Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

PrincessJapanese
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by PrincessJapanese » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Downloading now :) Thanks for all the hard work Milkman. Man, looking at that list of Dub lines you could and couldn't fix. Must of have been a frustrating process combing through all the Dub dialogue to find what you need.

But that's the Dub! What I'm in for is the Japanese dialogue! Can't wait to watch it.

I see you weren't able to make a Yamamoto Japanese score for the last two episodes.
It just seems impossible. Well Kikuchi is still classic. That website you posted says it's an A.I powered vocal removal service? What?!
lol we're gonna use Skynet to make Japanese Scored Dragon Ball episodes. The future is now!

Next up is Boo... ugh the official Kai 2.0... Just thinking about it makes me ill.

Thanks again Milkman for everything.

User avatar
MistaL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by MistaL » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Excited for the Boo Saga! Finally, a full manga-accurate version of it in 4:3 without the stupid Hell stuff! If Funimation decides to tone down the DNR on the upcoming blu-ray, will you be switching to that and scrapping the current progress, or finishing and releasing the Dragon Box version first and doing the HD version as an update? I think, with the news of how much better the framing is on the blu-ray than it initially seemed, if Funi just tones down the DNR (and the over-saturation and bad CC hopefully, though those would be fixable on your end so it's not the end of the world) then it would be perfect for wrapping up Kai Recut, and would be a great video source for Z Recut.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:32 am

One suggestion: use the original dub's line of Mr. Satan, in English, of turning Bee into a hot dog. I think I suggested this before, but I thought to do it again.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:39 pm

MistaL wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:42 pm
In the Dragon Box footage version of the Boo Saga, are you going to make Super Boo's eyes red consistently like Toriyama intended, or just have them suddenly turn red as they do in the anime? And for the Kai footage version, are you going to use the Japanese version that has his eyes red from the start, or the international version that has them fade to red later on?
Consistently red on both counts, hopefully.
PrincessJapanese wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 pm
Man, looking at that list of Dub lines you could and couldn't fix. Must of have been a frustrating process combing through all the Dub dialogue to find what you need.
Oof... you have no idea. It wasn't horribly frustrating because it more or less consisted of just watching the dub and paying attention to when a character said something I might be able to use, and then keeping a log. But it was a very long process. There were a couple lines in the first 47 episodes that I had to do that for as well.
PrincessJapanese wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 pm
I see you weren't able to make a Yamamoto Japanese score for the last two episodes.
It just seems impossible. Well Kikuchi is still classic. That website you posted says it's an A.I powered vocal removal service? What?!
lol we're gonna use Skynet to make Japanese Scored Dragon Ball episodes. The future is now!
Yeah, I'm super bummed that I wasn't able to. But fingers crossed that something works out in the future.
MistaL wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:59 pm
If Funimation decides to tone down the DNR on the upcoming blu-ray, will you be switching to that and scrapping the current progress, or finishing and releasing the Dragon Box version first and doing the HD version as an update? I think, with the news of how much better the framing is on the blu-ray than it initially seemed, if Funi just tones down the DNR (and the over-saturation and bad CC hopefully, though those would be fixable on your end so it's not the end of the world) then it would be perfect for wrapping up Kai Recut, and would be a great video source for Z Recut.
I'll probably switch to that in the unlikely event that it happens. I wouldn't have to scrap any progress, it'd just be a matter of laying the new footage over the old. But I'm not going to count on Funimation to actually get that right, as much as I'd like for it to happen.


So, does anyone have any suggestions on where to pull alternate footage from for the Boo Kai openings in order for me to make them less spoilerific? Also, do you think I should letterbox or crop them for the 4:3 version? Letterboxing would be the smarter choice, obviously, and I'm sure some of you are appalled that I'm even suggesting a crop to 4:3, but that would make for more visual consistency.

PrincessJapanese
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by PrincessJapanese » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Letterbox please. Screw cropping forever. I never want to see cropped Dragon Ball ever again in my life.

Sigh this is reminding me that they cropped The Simpsons to for the HD versions as well.

The two shows I grew up with in the 90s are being disrespected so bad.

Do spoilers in the opening really matter? I doubt anyone is experiencing Dragon Ball for the first time with a Fan Edit lol. Maybe like two people in the world? Also I consider spoilers in an anime opening a pretty normal thing.

And I finally watched the episodes Milkman! Soooooo gooooood!

Thanks again for everything!

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:31 pm

No cropping whatsoever, please. Visual consistency be damned.

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:08 pm

PrincessJapanese wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:23 pm
Letterbox please. Screw cropping forever. I never want to see cropped Dragon Ball ever again in my life.
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:31 pm
No cropping whatsoever, please. Visual consistency be damned.
Good. I'm relieved that these were your answers. I didn't want to have to crop them, though I would have if enough people wanted it. I'm glad you're okay with the letterboxing.
Scsigs wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:32 am
One suggestion: use the original dub's line of Mr. Satan, in English, of turning Bee into a hot dog. I think I suggested this before, but I thought to do it again.
I'll try to use whichever is more accurate whenever possible. I'll pay attention to this line in particular when I get to it.

User avatar
SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:01 pm

PrincessJapanese wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:23 pm
Do spoilers in the opening really matter? I doubt anyone is experiencing Dragon Ball for the first time with a Fan Edit lol. Maybe like two people in the world? Also I consider spoilers in an anime opening a pretty normal thing.
I used DB Recut to introduce my girlfriend to the franchise, and I’m pretty sure I’ve read about other instances of people introducing their loved ones to the series with Recut as well.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 pm
Notable Cuts/Alterations:
Sweet merciful gravy. I decided to skip to this episode to check out this edit. It really is masterfully done in both Japanese and English.

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 pm
Notable Cuts/Alterations:
Sweet merciful gravy. I decided to skip to this episode to check out this edit. It really is masterfully done in both Japanese and English.
Phew. Well that's a relief. Thanks for checking it out, I hope you enjoy the rest as well!

Regarding the spoilers in Boo Kai, I've taken a closer look, and I'll do my best for the opening and endings, but it looks like the eye-catches are beyond saving. I was hoping to use the original set of Goku firing a Kamehameha and then Genki-Dama for a while in place of the fusion dance and potara merge, but the damn Kai logo isn't in the same place as it was for the first 98 episodes, so I can't see that working. I think we'll just have to resign ourselves to being spoiled a bit with Boo Kai. Oh well, Z will be better in that regard.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm
Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 pm
Notable Cuts/Alterations:
Sweet merciful gravy. I decided to skip to this episode to check out this edit. It really is masterfully done in both Japanese and English.
Phew. Well that's a relief. Thanks for checking it out, I hope you enjoy the rest as well!

Regarding the spoilers in Boo Kai, I've taken a closer look, and I'll do my best for the opening and endings, but it looks like the eye-catches are beyond saving. I was hoping to use the original set of Goku firing a Kamehameha and then Genki-Dama for a while in place of the fusion dance and potara merge, but the damn Kai logo isn't in the same place as it was for the first 98 episodes, so I can't see that working. I think we'll just have to resign ourselves to being spoiled a bit with Boo Kai. Oh well, Z will be better in that regard.
That's fine, for me anyway. I'm way less concerned about eye catches and openings as long as the actual episodes feel tight and well edited. Which, after the Super Saiyan Vegeta edit, I have no concerns about.

Shon87
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Shon87 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 am

For Z Recut, will you be using the level sets for the Saiyan Arc and then just Dragon Box footage for the rest? How about broadcast audio for the Japanese track?

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Shon87 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 am
For Z Recut, will you be using the level sets for the Saiyan Arc and then just Dragon Box footage for the rest? How about broadcast audio for the Japanese track?
Nah, I'm just going to stick with (hopefully color-corrected) Dragon Box footage throughout. However, I do plan on also making an HD version at some point using what sources we currently have, and I may use the level sets for some of that.

Shon87
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Shon87 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 pm
Shon87 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 am
For Z Recut, will you be using the level sets for the Saiyan Arc and then just Dragon Box footage for the rest? How about broadcast audio for the Japanese track?
Nah, I'm just going to stick with (hopefully color-corrected) Dragon Box footage throughout. However, I do plan on also making an HD version at some point using what sources we currently have, and I may use the level sets for some of that.
Ah okay. How about Japanese broadcast audio?

User avatar
MistaL
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by MistaL » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Shon87 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 pm
Shon87 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 am
For Z Recut, will you be using the level sets for the Saiyan Arc and then just Dragon Box footage for the rest? How about broadcast audio for the Japanese track?
Nah, I'm just going to stick with (hopefully color-corrected) Dragon Box footage throughout. However, I do plan on also making an HD version at some point using what sources we currently have, and I may use the level sets for some of that.
Ah okay. How about Japanese broadcast audio?
He's confirmed he'll be using the broadcast audio a few times earlier in the thread.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm curious about something. I noticed a mild difference in my DB Dragon Box footage and the Dragon Box footage you used for Recut. There's this kind of ugly line on the left side of the screen in my release. I assume you cropped that out? Or is something up with my discs? Because it is in a lot of my episodes and is not in any of yours despite using the Dragon Box. If that is the case then I'm happy with the decision, but I'm just curious.

Unedited Dragon Box
Image

Dragon Ball Recut
Image

Shon87
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Shon87 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:18 pm

MistaL wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:12 pm
Shon87 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Nah, I'm just going to stick with (hopefully color-corrected) Dragon Box footage throughout. However, I do plan on also making an HD version at some point using what sources we currently have, and I may use the level sets for some of that.
Ah okay. How about Japanese broadcast audio?
He's confirmed he'll be using the broadcast audio a few times earlier in the thread.
Sweet. It’s been awhile since I read through the whole thread.

User avatar
DROPOUTCOMPANY
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by DROPOUTCOMPANY » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Question about Z Recut: Do you have plans on what you're going to do about the opening themes in English? As in are you going to use CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA and We Gotta Power for the backing tracks of the opening sequences, or are you gonna stick to the Mark Menza opening theme?

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Shaddy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:50 pm

If he's syncing it to Kai's dub audio with the Kikuchi score out of accuracy, I can only imagine that he'd be keeping the original intro themes.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 am

DROPOUTCOMPANY wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:40 pm
Question about Z Recut: Do you have plans on what you're going to do about the opening themes in English? As in are you going to use CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA and We Gotta Power for the backing tracks of the opening sequences, or are you gonna stick to the Mark Menza opening theme?
Shaddy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:50 pm
If he's syncing it to Kai's dub audio with the Kikuchi score out of accuracy, I can only imagine that he'd be keeping the original intro themes.
That's correct. CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA and We Gotta Power all the way.
Forte224 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:27 pm
I'm curious about something. I noticed a mild difference in my DB Dragon Box footage and the Dragon Box footage you used for Recut. There's this kind of ugly line on the left side of the screen in my release. I assume you cropped that out? Or is something up with my discs? Because it is in a lot of my episodes and is not in any of yours despite using the Dragon Box. If that is the case then I'm happy with the decision, but I'm just curious.
Yep, I cropped it out. For the first episode or two that it appeared, I actually tried to keep it by adjusting the color as best I could to match the rest of the image, but the results weren't as good as I'd hoped, so I just cropped it out after that.

Post Reply