage to the Kai TFC audio was taking way longer than anticipated due to the absurd amount of cuts made to pretty much every shot. Shit takes time, especially if he has a job or any other obligations.

With any luck maybe me talking will summon another batch like before, hahaha.
As someone who experimented with doing that, just doing half of the first episode is a bit of a challenge. You need to cut out some footage, speed up other footage, & locate other pieces. It's not easy.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Clemsi

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Clemsi » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:16 am

@IAmTheMilkMan, I talked with @Andiandi of Team Mirolo about Dragon Ball Recut, and he said that you used the V1 of the Broadcast Audio.
If you are planning to make a V3 of Dragon Ball Recut, I hope you will use the V2 of the Broadcast Audio and add my french subtitles to your release. :wink:

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:38 am

Attempted my first edit, damn wondershare!! Kept deleting every clip I tried to edit. At this rate it's easier to pay someone!!

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:35 am

Grim_Furīza wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:38 am Attempted my first edit, damn wondershare!! Kept deleting every clip I tried to edit. At this rate it's easier to pay someone!!
Use something better than Wondershare, like Vegas or Premiere. If you can't afford them and don't want to attempt other means, check out Olive Video Editor which is heavily based on Premiere but is free and open source.

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 am

MistaL wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:35 am
Grim_Furīza wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:38 am Attempted my first edit, damn wondershare!! Kept deleting every clip I tried to edit. At this rate it's easier to pay someone!!
Use something better than Wondershare, like Vegas or Premiere. If you can't afford them and don't want to attempt other means, check out Olive Video Editor which is heavily based on Premiere but is free and open source.
Thank you so much!! I'll have to go for olive for now. I've been a little reckless with money lately lol

Your comment before this one!! Man I was seriously hoping you were going to be right about the coincidence when you comment more episodes come out. Been on the edge of my seat ever since!! Lol

GorillaCentral

Post by GorillaCentral » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:19 pm

GorillaCentral wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:50 am Excellent project. Any updates on the Buu saga?
Milkman mentioned a few pages back that syncing the Dragon Box footage to the Kai TFC audio was taking way longer than anticipated due to the absurd amount of cuts made to pretty much every shot. Shit takes time, especially if he has a job or any other obligations.

I'm still pretty new to the whole home media mess but I understand that the Buu Saga had two versions with one being shitty with a ton of censorship and missing manga content and one with none of those issues. Milkman is using the "good" version, right? Godspeed he's an absolute legend for taking this project on,

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:56 am

GorillaCentral wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:19 pm

I'm still pretty new to the whole home media mess but I understand that the Buu Saga had two versions with one being shitty with a ton of censorship and missing manga content and one with none of those issues. Milkman is using the "good" version, right? Godspeed he's an absolute legend for taking this project on,
It's a bit more complicated than that.

I don't think there's any difference between the two regarding censorship. There are two versions though, one released in Japan which is titled Dragon Ball Kai like the rest, and one released everywhere else called Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters. Japanese Boo Kai has less filler and is 61 episodes long, while Kai: The Final Chapters retains a bunch of filler for no reason and is 69 episodes long (Kai: The Final Chapters was also produced first and it shows, as some elements seem unfinished like inferior OP animation and Super Boo's eyes turning red midway through the fight).

However, both kinda suck. They're both cropped to 16:9 and have a horrendous green tint, and the remastering process was done in-house at Toei this time rather than Q-Tec, so the footage does not look anywhere near as good as it did for the first 98 episodes; and the Japanese version also has a heavy sharpening filter applied to the image which causes haloing. Neither cut of Boo Kai should have been released in this state, and therefore the footage is basically unusable if you actually value the quality of the show.

So, because of this, Milkman is using simply the audio from Kai: The Final Chapters and editing it down from there since it's the only version with an English dub. The footage, however, is footage from the Dragon Box release of Dragon Ball Z so it doesn't have the cropping or ugly green tint that the Boo Kai/TFC footage has.

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:15 pm

Clemsi wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:16 am @IAmTheMilkMan, I talked with @Andiandi of Team Mirolo about Dragon Ball Recut, and he said that you used the V1 of the Broadcast Audio.
If you are planning to make a V3 of Dragon Ball Recut, I hope you will use the V2 of the Broadcast Audio and add my french subtitles to your release. :wink:
I'd like to see that too.

I hope Z Recut also uses the Broadcast Audio.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:43 pm

roseofpain wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:15 pm I hope Z Recut also uses the Broadcast Audio.
He already confirmed somewhere in the thread that it will

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:09 pm

@IAmTheMilkMan can replace an audio track with a new one or add a new one without re-encoding the video ?

I am asking myself that question because I wonder how he replaced the Dragon Box Japanese Audio with The Broadcast Audio ?
Is it something easy to do ?
I don't know much about editing and encoding...

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:50 pm

Clemsi wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:09 pm @IAmTheMilkMan can replace an audio track with a new one or add a new one without re-encoding the video ?

I am asking myself that question because I wonder how he replaced the Dragon Box Japanese Audio with The Broadcast Audio ?
Is it something easy to do ?
I don't know much about editing and encoding...
I assume it was as simple as making sure the broadcast audio had the same timing as the Dragon Box audio, then re-linking the audio source in the video editor to the broadcast audio.

It is possible to add or replace an audio track without re-encoding the video (which is what I assume he did with the broadcast audio update since it'd save a lot of time). MKV is a container format, not a video or audio codec in itself, so you can add, remove, extract, etc. any video, audio, or subtitle streams in it (and even include other files like specific fonts for the subtitles, chapters, etc.).

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:06 pm

Thank you for your answer !
So replacing the V1 of the Broadcast Audio with its V2 will be an easy task ?

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:08 pm

Clemsi wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:06 pm Thank you for your answer !
So replacing the V1 of the Broadcast Audio with its V2 will be an easy task ?
Yeah, if Milkman gets around to it I imagine it won't be too difficult

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:39 pm

That's good to know.
Should I send a private message to @IAmTheMilkMan when I am done translating the english subtitles in French ?

spin1490

Post by spin1490 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 pm

Do we have any confirmation milkman is still working on this? Last post from him was over a year ago and it sounded like he was close to being done, and then nothing after that.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:59 pm

spin1490 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 pm Do we have any confirmation milkman is still working on this? Last post from him was over a year ago and it sounded like he was close to being done, and then nothing after that.
There's nothing to indicate he'd quit, and gaps like this happened before. In his last post he literally said he'd rather not say anything unless it's done, so just wait.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:38 am

The last comment in the comment section of the release says "poor video quality, sorry but it’s bad, no point in using high quality dbox source:("... :eh:

He said that because he compared Dragon Ball Recut with the release of iKaos or because he is a troll ?
When the size of the video file is big, the video quality is way better ?

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:48 pm

I'm trying to make a brazillian portuguese version of Dragon Ball Recut and Kai Recut, my ideia is to sync the brazillian dub and translate the subtitles.
Looking at some old replys in the thread, it looks like Milkman encouraged fans to adapt the project in other languages, so can I do that?

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:16 pm

LukZ wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:48 pm I'm trying to make a brazillian portuguese version of Dragon Ball Recut and Kai Recut, my ideia is to sync the brazillian dub and translate the subtitles.
Looking at some old replys in the thread, it looks like Milkman encouraged fans to adapt the project in other languages, so can I do that?
He hasn't replied in a long time but I mean, this is an edit of a show made by other people, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind others contributing to their own localizations of it.

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:11 pm

MistaL wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:16 pm
LukZ wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:48 pm I'm trying to make a brazillian portuguese version of Dragon Ball Recut and Kai Recut, my ideia is to sync the brazillian dub and translate the subtitles.
He hasn't replied in a long time but I mean, this is an edit of a show made by other people, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind others contributing to their own localizations of it.
Thank you, so I will continue editing. I'm currently near the end of Pilaf saga, episode 8. But it's just the dub sync, I haven't started to translate the subs yet.