Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:06 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:I was really happy to see your cut featured on a certain fanedit database!
Yeah, it's neat to have it listed on there. It's currently up for Favorite Edit of the Month, though I think it has about zero chance of winning seeing as how there don't seem to be a lot of hardcore Dragon Ball fans over there and, let's face it, who else is going to watch it? The casual fan-editor isn't going to want to sit through a 30-hour television series that they have little to no interest in. Still, it's cool to see it featured on the site. And thank you, I'm glad you enjoy it!
Just logged in to put in my vote for it. Even if you don't win, your edit is still brilliant and deserves recognition!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Quintex

Post by Quintex » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:44 am

You have no idea how excited I am to watch Kai Recut, Dragon Ball Recut is the best way to watch DB bar none. But there is one urgent question... Will Kai Recut have Yamamoto's score or Kikuchi's replacement score? Or will it have that awkward switch in between? Either way, you've got me even more psyched for Kai's Buu Saga. With your expertise, it'll be every bit as good as the rest of Kai. :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:36 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:...... You wouldn't happen to be the guy who made the cut go from 153 episodes down to 82 would you? If the cut of Dragon Ball that I have is the one that you put together you have much thanks from me man. Cause that cut is fantastic.
Yes, that is my cut. And thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoy it.
I have been watching, and still am, the db Rf version. It's so professionaly done and I love it to bits. Thanks a lot!

PS. Do you recut Kai in Japanese? Can't wait until you recut the boo saga!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:48 am

Danfun64 wrote:This is great for what it does, but i would have approached such a project as a multilanguage project (not just Japanese and English) that kept filler to a minimum, but was willing to keep whatever is necessary so that things would be smooth no matter what language your watching or listening to. For example, i could be wrong, but Kid Goku doesn't "propose" to Chi-Chi where he originally does, but he does in a filler that happens before 23rd Tenchaichi Bodukai (don't kill me if that's spelled wrong). Yes, this does involve polishing turds, but it provides lots of choice. Of course, the Z section would be handled differently compared to original DB. On the English dub front, since both DBZ and DBZ Kai have lossless surround sound, i would try fitting in the Kai voice acting wherever possible, only using the original voice acting where necessary (for example, manga scenes cut in Kai for no reason, which is mainly a problem with the Saiyan and especially the Boo sagas). As for the French, Catalan, Galician dubs, the Kai audio would be used most of the time for Saiyan-Cell sagas, and almost all the time for the Boo sagas (unless cut manga scenes have no music playing...). German would use mostly Z footage, using Kai audio either for retained filler scenes or scenes kept in Kai but removed from german Z dub due to French censorship.

Of course, i wouldn't do such a project unless i had a lot of money to burn. Just on the Japanese front alone I would need all the Dragon Boxes and the movie Laserdiscs. English I would need Blue Bricks, DB movie 4-pack, Kai Blu-Ray Parts, Blu-Ray Season Sets, Blu-Ray Level Sets (for creditless OP1v1 and OP1v2, editing everything to match Dragon Box framing and colors), Funi Dragon Boxes, Pioneer Movie Laserdiscs, Double Feature Blu-Rays, perhaps a few AB Groupe "Big Green" dub dvds, both of the fandubs for the Bardock special, possibly the Harmony Gold DB Movie 1-3 double feature, possibly the Phillipine DBZ Movie 5-6 double feature, Green Bricks, DBGT Singles... just looking for the best resources for Japanese and English alone would cost a small fortune.
I could help you a bit with this if you're 110% dedicated and sure you can do it (maybe you could work with the thread starter?). Check your pm.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:50 am

I appreciate the gesture, but I know that I couldn't undertake this task for a long time. I lack the time, money, and patience to deal with this right now. Though I would love to do it someday, its not going to be today, or this month, or even this year.

Maybe in a few years, when I am living independently, have several terabytes of storage handy, and am able to legally acquire everything i would need (well, as much as possible anyways *cough* Mexican dub *cough*), and when i either learn a few languages or have somebody provide super-literal transcripts of what everybody is saying in each dub, then i might consider doing such a fandub. Alas, your offer of support is premature sangofe. Thanks for offering it, though.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

darkerspare

Post by darkerspare » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:48 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: As I said, it's a work in progress. I don't plan on releasing it until I'm completely finished with everything, and that includes the Buu saga meaning that I have to wait on Funimation to release their new English dub.
What do you think of the flaws of the raw footage itself? The green tint, and 16:9 cropping not to mention the most spoilery opening ever (my pet peeve). In my dream world, Funimation would release the definitive 4:3 Blu-Ray release we all want, then OP would work on recutting that footage while mixing in the Kai dub.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:21 pm

darkerspare wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: As I said, it's a work in progress. I don't plan on releasing it until I'm completely finished with everything, and that includes the Buu saga meaning that I have to wait on Funimation to release their new English dub.
What do you think of the flaws of the raw footage itself? The green tint, and 16:9 cropping not to mention the most spoilery opening ever (my pet peeve). In my dream world, Funimation would release the definitive 4:3 Blu-Ray release we all want, then OP would work on recutting that footage while mixing in the Kai dub.
Uhh... you do know that the international opening is different and has less spoilers. Or how about mixing the JP and INT openings to make a perfect spoiler free opening?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Small question, will the Kai recut use Kikuchi's or Yamamoto's score?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

darkerspare

Post by darkerspare » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:48 pm

simtek34 wrote:
darkerspare wrote:
Uhh... you do know that the international opening is different and has less spoilers. Or how about mixing the JP and INT openings to make a perfect spoiler free opening?
Just looked at the international opening...Not as bad but still pretty bad with respect to spoilers. I was thinking that reusing the Z Buu saga opening would be the best bet but your suggestion is probably better if it could be done smoothly. (with the JP opening song preferably imo). If not, then perhaps my suggestion. Still doesn't say anything about the other glaring flaws of the footage though. I feel like all the work would have been a waste when a better quality, uncropped version is released down the road.

The only useful thing to come out of Kai-Buu will be the dub. The footage itself is trash.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:28 am

Quintex wrote:Will Kai Recut have Yamamoto's score or Kikuchi's replacement score? Or will it have that awkward switch in between?
Helios518 wrote:will the Kai recut use Kikuchi's or Yamamoto's score?
Yamamoto for everything pre-Boo, and then Sumitomo for Boo.
sangofe wrote:Do you recut Kai in Japanese?
Actually, I'm giving equal attention to both the English and Japanese tracks this time around as opposed to Dragon Ball Recut where I almost exclusively paid attention to the Japanese track. I quite like the English dub of Kai, so I keep both of them in mind when editing. Actually, I think I tend to favor the English dub sometimes if only because I prefer the original Japanese dub for Z over Kai's. But both languages are being given equal treatment.

However, it is much easier messing around with a 5.1 audio track than a 2 channel stereo track. For that reason, sometimes the English fares better than the Japanese, but there are times where the opposite holds true as well.

I really wish that the Japanese track were available in 5.1 because, as it turns out, trying to edit and digitally alter a stereo track isn't all that much different from doing the same to a mono track, like I did with Dragon Ball. I was so looking forward to that aspect of the project being much easier and flexible this time but the difficulty has proven to be about the same, and it frustrates me. I'd say it's only marginally easier dealing with stereo than mono.
darkerspare wrote:What do you think of the flaws of the raw footage itself? The green tint, and 16:9 cropping
I don't like them. I am going to do my best to remove the green tint (shouldn't be too difficult, right?) and am hoping against hope that Funimation will miraculously release it in 4:3. Otherwise, I may end up releasing two different versions--one in 16:9 HD and the other utilizing 4:3 Dragon Box footage. Don't know for sure yet, though, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
darkerspare wrote:not to mention the most spoilery opening ever (my pet peeve).
That is a pet peeve that we share and I've already been taking measures to correct this while editing up through the Android/Cell saga. For example, I waited until Freeza was fully transformed to allow that sequence to make its debut in the opening theme, and so on. Back when Boo Kai first aired in Japan, I threw my arms up in the air over that spoiler-tastic opening, and rest assured that I will be taking steps to correct it (hopefully I will be able to).
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Quintex

Post by Quintex » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:11 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Quintex wrote:Will Kai Recut have Yamamoto's score or Kikuchi's replacement score? Or will it have that awkward switch in between?
Helios518 wrote:will the Kai recut use Kikuchi's or Yamamoto's score?
Yamamoto for everything pre-Boo, and then Sumitomo for Boo.
sangofe wrote:Do you recut Kai in Japanese?
Actually, I'm giving equal attention to both the English and Japanese tracks this time around as opposed to Dragon Ball Recut where I almost exclusively paid attention to the Japanese track. I quite like the English dub of Kai, so I keep both of them in mind when editing. Actually, I think I tend to favor the English dub sometimes if only because I prefer the original Japanese dub for Z over Kai's. But both languages are being given equal treatment.

However, it is much easier messing around with a 5.1 audio track than a 2 channel stereo track. For that reason, sometimes the English fares better than the Japanese, but there are times where the opposite holds true as well.

I really wish that the Japanese track were available in 5.1 because, as it turns out, trying to edit and digitally alter a stereo track isn't all that much different from doing the same to a mono track, like I did with Dragon Ball. I was so looking forward to that aspect of the project being much easier and flexible this time but the difficulty has proven to be about the same, and it frustrates me. I'd say it's only marginally easier dealing with stereo than mono.
darkerspare wrote:What do you think of the flaws of the raw footage itself? The green tint, and 16:9 cropping
I don't like them. I am going to do my best to remove the green tint (shouldn't be too difficult, right?) and am hoping against hope that Funimation will miraculously release it in 4:3. Otherwise, I may end up releasing two different versions--one in 16:9 HD and the other utilizing 4:3 Dragon Box footage. Don't know for sure yet, though, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
darkerspare wrote:not to mention the most spoilery opening ever (my pet peeve).
That is a pet peeve that we share and I've already been taking measures to correct this while editing up through the Android/Cell saga. For example, I waited until Freeza was fully transformed to allow that sequence to make its debut in the opening theme, and so on. Back when Boo Kai first aired in Japan, I threw my arms up in the air over that spoiler-tastic opening, and rest assured that I will be taking steps to correct it (hopefully I will be able to).
Once this is done the entirety of Dragon Ball will be perfected in anime form. This man is absolutely amazing. You really go above and beyond. All I can say is thanks for being so awesome!

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:55 pm

Out of curiosity, what encoder (I assume ffmpeg/libx264) & settings did you use for your final encode?
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:58 pm

@IAmTheMilkMan
I commend you on all your hard work! It's amazing that you were able to bring it down to 82 episodes. I never realized there was THAT much filler in the original Dragonball. I was hoping that there would be an official DB Kai after DBZ was completed but this sounds even better and with less filler.

I found a torrent stating that it's Dual-Audio. You mentioned it was only released with the Japanese dub so I was curious what "dual audio" meant there. Thanks again.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Quintex wrote:Once this is done the entirety of Dragon Ball will be perfected in anime form. This man is absolutely amazing. You really go above and beyond. All I can say is thanks for being so awesome!
Wow! Thank you for the kind words!
thejeremymenace wrote:Out of curiosity, what encoder (I assume ffmpeg/libx264) & settings did you use for your final encode?
Yep, x264, CRF 18. If you would like more specifics, let me know and I will try my best to get them to you. I'm not an encoding wizard or anything, I just find what settings I think yield good results and I stick with them.
Skar wrote:I commend you on all your hard work! It's amazing that you were able to bring it down to 82 episodes. I never realized there was THAT much filler in the original Dragonball.
Thank you! Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of people tend to gloss over the filler in the original Dragon Ball, often saying things like "the original Dragon Ball doesn't have that much filler at all and what is there adds to the story" which leads me to believe that A) they are only referring to the first 13 episode arc, which is probably all they've watched, or B) they have never read the manga and therefore don't realize how much of what they're watching is actually filler. In the case of B, more power to them because if they are able to watch the show and enjoy the filler then they have nothing to worry about. While it's true that it definitely contains less filler than Dragon Ball Z, it still has a fair share of its own as well.
Skar wrote:I found a torrent stating that it's Dual-Audio. You mentioned it was only released with the Japanese dub so I was curious what "dual audio" meant there. Thanks again.
Oh no, it's definitely dual-audio. I released it with both Japanese and English audio tracks, I just gave priority to the Japanese dub while editing, that's all. Rest assured, both dubs are included.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:31 am

I'ver been watching so far and I only have 1 thing to say:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:16 pm

I hope to see this completed some day, it will probably be my go-to version.
Retired.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I'm doing Z Recut because I really want a Manga faithful version with the original Japanese audio from Z.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:16 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I'm doing Z Recut because I really want a Manga faithful version with the original Japanese audio from Z.
Are you using the Funi Blu-Ray's Audio, it's a few notches above the rest. Also, if you don't have any DBox footage for the cut, feel free to contact me and we can arrange some way to make it happen.
Retired.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I'm doing Z Recut because I really want a Manga faithful version with the original Japanese audio from Z.
Are you using the Funi Blu-Ray's jp Audio? It's a few notches above the rest. Also, if you don't have any DBox footage for the cut, feel free to contact me and we can arrange some way to make it happen.
Retired.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Not really needed as much as DB/Z/Kai but does anyone think that it's possible to improve on Super's pacing without removing important plot points and creating many inconstencies?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"